2009 Ford Escape steering problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Feb 242014

Escape

Wheel locks up and doesn't move, power steering does not work either. Have to turn car on and off continually until normal steering functions return. Dropped car off at the dealership immediately! after some research I see this is a very common problem with no recall? very unsafe not only for drivers but surrounding cars on the road as well!!

- Romulus, MI, USA

Feb 142014

Escape 4-cyl

I have a 2009 Ford Escape and I almost got in a accident with my children in the car. As I was turning my power steering locked up and it is extremely hard to maneuver. As I did my research I have found that this is a fairly common problem with the Ford Escape. There have not been any recalls but this should be recalled as it is as it is a safety concern that almost caused me to have an accident. I have contacted Ford Motor Company but all they did was apologize and nothing more. The cost to get my car repaired is about $1500 which my car is currently sitting in the drive way undriveable since I can not afford to repair it at this time.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Feb 152014

Escape 4-cyl

I have experienced intermittent issues with the steering of my vehicle. The steering tightens and I'm unable to turn the steering wheel. I am extremely concerned with this issue since this is a safety issue as it happens frequently as I am driving my vehicle.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Apr 112012

Escape

While driving the vehicle I suddenly lost power and wrench and engine light came on. I was able to turn the car back on after a complete stop. Car was taken immediately to Ford and they said nothing wrong with it and if it happens again bring it in. After multiple times on city streets and interstates which I feared for my life, the car would have no power and the engine would not accelerate when I would step on gas. Had to shut the engine off and restart to make anything work. After that I took it to Ford again and this time they replaced throttle body-air intake which they said there were other vehicles with similar issues. I had to pay out of pocket due to out of warranty but they surely know there is a defect there in the throttle bottle and certainly an endangerment to those driving the vehicle and to those around them.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 142014

Escape

Went to drive my vehicle and sped up to 45 mph and lost all the assistance in power steering. Felt like I could not turn the wheels at all. I slowed down and barely pulled into a parking lot. Told my kids everything will be ok. Started up the vehicle again and it was fine until 10 min later...same issue. Almost wrecked twice with the kids with me.

- Dodgeville, WI, USA

Feb 152014

Escape

While driving around a curve, my steering tightened up and I realized my power steering had malfunctioned. I was able to make the curve safely but steering was extremely difficult. It is my understanding that the electronic power assist steering had malfunctioned and it is not an uncommon problem.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jan 032014

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph off an exit ramp, the power steering assist failed and caused the steering wheel to become extremely difficult to turn. The contact shut off the engine and once restarted, the power steering assist had independently reset. The failure was an intermittent recurrence. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Ashland, OH, USA

Jan 212014

Escape

Power steering goes out without any warnings. Can be out if you turn the car on. If you turn the car off and you start it again the power steering may come back on. Most of the time you have to disconnect the battery and reconnect this usually will fix the problem for a day than you have to disconnect the battery again. The power steering has also gone out during driving as well. I feel that this is a huge safety hazard is may cause accidents.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jan 302014

Escape

First time happened after starting vehicle, I noticed there was a loss of power steering when backing out of a parking spot. This was resolved after I restarted the vehicle. The next time was 2 days later when I in the middle of turning my steering wheel to get off the highway. Power steering cut out completely, thankfully I was the only one around because it took a second to grab the wheel tighter and turn. I have read many accounts of the same thing happening, why hasn't there been a recall? I drive on the highway everyday and it is essential to safety that I am able to steer. I have to live with this for now because I cannot afford a $1200-$1800 repair when I just put money into this car. Also I now notice that my wheel has a lot more "wiggle room" with steering as well as a grinding noise that never was there before.

- Westfield, MA, USA

Oct 112011

Escape 6-cyl

While driving during both incidents the vehicle lost all power steering, stalled, and engine started missing. Tuned vehicle off then tried to restart and wouldn't click, continued missing. Rpms would rise without any movement. Turn vehicle off again to restart and it started correctly. While always driving the vehicle it will jolt while moving as if the transmission wasn't catching gears.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jan 282014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, she heard a loud noise followed by a sudden loss of power steering. The steering wheel had become extremely difficult to maneuver in a vibrating motion. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 242014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph there was a sudden loss of power steering which caused the vehicle to travel out of its lane unexpectedly. The contact was able to regain control and continue driving with difficulty in maneuvering the steering wheel. There was no warning indicator illuminated. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- Kknox, IN, USA

Aug 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Started engine and power steering was not working. Looked up in manual and it said it will go into manual steering if power steering get hot. This has happened a few times but then the power steering would work after each occurrence. Now the steering chatters and shakes the steering wheel even when in park and engine off.

- Posen, MI, USA

Jan 092014

Escape

While slowing down to make a turn, luckily with no traffic present, the steering wheel locked up and became almost impossible to maneuver. As I was making my turn into my work's parking lot the steering failed, mid turn, and I was unfortunate enough to slam into a snow bank that was piled up on the edge of the corner. This was hardly a crash, but a crash none the less. Little cosmetic or body damage was incurred but the fact that my vehicle, which touts strong safety ratings, was in an instant unsafe for the road due to a design flaw in the eps system makes this reviewing hundreds of posts about this same issue, nationwide, it seems that I am not alone in my frustrations that Ford should do something to make this right. Steering is undeniably an essential function of operating a vehicle and being in possession of such a vehicle, that I still am making payments on while struggling through school makes the neglect from Ford highly offensive. It seems that a nationwide back order for a part that is so essential to a vehicle's operation would be appropriate for some sort of recall / compensation for the part needed. Something needs to be done.

- Holt, MI, USA

Dec 312013

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the power steering assist suddenly failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was not available.

- Riverton, UT, USA

Dec 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Safety issue: My 2009 Ford Escape's steering wheel began to shudder/vibrate at idle. In addition, when the vehicle is started, the steering wheel cannot be moved left or right. It locks up. I have to shut the vehicle off and re-start it in order to get the steering wheel to move. Today, I was driving down the road at approximately 45 mph and the steering wheel completely locked up. I could hardly control the vehicle, but was fortunate enough to get it to the side of the road. This could have been disastrous. I had to shut the vehicle off again and turn it back on in order to proceed. This vehicle only has 57,000 miles on it. It has had the regularly scheduled maintenance on it since I purchased it new in Jan 2009. I am extremely concerned about this being a safety issue. I have researched online and have read other complaints on this issue, and would like NHTSA to investigate this based on safety issues. The situation that I experienced today could have resulted in serious injury or fatalities. The consumer had to pay for a new steering column, at 56,000 miles. Updated 02/24/14

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Dec 302013

Escape

Driving down the road, I was trying to det over when all of a sudden the steering acted like it was locked up and very difficult to turn. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off and then turned it back on. The problem quit. This is the 4th time that this has happened and is very scary.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Dec 272013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the freeway from albuquerque to las cruces when my steering became almost impossible to turn the wheel. I quickly pulled off the freeway and called my boyfriend to ask him what to do. He said restart your car see if that resets it. It did work. Then later I parked and the steering wheel just started shaking vigorously. This has happened six more times since then ranging from speeds of 20 to 75 miles and hour. I have read online about this problem and it seems to me to be a very unsafe thing to have happen while driving at high speeds on the freeway. Very scary when all of a sudden you can't steer or its very hard to steer. I also don't understand why Ford would replace the whole steering column versus just the sensor. If I would have been in a big turn and it had stopped working it could have been a horrible wreck. If there is anyway possible that this could be a recall to replace the sensor or column it would make everyone driving feel that much more safer on the roads. Thank you for help with this matter.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 242013

Escape 6-cyl

I purchased a 2009 Escape new. The vehicle now has 142,00 miles and is having an issue. My wife called me on December 24 2013 and said that the car was hard to steer. She said that earlier in the day she was turning into an entrance to a gas station and misjudged where the ramp was and the curb and hoped the curb with drivers side front tire. She said she heard a loud noise and continued to drive into the station to get gas. I told her the noise was most likely the strut bottoming out. I asked her how was the steering after that she said it was fine. This took place in the am. She called me around 5 pm. And said the car was hard to steer again I told her to turn the car off take out the key and open the door and then close the door and restart the car as this would rest all the electronics. She did this and everything was fine. I told her I would look at it when I came home. She called me again around 6 pm and said the same thing happened. I told her to turn it off and restart it again. This cleared up the problem. After getting off work I came home and crawled under the vehicle to see if there was any damage. I found no damage. December 26, 27 she called me and said it was having the same problem.on Dec 27 we where going to take the family out to eat and the steering became hard for me to steer. I turned the car off and reset, issue cleared up. As I was driving I could feel the steering wheel pulsating. I went to dealership, pulled into the service lane and noticed that while in park with the vehicle running the steering wheel pulsated back and forth by it self. The mechanic said that sometimes low battery voltage can cause the problem. I said I was aware of that and did a load test on battery and it is fine as well as the charging system. I went out today Dec 28 and stared the vehicle and there is no power steering. I tried it twice both times the same result.

- Savoy, TX, USA

Sep 152013

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 65 mph, the contact stated that the vehicle began to shake. The contact also stated that the steering wheel became more difficult to turn. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the incident. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA