2010 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 14 of 24)

Jun 122013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving home going around 50 mph uphill when suddenly my car done a big lurch and began to lose power. Thankfully I was able to pull over. Vehicle was not under warranty so I took it to my repair guy who owns his own shop. The dealership charges too much. On 6-18-13 he informed me that the part was on backorder, possibly 3-4 weeks. Well guess what its now 7-20-13 and it still has not come in. Not only am I pissed but when I emailed Ford Motor Company about my concern and problem, they basically told me nothing useful, only that there were no open recalls or warranties open for my vehicle. I told a recall needs to be issued before someone gets killed. So many of these complaints I have read were of people driving on the interstate. And fortunately I am able to borrow my grandma's vehicle and not having to rent one. I had to rent, that would be a whole different story in itself. Fix the problem Ford. Take care of your customers!!! I just hope when the part does finally come, the problem will be fixed and won't reoccur.

- Etoile, KY, USA

Jul 192013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving to work and my car started to jerk. Then my power train light came on and my car totally stopped on me in the middle of the road. I took it to the shop that day and the told me it was my throttle body. My warranty didn't cover it, so I had to pay over 300 dollars for a new part.

- Whitwell, TN, USA

Jul 152013

Escape 4-cyl

My vehicle has been running great until the last week. Three times in the span of an hour drive from one location to my house my vehicle has begun to shake and then quit running. Two of the three times we were driving 65mph on a busy freeway and were unable to control the vehicle, having to allow the car to idle to a stop on the shoulder. Thankfully we were able to do so safely. We drove the vehicle to our dealership for inspection today and the car shook, as if ready to shut down again, the entire trip. I received a call saying the electronic throttle body needs to be replaced. I have since seen several similar safety complaints regarding the same engine part and have requested the original part be returned to me. My vehicle is only three years old and in good condition, and it is entirely unsafe for a car to unexpectedly quit running, period.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jul 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving vehicle at appx. 40 mph when engine started to sputter, lost all power and got no response from accelerator pedal. Wrench light illuminated on dashboard, indicating a "throttle/powertrain" problem. Had to coast to side of road, very dangerously in rush hour traffic. Turned car off, waited 15 minutes, restarted and the car worked normally for approximately 100 yards, then the exact same thing happened-- no response from accelerator, car would not go faster than 2-5 mph, had to coast to side of road.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jun 212013

Escape 4-cyl

Was sitting at light on a Friday night taking a turn when the light turned green it started to die then got it out of the middle of the intersection turned it off and turned it back on and it was fine. Took it in to Ford sheehy that Saturday after it happened wrote the complaint and they said they know what it is and cleaned the throttlebody but there wasn't much more that they could do than that and it was drivable now. Well, this month of July 2013 July 10 I had my son in the car with me going 45 it went to 3 mph in 2 seconds in the middle traffic and the little wrench light came one was able to pull to the side of the road and restarted the car, it seemed fine then went exactly 4 feet and it did it again and the wrench light came on pulled to the side this time when I restarted the check engine light came on did this 5 miles the whole time trying to get home. The next morning check engine was off so thought it was good to go drove it on the highway at 65 miles per hour and got off and the engine went from 40 down to 3 mph with in 2 seconds and got the wrench again, got it started and into work garage and parked it for the day. Thought okay it should be fine to drive it back 26 miles home was going 65 and the car went down to 3 mph on the highway was able to pull coast off as I was coasting it died wrench light came on again. Today coming into work I got 3 miles from home and it repeated the process of 40 down to 3 wrench light on, got it going got to work and 2 blocks from work it repeated the process of 40 down to 3 been sitting all day. Each time I get P2112. This has gotten to be too dangerous for me to drive this car with anyone in it and including myself during rush hour. This has become a daily occurrence.

- Springfield, VA, USA

May 072013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While driving approx 55mph the vehicle shut down. Had to pull over and restart vehicle twice before it would move.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jun 242013

Escape 6-cyl

My 2010 Ford Escape limited has completely lost power when driving on four different occasions. The vehicle will be running find and then you suddenly lose all power. I took the vehicle to my local dealer and they informed me that it was a problem with the electronic throttle body. They also informed me that they did not have the replacement part and were unsure of when they could get it. I find it very dangerous driving a vehicle that could suddenly lose power at anytime. Although I believe Ford should have to replace these defective parts, Ford could at least be responsible enough to have these parts so that I could at least pay to have my vehicle fixed.

- Branson, MO, USA

Jun 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Problem occurred several times and appears to be more frequent. The first time it occurred I was driving 55 miles per hour and all of a sudden the check engine light came on and the gas pedal did nothing, the car did not accelerate. I had to pull over and shut the car off. When I started the car beck up it hesitated, the check engine light turned off, and worked fine. The same thing happened approximately 2 weeks later. Now I noticed that the RPM gauge fluctuates quite a bit when I start the car and then again when I am stopped at a traffic light. Today, I was driving with no problem and stopped because the car in front me was stopped to make a turn. When I tried to continue driving, my car stalled and I had to turn it off and then back on. There were a line of cars behind me and I was almost rear-ended.

- Kerhonkson, NY, USA

Jul 122013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving at 50mph and next thing I know is my whole car was shaking it was a 2010 Ford Escape and I checked the dash and the orange wrench light is on. I tried to step on the gas pedal so I can find a place to pull over but I don't have any power on my gas pedal it just wont accelerate.

- Federal Way , WA, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 4-cyl

Escape sputtered & stalled. Restarted & was serviced by Ford to 'clean' the throttle body. Within a few days, it exhibited the same behavior but much more frequent rendering the car unreliable. Replacement parts are not available from the dealer for another 3-4 weeks.

- Highland Village, TX, USA

Jan 212013

Escape 4-cyl

As I was turning onto a busy street (turning right on red) my car without any indication suddenly lost power. I managed to coast into a parking lot and put the car into park and turn it off. I noticed a wrench symbol appear in the left panel, and the car immediately started again. I had just had my car serviced the day before (Jan 19, 2013). This occurred approximately 3-4 times more over the next few days. I called the service department and described the problem, and took it in. They said they could fin no problem with my car that would cause this to happen. A week or so later it happened again. I called by to the service department and described that the same thing was still happening. They explained that they could see nothing on the machine that indicated a problem. I called Ford and ask about any recalls and was told there were none for my vehicle. The service department recommended that I wait until the problem manifested and call because they were unable to duplicate the problem. Months( late June) then it happened again. I took it in again and was told that everything was fine. On a trip to charlotte nc going approximately 70 mph in the left lane, my car suddenly lost power (scary!!!) I was able to make it to the right shoulder without incident. My car did this approximately eight times between concord nc and goldsboro nc (with two young children in the car). Upon return, I called the service department and took it in again. This time they identified the throttle body--a day late and a dollar short--my car's warranty expired approximately two weeks earlier. My car is at the Ford dealership as I write this waiting to be repaired. I am told the throttle body is on a national backlog. I feel that I have been mistreated as a consumer on so many levels.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Jul 142013

Escape

I was driving about 55 mph when the wrench dashboard indicator light comes on. At the same time my gas pedal ceases to work and car speed decreases. I have to coast onto the shoulder of the road. Thankfully brakes work. Car is still running. I turn car off and wait a minute. Turn back on. It starts. Light is gone and car feels shuddery but continues running.

- Gulf Shores, AL, USA

Jun 262013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the street and about to enter the beltway and I stopped because it was a red light. I pressed the gas as the light turned green and my car felt like it was about to cut off. This wrench symbol showed up on the instrument panel and then my car started acting funny. I had to cut my car off in the middle of the road and was almost hit by cars entering the beltway. I was deathly afraid. I have 2 small grandchildren and I will not put them in harms way. Unfortunately my car has been doing this for the past month. I am afraid to drive my car. I have taken it in for repair and the part I need to fix it is on back order. I have been paying for a rental out of pocket.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 102013

Escape 6-cyl

While accelerating slowly from a stop, the car went about 30 feet and then stalled. After pulling over, and restarting the car, I arrived at my destination without incident, about 8 miles. 2 days later, the same incident occurred after stopping at a red light. The North Carolina consumers council investigation is the same incident as my vehicle.

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

Jul 152013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving to work and all of the sudden I lost power to accelerate. The wrench came on and then the red lock icon came on. It seemed that my car went dead. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned off my car. I had to get to work so I started it back up and drove in the slow lane. I was very scared as I was in rush hour traffic.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jul 052013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving 55mph and the Escape suddenly lost power, decelerating and coming to a stop. The powertrain light came on and the vehicle had a difficult time turning over. The vehicle was taken to a dealership where nothing was found. The incident then occurred again a week later at the same speed. This time the check engine light and oil pressure light came on as well. The vehicle would only start in neutral and then it was taken to the stop. This time it was determined that the throttle body sensor needed to be replaced.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Feb 112013

Escape 6-cyl

The Ford died on the interstate the second day(2/11/13) I owned it. It totally lost power and I had to coast onto the shoulder and wait. I returned it to the dealer where they kept it for a day and found nothing. It occurred three times the next week and I returned to the dealer. They cleaned something and the car worked without incident for a couple weeks. The car has intermittently quit over the last couple months. It got real bad this week (7/10/13) and when I took it to the dealership the computer finally registered a throttle problem. The part is on national back order and should take a month to get.

- Fredericktown, OH, USA

Jul 102013

Escape 4-cyl

My 17 year old daughter has had two occurrences of the vehicle losing all power within the last two days (7/10/2013 and 7/11/2013). Once she was starting from a red light and the other she was driving down the road. Both times she was able to pull off to the side of the road and start the car and continue travel.

- Meridianville, AL, USA

Jun 122013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on a city street on 06/12/13 at approx 35mph and the acceleration/gas pedal lost all power. I pushed on the gas pedal and had no power. My veh was towed to the local Ford dealership (where it was purchased) and I was told it was not a common occurrence and they would order the part for the repair. A veh was not available from the dealership and I had to rent a vehicle. I was told to keep the rental for at least two days. I had the rental vehicle for a week and the part was still not available. We were then able to borrow a vehicle. The dealership told my husband that the part was on back order and they did not know when it would be available. My husband started calling other local Ford dealerships on 06/25/13 and was able to locate the part for the veh. We received a call on 06/26/13 that our veh was repaired. We were not charged for the repair but we are out of $400 for a rental vehicle. This will be my last Ford purchase.

- N Prince George, VA, USA

Jul 062013

Escape 6-cyl

While entering the highway from an inclined on-ramp, acceleration began to decrease even as the gas pedal was being pressed. I was able to coast to the shoulder, stop the engine and restart. The vehicle appeared to have returned to normal function. After traveling about 25 miles on the highway, the vehicle began to lose acceleration as I tried to increase speed to change lanes. The gas pedal was pressed to the floor of the car with no results. As I pressed the pedal the maintenance light and engine light lit up on the dashboard. I was able to get to an exit ramp and coasted to a safe stop. There was no previous warning from the dashboard indicators that there was trouble. I was notified by the dealership, that the throttle body assembly had failed.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA