2010 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 20 of 23)

May 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving 70 mph in left lane of 4 way interstate in rush hour traffic, my car suddenly lost all acceleration and I coasted to a stop on the left shoulder. Engine still ran, but car idled roughly and lurched forward. Turned engine off and called 911 and aaa (was sitting on narrow left shoulder of busy interstate at rush hour). After 10 minutes, called 911 again and they said help was still far away so I started car and was able to drive the car as normal so merged into traffic from left shoulder. By grace of god I was in the left lane when power was lost, not sure I could have made it to either shoulder had it happened while I was in one of the middle lanes. Also glad my 17 month old son wasn't with me, as I was on way to pick him up from daycare. Today (May 2), I drove car to dealer and was told that the problem is a faulty throttle body. Am having it replaced. Was told there is not a recall for this problem. Scary, thought I was going to die.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Apr 222013

Was just pulling out of a gas station and heading to the on-ramp to the highway when the vehicle lost power. Open wrench light came on. I was able to pull over to the side and restart the vehicle. Fortunately this did not occur while on the highway. I was traveling with my 2 children, both under the age of 2 1/2. I brought it to the dealership today. They advised me of the default in the powerthrottle. They did not tell me that an investigation is currently underway, which I feel should be their responsibility. I am being charged $500 to have it fixed. The dealership has advised me that should their be a recall then I would be reimbursed the cost. We purchased the Ford Escape because we thought it was a good product, we will go back to purchasing Japanese vehicles going forwards. Very disappointed....

- Scarborough, NE, USA

Jun 162012

Escape 6-cyl

Without warning, vehicle lost engine power and entered "limp mode" while driving down the interstate at between 65-70 mph. The power train warning lamp illuminated (wrench indicator light) as I pulled over to the side of the interstate. In this "limp mode" the engine continued to idle, but there was insufficient power to propel the vehicle. I switched the vehicle off and then on again with apparently normal operation after the restart. The problem occurred a second time within 500 miles of the first occurrence. I spoke with someone at a Ford dealership and they mentioned the throttle body as the likely source. I had them replace the throttle body and I've not had this problem since. I've driven over 10K miles with the replacement throttle body without this issue occurring again.

- Madison, AL, USA

Apr 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Cruising on a four lane rural highway, not using cruise control. Vehicle suddenly lost acceleration and power. Engine remained running but stepping on the gas would not do anything, the check engine light lit up. Turned hazards on, pulled over to the side (coasting), applied brake, shut car off and restarted. Car proceeded fine to destination. Second incident occurred approximately 6 hours later after car had been sitting. Proceded onto another four lane rural highway cruising at approximately 65 mph and the vehicle did the same thing. Check engine light came on, I pulled over, turned vehicle off, then restarted and proceded to my destination. As this was a Sunday, I took the vehicle into local Ford dealer, was told there was no code to read, but based on my account of the situation, they felt it was a faulty throttle body. They could not confirm until the vehicle would throw the code again. They drove vehicle for over 30 miles and the vehicle did not experience the same issue. With out confirmation of the problem, they could not definitively fix the vehicle.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Apr 022013

The car just shut down - the car in motion or suddenly surging forward when accelerating from a stop.

- Dorado, PR, USA

Apr 202013

Escape 4-cyl

Need to replace the throttle body on my 2010 Ford Escape. I was driving and my vehicle suddenly failed and stopped working. I had a few seconds to pull over to the should before the car turned off. I was able to restart the car and get to my destination, but an accident would have occured had I been making a left hand turn or crossing lanes traffic. I took my car to Ford and was told I had to replace the throttle body, which will cost just under $500. My vehicle is 800 miles outside of warranty. I called Ford and lodged a complaint. I also know see online this is a known issue and should be part of a recall.

- North Palm Beach, FL, USA

Sep 102012

2 different times while driving on the highway with speed limit of 65 on one highway and 70 on another highway car stalled, power steering was out and gas didn't work, both times I was in the middle lane and it was difficult to get car to side of road with oncoming traffic. It happened a few more times when not on the highway, I took it to the dealership and they wanted to charge me 180$ just to find out what was wrong and because it was beyond the 36000 mile warranty they said nothing would be covered, so I took it to our mechanic and it was discovered that is was the throttle body, he replaced it for 500$, it hasn't had the problems since the throttle body was replaced.

- Sachse , TX, USA

Apr 132011

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and also experienced sudden acceleration. The contact mentioned that the check engine and the wrench warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000 and the current mileage was 42,500.

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Feb 102011

Escape 4-cyl

While driving on the highway, I noticed the RPM's increasing but the car wouldn't shift into overdrive, instead it downshifted while traveling at freeway speed. On other occasions, the RPM remained high and the car wouldn't shift at all even after putting it in neutral, while traveling at highway speed. At other times, the car would jump into gear when putting it into reverse or drive.

- Mentor, OH, USA

Apr 132013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the highway, the wrench light came on and gas pedal went soft, had no power. Pulled off to the side, turned the car off for a few minutes. Restarted and continued on with no problem. Same thing happened again the next day. Car is at our Ford dealership now.

- Sheridan, IN, USA

Apr 102013

I was turning a corner, the car lost power, when I pressed on the accelerator there was no power. The wrench and engine lights appeared. They had to replace the throttle body and I was told that it also needed a battery. However, the entire problems was with the throttle body. Since purchasing the vehicle I would every now and then feel it losing power. I thought it might be the transmission but when I took it in for them to look at they said "no we drove it and nothing seem wrong with it." At that point it would have been covered by warranty. I feel that the service people should have guest it was the throttle body since so many of these vehicles are having the same problem. I am now feeling that there was some deception. The vehicle is a 2010, this vehicle is too new for it to need such a major repair. The warranty on these vehicles is substandard. The cost of replacing the throttle body was $465.32 and the battery that I purchased at auto zone was $132. I am very unhappy with this Ford product and will not purchase another Ford. While the service people were professional did not offer information about this happening frequently. I believe that we all need to be reimbursed!

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 232013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving in the highway the vehicle stop throttle and show the wrench indicator light. First experience was my wife that is now pregnant. We stop using the car until I could bring it to the dealer, and it also broke down while coming here. Ford says it is the electronic throttle device and that I have to pay for it $470+tax. This was purchased here as a certified Ford and Ford does not cover it even if it is a life threatening issue. This is a very dangerous defect, especially in the highway or if passing another car in a two lane road. Ford should recall all cars with this electronic device asap and pay me for this expense. I have to pay for it now because the car even though it starts it will break down in the middle of the road for no reason. Again this is a very dangerous defect and several complaints seems to indicate the same.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 162013

Escape 4-cyl

On March 16, 2013 I was driving my vehicle when I lost power in the middle of the road. I pushed the gas petal but vehicle would not accelerate. The wrench light illuminated on my dashboard. The vehicle was jerking. I was able to pull off the road. Examined under hood and everything appeared ok. Vehicle started ok and sounded ok so I continued to drive. Approximately 30 minutes later, the same thing happened. Vehicle was jerking worse and lost power. I pulled off road and shut the truck off. Restarted okay and decided to drive back home. I was fortunate that there was not a lot of traffic and it was early in the morning. Otherwise I could have been involved in an accident. Someone could have been seriously injured or killed when my truck stalled. I had my 83 and 81 year old parents with me. I took my vehicle to the Ford dealership in my home town and problem was diagnosed as throttle body faulty. Repairs were made, I paid for them, and left dealership. Losing power and vehicle dying on the road certainly seems to be a safety hazard.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Feb 252013

Escape 6-cyl

On the morning of February 25th, I was pulling out of my garage when my car just stopped accelerating and the "wrench" light came on. It was barely idling, so I turned off the car and restarted it. It started normally, so I went on to work. That evening, I was driving on the interstate in the passing lane going approximately 75 mph when the car sort of lurched and then the "wrench" light came on and the car instantly started to slow down. I could not accelerate at all. I had to wait for traffic to move in the right lane, which was horribly dangerous, and then pull off the side of the road. I turned the car off and then restarted it. It took a second, but the car restarted and the wrench light was off, so I got back on the interstate again. That evening I started looking on the internet to see if anyone else had experienced this same problem, and that was when I saw that there was an investigation started by the NHTSA in regards to that very same problem occurring in several Ford vehicles. This was extremely dangerous because when it happens, I have no control over the speed anymore and I am at the mercy of the cars all around me. I could have easily caused an accident that day. Then, about a week later it happened again while I was on a busy city street going approximately 35 mph. Finally, yesterday morning, March 20th, it happened on the interstate again. The dealer says there are no error codes, but they said they think its the throttle body and that it will cost about $300 dollars to fix. This should be a recall. This investigation needs to be concluded and a recall needs to be issued before someone is killed. This is extremely dangerous since it happens at faster speeds, while on the interstate.

- Woodstock, WA, USA

Sep 012012

Escape 6-cyl

Driving car on highway on daily commute in 5:00 pm traffic. Merging into traffic, gave it gas and car slowed to nothing, would not increase in speed, rpms very high, wrench light came on had to turn car off and back on to get it home. Took to Ford dealership and they stated it was a bad throttle body, not covered by warranty.

- Keller, TX, USA

Nov 262012

For several months, my 2010 Ford Escape would stall while driving down the road. There were times that I was going 45-55mph and my vehicle would stall. I lost power steering as vehicle shut off. I had to slow down and pull off the road and re-start the vehicle. This was very dangerous and scary. This happened probably 10-15 times until I could no longer get the vehicle started. I had it towed into a Ford dealership and had their service department analyze the problem. I first took it by an advance auto to check the service engine light. The code that came up I believe was 9000. It had something to do with emission, fuel system concerns. The service department put a throttle body and motor assembly part on it. I haven't had any problems since. They also did an eec test P2111 and found etb to be at fault and replaced. I had to pay $356.52 including labor for this. I feel from reading other information on 2010 Ford Escapes that there has been a lot of issues with stalling. I feel I should be reimbursed for my expenses.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jan 242013

Escape 6-cyl

The wrench icon illuminated the 4 times the Escape failed to respond to acceleration. Each time it needed to be turned off and restarted. 1st failure (1/24/13) was at about 20mph (or less) while making a U-turn. I was able to coast over to bus lane. 2nd failure (2/4/13) was at 50mph after traveling 30 miles in heavy traffic. I drove directly to a transmission shop and was told "what an extreme safety issue this could be and that this was an expensive transmission to rebuild and it would be $2000 to $2500." 3rd failure (2/5/13) and by now I am quick to start emergency flashers. I was unable to restart in N. I was able to pull into a turn lane and had to turn Escape off and restart. I started researching on internet and determined that the problem was the electronic throttle body. 4th failure (2/11/13) same senerio. 2/14/13 I drove to don reid Ford, maitland, fl. I spoke to the service manager who agreed with me that the problem was the throttle body. $300 fix included $99. Labor with a 12 month warranty at any Ford dealer. That point sold me since this vehicle was likely to travel out of town, and that it could be done while I waited. I was not happy to check my paperwork after I got home and find that instead of stating the issue it said "customer states replace throttle body per customer request" I called the service manager and expressed my concern that this very dangerous safety issue was not documented on my paperwork. I was told that since the dealer did not diagnose the problem, which would have cost another $99 that this was the way it had to be written up. I believe that this sudden gas pedal failure could cause an accident and should be a recall before a death occurs. This 2010 was built 12/09. We bought this Escape 10/3/12 with 73,600 miles on it. We have tested it out on a 200 mile trip and a 1,000 mile trust the 2010 Escape.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Aug 102012

Escape 6-cyl

The car would jerk when you drove it. It was a hard jerk sometimes and hardly noticeable at times. I never owned an SUV so I thought maybe it was normal. Asked dealer they drove and stated it was ok. Kept jerking at times when you were driving. Especially when slowing down in vehicle, would jerk when shifting from gear to gear (automatic transmission). Asked white Ford service again about hard shifting. In October at 56,000 miles on vehicle they stated that they could reprogram computer and set it. It cost me $105 for them to do that. Did not notice much difference, maybe a little better. In December my son took vehicle to white Ford because I did not feel like they were listening to me, they told him no transmission technician. Take to different Ford dealer. Took to nick nicholas Ford in crystal river, fl and they stated trans fluid burnt. $5,000 to fix. I took vehicle to tri-county transmission in chiefland, fl. Mgr. Worked for Ford service 27 years. They stated trans fluid burnt, black and fine metal and fiction mat, and had trans torn up due to defective part. Solenoid bore worn caused clutches to slip metal all thru trans and converter. This is a problem that should be a recall. What if transmission had failed me"?"

- Trenton, FL, USA

Feb 282013

Driving my 2010 Escape on the highway the engine stalled. The speed I was going was about 60 mph. With no prior warning the wrench light and check engine light came on, the RPM's fluctuated between 0500 and 2500 and I could not accelerate the vehicle. The dealer said the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced at my expense as it was not under warranty.

- Dorado, PR, USA

Mar 202012

I was driving on the highway and my Escape lost power or ability to accelerate forward. The open wrench tool lite up on the dash board. My Escape slowed down significantly. The vehicle continued to run and would drive very slowly but when I would press on the gas, it would not go any faster. Once the vehicle was turned off and then back on, it appeared to work just fine. About a week later, the exact thing happened again when traveling at approximately 50mph. My car is now at a Ford dealership, but they say it is not happening when they drive it and unless it happens with them, there is nothing they can do about the situation.

- Covington, KY, USA