2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 10 of 23)

Aug 042012

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving in the highway at approximately 45 mph when my car lost power and I had to pull over to the emergency lane. I turned the car off for a couple of minutes and after restarting the car the problem was gone. This event has happened many times and now is more frequent.

- Juncos, PR, USA

May 292013

The vehicle lost power while driving at relatively constant speed. The engine hesitated, car did not accelerate when the gas pedal was applied. The engine then stalled. I pulled over, restarted the engine, and the car seem to run normally after this first incident. The vehicle has continued to intermittently have the same issue, although it may need to be restarted a few times before acting normal again. The vehicle was towed because it stalled and seem unable to make the drive home. The engine throttle was cleaned in August by a mechanic, but stalled repeatedly 3 days later. Using dry gas and keeping the tank nearly full has not solved the issue either. My experience seems similar to many complaints found at this website and other places on the internet.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Jun 142013

I was driving at around 25mph on a surface road, when the engine suddenly lost power, and my speed dropped to 5mph ("limp mode"). I pulled over to the side of the road, turned off the engine, and then restarted the engine after a minute. It seemed to run normally. I took it in to a shop for inspection, and they couldn't identify the cause. However about 1 month later, the exact same situation reoccurred, so I took it to the Ford dealership service department. They said it was due to a bad throttle body. It took 3 weeks for them to get the throttle body, which was apparently backordered, probably because so many other people had to replace their throttle bodies as well. I had to pay for this repair out of pocket. It would seem this defective throttle body issue is widespread among certain Ford models, including the Escape. This is a very unsafe defect, and this part should be recalled to prevent any accidents from occurring. I'm very upset that despite this issue having been known about since late 2011/early 2012, I was never notified by Ford and had to find out the hard way, with my car losing power in the middle of moving traffic. On top of that, because the car was a few months out of warranty, I was forced to pay $670 out of pocket to have this repaired.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Aug 232013

While driving on the freeway, the engine cut out and spit and sputtered. Vehicle restarted and went about a mile and did the same thing. At that point a tow truck was called and vehicle was towed to a service shop where the throttle body was replaced.

- Chesterland, OH, USA

Aug 262013

While accelerating onto the highway, the vehicle lost all power and forward motion. It went into "limp" mode and I had to pull over. Once I shut the vehicle off and restarted it, the vehicle was fine. After the Ford dealer's inspection, it was deemed that the throttle body is the culprit, and needs replaced.

- Palmetto, FL, USA

Jul 172013

Escape 4-cyl

Noted mileage, date, and speeds approximate. Vehicle has stalled several times (six to seven times since noted date). All times have been when accelerating from a stop or low speed. The stalls have been very dangerous because they occurred while attempting to enter traffic. Check engine / service light comes on, but does not stay on. Vehicle restarts after some attempt and the check engine / service light is gone. This needs to be investigated and resolved before someone gets killed!

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jun 252013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling on the interstate at 75 mph, when I lost engine power. I was able to pull off the highway. The engine was still running at an idle speed but would not increase RPM upon pressing accelerator with the SUV in park. I turned off the engine for about two minutes. I restarted the SUV and proceed back down the highway. After about 25 miles, it did the same thing. I turned off the engine and restarted. Everything appeared to be fine. Since I was out of town, I decided to head back. I drove 125 miles without further incident. I took into the Ford dealership for repair. It was diagnosed as the throttle body with a repair code of P2111. The dealership service department cleaned the throttle body. I drove the SUV for two weeks and it started to shut down again. The part was order on July 11 and still has not been received by the dealership. I have been told it is on national back order. This indicates to me that this is a serious problem with a lot of other vehicles. I live in a small town and I am aware of two other vehicles with the same issue.

- Siler City, NC, USA

Jun 012013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle began idle roughly and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was stopped and restarted before resuming normal operation. The failure recurred on ten occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis but no cause for failure was found. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 63,000. Updated 10/29/13

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Aug 152013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was stopped at a red light and the car gave a sudden jolt and died. I start it back up just fine, but when I stated going again, it stalled and died again. I got it started, got onto a busy street, made a U- turn and it did again. I was lucky enough to get it started and off the incredibly busy street before there was an accident. I am now having a problem, I cant even drive a quarter mile before it dies again.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 272013

Escape 6-cyl

The car started feeling vibrations in the pedals, lost speed, eventually stalled on a highway. I had it towed to a repair shop and they said the fly-by throttle body unit had failed.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 242013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the vehicle shook with the illumination of the maintenance warning light. The dealer vehicle was not diagnosed for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Savanah , PR, USA

Aug 192013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at approx 65mph on freeway, the vehicle's throttle dropped to idle speed. The accelerator would not allow the car's RPM's to increase despite pushing it to the floor. The car did not stall, but rather was in a sudden state of idle.the "wrench" icon flashed on, then "check engine light" and my car went from 65 to 5mph in a matter of seconds. After car's ignition was shut off, the car restarted without problem. However, the incident happened again after reentering freeway nearly causing a serious accident. Dealership was able to confirm that the throttle needed to be replaced, but not under powertrain warranty. Research shows that this is a common problem. This is very dangerous and needs to be recalled asap.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Aug 232013

Escape 4-cyl

Driving 70 mph on hwy truck just starts to stall no control of gas pedal cars almost crashed in to me I was lucky I was able to coast out of the way. Trouble code is P2111 needs a new throttle body that is on back order for a Ford national recall and I have to wait days to get, price for part is $380. After a call to Ford customer service they said my car is not recalled but funny how the part number changed and it is the same one they have a recall on and they will not replace the part since my car is out of the 3 years 36,000 mile warranty my truck has 50,000 mile. Ford has lost a long time customer !!! buy american made !!!! thanks Ford ex owner of Expedition, Explorer, thunderbird, Cougar, town car, 2 continentals no more Ford at my house.....!!!!!!!

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 152013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving on highway 680 in stop N go traffic. I put my foot on gas to go, but my car just wouldn't go. I tried to accelerate, but nothing happened. I quickly pulled over in the shoulder on the right side. The car started shaking. I put my car in parking mode and turned off the engine. I restarted it again, and it worked. So, I went into the oncoming traffic to get back on the highway. After about a mile further in stop N go traffic, my car did the same exact thing. It stopped working, and started shaking when I pulled over to the shoulder. I turned off the engine again. I wasn't feeling comfortable with driving my car since same thing happened twice. So, I had to call the tow company and had it towed to my home.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle, car stalls in the middle of traffic on highway and streets, no warning.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 202013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at approx 45mph, the vehicle's throttle dropped to idle speed. The accelerator would not allow the car's RPM's to increase despite pushing it to the floor. The car did not stall, but rather was in a sudden state of idle. After car's ignition was shut off, the car restarted without problem. However, the incident happened again the following day, nearly causing a serious accident as it happened in the midst of heavy traffic and there was nowhere to move the car. We took it to the dealer who could find nothing abnormal on the diagnostic computer. However based on the description of the problem, the dealer replaced the throttle body today and reprogrammed the power train control module at a cost of over $500.

- Canfield, OH, USA

Aug 092013

Escape 6-cyl

We were traveling at 55 mph on the highway when my Ford Escape suddenly stalled and would no longer respond when I pressed the accelerator. My SUV slowed to a stop where I cut it off. Unfortunately, I did not have enough speed to pull off to a safe location and was stuck in the middle of the very busy highway where I was almost sideswiped by a tractor trailer truck. It was a very scary situation to say the least. This has since happened 3 more times, the most recent being yesterday August 23 on an interstate overpass in rush hour traffic. Again I did not have enough speed to pull off to a safe location and was stuck in the center lane of the overpass. I was able to restart my car soon after stalling out and was able to an auto store that pulled the code of P2112, which is the throttle body code. Of course my warranty ran out in June 2013 and Ford estimates the repair to cost $500 minimum. And sadly, I am now afraid to drive my Escape as I fear it will get me into an accident. I ask that Ford take responsibility for the obvious flaw in throttle body and make the recall!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 6-cyl

I had just left work yesterday 0821/2013 and was driving maybe 40 mph. My 2010 Ford Escape just died on me. I had driven but a half mile. I coasted into a parking lot, turned it off. I checked under the hood and all looked ok so I tried starting it. After some hesitation, it did start. I drove it straight to my mechanic. He could not find anything wrong so I picked it back up. This morning 08/22/2013 it did it again when I was turning through an intersection, not a mile from my house. I was almost hit by an oncoming car. It did it again, on the highway, about 10 miles later. This time the check engine light came on. I drove it straight to my mechanic because I knew he should now be able to pull something up on the computer. He was able to confirm that the throttle needed to be replaced. He did tell me to call the Ford dealership to see if there was a recall but there wasn't. he felt bad and gave me a great deal, $410, to replace it. Ford needs to do something!!!

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Aug 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle abruptly stalled with check engine light on, at highway speed. An accident was barely averted. Car was taken to dealership and diagnosed as a faulty throttle body. The defective throttle body was replaced. Vehicle only has 32K miles. Research shows that this is a common problem.

- Warren, MI, USA

Aug 142013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving down the freeway when suddenly, my engine lost power. A wrench light came on, and my throttle was completely unresponsive. Fortunately, I was in the right lane, so I was able to coast safely off the freeway and onto the side of the road. I shut my car off, waited a minute or two, and then restarted my car. Everything seemed fine after that. This happened again, now totaling 6 times, all while I was driving. Went to the mechanic, he called the dealership. He was told that this was a very common problem and that he could put a rush order on it for an additional 15% of the price, and it would still take 2 weeks. Through normal channels, it would wake several months. I need my car to work, and two things bother me the most: A rush order would still take 2 weeks to be delivered, and if it's a common problem, it feels as though Ford is doing nothing to alleviate it, especially since it impairs my ability to drive safely on the road. I am constantly paranoid while driving on the road, and I have no other choice but to continue to drive my car, since it's my only means of transportation.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA