2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 16 of 23)

Jun 212013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving along and all of a sudden my 2010 Ford Escape went from around 35 mph on a busy road to a rough idle. The engine was still running but would not respond to pressing on the gas pedal, it just stayed running on a rough idle. I continued on at 3 miles an hour waving cars to pass me until I found a safe place to pull over. I waited 20 minutes before starting the vehicle and it then ran normally. So I went on and about 5 miles further it did it again. I had to pull over and I restated the engine in just a few minutes again. It did it again and again sometimes I would only need to shut it off for a second. I took it into the Ford dealer and they charged me $125 for a diagnostic test to tell me it was the throttle body (Ford would not cover the test). They didn't have the part in stock and told me it was on back order as the Ford Chicago warehouse was out of them. The Ford service writer also told me they have replaced a number of them since his hiring just three months prior. He first told me a dirty air filter caused the part to fail, when I explained to him I know what a dirt air filter is and I don't have one. Then he said it was because I didn't drive my car enough and there was carbon buildup causing it. So I asked him if Ford was saying they don't build a good enough engine. He admitted he was just reading the print out. They wouldn't honor my power-train warranty of 5 years or 50,000 miles. I wrote a letter and personally delivered it to the Ford dealer and no one has bothered to contact me and it's been eight days now. The mechanic actually tried to sell me tires and gave me bogus reasons why the back two needed to be replaced and the back to have 7/32 left according to a real tire store's salesman and are almost like new. I have been a loyal Ford man all my life. I may never buy another Ford and it will not be from this dealership if I do!

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Jul 032013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on I35 E in lewisville, tx when the vehicle suddenly stopped accelerating, I had been traveling at approx 40 mph in rush hour traffic. The vehicle/engine was still on but I could not continue forward. I exited the highway and glided into a parking lot ( after nearling being killed by a large truck on the service road) the wrench light came on as well as the engine light. I pulled into a parking space and the vehicle started to violently shake. I put in park and turned the vehicle off. I waited a few minutes and started the vehicle with no issues. The vehicle idled fine and I could rev up the engine. I drove around the parking lot with no issues however the check engine light was still on. I tried going onto a residential street and when I accelerated above 20mph the vehicle would no longer accelerate and had to pull over and had the same before mentioned results. I called a tow truck and had the vehicle towed. I called a local Ford dealership and I was advised it was most likely an electronic throttle body issue and they have them come in all the time. This needs to be recalled immediately as this very well could have cause a major accident.

- Denton, TX, USA

May 032013

Escape 6-cyl

My 2010 Ford Escape stalled on me around May 5th, 2013. I was able to pull over and restart it after a couple minutes. The check engine light came on when this happened, but went away when I restarted engine. I was driving about 20 mph at the time. On May 13th, 2013 it happened again twice. After the second time I took it straight to the Ford dealership. They ran the computer test on it and couldn't find anything wrong. They charged me $40. They told me unless the check engine light is on, they probably wouldn't find anything. If it died and wouldn't restart, they might be able to find something then also. They said it will cost me $40 each time I brought it back to have it checked. Since then it has stalled on me about four more time, most recently 7/3/2013. Each time has been city driving not above 30mph. The check engine light did not come on these times. I have been avoiding driving it much because of the problem. It constantly surges when driving and sometimes jerks when first taking off from a start. When at a stop light or even in park with the motor running the rpms constantly go up and down.

- Madisonville, KY, USA

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle began sputtering and then would not accelerate and would barely move when pushing the gas pedal. It was diagnosed initially as the throttle actuator stuck open. It was cleaned. I drove it and less than 24 hours later it lost acceleration on a major highway at a traveling speed of 65 mph. I had to pull over 3 times and restart it to get it to a car repair place. I ended up having to have it towed to a Ford dealership where they replaced the throttle actuator motor. The diagnostic code was P2111. I asked for the old part and it did not look worn or damaged. The repeated loss of acceleration on a major highway during morning rush hour created a great risk to my safety and those of the other motorists around me. The service man at the Ford dealership advised me they were seeing a number of similar situations involving this part with Ford Escapes. The total cost for both service visit was $465.

- Garner, NC, USA

Jun 232013

Escape 6-cyl

When driving to the grocery store on Sunday, June 23, my boyfriend and I pulled up to a stop sign and then attempted to accelerate to cross 4 lanes of traffic. The car bucked and would not accelerate. Then the gas pedal began to shake. We had to roll across the street and shut the car off for a few minutes. The car turned over twice and then finally started up. The second incident happened on Thursday, June 27. My boyfriend and I were on our way home and pulled up to a stop sign. Again, pushing on the gas pedal would not cause the car to accelerate. We had to roll across the intersection and turn the car off. The car turned over about 3 or 4 times and then started. We took the car into a local Ford dealership on Tuesday, July 2, and were told after a few hours of waiting, that the car has a throttle body issue. The dealer told us the part costs $399 and the labor would be $100. We had to pay $244.05 up front and we were told that the part is on backorder and will take approximately 1 month to come in. My car also has low enough mileage (29,400) that it still has a 5 year powertrain warranty (which covered the engine) but were told that warranty doesn't cover the throttle body. So now, we are out $244 (it will be at least $500 once the part comes in) and don't have the use of our car (we are a one car family) with no relatives, etc. Close by to borrow a car from.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 182013

Escape

On 6/18/13 driving on a 45 mph road slowed to make a turn and lost all power to by 2010 Ford Escape, also the wrench showed up on my dash. I turned it off and back on again and it ran fine. The next day took it to my local dealer in clarion, pa and they couldn't figure out what the problem was. On 7/1/13 I experienced the same problem, driving 45 mph when I experienced complete loss of power. This time the vehicle was sputtering, turned it off & back on but had to give it gas to start. The wrench showed up again. Called the local dealer in clarion, pa and stated I had researched this on the internet & found 21 pages of other people experiencing the same exact problem with the majority having to have the throttle body changed. Also found that NHTSA is investigating the complaints. I don't appreciate it when the dealership does not take the severity of this problem seriously. They stated they would order part but didn't know when it would come in. I called another local dealership & they said they could have the part in 3 days. What's up with that" really don't like driving this vehicle since you never know when it is going to occur. This is definitely a safety issue and feel it should be addressed by Ford. Do we need to have numerous people getting killed before something is done about it"

- Clarion, PA, USA

Jun 292013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving in the middle lane of heavy traffic, my vehicle suddenly became unresponsive. Even though I had my foot on the accelerator, the vehicle would not accelerate and the engine started sputtering. The wrench light came on. I had to coast to the right lane in front of on-coming traffic to get off the road and to safety.the approaching vehicle had to slam on his breaks and narrowly missed colliding with me. If the vehicle had been any closer or if I would have been on the interstate, I would have had a serious crash with someone being badly injured or killed. This is a very serious problem. I just read about another 2010 Ford Escape owner that the same thing happened to them four times and they could not fix the problem. I am afraid of driving this vehicle again and I believe Ford is aware of this happening should be held responsible to investigate and correct this problem before people are killed.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jun 302013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle lost power while driving. The wrench light came on and the the car died. The check engine light came on and it was showing code P2111 for the throttle body.

- Houston, TX, USA

Escape 6-cyl

While pressing the accelerator the car shuts off and comes to a slow stop. Your are not able to accelerate. The wrench light comes on first. I stop the car, turn it off, wait about 10sec and turn the car back on. It starts fine. I travel about 6 miles and the car stops again, this time jerking back and forth a little and then the check engine light comes on. I stop the car and follow the same steps on turning it back on. I am still able to break and steer off of roads. However, not with much time before it completely stops. I took it to advanced auto parts and got the vehicle diagnosed. The code was P2112/throttle actuator per the representative. This is highly dangerous when traveling on the highway or any busy roadway during rush hour traffic everyday to and from work.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Accelerated to merge into traffic and my 2010 Ford Escape started to act like it was going to stall when I pressed on the gas pedal. Ever time I tried to accelerate it felt like it was "choking" and wanted to stall. I had to put the vehicle in neutral and press on the gas to keep it from stalling. I had my vehicle towed to the dealership and was told that the throttle body needed to be replaced. In addition to the fact the throttle body needs to be replaced I am now being told there is a nationwide back order on the part and I will not get the repair completed for 2-3 weeks. I am 1-1/2 months passed warranty with only 26,000 miles and neither Ford nor the dealership will loan me a vehicle while my car sits at the dealership nor will this even be considered warranty work.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

Jun 302013

Escape 6-cyl

2010 Ford Escape V6 AWD - built June 14, 2010 while driving on major local road, vehicle lost almost all power. "wrench" (throttle control/powertrain warning) light came on. Vehicle slowed to a roll with gas pedal providing no acceleration. After coming to a stop vehicle would only accelerate to between 2-4 mph. Vehicle was able to be driven to dealer about a mile away after sitting on shoulder for 15-20 minutes. Dealership diagnosed problem as a failed throttle body and replaced under warranty with a deductible charge. This would have been a dangerous situation had the vehicle been merging, etc. At the time.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

This incident was the second one within one month. While driving at 30 mph, the engine, although did not cut off completely, it slowed down to lowest possible RPM, reducing the vehicle speed from 30mph to about 3 mph. Both myself and my wife were lucky in that there were no vehicles behind us for they for sure would have run into us. We took the car to the dealership where we originally purchased it and they told us what the problem was, stating that they have had many vehicles returned for the same problem and we would have to wait for replacements parts because there is a shortage of parts due to demand. Needless to say they are charging us 440 dollars to replace the valve body.

- Winchester, MA, USA

Jun 222013

Escape 4-cyl

On Saturday, June 22, 2013, I drove 2.5 hours North for one of my best friends weddings. I was on the interstate with cruise control set at about 70 mph when suddenly my car lost power. I was in the left lane with a semi behind me. Luckily the semi driver was paying attention and was able to move into the right lane before rear-ending me. I was able to move on the shoulder of the interstate and come to a stop. As I did, my Escape acted as though it was going to die but did not completely. I noticed an open-ended wrench in the bottom left of my instrument panel and my check engine light was on. I turned the car off and looked through the manual to figure out what the wrench light meant. It said throttle control/powertrain. I was running late to begin with so I started freaking out. I turned my Escape back on and everything seemed to be fine. Both lights went off so I put it in drive and got back on the interstate without any more problems. At first I thought maybe it was cruise control going out so I didn't use it the rest of the way. Once I got off the interstate, I stopped at a light and when the light changed I proceeded through it with my Escape stalling as soon as I turned, along with both lights back on. I knew it was something other than the cruise. Once I got to the nearest town, I stopped at autozone and had them test it. Their computer showed tps/throttle body failure. I immediately started doing some research to find this part since autozone doesn't carry it. I was surprised to find out that no one can get this part and Ford has been on back order for quite a few months. After the wedding, I drove back home with my car stalling many more times. Since then, it happens at least once a day, if not more. Twice, my car has stalled in the middle of a very busy highway intersection on my way to work, freaking me out I was going to get hit. Help needed soon!

- Bedford, IN, USA

Jun 152013

Escape 6-cyl

On several intermittent occasions beginning on June 15, 2013 my Ford Escape would jerk forward and lose power (even on the freeway). Sometimes I am able to move over to the side of the road and others it dies before I can move it out of the intersection or street. This has happened when me and my two children were in the car which is extremely dangerous. The check engine light and wrench illuminates. This problem is spontaneous and can drive for several miles without an incident and then occurs out of nowhere again. When I took the car to the mechanic he informed me that the code P2112 showed that my throttle body needed to be replaced as it was getting stuck closed. I have heard that several other Ford vehicles are having similar issues and this needs to be investigated asap. After spending $370 to fix the problem I feel that this issue could have been resolved beforehand. Please prevent this from happening to other families.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

Leaving home check engine light and throttle lights came on and the vehicle was jerking and would allow me to give it any gas.

- Antioch, TN, USA

May 222013

Escape 6-cyl

I will be driving along and the engine acts as if it didn't get enough gas and air mixture so it kicks out of shifting and just slows down then it starts hopping. It gives me a symbol on the dashboard of a wrench. I looked it up and it says it the throttle body. I had a mechanic come with his handheld computer and read the code and it says throttle aviator stuck open, then he erases the computer code nd I am able to drive until the next tome it happens. Which it has happen everyday now since June 12th. Ford has said that the part is being revamped and not sure when it will be available. My mechanic said that he has replaced many of these. Why has it not been recalled? I have loses income because I do not want to be out on the road and have this happen when I'm on the highway with a semi behind me, then they will have a law suit to deal with.

- Jupiter , FL, USA

Jun 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving around 65mph and the car suddenly shuts off and the check engine light came on, loss of all power all I could do was try to make my way from the fast lane over to the shoulder, drifted to the side of the road and turned the car off and it restarted after a few minutes and drove fine all the way home, a few days later it did the same thing, cut off while doing around 60mph again in the fast lane I had to try and get over through 4 lanes of traffic with cars blowing by me at over 80mph to get to the shoulder, this is going to get someone killed. I called Ford and they know of the issue, seems the issue is so bad the part thats the cause of the problem (the throttle body) is on back order, you have been investigating since Feb. Why has this not been recalled yet?

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Jun 072013

Escape

Wrench light came on while driving car and barely had enough rpms to get off road. Had to pull battery cable off to get car to move. This happened three times to get the car 20 miles to home then trailered to Ford dealer. Said it was a bad TB. The car has also stalled at 0mph and sometimes surges. One time this winter the car surged causing it to hit my tractor and busted bumper cover and fog lamp.

- Mt Perry, OH, USA

Jun 152013

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and could not be restated. The check engine and the power train warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The failure was reported to the manufacturer and they stated that the part was on back order. The failure and current mileage was 43,000. The consumer stated while driving, she suddenly felt the vehicle loose power even though she was pressing on the accelerator. The wrench and engine light illuminated on the dash.

- Houston , TX, USA

May 292013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving in neighborhood at approx. 15mph, engine stalled and orange wrench light came on. Pulled over to side of street, shut down engine and then restarted. Engine ran fine for another 2 weeks and then same event occurred with wife driving. One week later, did same thing while I was driving. Ford dealer has car now and says they are waiting for a throttle body. Car has been in shop for over 1 week so far.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA