2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 23)

Jun 012014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on highway (with two children under 4 in the car), luckily it was stop and go traffic. The car completely and without warning lost power and I could no longer accelerate. I was able to put hazards on and pull over to the break-down lane (across three lanes of traffic), turn the car off and back on again. It restarted immediately. (weather was warm- mid 60S, no humidity, I had driven the car earlier in the day and had been driving for about 20 minutes. The car is well maintained and had recently had an oil change.)

- Medford, MA, USA

Sep 062010

Escape

1st got Escape had to have some reprogramming affecting the transmission. 2nd had to have the transmission repair. 3rd my dash lights blink from bright to dim during the daytime/ 4th had to have the ignition replace - when I put my key in--would not turn-. 5th even after having the transmission repair-still changes hard. 6th sometimes when parked on and incline-place in drive-will make a "pop" noise. Still do not feel like my car is working/running at a 100%. I did take out another wrty--just incase--however it is almost up. My husband & I have drove Ford for the past 35 years-am very disappointed with my Escape. 7th use stability control once---is it suppose to sound like the car is breaking into?

- Bluff City , TN, USA

May 262014

Escape

This is the third incident in two days, I'm driving along when I take my foot of the gas pedal and coast, the engine dies, the dash shows the battery and oil light. You can still steer, but the car slows down drastically with the engine not running, I had someone almost rear end me, because I slowed down so much. All incidents were the same, but the first time it happened it was very scary because you didn't know what was happening and you didn't know what to do. The car will start back up if you park it or put it in neutral, but I was in the middle of an intersection the third time, stopped traffic cars were honking at me. This is a huge safety issue, taking it in tomorrow to get it fixed, should be a recall.

- Spokane, WA, USA

May 142014

Escape 6-cyl

Slowly approaching a stop sign, vehicle stalled. Battery light, wrench light, and oil light came on. Put the car in park to restart it, started and went on.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 122014

Escape 6-cyl

Escape sitting at stop light wrench light illuminated on dash and Escape had no power turned car off and then restarted the Escape and drove home not another issue for the next 16 miles.. used obdii code reader to scan Escapes on board computer and it had freeze frame data from a P2111 code which indicates throttle body issue.

- Rocky Mount, MO, USA

May 052014

Escape 6-cyl

1st occurrence: I was driving at 35mph and suddenly my car surged forward then slowed down to 5mph. I tried to accelerate to a higher mph but it would not let me go any faster. I could steer and the radio was still on. Confused, I coasted off the side of the road, looked at the instrument panel for a light of some kind (none were there). I then turned off the engine and let it sit for approximately 2 minutes then it restarted and I drove home (about 1 1/2 miles) the 2nd occurrence - May 6th. I had just left my doctor's office, within 1 1/2 minutes & driving 15 mph (1/16 of a mile) the failure happened again. I again had to coast to the side of the road apply my hazard lights and turn off the engine for approximately 2 minutes. It re-started and I drove it home (it was intermediately surging forward) about 5 miles. The 3rd occurrence: May 8th on I-70 westbound :speed 60 mph: Loss of power, coasted to the berm of the highway, ( thank goodness all the traffic was 1 mile behind me or this could have caused a serious accident) turned it off and waited about 2 minutes and restarted made it to work and home without further stalling but the jerking continued. I called interstate Ford (miamisburg) explained the problems I was experiencing and my fear to drive this vehicle.

- Springfield , OH, USA

May 062014

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the engine started misfiring and idling rough. Vehicle lost power, would not accelerate and I rolled to the side of the road where I restarted the car and it drove normally.

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 032014

Escape 6-cyl

The engine went into a low power mode and throttle was un responsive, I had to cruise to a stop and restart then it seems ok but I notice the throttle will speed up and slow down when I had to run thru a school zone(low speed) it also happened several times after that most recently on 4/21/14 on the highway at 65 mph and I had to drift to the shoulder to restart the car while others honked and veered around me I do not understand why Ford has not recalled these. I did get a letter called the customer satisfaction program 13N03 that states the problem- throttle body- is under extended warranty but only if the wrench light is on and mine stays on only when there is a problem if there is additional problems I would have to pay just to get it diagnosed. I am not impressed with Ford attempt at this (soft) recall.

- Kingsville, TX, USA

Mar 162014

Escape

2010 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle throttle body issues. The consumer she received a letter regarding the throttle body, but didn't think it sounded too serious. The letter stated engine power and vehicle speed would be reduced. The consumer stated she had the misfortune of experiencing the problem on March 16, 2014. The speed was not just reduced, but the gas pedal was inoperable and the vehicle just coasted to a stop, as if she had run out of gas. All the while, the engine was running, although not smoothly and all the lights were in working order. Minutes later, the wrench light illuminated on the dashboard.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Aug 312013

Escape

I was driving on I-66 at about 60 mph and suddenly lost power. Luckily I was just approaching an exit in a rural area and was able to coast onto the ramp, which sloped downward ahead of me. The engine continued to run but at a very low RPM and there was no response to the gas pedal. The wrench symbol came onto the instrument panel. I had the car towed about 40 miles to my usual independent mechanic. After investigation, I was told that this was a throttle body problem. They installed a new throttle body and the problem has not returned for seven months.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Mar 252014

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated while traveling 65 mph, the vehicle gradually decelerated. The contact also mentioned that there was a growling noise and the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 31,104.

- Deming, NM, USA

Jan 082014

Escape

Driving on highway using cruise control setting at 65 mph, when all of sudden vehicle began to slow down and stall on me. I had to pull over on the side of the road because the vehicle was shaking and I could not give it power to stay with traffic speed. I got to the side put the vehicle in park and it still was shaken so I turned it off. I then waited a minute or so and started the vehicle back up even though it was hesitating to start. Once back on I drove with my hazard on at a speed of 50 mph.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Mar 152014

Escape 6-cyl

After I came to a stop in residential area, I traveled about 25 mph and the vehicle seemed to be in neutral, I was able to steer to the side of the road, but nothing happened when I put more pressure on the accelerator, this was really frightening to experience without a warning, and I will never buy another Ford vehicle, at about 18 months after owning the vehicle the entire transmission had to be rebuilt and I bought this brand new to avoid issues.

- Marina, CA, USA

Feb 012012

Escape 6-cyl

Went to accelerate and vehicle stalled. Replaced at 50,000 miles. On the new replacement, at 70,000, replaced at my cost at dealership, throttle body stutters and chugs between 40 and 50 mph.

- Charlotte, IA, USA

Nov 072012

Escape 4-cyl

Right after the warranty went out the vehicle starting slamming from 1st into 2nd upon acceleration. The idle is very rough and quite loud, the engine makes a funny noise and I take extremely good care of my vehicle, getting all of the scheduled oil changes on time, replacing the air filter, etc. I also explained to them that the vehicle wasn't idling properly and that the engine used to be quiet. The windshield is extremely thin as well, a small pebble hit my windshield causing a 8 inch crack in a matter of minutes to where it was beyond getting it fixed. Then liftgate started giving me problems. When you press the button, it would make the sound, but sometimes open, then on May 17, 2013 it just quit working all together. On May 18, 2013, I took it to reynolds Ford for a scheduled oil change right before a trip to Mexico and upon telling them about it, they wanted $250 just to look at it before parts and labor. Now, the rear blinker doesn't work and you can't replace it due to the fact that you can't get the liftgate to open in order to remove the rear taillight assembly. So, when you are trying to make a left turn, vehicles behind you don't know you are turning and almost hit you (safety hazard). You also can't change a flat tire since you can get to the jack, which is in the rear compartment accessed through the liftgate. This is a serious problem as there is no manual release for the hatch to get it open period, once the latch doesn't work, it just doesn't work.

- Norman, OK, USA

Jul 032013

Escape

Was driving on the 101 in phoenix Arizona and the car started jerking. Luckily I was close to an exit so I got off. I turned off the car, restarted it, and started to drive. I drove about 100 feet and it stalled. I was able to restart the car and drive it a half mile to a gas station. However, the car was jerking the whole time. The official word was that the throttle was the issue.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 202014

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving lost all power at first then was able to move at 2 mph when gas pedal was fully depressed, car started to shake. Heard loud pop then engine light came on dash. I was able to creep along to get out of moving traffic. Drove at the side of the road until I tried to get into a parking area which required me to make a left turn with traffic coming waited and waited then from a complete stop I make the turn into the lot which has a slight incline I was flooring the gas pedal still with out any power of more than 2 mph worried I would slip back into moving traffic. Parked called a tow truck. Turned off engine went into work. Came back out of work restarted car no check engine light and everything seem to work fine after that. Frightened I could have caused a serious accident for other and myself.

- Brookpark, OH, USA

Jan 192014

Escape 6-cyl

I was stopped, waiting to make a left hand turn and mid-turn, the car turned off. Fortunately, there wasn't any traffic approaching my car or this could have resulted in a serious accident.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Dec 222013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the check engine light suddenly illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic, who performed a diagnostic and stated that there was a problem with the evaporative emissions system. In addition, fuel was leaking into the charcoal canister caused by a purged solenoid. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 37,456.

- Bay Village, OH, USA

Jan 142014

Escape 6-cyl

I own a 2010 Ford Escape. I was driving approximately 40 mph up a slight incline on a two lane road at 6:30 am in the dark when suddenly the vehicle jerked and would not accelerate. The wrench warning icon illuminated. While on the decline of the road I was able to coast into the first lane and into a break down lane and into a parking lot at a very slow rate of speed because once you applied the brakes and slowed down you could not regain any speed. I shut the engine off and was able to restart the vehicle without failure within a few mintues but the vehicle was not running right. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the throttle body would have to be replaced and the serpentine belt. The vehicle was repaired at the dealer. I cannot believe this is not a safety recall issue for Ford. I could have been hit multiple times on rte 1 trying to get my vehicle over two lanes of traffic to the side of the road.

- North Attleboro, MA, USA