2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 23)

Oct 092013

Escape

While drive down hwy at 60 mph, engine light/wrench came on and the engine went into slow speed at 900 RPM. Also did it at low speeds while driving away from stopped. Had to replace the throttle body control and problem went away.

- Longs, SC, USA

Jun 302013

Escape 6-cyl

Car stalled and quickly slowed down in heavy traffic and had to pull onto a narrow shoulder with lots of debris. Car would then allow me to speed up again and repeat the rapid stall until ultimately going into limp mode. Was later found to be the throttle body that was said to be on back-order for three weeks since so many others were having the same issue with their Escapes and that Ford had a redesign in work. Had to pay my extended warranty co-pay since Ford has no recall for this issue.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Sep 192013

Escape

Traveling on a major highway in the middle lane at 8:30 pm the truck started to hesitate and act like it wasn't running right. Then I lost total control of the accelerator but the car was still running. I had all I could do to try to coast over to the shoulder of the road to try and figure out what was wrong. Noticing that the accelerator did not engage at all, I turned off the truck and was going to call for a tow truck. That's when I decided to try and start it to see if I could get home on my own. Once I started the truck, it was like nothing happened and I continued home making it without a problem. Since then this has happened 3 other times, always on the highway, and the last 2 times it happened it, once the truck started back up and I drove off, I only got @ 3 miles down the same highway and it happened again, so I just repeated the procedure and hasn't happened since. I have gone ahead and purchased the new throttle body and am having my mechanic install it this week. I will be driving @ 60 miles one way, 120 miles total, a day for work starting this week and I can't afford to get stranded that far from home and loose time from work or not be able to get home. I've been told that at one point and time that the truck won't just start back up every time, so I'll be getting it fixed. Very disappointed that the truck that I purchased in April and only has @ 44000 miles on it would have such a major problem with such an important component. I've been told that they can't keep them on the shelves because there is such a huge problem overall. This can be very dangerous to someone who wouldn't know what to do in a crisis situation. On the box for the part it says Ford genuine parts, made in Mexico. Nice!! maybe you want to rethink where you locate your parts factories. You know the old saying " nothing good is cheap and nothing cheap is good".

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Oct 142013

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle body replaced on 10/16/2013. Merging onto interstate highway when sudden down shift and engine rev occurred. Car would not accelerate when needed and pulled onto safety lane.. turned engine off and restarted, same thing occurred with acceleration at 60 mph and higher. Very dangerous because car slows down dramatically and will not accelerate.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 162013

Escape

Backed out of parking space, wrench lit on dash, no throttle control, erratic idle. Have a code scanner, it read P2111. Placed in park, shut engine off and restarted, light went off. Drive 5 minutes, wrench light came on again, no throttle control, erratic idle, codes P2111, P2112. Almost got rear-ended. Again put in park and restarted, made it home. This has happened 3 times before this in the last 2 weeks. Very dangerous loosing power like that with no warning, I'm afraid to let my wife drive the vehicle, she is on the freeway more. I'm lucky to be on less traveled side roads where I can pull over to shoulder to restart vehicle. Some say its the throttle body, others the electronic gas pedal. Vehicle is out of warranty and I don't want to throw money at parts. Ford should recall this.

- New Berlin, WI, USA

Oct 152013

Escape 6-cyl

While making a left at an intersection the engine cut to idle and would not accelerate. After pulling to the side of the road the car was shut off and started again and ran ok. The car was take to the dealer the next day. We were told the throttle body was bad. I was also told they go bad a lot and they not covered by the engine warranty. Traffic was light at the time if it was heavy this could have caused an accident. There have been times in the past were the car hesitated badly from a stop.

- Garner, NC, USA

Oct 032013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at 55 mph, car went into limp home mode, greatly reducing speed on rural highway. Code was for throttle actuator stuck closed. Dealer cleaned throttle plates only, and returned car. Next day, the same thing occurred. This time dealer replaced throttle body. This is a dangerouls situation for which I have noticed there have been complaints and an investigation. A safety recall should be ordered. A side effect in limp mode was the engine ran rough with decreased gas mileage while car was driven a few miles to dealer in limp mode.

- Ottawa, IL, USA

Oct 132013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling on highway with my family, at about 65 mph there was an engine shudder, then the yellow wrench light illuminated on left side of console. Engine was now vibrating and shaky. Stepped on gas and no acceleration, although all other electrical items were running. With the forward momentum I was able to get over. Pulled over to side of highway, called roadside assistance and in the process, I shut off the vehicle. The agent on the phone asked for the mileage of vehicle and I turned the vehicle on again. The yellow wrench light was off and the vehicle seemed normal. I was able to drive to the next exit and get off the highway and safely home. The vehicle has displayed no further issues since then. This vehicle had just been in for normal service the day prior, Saturday. After doing further research online it was found this brand of vehicle had a reported problem with the throttle manifold intake.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Oct 122013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving out of my subdivision, my Ford Escape lost all power. The engine was surging but the vehicle would not respond when pressing the gas pedal. I turned the vehicle off and restarted it, but the same problem occurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealership where a diagnostic test revealed a failed throttle body. Even though my vehicle is slightly under the 5 yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty, the dealership is insisting on using my extended warranty to cover the part which will cost me $100 deductible and I will be responsible for the most of the cost of my rental vehicle (extended warranty company only pays rental car for labor hours on vehicle repairs, the vehicle will not be pulled in for repair for several days).

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 122013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving from Virginia towards the Delaware beaches. After crossing the bay bridge in Maryland on route 50... driving in the left lane traveling 55mph, and all of a sudden I lost the ability to accelerate and began losing speed. I had to pull all the way over to the right lane losing power as each second passed. I was able to coast along the side of the road to pull off the highway. After getting to the Ford dealership.. I was told that I need a throttle body.. I'm here at the dealership now.. and the part is well over $400.. have not received the bill yet.. but my guess, with labor between $500-$600! this is ridiculous as the car is only 3 years old! please make Ford recall this part - throttle body - as it seems unfair to have such a high cost repair after 3years of owning the vehicle -- thank you for all your help! this is a safety risk -- someone could have died in this process..as this occurred on the highway -- please do the right thing, and save future lives.. thank you!

- Arlington, VA, USA

Sep 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine completely died going 60mph on highway. Has happened 7 times since, always when vehicle in motion. Doesn't matter what speed. Has happened going 30mph, 50 mph, etc.

- Huntington, IN, USA

Sep 052013

Escape

2010 Ford Escape had been having an uneven idle while in drive with foot on brake. In this case, while accelerating at a stop light, the car would not accelerate and stalled with the engine and wrench light illuminating. Pulled over turned key to off position put car in park and restarted. Took to dealership that weekend. Technician witnessed the uneven idle. No codes would show up on computer. Technician re-calibrated idle. Car ran smooth for 3 days and uneven idle reappeared. Three weeks later when trying to accelerate from a stop sign, car went into "limp" mode; wrench light illuminated and would not accelerate. Next day while driving about 55 mph with cruise set I could feel "surges" in the engine. Took car off cruise, could still feel something just wasn't right. Uneven idle still persists although not consistently. Taking back to dealership today. Have done lots of research online and believe this may be connected to all the complaints with the throttle body.

- Castorland, NY, USA

Oct 072013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling 65 mph on the highway the vehicle suddenly lost all power and shuttered to a stop. Throttle body replaced by Ford dealer on 10/08/13.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Sep 112013

Escape 6-cyl

I was on the right hand lane on highway when vehicle all of sudden lost power and would not accelerate. Almost rear ended due to sudden loss of power. Once I pulled over and waited a few seconds it started back up. After exiting and waiting at a red light and then proceeding through the intersection on green to make a left hand turn the vehicle again lost power. This has happened on at least three other occasions. When I first took vehicle to mechanic they tell me that they could not find anything wrong and after the third occurrence the wrench light finally came on and now I'm told its the throttle that shows to be stuck in open. I have been given the price from $750-$1000 for parts and labor. No recall as of todays date. The auto mechanic at the Ford dealership tells me that there has been complaints but no recall so I would have to pay to have this fix. I own another Ford vehicle a 2004. Never had a problem and very reliable, this is extremely frustrating and bad business for customer relations when there are so many complaints about the same issue that it is obvious for this particular part the is a defect. There should be recall. This may be my last Ford vehicle.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Cruising at 60mph. Without warning, car slows, throttle unresponsive. Engine warning light on. Car did not stall, but would not respond to throttle. Coast to side of road, dodging traffic. Put car in park, restarted and everything was normal. As of Oct 7, 2013 this has occurred five times. Code reader picks up no codes from engine PCM.

- Matlacha Isles, FL, USA

Sep 272013

Escape 6-cyl

As I pulled onto the highway my Escape entered "limp mode". I was almost rear ended so I immediately pulled off the road. The engine idled roughly. I restarted the vehicle and it started running fine. Today (Oct.4th 2013) the same thing happened while pulling onto the highway. Same issue and restarting the vehicle fixed the issue. I plan on taking to dealer asap.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Sep 252013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, he attempted to make a turn when suddenly the engine stalled with the illumination of the warning indicator. The vehicle resumed normally once restarted. The failure recurred once. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis where the technician replaced both the throttle body and motor assembly. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 46,230. Updated 11/13/13

- Dwight, IL, USA

Sep 182013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The contact also mentioned that the failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 11/19/13 the throttle body was replaced on October 7, 2013

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Sep 142013

Escape 4-cyl

Was traveling through an intersection and the Escape power quit even though the engine was running. Got it pulled into a parking lot where then I looked up to see what the wrench light meant which was powertrain issue, took it home added transmission fluid thinking that might have been the problem since it was a little low. Had no issues until 9/19/2013 when traveling about 40mph and the same thing happened again. My Escape of course is out of warranty and has been sitting at the butler county for now for 10 days waiting for this throttle body to come in since it is on back order (and Ford wont do a recall when this is happening to so many vehicles they cant get the part) I have been without a vehicle since (borrowing the parents to get to and from work) and the part is still not in and I keep hearing that it is on its way. Never had an issue with the last 6 Ford products I have owned but this is pathetic that nothing is being done before someone gets hurt.

- Butler, PA, USA

Nov 052012

Escape 4-cyl

During stopping at stop lights/stop sings the engine surges back and forth like it is going to die. Now it has started to actually stall out. The stalling has also occurred on freeway driving at speeds over 40 miles per hour.

- Bella Vista, AR, USA