2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 23)

Escape 6-cyl

My daughter was driving to school and she informed me that she lost all acceleration and the vehicle began to jerk forward. This happened 3 times in four days. The engine light and a "wrench" light came on. I took the vehicle to a local Ford dealer approximately 20 miles away. The vehicle lost acceleration 10 times during the trip. The gas pedal would not work and the engine would lower to idle and begin to jerk, as if it were going to stall. I had to shut the engine off and wait a few minutes before cranking again. I would make it 100 yards to 3 miles between each incident. The Ford dealer stated that the throttle body needs replacing. It is being replaced this week. Luckily I had purchased an extended warranty that covers this repair or it would be over $400.

- Edgefield, SC, USA

Sep 222013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle's engine shut off at 60 mph. Had to pull over and restart car to get power.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Sep 132013

This occurred while driving back from work, I bought the vehicle used and it passed inspection from the Ford dealership. I have owned vehicle for almost 5 months when this failure occurred. The symptoms that I experienced were loss of power while accelerating and engine automatically goes into "limp mode" (engine ECU protection protocol so no more damage would be done to the engine) I noticed that the orange wrench light came on in the dashboard, so I took the vehicle to a another Ford dealership and I explained what happened, right of the bat the woman behind the counter said it was a transmission failure (without even looking at the vehicle) so I became suspicious. I took the vehicle to another Ford dealership and I got a hold of the actual mechanic and right away he said it was the throttle body, out of good faith he advise that I can change that part myself without having to pay Ford for them to fix. The estimate for getting it fixed through the dealership was close to $600 +tax, when the part itself cost only around $200 +tax. I bought the part from the dealership and changed it, ever since that fix my vehicle is running even better than before. The man behind the counter that gave me the part mentioned that many people are having this issue and that usually changing the throttle body fixes the issue, he also mentioned that if a recall is to be made to just bring back the defective part and the proof of purchase in order to get my money back. Ford should just stop denying this issue and just admit that the issue was never fully fixed.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012013

We were driving down the highway as a family with 4 total people in the car. The engine and motor lost total power. You could put your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and the engine would have no power and not rev up with no RPM. We almost got rear ended and blasted from behind by a semi-truck. The semi-truck had to take evasive action and if the outside lane had be blocked and he was not able to change lanes then he would of hit us as he showed his displeasure by blasting his horn at me and my family as he skated by. We had to coast over to the shoulder of the highway. Once on the shoulder with cars zipping by and children scared in the car we was able to turn the vehicle off. Then reset it and re-start the car and everything would be fine again for a while. The check engine light comes on but after you reset and restart the car the light goes off till the next time. This started as a random thing but has developed into a daily deal and become very dangerous in the middle of traffic. This happens daily now while driving at a speed of 25 mph plus and has no warning sign. Being told it is a faulty circuit board in the throttle body by the dealership and a $500 plus deal to fix. This occurrence is risking the health, livelihood and safety of my family and kids. Wear and tear maintenance on a vehicle I am ok with fixing but a factory faulty circuit board is not one of those parts and is on the liability of Ford Motor Company as a manufacture defect.

- Glenpool , OK, USA

Sep 192013

With cruise control engaged at 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly disengaged cruise control and went to an extremely rough idle with the vehicle shaking like a leaf in the wind. Had to exit highway through traffic as the throttle would not respond in any position. It was early morning with light traffic thankfully. This could have been different if the problem had occurred later in the day during heavy traffic.

- Boomer, NC, USA

Sep 172013

Standard transmission vehicle. Traveling on city street at 35 mph, vehicle started losing power and engine died. Initially not able to restart, waited 4 minutes and engine started. Few minutes later at a stop, began accelerating but engine died again. After first occurrence, engine light came on and wrench light went on and off. Was able to get vehicle started and proceeded to Ford dealer. Ford dealer diagnosed problem as faulty throttle body and replaced.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Sep 072013

Escape 6-cyl

1st - vehicle was refueled with 87 octane and just drove one mile down and up a hill were it stopped at a red light. Light turned green and the throttle was applied and vehicle lurched and stalled. 2nd - vehicle was driving around neighborhood going 20 mph and started to sputter and hesitate 3rd - rush hour traffic were it was stopped then throttle applied and lurched and stalled 4th - using cruise control driving 75 mph down parkway, vehicle hesitated and then quickly slowed down to 20 mph and stalled 5th - driving to dealer to figure out hesitation and stall, accelerated from red light and hesitated and stalled 6th - still enroute to dealer, check engine light is now illuminated, and vehicle stalls again only 300 feet from last stall. Engine has rough idle. Police officer suggested throttle body problem because his Ford Expedition recently had the same problem and symptoms. Dealer diagnosed a bad throttle body. Vehicle did not have any check engine light illuminated until the last 6th stall. Every time vehicle experienced problem there was no throttle response and restart in neutral led to re-stalling. Vehicle had to be stopped and re-started after transmission was placed in park. Engine sputtered and was resistant to acceleration after 6th stall but slow smooth acceleration proved effective. All stalls were experienced with light to moderate acceleration.

- Fort Campbell, KY, USA

Escape 6-cyl

When the Ford Escape is driving and stops at a light the engine starts to riddle. Once you hit the gas the car goes into second gear then the gas pedals stops working. Can't use the gas pedal.

- North Babylon, NY, USA

Sep 182013

Driving my vehicle home for lunch my vehicle started sputtering and my cruise control kicked off. Vehicle RPM's dropped and accelerator pedal quit working. So I pulled over. I used my dtc device to see what code is popping up and it was P2111. I put car in park, shut it off, waited 30 seconds and started it back up and drove home. Now I'm here typing this up.

- Leesville, LA, USA

Sep 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Tonight I was driving home doing about 55mph when my vehicle suddenly shuddered and lost all power. Luckily I was able to coast it to where it was mostly off of the road. It did not die but continued to shake while in high idle. The power steering was not working properly and no engine lights came on. Pushing the gas pedal produced zero results. I shut it down and pondered whether to try and start it back up or just call a tow truck. Being out in the country I decided to take a chance. It started up and ran fine...for less than two miles...when it repeated the same scenario only in a much more dramatic loss of power shudder and real rough idle. Wrench light came on. I took a picture of the display panels. Didn't notice the loss of power steering that time and the engine did not die. Called the dealership... no tow truck available. Took my chances again and drove it to the dealership since it was only a few miles further then going home. Didn't have any problem during that drive but detected an engine whine sound that I had never noticed before. Vehicle has 53,393 miles on it. Engine was pulled at 8K for oil leaks. Have had numerous incidents of shifting clunking sound at take off over the life of it. Have had brakes fail in reverse. Always pump them before backing out of my garage to make sure they're working ok that day. All work, right down to tire rotations have been done only at the dealership I purchased this brand new at. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty. Guess I'll learn tomorrow what's up with it this time. Sad to have a $28,000 vehicle that I've never really trusted since its early failure. Just thankful I wasn't still on the interstate moving along in 70+ mph rush hour traffic. I will never trust this vehicle again after experiencing this.

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Sep 042013

Escape 6-cyl

The first incident happened on 09-10-13, a week after having the works and an alignment done on my car at a Ford dealer. While driving 40mph, my vehicle surged and lunged, then I lost ability to accelerate my vehicle had to pull over put flashers on and restart vehicle. A yellow wrench light lit up on my dash. I looked it up in the manual which indicated a throttle problem. I called the dealership which serviced my vehicle from the side of the road and they agreed that it was a throttle problem but not to worry unless it happens again; then call to make an appointment. The second incident occurred 09-14-13 while driving at 45 mph. Again I lost ability to accelerate and the wrench light lit up on my dash. I had to coast into a parking lot to restart my vehicle. I called the dealership and made an appointment to have this problem addressed. I pay for an extended service plan for my vehicle and they still told me it was not covered and that they have been having a lot of problems with vehicles experiencing the same thing. I had to pay out of my pocket to replace and fix the problem on a vehicle that is just over three years old and that is not right. The problem did not stem from my operating the vehicle.

- Westland, MI, USA

Sep 122013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving to work and the little wrench symbol lit up as my car lost its acceleration. It still idled, but wouldn't move forward. I was able to drift to the side of the road. Turned off the engine and restarted it, drove another 5 feet and it happened again. I was able to pull off into a parking lot and wait for a tow truck to tow my vehicle to the Ford dealer. It was found that the throttle body was faulty but the Ford dealer said it was not covered under my warranty.

- Catasauqua, PA, USA

Dec 192012

Escape 6-cyl

My Escape often stalls, without warning, while coming to a stop. The battery light comes on, I turn off the vehicle, then immediately restart it without problem.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 012013

It, has happen various times since August, as I drive, the engine start to either misfire or no power at all, it idle normal but as soonest I step on the accelerator start the problem, has light the check engine several times and as the mechanic scans the vehicle the only code that shows is P2111, the last time that happens, have to use a towing service because can get it moving, before I used to turn the engine off, wait several seconds and started again and the situation disappears for a few days and appears back again. Please advice.

- Toa Baja, PR, USA

Sep 162013

When attempting to accelerate from a stop the throttle did nothing. It barely moved. Pulled off to side of road and restarted. After a bit it started up and drove fine for another 5 miles but then it happened again. Pulled off road, restarted and returned home as I was too afraid to continue driving it. Taking it to mechanic today to have it diagnosed. During the drive home the transmission was shifting early and otherwise acting slightly strange.

- Inwood, WV, USA

Sep 102013

Escape 4-cyl

Stopped at light. Got to 20 mph then engine shut off. Coasted 50 feet shifted to neutral restarted car shook, but got me to safety. Got towed. Error code P2112.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 112013

While accelerating and switching from first gear, engine slows to rough idle, no throttle response, wrench light comes on, no check engine light though. Seems to be able to creep to the side of road but no real power or control of throttle. Idle and rev the engine after restart are ok but seems to have trouble under the heavier load of pulling second gear then rather than switching back to first the software crashes or something. Stupid way to handle a problem on Ford end.

- Swampscott, MA, USA

Sep 252012

The throttle body was defective leading to a situation where the vehicle would not accelerate. It would immediate go into a crawl mode just enough toget me to the side of the road. I was able to turn off and restart the vehicle only to have it happen again a few miles later. I took to the dealer immediately, they replaced the throttle body at a cost of $440.

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Sep 072013

Throttle body sensor malfunctioned, and accelerator peddle went limp. Dealership is telling us it's not under warranty, we're under the 36,000mi but over on the 3 years however now I'm reading this is a very common problem with this make and model.

- Oak Creek , WI, USA

Mar 142013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled and lunged forward abnormally. The contact did not take the vehicle to the dealer or a mechanic for a diagnostic test. The contact called the dealer and the dealer stated the throttle could be an issue. The failure mileage was 41,000. Updated 11/15/13

- Stoughton, WI, USA