2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 9 of 23)

Sep 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving home from a day trip w/ friends and when approaching light, car started bucking. When the gas petal was pushed down, the vehicle only went 20 mph and was quickly dropping speed. The red wrench appeared on the dash. We pulled over in a not so very nice part of this particular town, shut off the car. Fortunately for us, the vehicle started and we got home. I have a call to the dealership who sold the vehicle (used) to me in 2012. I am hoping to hear from them tomorrow. Prior to this happening, I explained to them that the vehicle seemed to hesitate many time while driving ; only to be told they couldn't find anything. I know of two friends who experienced this problem and the dealership repair this for free. I am hoping the same. It seems to be though, that this is a recall issue. Imagine if I would have been traveling at high speeds and a big mac truck was behind us. I wouldn't be writing this today. Thank you.

- Manheim, PA, USA

Aug 232013

Started accelerating from a stop light, vehicle stalled and would not go, however engine continued to idle. Wrench light on dash board came on. Turned ignition off then started vehicle back up. Vehicle ran fine and no codes were stored in computer. Condition has gotten so bad within a two week period that it has set the P2112 code for stuck open/stuck closed throttle body. It appears as if the throttle body will need to be replaced. This is a very unsafe condition as vehicle may stop on railroad tracks, in intersections, and while traveling down a highway at highway speeds. There is no warning with this condition.

- Warsaw, IN, USA

Aug 232013

I was driving home with my five year old son when I noticed my vehicle seem to be running rough. First, I noticed a rough idle when I stopped at a stop light. Then, while turning accross on coming traffic the vehicle looses all power with no throttle response and the engine light illuminated. At this point I was still in the way of on coming traffic and could not accelerate to finish the turn. Thank god I did idle to safety. I then stopped on the side of the road and put the vehicle in park and observed a very rough idle and no throttle response at all. I shut off the vehicle and restarted it after thirty seconds and it ran normal again with the engine light off. I immediately took the vehicle to a parts store to have the the ECM scanned for trouble codes. The tech could not recover or read any codes at that time. I found that troubling at the time but found out later that not all scan tools can access stored codes. I had this occur twice the next day while driving to work. I then called my local Ford dealer to schedule service and when I told him the symptoms he immediately knew the problem. I ordered a new throttle body assembly per their instruction and asked if there are any recalls or tsb's on this issue if it's that common. The dealer checked and found a tsb on this problem but no recalls. I personally feel this is definately a safety concern and should treated as that before someone does get hurt or worse, killed in an accident. I called Ford customer service the next day to file a complaint and find out why they aren't being proactive with this serious issue. I was told that they have no known safety recalls or tsb's at this time. I was also told that this problem was not something they had encountered very often. Since then, I have researched this and found that it is very known and being investigated at this time. Thank you.

- Earlville, IL, USA

Jun 112013

While driving check engine light came on and car wont accelorate for me as hard as I press accelorater did not make difference just wouldn't go any faster. If I was on highway or someone behind me it sure would be major problem.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 282013

After approximately 100 feet of travel the engine suddenly braked so that we were traveling at around 6 mph. Throttle was not responsive. I returned home and parked the car and used another one. About an hour later the car started and performed normally. My pocket scanner showed obd2 code 2111, meaning the throttle actuator control was stuck open. I replaced the throttle body, including the actuator control that morning. The car has now run about a week and several hundred miles with no trouble. The number on the original throttle is 100053000805. The new one is ds7Z*9E926, at least that is what it says on the ticket. I have the old part boxed up in case Ford ever recalls it. The parts man at Ford said that the throttle part number had been revised a couple of times. I am just glad that it went bad on a quiet street and not in heavy traffic. I am also glad that I could change it myself and not have to listen to run around.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Sep 032013

My daughter was driving to school on the hwy to school and car shut down completely which lost all power pulled over and tried to restart and had to wait places to me (father) and then it restarted then she drove on to school then she took car on to dealership and dealership performed search and found that it was a throttle body that was going out.

- Midland, TX, USA

Sep 032013

Driving approximately 65 miles per hour, without warning the car just stop going the wrench light showed up on the dash, thank goodness I was able to avoid a collision by coasting off the road. The next day in heavy traffic going 35 miles per hour same thing happened, had to be pushed out of rush hour traffic, narrowly escaping being in an accident. There is no warning what so ever. On way home the car did it again as I was coasting around the corner. That's when I took I to the dealership. Only to be told the part. The throttle body is on national back order. Seems a recall is in order. Over $700 to be fixed, plus possibly 3 weeks waiting for the part.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 042013

Throttle body failure: Replacement not only costly, but also on back order and is estimated to take several weeks.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving home from work at 11:45 P.M. and my vehicle started to slow down, I pulled over to the side of the road, I stepped on the gas and nothing. So I shut it off and waited a few minutes and restarted it, the vehicle took off and I made it home, 26 miles. This happened the next morning when my husband drove it took it to decorah auto center Ford and they said they can't do anything with out a code. I have to restart the vehicle to drive it and this erases the code. Today is the 5th and it happened again that is 3 times in 5 days. The little wrench lights up in the lower left on dash. This is very scary especially in heavy traffic. How can I get a code to get this fixed? I have to restart to drive.

- Cresco, IA, USA

Aug 262013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the road in light traffic. All of a sudden my car jerked a little and lost acceleration. The wrench light came on, and I was able to pull over to the side of the road. I stopped the car, and cut it off. I started it back up, and the light was off. And everything ran fine for the remainder of the drive. Since then, this behavior has happened once or twice every couple of days. I have taken it to a shop to look at it, but will be taking it to the Ford service department as soon as I can after the shop confirmed that it is a problem with the electronic wiring with the motor.

- Richlands, NC, USA

Aug 302013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Traverse city mi driving around 55 mph vehicle started loosing power. Pulled off side of road tried putting it in reverse since it wouldn't go forward slowly went. Check engine light was not on. Ran vehicle health report. Turned engine off and back on hesitated to start but did. Ran a little rough but than went for a mile or less check engine light came on. Ran vehicle health report again.. did the same again rolled to a stop. Turned engine off and on finished going 5 miles to work. Called a wrecker had towed to Ford garage. They said throttle body had to be replaced part wouldn't be in until Tuesday due to labor day. Cost would be $503. Tuesday told me it wouldn't be here until 10:00 a.M. would be done by noon. Called at 12:30 Wednesday told me part is on national back order won't be in until October,17 2013.

- Lake Ann, MI, USA

Jul 262013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate and entering a ramp, the engine just lost power and there was a rapid deceleration. The car had no power and I had to pull over to the shoulder in heavy traffic. There was a wrench symbol lit up on the dash. I towed the car to a Ford dealer in bettendorf Iowa. They told me the problem was a bad throttle body and it would have to be replaced. There was a shortage of parts because there was 5 cars ahead of me waiting for the same parts. Sounds like a common major problem. Should be recalled for this problem. It could have created a dangerous situation.

- Redington Shores, FL, USA

May 012012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I just exited the pa turnpike when my truck began to sputter. The rpms were fluctuating. I was able to coast off to the side of the road, but am glad this happened after I got off the turnpike where I was traveling at 65 mph and had no shoulder to pull off to. It happened twice this week. Monday, September 2nd, as I was traveling apx 55 mph on pa rt 422 and again the following day as I was driving on county line rd at apx. 40 mph. Each time the same thing would happen. My vehicle would sputter and rpms would fluctuate as the engine died. I was almost rear ended by several cars the last time since there was not enough shoulder for me to get my vehicle completely off the road as the engine died. All temperatures were fine and my fluids are good. I took my vehicle into a dealership this morning for diagnostics. I was told it was the throttle vale. After looking online I have noticed many people are having this same issue. Please look into this. Ford needs to fix this unsafe issue!

- Hatfield, PA, USA

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Engine failed. Car abruptly stopped. Wrench light appeared. Restarted car and wrench light went out but engine light remained on solid. Got going on third try and managed to get home about 8 miles. Same scenario continued and my mechanic thoroughly cleaned throttle assembly. Problem continues... tried again....this time failed at going again but almost had vehicle behind me rear end me....../totally unsafe. My wife drives this vehicle and the ramifications are apparent. Had similar problem with my brand new 2008 Taurus if I recall correct. Ford fixed immediately.. I believe they should cover this also although. I must correct immediately. I will keep all invoices for reimbursement. I would appreciate your prompt response. Thank you.

- White Oak, PA, USA

Aug 312013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate going 65 mph I felt a jolt like the car had dropped into a lower gear. The speed immediately went down to 40 mph. When I pushed down on the accelerator it would not go above the 40 mph. I moved over to the shoulder. The wrench light came on. The engine continued to run, very shaky, and I called for a tow. The dealer replaced the throttle body.

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Aug 262013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving about 60 mph when the car lost all power, let cool for about 20 minutes. Then drove it about 20 miles it died again. Let it cool again an it did this 4 times before getting to dealer. The same thing happen on Aug 9 2013 but would not start. Dealer examined starter and found nothing wrong by checking codes. This has happened today a total of three times in one year two of those times I was in heavy traffic and was lucky I was not hit from behind. Ford needs to check and recall these cars, but they need to see body counts before they see a need to do something.

- Canyon Lake, TX, USA

Sep 012013

While driving down the interstate the car lost all power and the check engine light (wrench) came on. The gas pedal was completely unresponsive but I was able to coast to the side and come to a complete stop. I then shut off the engine which was still running at a low RPM. I then re-started the car, the light did not come back on and the car then ran normally.

- Park Ridge, IL, USA

Aug 292013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Driving on highway at about 50 mph, sounded like engine shut down and the gas wouldn't work at all. Thankfully, the brakes worked and I pulled over and turned the car off for a few minutes before turning it back on and driving to my mechanic who recommended going to my Ford dealer. They charged me over $500 to replace the throttle body and reprogram the PCM... any recalls from Ford for this?

- Toronto, OH, USA

Jun 112013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving under normal driving conditions on the expressway when the car suddenly jerked and I no longer could accelerate and the service engine light on the dashboard began flashing. Fortunately, I was able to get on to the shoulder and call a tow truck. It was due to a faulty throttle body. Per the dealer where my vehicle was towed to, the part needed was on Ford's national backorder list and they did not know when the part would become available. It took 5 weeks to get the part. It has only been about 7 weeks and my car did the same jerk on the expressway again today. I was able to continue driving to work as no service lights ignited on the dashboard, but I will be taking my vehicle in to get checked again.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Aug 312013

Escape 6-cyl

Pulling out of intersection, vehicle stuttered twice and lost power. Pressed accelerator to the floor with no response. Pulled off on side of road and was nearly hit several times. Turned vehicle off for a few minutes and re-started, then everything was fine. No check engine light ever came on.

- Holly Springs, NC, USA