2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 22)

Sep 082014

Escape

My daughter and I were driving home traveling at approximately 40 mph. All of a sudden without any warning the car totally lost power and I had to coast into a driveway. Had my daughter been driving by herself she would not know how to remain calm and get to the side of the road. Fortunately I have been driving for a long time and knew what to do. Once I turned the vehicle off and back on it ran fine. I thought it was an isolated incidence and thought maybe we had junk in the fuel. The next time I drove the vehicle we were doing 60 mph when it shut down again and this time I was on the freeway next to a semi in heavy traffic and had to turn my emergency flashers on and coast to the shoulder. I had to cut off vehicles in the right lane to get safely to the shoulder. Once again I turned the vehicle off and back on again and went home. My husband did research on the internet and found that there were lots of complaints with identical symptoms and when they went to the Ford dealership were told they knew nothing about this problem. The other people found out that it was the throttle body that needed replacement. We went to the local Ford dealership and asked about it and they played dump and said they hadn't heard anything about it and were actually rude to us. I located a throttle body in stock at a Ford dealership 3 hours away. We picked the part up and my husband installed it. It took approximately 1 hour to replace and cost $207.22. I have not had a problem since. It is criminal to allow this to go unfixed. It posses a terrible risk to drivers. The throttle body is not just on the 2009-2013 Ford Escape it is also on : 2010-2012 Ford Fusion, 2011-2013 Lincoln mkz, 2010-2011 Mercury Milan, and 2009-2011 Mercury mariner.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Jul 272014

Escape

My family and I were traveling hw 113 in va coming back to pa from nc. My husband accelerated to pass a vehicle. After passing, our vehicle began losing acceleration...my husband pushed the gas pedal to the floor and was not getting any acceleration. The wrench light illuminated and we had to make an emergency stop on the side of the highway while cars were passing us and coming up on us quickly. We came to a stop and the vehicle began to stall. My husband shut the vehicle off, waiting a minute and restarted. The vehicle seemed to run fine the rest of the way to pa. We called the dealership the following day (Monday) and were told they could not get the vehicle in until 8/4. I began finding info on the web regarding Ford's customer satisfaction program 13N03 regarding the throttle body. I took the vehicle in and was told there were not any codes showing on the computer. They refused to replace the throttle body. I was told to drive the vehicle and if it happened again to bring it back. I refused and insisted they replace it. I am now still fighting with Ford to reimburse me. I have sent letters to Ford only to receive a "form letter" back from them suggesting that I take the vehicle to the dealership to determine if the throttle body needs replacement...I had it replaced already...they obviously do not read letters sent to them. I will keep fighting but I do not understand why the NHTSA continues to receive complaints about this issue and does nothing about it. It is a huge safety issue! shame on Ford and the NHTSA!

- Morgantown, PA, USA

May 082014

Escape

Concern 25 & 51 - vehicle leaking oil and grease from engine/transaxle area.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Nov 302013

Escape

I was stopped at a stoplight and as I accelerated to go through when it turned green, the car just completely died - no warning. It restarted right away so I continued on my way. About an hour later, I had just turned into my neighborhood, so I was going about 10-15 mph and it died again. We took it into the shop and since it was not dying for them, they told us they could not pinpoint the problem. We went for probably 9 months without this happening again, and then about 3 weeks ago, we were driving about 55 mph and it just randomly died again. We took it into the shop this time and they told us that it was the purge valve. $1500 later, the problem is still not fixed. Today, it died 3 times in a matter of 5 minutes, all inside of a parking garage. This car is too new to be pouring thousands of dollars into it - especially if this problem is as common as it seems.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Sep 292014

Escape

While driving into work with my cruise control set at 60mph, my vehicle suddenly sputtered and the cruise control disengaged and there seemed to be a loss of power. I remember this description from the throttle bottle notification I received from Ford a few months back. I had taken my Escape into the dealership on 9/11/14 to have this taken care off and now 2 weeks later my vehicle now has the throttle control/powertrain warning light on and is showing all signs of the notification from Ford. I know this issue has already been addressed, but now I am questioning as to whether or not Ford is actually fixing the problem.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Sep 162014

Escape

I was traveling on interstate I-75 when I experienced a sudden loss of power. I was able to manuever my car to the shoulder of the road. I turned my car off, waited a few minutes and restarted my car. The car when into drive and accelerated with no problem. I am very concerned about this problem. This is a major highway that I travel daily to and from work in rush hour traffic. Thankfully, I was not hit in the rear of the car by oncoming semi trucks. I would appreciate some advice on this problem.

- Wyandotte , MI, USA

Sep 142014

Escape

Car coasted to a stop with engine running. Had to stop put in park, shut off and restart and put in gear to move. We have been told it is a throttle body issue and no warrantee coverage. It has happened 4 times since yesterday. In traffic it is very dangerous and my wife was almost rear ended today.

- Salem, IL, USA

Sep 062014

Escape

While accelerating to pull out into traffic gas pedal quit working and wrench light came on when hitting about 20 mph and car slowed to a crawl. Car stayed idling, but gas pedal quit working all together. Idled down first side street and shut the car off. Restarted vehicle 2 mins later and gas pedal started working again. Car idle revs up for a second suddenly on its own at slow speeds like waiting in a drive thew and causes the car to jerk forward if brake pedal is not pressed on firmly. Sometimes feels like the person behind you has hit your car when they haven't.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Sep 042014

Escape

While on a busy 6 lane hwy., I was at a center turn lane and completed my turn when light changed, then went to make my right turn on to the next road.... when my cars started to shake very badly and lost all power down to a crawl, and then stall, with cars behind me almost rear ending myself!! with horns blaring I was able to restart it to only have it do it again, only this time I was able to pull into the oil change shop there on that corner, where they checked for codes & found the "tac system stuck open"... they checked all fluids and I drove to the local repair shop and went on to work to start researching the problem!!

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 022014

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the throttle failed and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 282014

Escape

Engine stalled at 70 mph without warning on a busy highway. Still had power steering. Needed to cross three lanes of traffic without engine power. Extremely dangerous situation. Attempted to restart engine approximately 10 times. Each time engine would start, idle for several seconds, and then cut off. Eventually was able to start engine, put engine into neutral and revved engine to moderate RPM speed. Seemed to reset issue and was able to drive away.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Aug 262014

Escape

Me and my son were out I was driving around 35- 40 mph and my car started to feel strange out of the blue my wrench light comes on and then my engine light I lose all power I am hitting gas petal nothing happens. Just stops on busy street. I was terrified for our safety. I turn off car wait a few mins and start again it happened 3 times in a 3 mile radius. Its parked and not risking my life or somebody else.

- Cabot, AR, USA

Aug 152014

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle lost power as the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnose or repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Norwalk, OH, USA

Apr 072014

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the wrench warning icon illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact stated that the cruise control would deactivate when the wrench warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Lathrop, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Escape

While traveling about 65 mph down the highway my 2010 Ford Escape's engine stopped completely. A warning light (the wrench on the Ford models) came on as a I coasted to a safe spot on the highway. Steering gave out a bit too. Car started right back up after I found a safe location to stop.

- Suffield, CT, USA

Oct 092013

Escape

Throughout all of last winter, I had issues with my 2010 Ford Escape stalling. This occurred countless times, and nearly caused many accidents. It most frequently occurred when it was very cold (zero or below), and on some occasions would stall numerous times in a row, or fail to re-start. No warning light of any sort ever came on. After paying well over $1000 to get various things "fixed" that I was told would solve the problem, it continued happening. Then I received the first bulletin letter regarding throttle body issues and took my car to the Ford dealership in South burlington, vt. They proceeded to tell me that because they couldn't duplicate the issue, or get a code, they couldn't help me. A few weeks later when it happened again, the wrench light came on for the first time, so I drove directly to the dealership again. I was told once again that they couldn't fix the throttle body issue, and tried charging me over $300 for diagnosing my car (looking into the issue of why the wrench was illuminated). I refused to pay, because this is a Ford issue, it's well documented all over the internet, and it's something they need to pay for. My car is still not fixed.

- Essex, VT, USA

Jul 012014

Escape

Came home from a 45 mile trip. Pulled up in front of our home. I put the vehicle into reverse & the engine died. Ford had just reprogrammed this vehicle per a recall only about 1,000 miles before this engine failure. I had noticed since the reprogramming that the engine hesitated at times & sounded/felt like at other times like the engine was going to die. Ford replaced spark plugs 1, 2, & 4 stating that they were intermittently misfiring under load. Since spark plugs were replaced vehicle no longer hesitates but the engine continues to sound/feel like it is going to die at times.

- Merced, CA, USA

Jul 202014

Escape

I was driving at 40mph on a city street. The vehicle suddenly shuddered and began to slow down. I am now aware to look for a trouble light. The wrench light was illuminated although difficult to see through the glare of the windshield. I was clearly able to see the light. The car slowed to a complete stop. The engine continued to run rough and there was no loss of electrical power. I put the car into park and restarted the car. The car ran without incident until I was able to park at home-about 5 miles away. The car had routine service on 7-16-2014. A throttle body reading was not done, as I requested at time of service, although it was was documented, in writing, that there was a calibration update for my vehicle at this time. A previous incident of complete electrical failure was blamed on a faulty battery in March. I had had absolutely no previous indication "failure" or cranking issues up until the time of electrical power/battery failure. Even the key fob did not work to unlock the doors. The battery was replaced at my expense. Inquiries about the throttle body issue was were also ignored, by the dealer, at that time.

- Westland, MI, USA

Jan 262011

Escape

I had just turned left under an underpas and was in the middle lane under an overpass I remember thinking "wow. This is apowerful engine." A car was coming in front of me and when I braked it did not slow down and I hit the car and that's all I remember when I came too the horn was blowing and two people were pounding on my windows and my emergency bag had deployed, I was released. They gave me first aid until the ambulance came, treated me and took me to the emergency room. The other driver was not injured. They kept me overnight. I believe because I had a concussion. I was very confused. They kept me overnight and went home the next day. The damage to my vehicle was in access of $16,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 302014

Escape

Driving in city 35-40 mph vehicle slowed to idle.pulled over because wrench light lit up, sat for 15-20 minutes vehicle restarted.

- Lorain, OH, USA