2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 22)

Jul 282015

We lost power from our gas pedal. Then it got hot. Then it would not move.

- Fairview, PA, USA

May 112015

Purchased 2010 Ford Escape XLT in April 2015. (1) vehicle had sound coming from engine when accelerating. Issued fixed by dealer replacing belt tensioner but noise has since returned. (2) vehicle already had or developed constant vibration at idle when in drive and foot on break and gets worse with A/C on. Took to dealer 3 times who stated they replaced right engine mount and rear transmission mount but vibration continued after repairs. Service dept tech stating that there is a strong vibration but that they are unable to determine engine vibration but that vehicle is operational. Vibration is very strong and almost feels like engine wants to turn off at times. If transmission is put in neutral or park then vibration is gone and not noticeable while driving. (3) transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd is harsh and delayed at times causing a jerking motion on numerous occasions during city driving and transmission occasionally jerks when put in reverse but not always consistent. Safety concern is vehicle feels as if it may shut down while this vibration is being observed and causes safety concerns when driving vehicle and that transmission may fail soon. Purchased at Fiat of fresno, fresno ca.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 042015

When I began to takeoff the engine or trans hesitated badly and the "wrench" light came on and stayed on until I turned off the engine. When I restarted the engine the wrench light did not come on. Next day while driving the engine and transmission hesitated again and the wrench light came back on. This still continues.

- Greenville, TX, USA

May 302015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While driving down the street, the vehicle suddenly seemed to stall. The 'wrench' light came on and the engine was still running but only moving at idle speed. Pressing the accelerator did nothing, the engine kept stayed at idle. I pulled over and then turned off the engine. The car restarted and the wrench light was off. I accelerated up to street speed (30-35 mph) and the same thing happened again, the wrench light came on. I again pulled over, turned off the engine, and then restarted the car. This time the wrench light went off but the 'check engine' light came on and stayed on. I was able to drive the car where I needed to go by keeping it under 30 mph. I did make it to a auto-parts store and they were able to hook up a diagnostic machine to give me the P2111 trouble code, throttle body stuck open. When I restarted the car, the check engine light was off and I was able to accelerate up to 55 mph on the highway with no issues and later was on the interstate at 65-70 mph. Nothing more happened over the next week but on my way to work this morning, 6/8, the same issue happened 5 times on my way to work. The car would just suddenly lose power and the engine would only run at idle speed. The wrench light came on each time. I would pull over and stop, as turning off the car while coasting and then restarting did not seem to 'reset' the car. When it restarted, the wrench light was gone but it came back on and the car stalled several times. After the third time, the check engine light came on again and it happened twice more after that.

- Verona, WI, USA

Mar 162015

Escape 6-cyl

The indicator showed upon starting the car, a red warning light "engine check". I was able to drive home less than a mile in at a slow speed, no acceleration was possible. The next morning my husband followed me to the nearest local car repair shop which is 12 miles from my home. Again, no acceleration was possible. The car required that the electronic throttle body be replaced. There is a field service action on this model. The previous year the car had been taken to the Ford dealership, where the car was purchased, for a voluntary safety defect check for this same issue. Apparently the temporary fix, reprogramming the control, that was performed on my vehicle the previous year was not satisfactory to resolve the issue. This is a danger to operating vehicles, since there is no warning until the service goes out in the performance of this part. Fortunately I was near my home at the time of the occurrence and was able to safely get to a car repair shop down a rural road for repairs. I would not have been able to drive the car on a city street or highway. Basically the car should have been towed in for repairs.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

Apr 222015

While moving in left of two lanes in moderate traffic at ~58 mph the car lost all power. Accelerator did not function. 'wrench' warning light on dashboard was illuminated. All electrical equipment, power brakes, and power steering seemed to function normally. Vehilce had no power, meaning that driver could not control speed of vehicle. Right turn signal was activated and the vehicle was 'coasted' to the right berm -- almost being hit by another vehicle! driver sat in vehicle assessing status of all gauges and (warning) lights. Nothing appeared out of ordinary except for 'wrench' light. Vehicle was turned of. After 30 second pause, vehicle was restarted. Wrench light was not illuminated and, again, all gauges and lights appeared normal. Re-entered traffic and successfully reached grocery store -- 1 mile away. Vehicle was parked. Upon completion of shopping vehicle was started and driver was able to return home (~5 miles) without event reoccurring. This is an extremely dangerous situation. It is only through 'good luck' that our vehicle was not hit by other traffic. Driver had zero control over vehicle speed.

- Ft Myers, FL, USA

Feb 132015

Turn into a parking space and hit the brake to stop, car surged forward and jumped the curb. Hit a bus shelter, side swiped a tree, then jump curb back to parking lot before Escape came to a full stop. First time sled on a small patch of ice car surged brakes never took hold slid and avoided and street light and a tree before coming to a full stop. Took car to shop for oil change had brakes checked said no problem. But sometimes this SUV has a power surge when appling brakes.

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

Apr 112015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. While driving at 60 mph, the vehicle hesitated and the speed decreased to 40 mph. The vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to steer the vehicle, but was able to pump the brakes and stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was determined that the gears in the transmission had been stripped. The check engine light, oil light, and battery light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the dealer previously changed the fuel gasket twice, but that did not correct the failure. The vehicle was taken to another dealer who determined that the transmission failed. The vehicle had not been repaired. The contact spoke with the manufacturer in regards to a newsletter regarding replacing the throttle body and reprogramming the PCM under investigation PE13003. The manufacturer stated that the dealer did not feel the repair was warranted and the manufacturer declined to pay for the repair. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Forest Park, IL, USA

Apr 052015

Driving normally, throttle control powertrain warning light comes on, check engine light comes on, car gas pedal does not work, engine idles and does not accelerate. When you shut the car all the way off and wait then restart the engine the car works as normal again.

- Woodbury, NJ, USA

Jan 162015

Was driving, and transmission wouldn't allow RPM to go above 500 and continued to drop to 0 and shut off in the middle of the road.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Dec 222014

While driving to work, my car died twice. The first time, while approaching a stop light, the engine cut off. When I came to a stop; I put it in park to try and start it again, and it seemed to struggle when starting as if I were out of gas, but I had just filled up my tank that morning. The light turned green, and there was a stop sign about 500 yards away, and as soon as I was coming to a stop again; the engine dies. This time it took twice as long and several attempts to get it started again. Also, when I am sitting idle at a stop light or a stop sign, the rpms will drop very low and start to stall out. I am able to catch it and rev the engine to prevent it from stalling sometimes.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Sep 082014

My daughter and I were driving home traveling at approximately 40 mph. All of a sudden without any warning the car totally lost power and I had to coast into a driveway. Had my daughter been driving by herself she would not know how to remain calm and get to the side of the road. Fortunately I have been driving for a long time and knew what to do. Once I turned the vehicle off and back on it ran fine. I thought it was an isolated incidence and thought maybe we had junk in the fuel. The next time I drove the vehicle we were doing 60 mph when it shut down again and this time I was on the freeway next to a semi in heavy traffic and had to turn my emergency flashers on and coast to the shoulder. I had to cut off vehicles in the right lane to get safely to the shoulder. Once again I turned the vehicle off and back on again and went home. My husband did research on the internet and found that there were lots of complaints with identical symptoms and when they went to the Ford dealership were told they knew nothing about this problem. The other people found out that it was the throttle body that needed replacement. We went to the local Ford dealership and asked about it and they played dump and said they hadn't heard anything about it and were actually rude to us. I located a throttle body in stock at a Ford dealership 3 hours away. We picked the part up and my husband installed it. It took approximately 1 hour to replace and cost $207.22. I have not had a problem since. It is criminal to allow this to go unfixed. It posses a terrible risk to drivers. The throttle body is not just on the 2009-2013 Ford Escape it is also on : 2010-2012 Ford Fusion, 2011-2013 Lincoln mkz, 2010-2011 Mercury Milan, and 2009-2011 Mercury mariner.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Jul 272014

My family and I were traveling hw 113 in va coming back to pa from nc. My husband accelerated to pass a vehicle. After passing, our vehicle began losing acceleration...my husband pushed the gas pedal to the floor and was not getting any acceleration. The wrench light illuminated and we had to make an emergency stop on the side of the highway while cars were passing us and coming up on us quickly. We came to a stop and the vehicle began to stall. My husband shut the vehicle off, waiting a minute and restarted. The vehicle seemed to run fine the rest of the way to pa. We called the dealership the following day (Monday) and were told they could not get the vehicle in until 8/4. I began finding info on the web regarding Ford's customer satisfaction program 13N03 regarding the throttle body. I took the vehicle in and was told there were not any codes showing on the computer. They refused to replace the throttle body. I was told to drive the vehicle and if it happened again to bring it back. I refused and insisted they replace it. I am now still fighting with Ford to reimburse me. I have sent letters to Ford only to receive a "form letter" back from them suggesting that I take the vehicle to the dealership to determine if the throttle body needs replacement...I had it replaced already...they obviously do not read letters sent to them. I will keep fighting but I do not understand why the NHTSA continues to receive complaints about this issue and does nothing about it. It is a huge safety issue! shame on Ford and the NHTSA!

- Morgantown, PA, USA

May 082014

Concern 25 & 51 - vehicle leaking oil and grease from engine/transaxle area.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Nov 302013

I was stopped at a stoplight and as I accelerated to go through when it turned green, the car just completely died - no warning. It restarted right away so I continued on my way. About an hour later, I had just turned into my neighborhood, so I was going about 10-15 mph and it died again. We took it into the shop and since it was not dying for them, they told us they could not pinpoint the problem. We went for probably 9 months without this happening again, and then about 3 weeks ago, we were driving about 55 mph and it just randomly died again. We took it into the shop this time and they told us that it was the purge valve. $1500 later, the problem is still not fixed. Today, it died 3 times in a matter of 5 minutes, all inside of a parking garage. This car is too new to be pouring thousands of dollars into it - especially if this problem is as common as it seems.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Sep 292014

While driving into work with my cruise control set at 60mph, my vehicle suddenly sputtered and the cruise control disengaged and there seemed to be a loss of power. I remember this description from the throttle bottle notification I received from Ford a few months back. I had taken my Escape into the dealership on 9/11/14 to have this taken care off and now 2 weeks later my vehicle now has the throttle control/powertrain warning light on and is showing all signs of the notification from Ford. I know this issue has already been addressed, but now I am questioning as to whether or not Ford is actually fixing the problem.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Sep 162014

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling on interstate I-75 when I experienced a sudden loss of power. I was able to maneuver my car to the shoulder of the road. I turned my car off, waited a few minutes and restarted my car. The car when into drive and accelerated with no problem. I am very concerned about this problem. This is a major highway that I travel daily to and from work in rush hour traffic. Thankfully, I was not hit in the rear of the car by oncoming semi trucks. I would appreciate some advice on this problem.

- Wyandotte , MI, USA

Sep 142014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Car coasted to a stop with engine running. Had to stop put in park, shut off and restart and put in gear to move. We have been told it is a throttle body issue and no warranty coverage. It has happened 4 times since yesterday. In traffic it is very dangerous and my wife was almost rear ended today.

- Salem, IL, USA

Sep 062014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While accelerating to pull out into traffic gas pedal quit working and wrench light came on when hitting about 20 mph and car slowed to a crawl. Car stayed idling, but gas pedal quit working all together. Idled down first side street and shut the car off. Restarted vehicle 2 mins later and gas pedal started working again. Car idle revs up for a second suddenly on its own at slow speeds like waiting in a drive thru and causes the car to jerk forward if brake pedal is not pressed on firmly. Sometimes feels like the person behind you has hit your car when they haven't.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Sep 042014

Escape 4-cyl

While on a busy 6 lane hwy., I was at a center turn lane and completed my turn when light changed, then went to make my right turn on to the next road.... when my cars started to shake very badly and lost all power down to a crawl, and then stall, with cars behind me almost rear ending myself!! with horns blaring I was able to restart it to only have it do it again, only this time I was able to pull into the oil change shop there on that corner, where they checked for codes & found the "tac system stuck open"... they checked all fluids and I drove to the local repair shop and went on to work to start researching the problem!!

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA