2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 15 of 28)

Aug 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down interstate 45 in houston, car was running, but no power from the gas pedal. Needed to coast to an exit where I stopped completely. I needed to power down the car completely then restart the car before the gas pedal worked again. This has happened twice. The other time was about a month earlier. Ford service department said it was a defective "throttle body". something like that shouldn't fail so early. I was just out of my warranty as well.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jun 042013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate any further. The vehicle was shut off and restarted as it operated as designed. The failure recurred one month later while the contact was driving 35 mph. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 47,000. Updated 09/25/13

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down the highway, my car suddenly lost the ability to accelerate and I could no longer continue down the road. I pulled over and my car was running extremely rough. It almost felt like the car was bucking due to a novice driving a manual transmission - note that this was when I was parked as well as when I was decelerating. I noticed the orange wrench lit up on my dash and got a tow to the nearest dealership. The dealership called me and let me know it was a throttle body issue and it has been replaced. My car only had 48K on it and there is no way in my opinion that this should happen. I feel like I'm having money stolen from my wallet due to the fact Ford is fully aware of the problem but is not taking proactive steps to fix it.

- New Market, MD, USA

May 012013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving my car has been stalling. It will also like surge forward. Today is repeatedly did this to the point where I couldnt get anywhere.

- Parma Hts, OH, USA

Aug 022013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on I-64 westbound in the far left hov lane in newport news, Virginia around 4:30 P.M. on August 2 during rush hour when my 2010 Ford Escape, which was on cruise control set at 60 mph, suddenly stopped accelerating. I pressed the pedal and it continued to decelerate and started to shake. I put on my emergency flashers. My husband and I almost got hit numerous times by cars traveling at speeds of up to 65 miles per hour, as I was forced to cross four lanes of speeding traffic to reach the right shoulder. I feared that had my car stopped before reaching the shoulder, another car would have easily slammed into the rear of my vehicle, causing major bodily harm or death. After numerous near-collisions, I made it safely to the right shoulder. At that point, my heart was racing and my hands were trembling. My husband and I could have been killed!!! my car is now sitting at the Ford dealership with no estimated time of repair. I depend upon my automobile for transportation to and from work, as well as other places. Please help me.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 032013

Escape 6-cyl

My husband and I were driving from downtown columbus back to our home and we were in between multiple cars on the freeway. While going 65 mph the vehicle began to slightly jerk and loose speed. The vehicles around us and behind us were attempting to avoid crashing into us. We about half a mile from the nearest exit and by the time we made it to the ramp we were only going 35 mph. There was no where to safely pull over on the freeway due to ongoing construction. It was extremely dangerous and I felt as though we could have been in a potentially deadly accident. Throughout this ordeal the throttle control/powertrain light was on. Once we got off on the nearest exit we were forced to come to a complete stop. We obviously could not use the gas to go forward and it was scary because we had traffic behind us. We turned the vehicle completely off and restarted it right there on the exit ramp and to our surprise the vehicle started up and the light was off. After reading how many people have had this same incident occur to them while driving this vehicle I am shocked that there has not been a recall. Does someone have to die before someone does something about this" what if my 2 year old had been in the vehicle on the freeway and someone hit us because we were unable to avoid a crash" now I know that I should not be driving this vehicle because it appears that this will continue from what I have read and I am supposed to give money to Ford to fix a problem that is not my fault... *shaking my head*, someone needs to do something about this.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Aug 042013

Escape 6-cyl

We had just turned onto our street, started to proceed up the hill at about 35-40 mph. Car suddenly went unresponsive. Wrench light indicator lit up on dashboard. Started to idle very hard, then surge, then low idle, then surge RPM. No gas pedal response at all. Luckily we had just got off the highway, and were close to home. However, we were going uphill. We had just enough momentum to get over the hill and coast down to our driveway. Upon putting the car in park in our driveway, the RPM's were fluctuating from almost 0, then shooting back up to over 2500. From wanting to stall, to wanting to race ahead. In researching, I have seen this described as a faulty electronic throttle body, which apparently has affected over 725,000 of these vehicles and still without recall. This is insane and highly dangerous if you are traveling in heavy traffic or on the highway as you have no control over the vehicle just wanting to stop dead. We were lucky in that we were already off of the interstate and close to home. Please, please investigate this issue further! our normal warranty has just expired of course, and they say this is not covered by the powertrain warranty. Great, we have to pay not only for the car, but for it's defects as well. We don't just have an extra $500 laying around to repair this! this should be a recall.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Aug 022013

Escape 6-cyl

Left turn form a stop and engine went to idle, no acceleration. Shut engine off and restarted, normal. Drove home three miles and parked. Won't drive until problem is corrected.

- Watertown, CT, USA

Jul 202013

Escape

On July 20, 2013 going down the highway at 50mph vehicle suddenly jerks and slows down and the wrench (throttle control/power train) light comes on. While pressing gas pedal it would not accelerate it just continued to slow down. I coasted to side of the road and it starts jerking. I put car in park and turned it off. It took 2 tries to get it started, but once it started it ran like nothing was wrong. On July 26, 2013 same symptoms happened 4 times. Same symptoms happened again on Aug. 1, 2013 during rush hour traffic when I was sitting at a red light and when light turned green I gave it gas to go and it messed up in the middle of the intersection and I luckily made it to the side of the road! I turned it off and turned it back on (took 2 tries) and drove it home. Next morning I had it towed to local Ford dealership and they called me about 4 hrs later stating the throttle body needs to be replaced and it will cost just shy of $600! I was also told the part is on national back order and it may be a week before they get it. This issue happens randomly and there is no warning before it happens. This is dangerous! there needs to be a recall for this issue!

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jul 302012

Escape 6-cyl

Car shuddered then died in middle of very dangerous, narrow, curvy road. Started up immediately but died when put in drive. Eventually got the car home after numerous stalls (a distance of approx. 3 miles) had to have car towed in. Told it was the throttle body and the $514 repair bill was not covered under any of the warranties. We had owned the car 30 days, and the extended warranty expired the day of the event. Apparently Ford is aware of the problem but refuses to recall or pay for repairs. My 17 year old son could very easily have been killed.

- Swansboro, NC, USA

Aug 012013

Escape 4-cyl

When driving a wrench light came on and I had no power to the acceleration pedal but the engine never stalled causing the car to coast to the side of the road. The problem was the throttle body. Happened more then one time last time was at 59000 miles first was around 40000 miles.

- Piedmont, SC, USA

Jul 302013

Escape

While on a two lane road driving 40 mph, the engine in my 2010 Ford Escape started to sputter as if it was going to die. It did not, but immediately after the incident I was no longer able to accelerate my vehicle. The engine did not rev, the car remained on but just coasted. I pulled over to the side of the road, turned off my car and turned it on again. I was then able to drive for approximately 7 minutes until the same problem occurred again. The next day I experienced the same problem on a 4 lane road going approximately 45 mph. This is a serious problem and could have had a fatal outcome. Ford needs to recall the throttle body for all affected vehicles immediately!!

- Huntley, IL, USA

Escape 4-cyl

I was exiting off the highway and all of a sudden my vehicle shifted and then started losing speed and would not accelerate. I had to immediately pull over to the right side of the street and put on my hazard lights and bring the car to a complete stop. I then put the car in park and turned off the ignition and started it again and drove on home. It happened again the next day with me being aware that it may do it again. So I took it to a car repair shop and learned that the throttle body was the cause and has to be replaced. I have only had the car for 6 mos and it is not covered under my warranty.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 282013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving and the truck just stop. It would not go until I turned the car off and turn it back on again. Then, it took off fast and slowed down again. We had to push the car home! luckily, we was not too far from home. We was on our way to church, instead pushing a heavy truck in our good clothes. A hot mess. We had this truck a out 11 months. I bought a warranty but guess what it did not cover the throttle body. Its at the Ford dealer causing $410 that I do not have; plus the part is on back order. It could take up to 3 weeks to get here.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Escape

Driving down the highway and the engine went "limp". the vehicle did not stall but did not have any power. Pulled off to the side of the road, observed the wrench light on the dashboard. After a minute I turned off and then restarted the vehicle without problem. Approximately 8-10 miles down the road the exact same issue arose. Pulled off to the side of the road and restarted once again. Additionally, the engine light came on an stayed on. Previously, over the past year I have experienced more subtle issues when trying to accelerate in which the vehicle sort of hiccups and then eventually begins to accelerate. Had the engine code read and determined the 2112 code identified a stuck throttle.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 262013

Escape 4-cyl

Driving up a hill and the car stalled. No power. Was able to pull over, shut off engine and restart. Car stalled two more times before I could get it home. Once from a stop at an intersection light which resulted in a stall in the middle of a busy intersection almost causing a wreck. The second time as I slowed down to make a turn. Took it immediately to a Ford dealer. Defective electronic throttle body which is on backorder. They have had my car a week now. May be another week before part comes in. This is a dangerous part breakdown and Ford needs to fix it free. There needs to be a recall.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

My vehicle stalled out twice so I took it to the dealer and have been told I have to replace the throttle body.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Jul 272013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving at 50 mph, engine went to idle and was unresponsive to throttle so car coasts to a stop. A warning light that looks like a wrench came on. This indicates a power train fault and a few days later the dealer diagnosed and replaced the throttle body.

- Wildwood, MO, USA

Jul 302013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at interstate speed vehicle lost all power and I was forced to pull over and stop. Engine did not quit running, just nothing happens when gas peddle is pushed. Shut off engine, then restarted it then ran find for a while, then does it again. Very dangerous situation. On the 30 mile drive home this occurred about a dozen times. My mechanic is replacing the throttle body as I'm writing this. As I need my vehicle to get around I can't wait for a recall..my mechanic told me in my case the throttle body stuck closed. If it would have been stuck open it would accelerate instead of loosing all power. I don't want to thing what might have happened if that were the case.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 262013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the throttle control and engine lights. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic for diagnosis where it was stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Lykens, PA, USA