2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 18 of 28)

Jul 112013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the engine rpms increased excessively as the vehicle suddenly accelerated. Also, the contact stated that the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the part was on back order. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 55,000.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jan 212013

Escape 4-cyl

As I was turning onto a busy street (turning right on red) my car without any indication suddenly lost power. I managed to coast into a parking lot and put the car into park and turn it off. I noticed a wrench symbol appear in the left panel, and the car immediately started again. I had just had my car serviced the day before (Jan 19, 2013). This occurred approximately 3-4 times more over the next few days. I called the service department and described the problem, and took it in. They said they could fin no problem with my car that would cause this to happen. A week or so later it happened again. I called by to the service department and described that the same thing was still happening. They explained that they could see nothing on the machine that indicated a problem. I called Ford and ask about any recalls and was told there were none for my vehicle. The service department recommended that I wait until the problem manifested and call because they were unable to duplicate the problem. Months( late June) then it happened again. I took it in again and was told that everything was fine. On a trip to charlotte nc going approximately 70 mph in the left lane, my car suddenly lost power (scary!!!) I was able to make it to the right shoulder without incident. My car did this approximately eight times between concord nc and goldsboro nc (with two young children in the car). Upon return, I called the service department and took it in again. This time they identified the throttle body--a day late and a dollar short--my car's warranty expired approximately two weeks earlier. My car is at the Ford dealership as I write this waiting to be repaired. I am told the throttle body is on a national backlog. I feel that I have been mistreated as a consumer on so many levels.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Jul 102013

Escape 6-cyl

On five separate occasions within the span of a day, the car, while moving, stuttered and stalled. I was able to start the car again, but it would stall soon thereafter. It almost felt like the car was "choking" and the engine would not fully turn off. I took the car into the dealer and was informed it was a defective "throttle body" and that Ford had been having issues with this part. It was not in recall yet. I called Ford customer service to file a formal complaint. They paid for the throttle body part, however, I was charged over $300 to replace the part. I am only 5,000- 6,000 miles out of warranty on the car.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Jul 142013

Escape

I was driving about 55 mph when the wrench dashboard indicator light comes on. At the same time my gas pedal ceases to work and car speed decreases. I have to coast onto the shoulder of the road. Thankfully brakes work. Car is still running. I turn car off and wait a minute. Turn back on. It starts. Light is gone and car feels shuddery but continues running.

- Gulf Shores, AL, USA

Jul 122013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that wile driving 60 mph, the vehicle jerked and lost acceleration power without warning. The contact was able to move off the roadway however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic where diagnostic testing was performed, which located the failure at the throttle body. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 38,000.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

Jul 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Traveling at 65 mph engine suddenly drops in RPM to about 600 - 900 RPM and check engine light comes on. Pulled car to side of road, shut it off and restarted. Engine ran fine and was later inspected. Obd indicates throttle body malfunction and requires replacement.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 122013

Escape 6-cyl

About a month ago, while making a left hand turn, my car suddenly stopped accelerating. Again, 2 weeks later while leaving work it stopped accelerating in traffic almost causing an accident (thankfully the person behind me slammed on their brakes). I pulled into a parking lot and it immediately did the same thing again. My car was towed to the dealership where they found that it was a throttle body issue. I already had an idea of this issue from my own research. Apparently a lot of Escape owners have had the same problem. This can cause a serious accident. The part is also on back order for 15 days which leaves me without a vehicle until it is fixed. I assume that since the throttle body is on back order that many people are having the same issue. There should be a recall on this part.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 152013

Escape

I was traveling approximately 35-40 mph when my car stalled, but not shutting off and the RPM fluttering between 1000-2000 RPM. My accelerator pedal would not allow me to press it to increase RPM or mph. Next my check engine light came one and the wrench symbol as well. I call my local Ford dealership/service and he explained it to be the accelerator throttle body and there is a national back order for this part. If this is the case there should be a national recall from the government or Ford about this problem.

- Claymont, DE, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

The first incident happened as I was leaving work. I'd just pulled out of our parking lot onto the highway when my car failed to accelerate. A wrench symbol light came on and I coasted to the side of the highway, turned it off, let it sit for a moment and then restarted my car. I made it about 7 miles when the same thing happened. I pulled into a parking lot and used my phone to google the symptoms on a Ford forum. It stated that there were in fact several incidents stating the exact same problems. And that after restarting their vehicles, it resets itself. So I continued home. It happened 2 more times before I made it home only now the check engine light was on as well. I called Ford and they stated there was in fact an issue with the throttle body affecting several Ford vehicles. I had my car towed to Ford where they diagnosed that it was in fact the throttle body. However, this part is now on a national backorder. I am the 13th person at my local dealership needing this part in order to drive my vehicle. I have children and I refuse to put their lives at risk in this vehicle. They cleaned the throttle body and said this was a band aid fix until the part came in which by the way has no eta.this band aid repair lasted less than 24 hours. I have the extended warranty and it will cover this repair but I'm going to have to pay $100 deductible for it to be fixed. Why am I having to pay out of pocket for a problem that is not specific to my vehicle? they have posted bulletins but still no recall. Is it going to take someone being killed before they do something about this. I'm having to depend on rides from friends to get to and from work, to get to the grocery store, to pick up my children. My extended warranty will cover 2 days of a rental. Ford says they can't offer me a loaner vehicle. Please make them do something about this...

- Lake Charles,, LA, USA

Jul 052013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving 55mph and the Escape suddenly lost power, decelerating and coming to a stop. The powertrain light came on and the vehicle had a difficult time turning over. The vehicle was taken to a dealership where nothing was found. The incident then occurred again a week later at the same speed. This time the check engine light and oil pressure light came on as well. The vehicle would only start in neutral and then it was taken to the stop. This time it was determined that the throttle body sensor needed to be replaced.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

May 052012

Escape 4-cyl

While engine is underload reproduced by pressing both gas and brakes simultaneously; at acceleration and between 30-40 mph the engine makes an audible thumping noise. Ford has been unable to correct this problem and calls it normal. They indicated I should drive more aggressively (faster and forcing the engine to shift gears) in order to avoid this condition. This is dangerous and irresponsible advice that may lead to an accident. The condition may lead to engine failure.

- Dorado, PR, USA

Jul 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Pulled into traffic on a busy 4 lane freeway and as I reached 50 mph and all throttle control disappeared and car was only steerable but no acceleration as I tried to work the car off to the side creating a hazardous situation. The engine was still running roughly but with no gas petal response. I turned off the car, re-tried starting and then no signs of problems, took to dealer and found faulty throttle body, a national back order from Ford indicating that this is happening all over the country, and will not be covered by warranty, far short of what would be expected of a throttle body, and creating a dangerous safety issue.

- Orange Beach , AL, USA

Nov 132012

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle body failure. From Nov 2012 until July 2013 my Ford Escape has been bucking and surging at low speeds with no throttle response. Occasionally, the vehicle would die completely unresponsive in the middle of an intersection. On July 11, 2013, my wife took our 2010 Ford Escape to ernest mccarty Ford in alabaster, al. They told us that the throttle body assembly would need to be replaced. This issue is very dangerous and should Ford should issue a recall.

- Helena, AL, USA

May 202013

Escape 4-cyl

First it started with the engine light coming on. I had the codes read at a local auto parts store and they saw it was an "evap censor" and stated this is usually associated with a gas cap leaking. Well, the Escape we have doesn't have a gas cap!!! it's one of those "quick fuel, nascar type systems", where there is just a plug that retracts when you insert the gas nozzle and retracts when you're finished? secondly, the surging started happening while stopped at red lights. I would slide the gear into neutral, which would keep the vehicle from lunging, but you could still see the RPM's revving up and down. This issue went on for about two months. Thirdly, it is now stalling while driving 50 - 60 mph down the highway. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it happens, it just totally shuts down the engine!!! very dangerous.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 192013

Escape

As I accelerate from a stop position such as a stop sign, traffic light or accelerate trying to go up an incline or bridge the car loses all power. The engine still runs and the power steering still works but as you try and press down on the pedal to accelerate nothing happens. Eventually the car stops and begins to sputter. I turn off the car and then start it up. The car works fine for a few miles but the situation happens again.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Jul 082013

Escape

Driving on highway at 50mph and car stopped accelerating. Was able to get to repair shop and told it was throttle body. Was not able to drive it home, D/T unexpected accelerations and slow downs.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Jun 272012

Escape 6-cyl

While my wife was driving within city limits the car suddenly would not accelerate and simply stopped. She was able to drive it to a dealer because she was able to pull over to the side of the road and turn the car off and on again. It would work for a few miles at most and stop again. Very dangerous problem. This problem first happened in may, but we took it to a mechanic and he told us it was likely the electronic throttle body, but it was functioning at the time we took it in. Finally on June 27, the car was simply not operating. We were told this problem was not a power train function and therefore not covered by warranty. We have read about many other people experiencing the same problem. We are grateful that she was not on the highway at the time. Please investigate this problem!

- Westlake, OH, USA

Jun 042013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down a boulevard in new orleans a month ago, and suddenly I lost power. The engine was on, but it would not take any gas, so I glided to a stop next to the curb. A light on the dash shaped like a wrench came on. I looked in my owner's manual and discovered the light meant that I had a problem with the power train or throttle and that I should take the car to the dealer as soon as possible. I put the car in park and turned the key off. The engine started again, and I drove it home. The next day the same thing happened twice on the way to veterans' Ford in metairie. I left the car with them for four hours, but they could find no problem. This stalling continued to happen two or three times a week. Last Saturday it happened while I was driving up an overpass on elysian fields, and there was no place to pull off. I stopped the car on the grade as cars stacked up behind me. On Monday, I took my wife to a doctor's appointment and ran some errands, and my Escape stalled four times in twenty-five miles. Yesterday when the same thing happened, the engine-shaped light on the dash came on in addition to the "wrench" light. So today I took it in to veterans' Ford again and left it. I called this afternoon and was told that the "throttle body" had to be replaced but they didn't have one in stock, so I am going to have to pick the car up tomorrow and drive it--sparingly and cautiously--until they receive the part. A few minutes ago I looked up "Ford Escape throttle body" to find out how much one would cost and discovered that an NHTSA investigation has been underway since March. My Escape is more than three years old, but I have a 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty on the power train, which may include the throttle body. The clerk at veterans' Ford did not know if the warranty applied.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 252013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on a back road, our Escape started to hesitate. When I tried to accelerate the car did not respond. I then tried to pull off the road and that's when the car started to shudder. I was able to get the car over on the shoulder of the road and turn it off.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Jul 072013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact stated the vehicle did not lose electrical power just power to the engine. The contact had to pull over and restart the vehicle however, the failure recurred. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer stated that the throttle body assembly malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The dealer did not replace the throttle body assembly. The failure mileage was 44,600.

- Laconia, NH, USA