2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 20 of 28)

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle began sputtering and then would not accelerate and would barely move when pushing the gas pedal. It was diagnosed initially as the throttle actuator stuck open. It was cleaned. I drove it and less than 24 hours later it lost acceleration on a major highway at a traveling speed of 65 mph. I had to pull over 3 times and restart it to get it to a car repair place. I ended up having to have it towed to a Ford dealership where they replaced the throttle actuator motor. The diagnostic code was P2111. I asked for the old part and it did not look worn or damaged. The repeated loss of acceleration on a major highway during morning rush hour created a great risk to my safety and those of the other motorists around me. The service man at the Ford dealership advised me they were seeing a number of similar situations involving this part with Ford Escapes. The total cost for both service visit was $465.

- Garner, NC, USA

Jul 022013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving South on highway at 60 miles per hour I heard engine noise and car slowed down to a stop I started it again about 50 feet it did same again I took it to where I bought it and they said throttle body and it was on backorder and would be 10 days to get part never said a word to me about this being a problem with these cars this is a very serious safety issue I was driving in heavy traffic and my car just slows to a stop.

- Polk City, FL, USA

Escape 4-cyl

At 45mph the vehicle lost complete throttle and went into low idle. (no gas pedal) luckily the first time I was able to put it into neutral and turn it off and start it back up and it reset itself. On 7/2/13 it happen two more times but at a speed of about 20-25mph. Had a harder time starting back up. It turned over but would not crank. This is not good for any driver to loose your gas pedal!!!!

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jun 232013

Escape 6-cyl

When driving to the grocery store on Sunday, June 23, my boyfriend and I pulled up to a stop sign and then attempted to accelerate to cross 4 lanes of traffic. The car bucked and would not accelerate. Then the gas pedal began to shake. We had to roll across the street and shut the car off for a few minutes. The car turned over twice and then finally started up. The second incident happened on Thursday, June 27. My boyfriend and I were on our way home and pulled up to a stop sign. Again, pushing on the gas pedal would not cause the car to accelerate. We had to roll across the intersection and turn the car off. The car turned over about 3 or 4 times and then started. We took the car into a local Ford dealership on Tuesday, July 2, and were told after a few hours of waiting, that the car has a throttle body issue. The dealer told us the part costs $399 and the labor would be $100. We had to pay $244.05 up front and we were told that the part is on backorder and will take approximately 1 month to come in. My car also has low enough mileage (29,400) that it still has a 5 year powertrain warranty (which covered the engine) but were told that warranty doesn't cover the throttle body. So now, we are out $244 (it will be at least $500 once the part comes in) and don't have the use of our car (we are a one car family) with no relatives, etc. Close by to borrow a car from.

- Portland, OR, USA

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway going in a steady 55 miles per hour. I wanted to increase the speed but no gain in speed. Pressing the acceleration paddle speed is still dropping fast. I turned the car off and than restarted the car. After about 10 miles same thing happened again, but this time the check engine light went on. I never received any warning before that, that there was something so wrong with my car. I wish it would have given me some warning ahead of time. The Ford service department had to replace the throttle body. Lucky us, we did not get hurt. Very dangerous and very scary for passengers and cars passing.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jun 252013

Escape

Drove about an hour away from home, mostly highway. When I got into the city towards the end of the trip, the wrench light came on and the car stopped accelerating. I pulled over and restarted the car and was able to go a few hundred feet before I lost acceleration again. This time the check engine light came on. I pulled over, waited about 10 minutes, restarted the car, and was able to drive the rest of the way (less than a mile). The car was towed to the nearest dealer where it was determined the throttle body needed to be replaced. I am currently on a long waiting list for parts.

- Pitman, NJ, USA

Jun 152013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the throttle body would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Midland Park, NJ, USA

Jun 292013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving in the middle lane of heavy traffic, my vehicle suddenly became unresponsive. Even though I had my foot on the accelerator, the vehicle would not accelerate and the engine started sputtering. The wrench light came on. I had to coast to the right lane in front of on-coming traffic to get off the road and to safety.the approaching vehicle had to slam on his breaks and narrowly missed colliding with me. If the vehicle had been any closer or if I would have been on the interstate, I would have had a serious crash with someone being badly injured or killed. This is a very serious problem. I just read about another 2010 Ford Escape owner that the same thing happened to them four times and they could not fix the problem. I am afraid of driving this vehicle again and I believe Ford is aware of this happening should be held responsible to investigate and correct this problem before people are killed.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jul 022013

Escape

Traveling approx 25mph vehicle became unresponsive to gas pedal. Car coasted to side of road (no shoulder on blind curve). Car began to buck and jerk. Wrench light came on.turned off ignition, waited approx 30 seconds and restarted car. No further issue. Extremely dangerous situation. Scared to drive.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Jun 302013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle lost power while driving. The wrench light came on and the the car died. The check engine light came on and it was showing code P2111 for the throttle body.

- Houston, TX, USA

Escape 6-cyl

While pressing the accelerator the car shuts off and comes to a slow stop. Your are not able to accelerate. The wrench light comes on first. I stop the car, turn it off, wait about 10sec and turn the car back on. It starts fine. I travel about 6 miles and the car stops again, this time jerking back and forth a little and then the check engine light comes on. I stop the car and follow the same steps on turning it back on. I am still able to break and steer off of roads. However, not with much time before it completely stops. I took it to advanced auto parts and got the vehicle diagnosed. The code was P2112/throttle actuator per the representative. This is highly dangerous when traveling on the highway or any busy roadway during rush hour traffic everyday to and from work.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jun 202013

Escape 6-cyl

On multiple occasions my 2010 Ford Escape has stalled. The first couple of times it would turn off while I was at a red light or at a stop sign, it then started turning off while I was in active driving. Multiple times while I was on the highway. The vehicle diagnosis resulted defects with the throttle body particularly part 9E926 - body asy-air charge. The warranty documentation states the part is not a covered repaired in my state however it is covered in California up to 7 years or 70,000 miles. The part required is currently on national backorder.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 152012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving from Mississippi to Kansas. Had the vehicle set on cruise control and it just quit. Startingslowing down and I could not accelerate using the gas pedal. I had to pull over and shut off the vehicle for a few minutes. It clicked several times before finally turning over. It never did it again until recently and now it does it repeatedly with no indicator(s). There is no way a vehicle that is only three years old should gave a major functioning paft malfunction like that. And definitely not for the price we pay for a vehicle. Its going to cause an accident (if it hasnt already) suddenly losing power like that in a high traffic area and at any speed is dangerous.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jun 122013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving home wed June 12, turned a corner (going approx 5-10mph) and the car just turned off. Pulled over and waited a minute then it started right up; drove it home (approx 3/4 mile) and it just "died" again in my driveway. Next morning I was taking it in to the shop to see what the problem could be and as I drove up the entrance, vehicle again just died! (had it checked, nothing found) approx 3 weeks later, June 27, I was going down the freeway approx 65mph getting ready to exit and the car completely went dead (fortunately I could pull over so I did not get hit). I stopped put it in park, waited a minute and then it started right up again. Took it to the Ford dealer the following morning, June 28, and was told it needed a new electronic throttle body which is on back order 3-4 weeks! I was also advised that the car was really too dangerous to drive so they recommended that I try not to drive it till the part comes in!! good if you have 2 vehicles!!

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

Leaving home check engine light and throttle lights came on and the vehicle was jerking and would allow me to give it any gas.

- Antioch, TN, USA

May 222013

Escape 6-cyl

I will be driving along and the engine acts as if it didn't get enough gas and air mixture so it kicks out of shifting and just slows down then it starts hopping. It gives me a symbol on the dashboard of a wrench. I looked it up and it says it the throttle body. I had a mechanic come with his handheld computer and read the code and it says throttle aviator stuck open, then he erases the computer code nd I am able to drive until the next tome it happens. Which it has happen everyday now since June 12th. Ford has said that the part is being revamped and not sure when it will be available. My mechanic said that he has replaced many of these. Why has it not been recalled? I have loses income because I do not want to be out on the road and have this happen when I'm on the highway with a semi behind me, then they will have a law suit to deal with.

- Jupiter , FL, USA

Jun 182013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving in town and vehicle would not accelerate. Turned off engine and restarted. Vehicle ran fine for only a few blocks and had to restart again. Next day the vehicle would only go about 1 block before we had to restart it. It needs a new electronic throttle body and no parts are available. There is a national backorder per Ford parts department.

- Pampa, TX, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

We where traveling northbound on I675 traveling at 70 mph when the vehicle started to lose speed went into limp mold.

- Englewood, OH, USA

Jun 012013

No throttle response.

- Hamilton , NJ, USA

Jun 152013

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and could not be restated. The check engine and the power train warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The failure was reported to the manufacturer and they stated that the part was on back order. The failure and current mileage was 43,000. The consumer stated while driving, she suddenly felt the vehicle loose power even though she was pressing on the accelerator. The wrench and engine light illuminated on the dash.

- Houston , TX, USA