2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 28)

Aug 012012

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the throttle body had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 59,000.

- Shardon, OH, USA

Dec 112013

Escape

I was driving South on hwy 53, doing 55 mph when the car jumped out of gear. The engine was still running at idlespeed, but when I depressed the gas pedal nothing happened. Also the wrench light and the engine light where both on. I had to pull off the side of the road to avoid traffic and shut off the engine. I waited a minute and it started right back up with only the engine light on. This was the 5th time this happened in 2 days and was the same each time. I drove straight to the dealer where I had bought it and they did a check and retrieved P2111 in koec, then performed etb internal ids pinpoint test. Etb or throttle body failed test. They replaced the throttle body and motor asy, which is a known problem, and charged me $432.65. I believe Ford should have replaced this at no cost, since this is a known problem.

- Elkmont, AL, USA

Dec 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving to work and car stalled. Hit the gas and nothing happened. Pulled over on shoulder, turned car off, and restarted. Immediately took car to dealership and fuel throttle body malfunction was diagnosed as the cause. Can I get a refund, as this seems to be a common problem?

- Waco, TX, USA

Dec 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on four lane road when lost engine power to idle. Accelerator pedal non-responsive. Drove vehicle four miles back to home. Had to restart engine seven times to return home. Plugged in code reader, it stated the throttle body actuator sticking closed.

- Connellsville , PA, USA

Oct 112013

Escape 6-cyl

Occassionally, when the vehicle accelerates, usually between 0-50 mph, the gas pedal locks, the engine stalls, and the check engine light appears. The vehicle must then be placed into park and turned off. When turned back on, the check engine light disappears and the vehicle functions normally. This has occurred three times in three months, once while merging onto a highway and twice while accelerating from a stop. Ford service explained this could be due to a failed throttle body part.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Sep 042013

Escape

I will be driving and my vehicle will not go when I press the gas pedal. I will lose all acceleration and it will then begin to jolt and shake until I turn it off. Sometimes it will start right back up sometimes I will have to wait a few minutes. There is no warning, it has done it when I'm going slow and it's done it when I am on interstate going 65mph, it has done it when I'm stopped and try to go. I almost got rear ended a few times because of this problem. I've spoken with many mechanics and they have all told me the throttle body, which will cost between 400-600 dollars to fix.

- Wautoma, WI, USA

Apr 152013

Escape

While driving on 270 in gaithersburg Maryland, my Ford Escape stalled. This was the third time my vehicle stalled. The previous times it was on shady grove road. Thankfully, when I was driving on 270 I was able to pull off the road to the shoulder without incident. I took my car to Ford sheehy in gaithersburg right away and I had to rent a car until my vehicle was fixed. The mechanic said they had to replace the throttle body, which was defective. I paid $527.67. Four months later the check engine light came on. I took it back to Ford sheehy. This time it was the purge valve. I had to pay $557.79 so within the space of four months I had over $1,000 in repairs on a vehicle that I barely drive. When I go out of town, I rent a car instead of driving my Ford Escape, because I don't feel safe driving long distances. After complaining to Ford through email, they denied there was a throttle body problem and the customer service representative told me they don't know anything about a throttle body problem.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Dec 022013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving vehicle it will rev high and then stall while in traffic. Starts back up fine and then immediately stalls out again. This has happened three different times in the past 3 weeks.

- Winder, GA, USA

Nov 282013

Escape

Driving on freeway, at about 65mph, when all of the sudden the engine stalled and power was cut dramatically from the engine. Unable to control speed and instantly started stopping. Had to pull over sharply and unsafely on the side of an on-ramp narrowly having car behind us miss us. Turned off vehicle and had to wait about 20 seconds before restarting the car. It then worked ok. Happened several times on one trip of about 20 miles. Took to a dealer and they diagnosed it as the throttle body needing to be replaced.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Sep 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down road at 55mph, suddenly the gas pedal was unresponsive (no power). Pulled to the side of road, shut car down and waited approx. 5 min. Then restarted car. Ran ok. Since then this has been a recurring event. Recently stalled on railroad tracks as my wife was driving to work. Would like to see Ford step up and recall before someone losses their life in an accident. This is a fairly expensive repair, approx. $650 from what we've read on line. Seems to be happening with more frequency since first occurrence.

- South Bend , IN, USA

Nov 252013

Escape 4-cyl

Our 2010 Ford Escape has had the exact problem described in the NHTSA case number PE 13003. Our vehicle has 43,000 miles on it and driving to work on a fast moving city street at approx 45-50 mph and the car lost all throttle control and went into the described "limp mode", no warning or check engine lights came on. We had a very difficult time controlling the car and getting it off the road while trying to Dodge traffic. Limp mode does not describe the available power. At 900 RPM you can walk faster than the car will drive... the transmission is also acting as an engine brake and slowing the car even faster so I popped it into neutral and was able to coast to the side of the road. We turned off the ignition and restarted and the car started fine. Put it in gear and accelerated to approx 20 mph and it went into limp mode again and this time the small wrench light came on in the dash. A gearbox or transmission problem? luckily we were still on the side of the road so we again turned off the car and restarted to reset (wrench light went out) and it worked fine for the next 14 miles as we were going to the Ford dealer. Just as we were arriving it did it a third time, this time the check engine light came on and they were able to retrieve the dtc code of 2112 and diagnosed a defective throttle body assembly. The service manager was not aware of any recall and charged us $589 dollars for the repair (part, labor, diagnostic test and calibration of the computer). We have been the only owners of this car and it has had all of its normal service done. At 43K miles it is, for all purposes, still a new car. Lucky for us it happened on city streets and not at highway speeds. Hopefully Ford will issues a recall on these to repair them.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 192013

Escape 6-cyl

I had just stopped at a stop sign. When I accelerated to go forward, the car died. I pushed it to the side of the road and waited a few minutes. The car started right up. Quite frightening. I was fortunate there was minimal traffic on the road when it died.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Nov 062013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling at a relatively low traveling speed the vehicle seems to lose power and I can no longer accelerate. The tool light/check engine light will come on and I can coast to a stop. Once I stop the vehicle I turn it off. When I restart the vehicle it hesitates for approx 6 seconds and then turns over/restarts with no further problems. This has occurred four times since 11/6/13.

- Bayside, NY, USA

Nov 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the road at about 45mph, the car stopped acknowledging that I was pushing the gas pedal. The car steadily slowed down, regardless of how much I pushed on the gas pedal. I ended up veering off into a parking lot and shutting the car off. I waited about 5 minutes and restarted it. It acted normal and I resumed my driving. It has happened about 5 times since then as well. Thankfully I haven't been on the highway and have had a place to pull off the road.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 022013

Escape 4-cyl

The first occurrence I was driving in normal conditions at 40 mph and the engine lost power completely and a small wrench lit up on the dashboard. I pulled over safely and shut the engine down, waited a minute and the engine started right up. The same thing began happening at least once a day. In traffic, on the highway. This problem has almost caused serious accidents. I called the dealer and they said they have no idea what it could be. I looked the problem up and there are numerous complaints. There should be a recall before someone gets seriously hurt!

- Clermont, FL, USA

Nov 092013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle would not accelerate. The wrench warning icon illuminated. The contact shut the engine off and was able to restart the vehicle without failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the throttle body would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Nov 192013

Escape

I have a 2010 Ford Escape. While driving home last night (11/19/2013) my car basically died while I was in motion. I applied pressure to the gas petal and nothing happened. The rpms bounced around and the wrench light came on. I was able to coast to safety. I put the car in park and engaged my emergency flashers. I took the key out of the ignition and waited a minute. After starting the car again, everything was ok. The problem again happened not 12 hours later in the morning (11/20/2013) while driving to work. I hate to think of what could of happened had my two young children been in the car with me and this happened on the highway. My car is at the shop currently getting repaired, however, I am not stuck with a payment that is a know issue and potential safety problem.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Nov 152013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and took it to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was scheduled for repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Woodbury, NJ, USA

Nov 152013

Escape 4-cyl

At night, while stopped on red traffic light waiting for change to green, the vehicle stalls an shut off. Did not start right over until a while. All dashboard panel lights were on. After 45 minutes tried to start it and it just move very, very slow and did not accelerate until it died again a 100 feet farther. We call road assistance to take us home in a towing truck. At the other day we call the towing truck again to take the SUV to the dealer since it was in warranty, when we start it before leaving it was working fine. The service tech at Ford tell us that probably it is the throttle body since other people has been having the same issue. They test it and they say that nothing is wrong... my warranty is about to expire and I think that they are playing us to take the unit home and when it happen again charge us for the cost of the part... $$$$ very expensive!!! this is a hazardous issue since it can happen while driving it can cause an accident or lost of life.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Nov 122013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving down highway in evening heavy traffic with cruise control set at 60mph, when all acceleration cut off. Cars behind me had to hit their brakes just not to crash into me. This was extremely dangerous situation. I hit the gas peddle, both the engine did not accelerate and I had to pull over to the right and put my 2010 Ford Escape into park, at which point the engine was shaking violently and the wrench light was on. Shut off engine, waited 1-2 mins and restarted engine. Chuckled at the beginning, but then ran normally, pulled onto highway again and drove home. I was to anxious to try the cruise control again. Drove home and researched the problem on line. Found thousands of ppl describing on different web sites the exact same story.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA