2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 13 of 16)

Jun 082013

I was cruising at highway speeds when the car began slowing despite no change in gas pedal pressure. Additional gas did not result in the car maintaining speed or speeding up. I coasted to the side of the highway and turned the car off. I restarted the car and was able to accelerate to highway speeds. About a mile later, the same thing happened. I called a tow truck and the car was taken to a local Ford dealer. The mechanic informed me that the problem is a bad throttle body and that a number of Ford have the problem but there is no recall. It is such a problem that a replacement part is on back-ordered and the dealer is unable to tell me when it will be in so that the car can be made safe to operate. The potential safety issue of a failure while driving, and the widespread nature of the problem suggest Ford should be more proactively addressing this and recalling cars like mine before incidents arise while operating the vehicle.

- Bowling Green, OH, USA

Jun 032013

I was driving down the street and lost power. The throttle wasn't working properly. Took the Escape to Ford where other similar vehicles have same problem with throttle body. I have been waiting on the part for over a week and Ford says there is no recall or warranty for this although it's happening to so many people. I'm having to rent a car this whole time waiting.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 242013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on highway, heard a little pop and had sudden loss of power from depressed accelerator, but engine was on - no warning light on dash. Was going on downward incline, able to go from left lane to shoulder on right; engine shook violently then and I turned it off. Waited a minutes, turned back on; idling had a little "miss" but able to finish trip. Upon return home, took vehicle to mechanic, found no historic code in computer and nothing found on test drive. On 6/07, again on highway and without warning, car again lost power from accelerator - immediate loss of momentum almost caused me to be broadsided by large SUV merging from off ramp as I am trying to coast to the shoulder. Same thing, engine shook, I turned it off; again no warning light. Occurred two more times and we turned around for home. Same thing happened two more times on the return trip - the yellow wrench warning light came on the last two times. Very hazardous condition, I plan to not drive and take to the dealer as soon as I can. I see there is a known issue with the throttle body and feel a recall should be implemented, especially since the condition suddenly puts a driver in a very dangerous position and I will have to pay for a known design / device problem to be repaired.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

May 312013

Escape 6-cyl

Bought 2010 Ford Escape limited in December. Purchased a $2000 extended bumper to bumper from easy care. Put about 1200 miles on the vehicle before it started turning off at random. First time it happened was at an intersection where I lost throttle response totally and almost got T boned by a coal truck. It did it 5 more times as I was just trying to get it home. Took it to freedom Ford in ebensburg pa for warranty work and they found a faulty throttle body. The dealer and my warranty company refused to pay anything for the repair and the part is back ordered until July 16th. Now I am paying almost $400 a month for a Ford Escape with only 31000 miles that I don't have. And it will be sitting at the dealer for 6 more weeks.

- Ebensburg, PA, USA

Jun 072013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving from the bank to home and all of the sudden I had no power. I stepped on the gas and nothing happened. I had to ease over to the right lane with no power and when I got to the side of the road I shut off the engine and then I restarted it. My Escape then ran fine the rest of the way home. I called the dealership and brought my Escape into the service department. They said I need a new throttle box and that they are on back order. My car is only 3 years old. I bought it brand new. There is no reason for something like this to happen. Since the part is on back order I have to drive it like this until the part is available. The dealership told me it will be at least 1 week, probably longer. If my car dies in an intersection or while crossing an intersection, or on a freeway, I could have an accident. This is very frightening. I have to drive it, it's the only car I own. I avoided the freeway to and from the dealership because I know the side roads to get there. I won't be able to do that all the time. Please recall this part. Considering the part is on back order and they have no idea how long it will take to get a new one that tells me I am not the only one having this problem. This is a safety concern for all. If a car stalls in the middle of rush hour traffic on the freeway it is endangering many lives besides mine.

- Spring Lake Park, MN, USA

May 222013

Engine just goes to idle. You have to stop and put car in park to restart. There is no warring as to when the engine will cut out. This has happened at least 12 to 15 time over the last two weeks.

- Apopka, FL, USA

May 162013

While driving at approx 45mph, vehicle started to decrease in speed. Pressing the gas pedal the rpms continued to decrease and car slowed to a stop without stalling. Vehicle began sputtering and "wrench" light appeared on dash.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Jun 042013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway when the motor in the Escape just died, I was forced to move from the left lane of the highway to the right with almost no power. No accident occurred I took the truck to the Ford dealership and they say that part is on national backorder Ford is making 4000 of the throttle bodies in order to keep with the demand.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jun 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine lost power and coasted to side of road. Towed to dealer, keyser miller Ford, 8 East main St., collegeville, pa 19426. They stated the problem was the "throttle body", and it needed to be replaced. They said it was a common problem with the Escapes. Parts next to impossible to obtain.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Jun 012013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on highway 24, my vehicle had spontaneously lost power as I was pressing on the gas pedal. As I safety steered my vehicle to a place on the side of the highway, the service light then the check engine light came on. Once stop, I turned the engine off; waited a few minutes they started it back up. The engine was on, the dash indicator lights were still one, but no power was transferring from the engine to the transmission as I pressed down on the gas pedal. The RPM gauge also showed little to no change while I was applying more gas. After I had the vehicle towed back to the Ford dealership, they were quick to identify the problem being the throttle body. The part was covered under my warranty only after I paid the $100 deductible. My vehicle was well maintained; having all scheduled maintenance done by Ford dealership/service centers within the required intervals, and has only 44,800 miles on it.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

May 292013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost throttle response, would not accelerate. Had no prior warning/symptoms. Check engine light (wrench) came on. Pulled off to side of road, had to shut of and restart. Throttle response returned. Same incident happened the next day at approximately same speed. Pulled off road, shut off and restarted. Brought vehicle to dealer/repair shop and they replaced the throttle body assembly.

- Lee, NH, USA

Apr 252013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on freeway at speed and vehicle fuel system seemed to shut off causing vehicle to stall and shutter. I was barely able to exit freeway without incident. Shut engine off and restarted and vehicle finally resumed normal operation, at which time I drove directly to dealer for inspection, but they were in process of closing for the day and vehicle had resumed proper operation by then and dealer felt the vehicle would not be damaged to continue on trip if we wished. This incident occurred 2 more times before returning home. When home, check engine light came on and took vehicle to mechanic for inspection and it was diagnosed with a faulty throttle body which as of 5/30/13 are unavailable due to national back order. Evidently lots of Escapes seem to have this problem. I am currently on list for the part in question. Vehicle is out of warranty by 1 month but not by mileage.

- Tyler, TX, USA

May 272013

Escape 6-cyl

At the initial failure, while traveling on manchester road the vehicle stalled and I had to pull to the side of the road. A week later at the second failure while standing at a stop light the vehicle stalled and I had to restart the vehicle.

- Manchester, MO, USA

May 302013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving in traffic at 60 mph and the power went out. The car just coasted. Steering continued to work. I pulled over to the median, put the car in park and restarted the car. The car started back up and worked fine after that.

- Nashville, TN, USA

May 282013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle started stalling while approaching a traffic light and continued to stall to where eventually the gas pedal was non-operational. The car was taken to a Ford dealership and a mechanic diagnosed that the throttle body was not operating properly and needed to be replaced. Ford staff indicated the part is not covered under the power train warranty and the replacement part would have to be paid out of pocket at the owner's expense.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 062013

Escape 6-cyl

When driving the car, the gas pedal becomes useless and no longer accelerates the car. The engine is still on and all power is on in the car but you can't accelerate at all. Very dangerous on the expressways as the car can just die and if you can't get over to the emergency lane.... you have to pull the car over, turn off and restart. Seems to work for a while after that. Has done this at different speeds, and several different times. My wife has had a few close calls with almost being rear ended due to this issue. Ford knows about it but doesn't seem to have "enough" complaints to fix the issue...

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 252013

Driving along down the driveway and the car went into slow mode. Non-responsive to gas pedal, engine sputtering. Happened to my wife earlier this week on the way to work. She pulled over, turned off the engine and restarted. Drove fine then so she brought it home and switched cars. Engine wrench light comes on but after restart disappears. Hooked up to my obd scanner and it showed P2111 code.

- Waynesville, OH, USA

May 232013

Going about 45 mph when all of a sudden the car started to coast, there was no warning light. I pushed the gas pedal to the floor and it was as though the car was not getting any fuel to the engine there was no acceleration. I coasted to a stop turned off the engine waited a few minutes turned the car on it seemed fine so I finished my errand. On the way home I was going approx. 50mph on the local highway and the same thing happened. Took my car to a local Ford dealer (I thought it was still under warranty) they said it would cost $900 to clean the throttle body as recommended by Ford but they were not sure it would fix the problem. The throttle body part was on back order and they were not sure when they could get one. So now I have a car I am afraid to drive.

- Gulf Breeze , FL, USA

May 132013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving 65 mph on interstate highway at 7:30 a.M. on May 13. Suddenly, there was no longer power. The vehicle would only idle, not accelerate. The wrench light came on. After towing to the local Ford dealer, I was informed that the vehicle would require a new throttle body.

- Tea, SD, USA

May 202013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling 60mph, car suddenly stalled on the highway. Gas paddle did not respond. Engine light & wrench light was lit. Stopped the vehicle completely & turn the engine off. Waited couple of mins and start again. No wrench light but engine light goes off. Now this happens every day.

- Houston, TX, USA