2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 15 of 16)

Mar 192013

Escape 6-cyl

2010 Ford Escape XLT (V6) is having repeated incidents (at random intervals) of throttle failures. Vehicle suddenly has no "gas pedal", idles roughly (800 to 1000 RPM) and has to be coasted to side of road. Only way to reset is to put vehicle in park and turn off (dangerous on interstates or if in left lane and no place to pull off), restart and most cases the problem is eliminated for hours, days or more. Sometimes it can occur many times within a short drive period and then go away for hours of issue-free driving. Engine service light (wrench) came on one day after some extremely rough idling caused by issue (engine bucked a bit) and service station read computer analysis as "throttle actuator control system" was stuck open and closed. They told me that it was probably defective and dangerous and that I should proceed to my Ford dealer asap. I took vehicle to Ford dealer (3/20/13) and they acknowledged the throttle body should be replaced, but said no recall had been issued so I would have to pay for repair. I could not believe this for a 2 year old car. This is a huge safety issue and I would expect a manufacturer to fix this problem immediately and shocked at their nonchalance regarding this problem. I went home and googled the issue and I see many articles and agencies looking into this problem so apparently I am not the only one having this problem. I am not allowing the my family members to drive the vehicle due to this safety issue until it is repaired by Ford at their expense. This could be a major lawsuit (injury or even fatalities) due to the safety of having to "limp off" a busy roadway with no warning and becoming a target.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Feb 252013

Escape 6-cyl

On the morning of February 25th, I was pulling out of my garage when my car just stopped accelerating and the "wrench" light came on. It was barely idling, so I turned off the car and restarted it. It started normally, so I went on to work. That evening, I was driving on the interstate in the passing lane going approximately 75 mph when the car sort of lurched and then the "wrench" light came on and the car instantly started to slow down. I could not accelerate at all. I had to wait for traffic to move in the right lane, which was horribly dangerous, and then pull off the side of the road. I turned the car off and then restarted it. It took a second, but the car restarted and the wrench light was off, so I got back on the interstate again. That evening I started looking on the internet to see if anyone else had experienced this same problem, and that was when I saw that there was an investigation started by the NHTSA in regards to that very same problem occurring in several Ford vehicles. This was extremely dangerous because when it happens, I have no control over the speed anymore and I am at the mercy of the cars all around me. I could have easily caused an accident that day. Then, about a week later it happened again while I was on a busy city street going approximately 35 mph. Finally, yesterday morning, March 20th, it happened on the interstate again. The dealer says there are no error codes, but they said they think its the throttle body and that it will cost about $300 dollars to fix. This should be a recall. This investigation needs to be concluded and a recall needs to be issued before someone is killed. This is extremely dangerous since it happens at faster speeds, while on the interstate.

- Woodstock, WA, USA

Escape

For several months, my 2010 Ford Escape would stall while driving down the road. There were times that I was going 45-55mph and my vehicle would stall. I lost power steering as vehicle shut off. I had to slow down and pull off the road and re-start the vehicle. This was very dangerous and scary. This happened probably 10-15 times until I could no longer get the vehicle started. I had it towed into a Ford dealership and had their service department analyze the problem. I first took it by an advance auto to check the service engine light. The code that came up I believe was 9000. It had something to do with emission, fuel system concerns. The service department put a throttle body and motor assembly part on it. I haven't had any problems since. They also did an eec test P2111 and found etb to be at fault and replaced. I had to pay $356.52 including labor for this. I feel from reading other information on 2010 Ford Escapes that there has been a lot of issues with stalling. I feel I should be reimbursed for my expenses.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Apr 022012

Escape

Driving at 35mph, check engine light came on and SUV went into "limp home mode", slowing to only 10mph. After re-starting SUV 2-times same error appear. Took SUV to local Ford dealer tom holzer, and they said it was a failing throttle body sensor. Inquired if there was a known warranty issue and dealer confirmed no, but a service bulletin existed at customer's expense - which was not agreeable. Tom holzer service manager advise to contact Ford directly (which we did) and Ford said to contact service manager (which we did). After numerous phone calls and formal complaints we received no satisfactory resolution. Ford was blaming the local dealer, the local dealer blaming Ford, and we still had to pay $525 to replace defective throttle body sensor. (ironically our good friends have a 2010 Chevy equinox with 80,000 miles that had the same problem and their local Chevy dealer replaced their throttle body sensor and provided loaner vehicle during service procedure, both at no charge). Needless to say, we were very disappointed with the local dealer and Ford's handling of this known problem, and this will be our last Ford vehicle purchase after 30-years of dedicated Ford vehicle purchases.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Nov 072012

Escape 6-cyl

Engine loses power (does not stall out) stays running but unable to accelerate. Wrench light comes on. If shut off and restarted it will go again. Occured 3 times in one day. Occurs at any level of speed, was going 30 mph once, and on highway the other 2 times, once excelerating on highway to merge, and the last time driving normally. Throttle body and motor were replaced.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Dec 212012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving to work, going approximately 40 mph, my car experienced a sudden loss of power and acceleration. The car did not respond when I pressed the gas pedal, and the engine was sputtering and the car would barely move forward. Luckily I was able to pull into a parking lot and shut the car off. I had the car towed to a Ford dealer, and was informed that the problem was the electronic throttle body. I soon found out that my third party warranty did not cover this part. The dealer stated that the warranty doesn't cover the part because they know it is going to malfunction in almost every Ford Escape. So I had to pay over $300 out of pocket to get a part fixed that the dealer knew was going to break! this is ridiculous!

- Germantown, MD, USA

Feb 122013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the road at night, going 40 mph on a street when suddenly my car decelerating without warning and came to a stop on the side of a busy street. The engine light came on however, I was not able to get it to move. I had the tow company come get me and dropped it off at the Ford dealership. It appears that the throttle body went out while I was driving. Normally I wouldn't report this, but it seems to be a common dangerous event with the Ford Escape.

- Newbury Park, CA, USA

Dec 042012

Escape

The car lost engine power unexpectedly while under way. Pressing the gas pedal made no difference, and the car would not coast - it lost speed rapidly. Upon turning the car off and waiting a few minutes, the car would restart and operate normally. Sometimes it would operate for normally for the entirety of the trip, other times the car would exhibit the problem again.

- Roslindale, MA, USA

Jan 202013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving there was a sudden loss of power. The wrench icon lit up on the dash display & the engine light came on too. There was no response from the gas pedal at all. The engine stayed on & all other features of the vehicle worked. I shut the car off & restarted the vehicle & continued driving. This occurred 4 times within a half hour. It was a miracle that I was not involved in an auto accident. I brought the vehicle back to a Ford dealer where they replaced the throttle body. Vehicle has been operating fine ever since & the gas pedal is more responsive than it was before. The original bumper to bumper warranty expired less than 2 months ago & I had to pay for this repair. I am very unhappy.

- Paramus, NJ, USA

Dec 232012

Escape 6-cyl

With no warning, I was unable to accelerate. Car went into limp mode. I was able to pull over safely. I am thankful I wasn't traveling at a higher rate of speed or traveling on the freeway; this would have been incredibly dangerous. Diagnostic lights on dash indicated something with throttle. Was able to get car home - very difficult. Had to have it towed. Very expensive car repair, $208 part (throttle body) and $190 labor.

- Cedarburg, WI, USA

Dec 312012

Escape 6-cyl

Defective throttle body the 2010 Ford Escape not once but multiple times would go to idle and run rough while traveling on different roads at different speeds. The gas pedal would do nothing to make the car go but it was idling rough and coasting causing us to stop on the side of very dangerous roads. We would turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes and then it would start normal. The gas pedal would work again but repeat the same problem 5 to 10 minutes later. We were certainly glad this did not happen on the interstate in front of an 18 wheeler or we would be dead. The dealership said the throttle body is bad. The car is only 2,000 miles out of warranty from the standard bumper to bumper warranty, the extended powertrain warranty does not cover the part. So we are out almost $400 for a part that should never fail to begin with.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 082012

Escape 6-cyl

Serious and life-threatening malfunction impeded my ability to control my 2010 Escape occurred while driving 50mph on a very busy highway. My Escape stalled suddenly without any warning what so ever in the middle of the lane while driving on the busy highway. As I tried to continue driving, pushing the throttle pedal, the Escape would not go, it slowed down suddenly on it's own. I was able to ease off the payment to the side of the lane; however, I was almost hit in the rear by a auto behind me before I could get off the payment. I was fortunate to have been at a place where I could ease off the payment. The highway is curvy and hilly. This scared me to death. A wrench light came on indicating a malfunction of the throttle/powertrain. The engine was running fine. I turned off the engine and waited a few minutes, then I cranked it and it cranked fine. The wrench light went off. I tried driving it again, and once I pulled back into the highway, giving it gas, it would barely go, so I eased back again. I called roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealership. After it was inspected I was told the electric throttle body had malfunctioned and needed replacing. It was the caused of the sudden stalling while I was driving. My life as well as others were put in a dangerous situation because of this malfunction. I understand that there has been a lot of complaints like mine already filed here. Ford should issue a recall immediately before any deaths occur. I had to pay $470 to get this taken care since my warranty was out 3/36,000. I was told that this was not covered by the powertrain 5/60,000.

- Silver Creek , GA, USA

Jun 152012

Escape 6-cyl

On June 15, 2012, the 2010 Ford Escape with 29321 miles lost power (I.e. no gas, but electronics remained on) while merging onto a crowded highway at 50 mph. An accident was barely avoided. Error lights were lit on the dashboard and the car would not restart. However, upon removing the keys from the ignition and reinserting them, the error lights turned off and the car restarted without any apparent problems. The car was immediately driven to the university Ford dealership in chapel hill, nc. The service department could not detect a problem, stated that the computer was not registering any errors, and returned the car without fixing anything. On June 27, 2012, the car (29988 miles) again lost power in the middle of an intersection while making a left turn. The car had been stopped at a traffic light and was accelerating from a stopped position. Again, an accident was barely avoided. This time, the car's computer did register an error. The service department at university Ford identified a faulty throttle body sensor (part no. 9L8Z9E926A) and replaced it with part no. Ds7Z9E926A. The service department ensured the problem would not repeat itself. On November 24, 2012, the car (roughly 34000 miles) lost power for a third time while stopped at a traffic light. Removing the keys from the ignition and replacing them allowed the car to be restarted, and the car was promptly taken to university Ford. The service department stated that no error was registered on the computer and that the car would have to be returned. The warranty policy states that no parts can be replaced if a problem is not detected.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Escape 4-cyl

Engine stalls, loss of power, random stop - obd code P2111 throttle body.

- Cape Canveral, FL, USA

Escape 4-cyl

Loss of power - vehicle stops at random - obd code P2111.

- Cape Canaveral, FL, USA

Nov 062012

Escape

While driving wrench light and engine light illuminated with sudden loss of power very dangerous. If it would have happened.5 miles later merging onto highway during rush hour could have been fatal.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 022012

Escape 6-cyl

My check engine light came on steadily out of the blue. Took it to Ford dealer and was told I needed to replace a faulty purge valve. Part number:9U5Z-9C915-H. I was told this was a common problem for Escape's and Fusion's. there were 3 Escapes today having the same part replaced. Not under warranty and $300. There is a technical service bulletin on this issue, but not a recall. Seems like a common defect could have safety repercussions since is the fuel fumes not exhausting properly.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 222012

Escape 6-cyl

I was going approximately 60 to 65 mph on the freeway and I stepped on the gas to accelerate past another vehicle when I very suddenly lost all acceleration. I had to glide across 3 lanes of heavy traffic to try to get off the road. The car idled a little rough, I turned it off and when I started it again it ran fine and the accelerator worked again. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the throttle body. This was an extremely dangerous event and should definitely be looked into.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 262012

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle began throttling while driving on the freeway. Engine light came on. As I pulled over, vehicle slowed down jumping forward. Applied brakes and still kept jumping forward. Switched gear to park and car stalled. Turned on after a few tries. Continues to jump forward and shake. After a few minutes problem went away and vehicle drove normal. Three weeks later same occurrence. This week another occurrence of the problem. Contacted sunrise Ford dealer in North hollywood, ca and was told I need to pay $150 diagnostic fee.

- Van Nuys , CA, USA

Sep 112012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on a normal road, the vehicle's wrench light (on the dash) illuminated and the vehicle became unresponsive. That is, pressing the accelerator yielded no results. This was followed by a shuddering stall-out (engine shut down) when the brakes were applied. The first attempt to restart the engine resulted in a clicking noise. The engine started without fault on the second attempt. The vehicle was driven without incident for the remainder of the day and the following two days. On the 4th day, the incident repeated. Normal vehicle operational conditions are short (10 to 15 minutes) one-way trips. Ford technicians found the throttle body was sticking in closed position. A new throttle body was installed.

- Prattville, AL, USA