2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 16)

Oct 212013

I was accelerating into traffic when, all of a sudden, my vehicle lurched forward, began to rapidly lose speed, and would not accelerate--even with the gas pedal pushed to the floor. Simultaneously, the yellow wrench light illuminated on the lower left-hand side of the dashboard. I had to immediately cross over two lanes of traffic and pull to a side street, at which time, my car came to a complete stop. I then put the car in park and turned off the ignition. A search of my owner's manual revealed that the wrench light indicated a powertrain or throttle failure. I immediately contacted the Ford dealership and had the car towed in for inspection. I was told it was a burned out throttle body assembly as a result of a faulty vapor lock cap. A day later, the throttle body was replaced along with the faulty vapor lock component at a cost of over $700. Neither part was covered under my warranty. Interestingly, I went back through my service records and noted that in December of 2012, I stated to a local Ford service manager that my car was sluggish and would not immediately accelerate through turns. The service tech could not replicate the problem and so nothing was done aside from cleaning the throttle body and fuel system. If you are experiencing occasional "hitches" or lag times in acceleration when the gas pedal is depressed, be aware that these are hallmarks of a failing throttle body and it may be time to take your vehicle in and have the throttle body and vapor recovery system examined. It's time to issue a recall, Ford.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Oct 232013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle was traveling on the expressway when suddenly the car seemed to "stall" although it never actually stalled out, but rpms dropped to 800-1000 and would not respond to any throttle action. After turning the car off, waiting and starting again, the problem then resurfaced about a half mile later. I was again able to pull off, restart the car and continue normally. Once in a safe location (work), I was able to connect a obd-II reader to the car and found the following: P2112: Tac system stuck closed running a google search of the above error gave many many articles pointing to a throttle body issue. This issue was preceded by the car randomly stalling out (this time actual stalls). These happened at very random intervals for approx. 2-3 weeks before the expressway issue.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Oct 142013

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle body replaced on 10/16/2013. Merging onto interstate highway when sudden down shift and engine rev occurred. Car would not accelerate when needed and pulled onto safety lane.. turned engine off and restarted, same thing occurred with acceleration at 60 mph and higher. Very dangerous because car slows down dramatically and will not accelerate.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 162013

Backed out of parking space, wrench lit on dash, no throttle control, erratic idle. Have a code scanner, it read P2111. Placed in park, shut engine off and restarted, light went off. Drive 5 minutes, wrench light came on again, no throttle control, erratic idle, codes P2111, P2112. Almost got rear-ended. Again put in park and restarted, made it home. This has happened 3 times before this in the last 2 weeks. Very dangerous loosing power like that with no warning, I'm afraid to let my wife drive the vehicle, she is on the freeway more. I'm lucky to be on less traveled side roads where I can pull over to shoulder to restart vehicle. Some say its the throttle body, others the electronic gas pedal. Vehicle is out of warranty and I don't want to throw money at parts. Ford should recall this.

- New Berlin, WI, USA

Oct 152013

Escape 6-cyl

While making a left at an intersection the engine cut to idle and would not accelerate. After pulling to the side of the road the car was shut off and started again and ran ok. The car was take to the dealer the next day. We were told the throttle body was bad. I was also told they go bad a lot and they not covered by the engine warranty. Traffic was light at the time if it was heavy this could have caused an accident. There have been times in the past were the car hesitated badly from a stop.

- Garner, NC, USA

Aug 242013

Escape 6-cyl

On 8/24/13, while traveling out of state, I entered the highway, got my speed up to 70 mph, when the vehicle jolted hard and all acceleration was lost. I coasted to a stop on the side of the highway, turned the engine off, waited 30 seconds, and restarted it. It cranked hard, but started. I reentered the highway, accelerated to about 70 mph and the Escape lost acceleration again. I again coasted to a stop and repeated the above steps. The car once again started and I was able to complete my trip home, keeping my speed to around 55mph. No problems with the vehicle from 8/24/13 until 10/15/13. On 10/15/13, the vehicle was being driven around 25 mph when it lost all acceleration. By turning the vehicle off and back on, it was able to be driven to its destination. About 4 hours later, returning home, the vehicle twice more lost all acceleration while going about 25 mph. All 5 of these incidents happened in busy, high trafficked areas, and posed a real accident potential for my family.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Oct 032013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at 55 mph, car went into limp home mode, greatly reducing speed on rural highway. Code was for throttle actuator stuck closed. Dealer cleaned throttle plates only, and returned car. Next day, the same thing occurred. This time dealer replaced throttle body. This is a dangerouls situation for which I have noticed there have been complaints and an investigation. A safety recall should be ordered. A side effect in limp mode was the engine ran rough with decreased gas mileage while car was driven a few miles to dealer in limp mode.

- Ottawa, IL, USA

Oct 122013

Escape 6-cyl

Traveling on I 64 East toward richmond in the left lane at approx 70 mph in very heavy, fast moving traffic. The engine immediately begin to lose acceleration, the engine wrench icon came on, and the vehicle was rapidly slowing; depressing the accelerator had no effect. There was no left shoulder, and I had difficulty in maneuvering to the right side of the interstate due to traffic. This was quiet alarming. I called for assistance. After researching on internet for about 5 minutes, I started the car, cancelled the tow truck and continued. It appears that this is a common issue with the throttle body assembly and will become increasingly more frequent on my automobile. It is definitely a safety issue.

- Dyer, TN, USA

Jul 162013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway when my car seemed to stall out even though it is an automatic. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off. I turned it on again and it seemed fine. I continued driving and it did the same thing. I took it to my mechanic and he told me that it was a faulty throttle body and needed to be replaced.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Oct 132013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling on highway with my family, at about 65 mph there was an engine shudder, then the yellow wrench light illuminated on left side of console. Engine was now vibrating and shaky. Stepped on gas and no acceleration, although all other electrical items were running. With the forward momentum I was able to get over. Pulled over to side of highway, called roadside assistance and in the process, I shut off the vehicle. The agent on the phone asked for the mileage of vehicle and I turned the vehicle on again. The yellow wrench light was off and the vehicle seemed normal. I was able to drive to the next exit and get off the highway and safely home. The vehicle has displayed no further issues since then. This vehicle had just been in for normal service the day prior, Saturday. After doing further research online it was found this brand of vehicle had a reported problem with the throttle manifold intake.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Oct 122013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving from Virginia towards the Delaware beaches. After crossing the bay bridge in Maryland on route 50... driving in the left lane traveling 55mph, and all of a sudden I lost the ability to accelerate and began losing speed. I had to pull all the way over to the right lane losing power as each second passed. I was able to coast along the side of the road to pull off the highway. After getting to the Ford dealership.. I was told that I need a throttle body.. I'm here at the dealership now.. and the part is well over $400.. have not received the bill yet.. but my guess, with labor between $500-$600! this is ridiculous as the car is only 3 years old! please make Ford recall this part - throttle body - as it seems unfair to have such a high cost repair after 3years of owning the vehicle -- thank you for all your help! this is a safety risk -- someone could have died in this this occurred on the highway -- please do the right thing, and save future lives.. thank you!

- Arlington, VA, USA

Oct 082013

Escape 6-cyl

Surging/loss of RPM/power....defective electronic throttle body....had to be replaced....should be a recall on this part.

- Highland, IL, USA

Oct 072013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling 65 mph on the highway the vehicle suddenly lost all power and shuttered to a stop. Throttle body replaced by Ford dealer on 10/08/13.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Aug 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Cruising at 60mph. Without warning, car slows, throttle unresponsive. Engine warning light on. Car did not stall, but would not respond to throttle. Coast to side of road, dodging traffic. Put car in park, restarted and everything was normal. As of Oct 7, 2013 this has occurred five times. Code reader picks up no codes from engine PCM.

- Matlacha Isles, FL, USA

Oct 052013

Escape 6-cyl

As I pulled on to the highway the electronic throttle body malfunctioned almost causing an accident. The car lost power and the gas pedal had no effect. The check engine light and small wrench lights came on. After safely getting off the highway I shutdown the engine and when restarted all seemed fine, the warning lights were off and the gas pedal again worked. The similar event took place twice more on my short drive home, engine idle only with no ability to add power, turning the car off reset the system returning power.

- Ducktown, TN, USA

Oct 042013

Throttle body quit functioning while driving down the road. This caused the vehicle to lose power in the middle of traffic which could have been very dangerous and possibly deadly.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Aug 092013

Had my 2010 Ford Escape fixed due to a throttle body issue. The car would suddenly loose power and almost stall. This happened at all speeds. Technician was very familiar with it and said it was a common issue but Ford was not doing a recall. This very unsafe as it would happen on the highway at all speeds.

- Holbrook, MA, USA

Sep 282013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving about 55-60 when the car lost power, pulled over and the car would run at a slow idle. I shut he car off and it restarted drove about another 6 miles and it did it again. Had it repaired today, and told my 60,000 mile power train warranty does not cover this, neither does the engine. Replaced the throttle body.

- Decatur, IN, USA

Sep 262013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on northern state highway at about 55 - 60 mph when the engine started to sputter and lost power engine light came on managed to get onto side of highway without getting hit.

- Hewlett, NY, USA

Nov 052012

Escape 4-cyl

During stopping at stop lights/stop sings the engine surges back and forth like it is going to die. Now it has started to actually stall out. The stalling has also occurred on freeway driving at speeds over 40 miles per hour.

- Bella Vista, AR, USA