2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 16)

Sep 182013

Escape 6-cyl

My daughter was driving to school and she informed me that she lost all acceleration and the vehicle began to jerk forward. This happened 3 times in four days. The engine light and a "wrench" light came on. I took the vehicle to a local Ford dealer approximately 20 miles away. The vehicle lost acceleration 10 times during the trip. The gas pedal would not work and the engine would lower to idle and begin to jerk, as if it were going to stall. I had to shut the engine off and wait a few minutes before cranking again. I would make it 100 yards to 3 miles between each incident. The Ford dealer stated that the throttle body needs replacing. It is being replaced this week. Luckily I had purchased an extended warranty that covers this repair or it would be over $400.

- Edgefield, SC, USA

Apr 042013

Driving down interstate at speed limit then all of a sudden vehicle loses all throttle with pedal and will only idle. Able to pull to side of road and shut off vehicle and restart and get to destination. This happened several times before I was able to get to dealership to find out the problem. No codes but the wrench did light up on the dash and go away. Dealership replaced throttle body and said this is usually the problem. My cost $510.62......... they said to look for a recall on throttle body and I could get a refund but looking at all the complaints about this same problem looks like Ford is slow to post the recall that many consumers had to pay for out of pocket due to faulty parts.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Sep 122013

Going around a turn, the car started sputtering and would no longer accelerate. I pulled over, turned off the vehicle and then restarted it. I took my vehicle to the dealership to have it checked and was told it was a bad throttle body assembly and the part was not under warranty. I have continued driving without having the part repaired, and it has happened three more times in the past week. I will be paying for the repair, but disappointed that this is a wide spread issue with Ford and it has not been recalled.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 172013

Standard transmission vehicle. Traveling on city street at 35 mph, vehicle started losing power and engine died. Initially not able to restart, waited 4 minutes and engine started. Few minutes later at a stop, began accelerating but engine died again. After first occurrence, engine light came on and wrench light went on and off. Was able to get vehicle started and proceeded to Ford dealer. Ford dealer diagnosed problem as faulty throttle body and replaced.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Sep 192013

Escape 6-cyl

Sitting at a traffic light, when it turned green attempted to accelerate, throttle became unresponsive immediately and the powertrain system fault light came on. After turning off the ignition the car started back up with out incident and continued the drive that day. About 1 week later, had the same thing happen twice in one day and then four times the next. Of the seven total incidents, 3 of which happened in major intersections blocking flow of traffic and turned me into a safety hazard.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 142013

Car stalled in parking lot, restarted stalled again. Had towed to dealer, no codes showed. The mechanic drove car for about 100 miles no problem but said it could be throttle body they have seen that before. On 9/15/2013 was driving car and the wrench light came on and car would only move slowly. Stopped shut off car restarted but same thing. Had car towed toi same dealer and they replaced the throttle body. Luckly I was on a back road with no trafic, if this had happened on a highway the results could have been very bad.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Sep 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Defective throttle body was replaced by Ford 9/17/2013.

- Riva, MD, USA

Sep 132013

Escape 6-cyl

Just started to pull away and the accelerator just stopped. The pedal would not work, the engine continued to run but would not move. Coasted into a gas station that was right next to us and shut it off. After a restart it was fine. It has happened six times since then, sometimes when I am going down the road at 60 mph.

- Van Wert, OH, USA

Sep 112013

Escape 6-cyl

Traveling at 60 mph on the highway, vehicle suddenly lost acceleration and the yellow wrench light came on. Coasted to the side of the road and put vehicle in park. Pushed down on accelerated, but no response. Shut down vehicle. Waited a few moments. Vehicle started again. Drove directly to dealership. After two days, they were unable to diagnose a problem. That was five days ago. This evening, it happened again. Vehicle is returning to dealership along with several articles regarding Ford's throttle body issue. I have also filed a complaint with Ford on their website.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Aug 012013

It, has happen various times since August, as I drive, the engine start to either misfire or no power at all, it idle normal but as soonest I step on the accelerator start the problem, has light the check engine several times and as the mechanic scans the vehicle the only code that shows is P2111, the last time that happens, have to use a towing service because can get it moving, before I used to turn the engine off, wait several seconds and started again and the situation disappears for a few days and appears back again. Please advice.

- Toa Baja, PR, USA

Sep 132013

Escape 6-cyl

First incident Sept 13, 2013. Traveling at a speed of 55mph on highway 32 when a sensation of someone just pulling the plug on the engine fuel intake. There was no response at all when pushing the accelerator pedal. The vehicle remained idling and I was able to pull safely off the road into a nearby parking lot. I was able to maneuver it still while idling, to position the vehicle of possible towing. I had left the vehicle idling and called my local Ford dealer. They asked me if I had "cycled" through by turning the motor off and trying to restart. I told them I had not. They told me to turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes and try to start it and see if the electronic throttle body would reset itself. I did and it did reset. Second incident Sept 16, 2013. Car was parked in my driveway on slight incline. I put into reverse to exit the driveway. Once in the street I put into drive to start going forward and there was not response at the accelerator, just like the first time. I turned the car off and let it sit for a minute and restarted it. Throttle body had reset and I proceeded on my way again.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Sep 082013

Car throttle almost stalls to rough idle, sputters but cannot give it gas or rev engine wrench symbol lights up you must turn off car to restart after about 10 times and it happening every mile or so the check engine light is on and stays on even after restarting. This will happen out of nowhere while driving at any speed but idles just enough to pull over to safety ! restart and drive a mike and either just idling or accelerating it just quits going. I called taylor Ford and was told I was out of warranty but need throttle body and approx $450 ! so they too know it's an issue!

- Taylor, MI, USA

Sep 102013

Escape 4-cyl

Stopped at light. Got to 20 mph then engine shut off. Coasted 50 feet shifted to neutral restarted car shook, but got me to safety. Got towed. Error code P2112.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 102013

Escape 6-cyl

After stopping at a stop light I proceeded to accelerate through the intersection when my Ford Escape began to jerk, then seemed to die in the middle of the intersection. There was no check engine light on and after listening to the engine I realized that it was still running, but there was no gas getting to the engine when I pressed on the accelerator. I let the car roll out of the intersection, turned off the engine and restarted it. After another mile upon stopping before making a left hand turn it stopped again after gaining up to about 10 mph. I turned the engine off again and when attempting to start it cranked, but would not turn over. On my third attempt to restart the engine it turned over and the check engine light came on.

- Garland, TX, USA

Sep 062013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving approx. 40mph over a freeway overpass, the car lurched repeatedly, and slowed way down. I could not accelerate. The wrench light came on. I was able to eventually get it pulled over, turn it off and restart it. For the next day and a half, it would die almost every time I came to a stop for more than 30 seconds, or any time I tried to drive up my inclined driveway. I rested it the next day (Sunday) and Monday morning drove it to the dealership for repair. It did not die on the way to the dealership. Now the dealership has it and they have road tested it 2 or 3 times and can't get it to repeat the problem or show codes. I've found several links online to people having the exact same problem and it turns out to be the throttle body. However, the Ford dealer says they cannot fix it under warranty unless it shows them codes or repeats the behavior for them. They are not allowed to just take my word for it that this happened. As it's apparently an intermittent problem, who knows when it will happen again? so if it doesn't do it for them in the next day, I'll have to pick the car back up unfixed, and am terrified to drive it on the freeway for fear of being killed when it loses power at 65mph and causes an accident.

- Windsor, CA, USA

Sep 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle would not accelerate, would miss fire and stop running.

- Mount Airy , NC, USA

Jun 242013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving along & suddenly lost all throttle. A wrench appeared on my instrument panel & it was running very rough. I was able to idle over into a parking lot, but had no throttle power. I shut the vehicle off & just sat there, thinking about my options. I tried to start it & it started, so I drove it straight to a shop, where they hooked it up to their diagnostic machine. The wrench in the instrument panel was no longer there & the vehicle didn't throw any codes. The mechanic told me to drive it & contact Ford that next day. I called the Ford dealer & was told there are no recalls on this. Since June, this has happened several times & it finally threw a code in which the engine light came on, so I had my mechanic take a look at it. He removed the throttle body & cleaned the plates. It seemed to do much better, until a couple weeks ago. It's started it again & is now happening much more frequently. On 08/27/2013, I was driving on a highway in the passing lane, going about 60 mph when it happened again. I could have been rear-ended! I was able to limp it over to the shoulder, where I shut it off, waited, & then started it back up again. It happened three times in about a 15 mile period on 09/06/2013 & two times on 09/08/2013. On 09/06/2013, I again called the local Ford dealer & spoke to someone in parts. I was told the part I needed was recalled & was also on back order (3,800 parts behind). I called back to speak to someone in the service department & was told the parts person was wrong, because the part had not been recalled, although he had three cars there waiting on the same part for the same exact problem. If this is a known constant problem, why hasn't there been a recall? someone is going to get hurt in a rear-ender accident & I hope it's not me.

- Pleasant Hope, MO, USA

Aug 232013

I was driving home with my five year old son when I noticed my vehicle seem to be running rough. First, I noticed a rough idle when I stopped at a stop light. Then, while turning accross on coming traffic the vehicle looses all power with no throttle response and the engine light illuminated. At this point I was still in the way of on coming traffic and could not accelerate to finish the turn. Thank god I did idle to safety. I then stopped on the side of the road and put the vehicle in park and observed a very rough idle and no throttle response at all. I shut off the vehicle and restarted it after thirty seconds and it ran normal again with the engine light off. I immediately took the vehicle to a parts store to have the the ECM scanned for trouble codes. The tech could not recover or read any codes at that time. I found that troubling at the time but found out later that not all scan tools can access stored codes. I had this occur twice the next day while driving to work. I then called my local Ford dealer to schedule service and when I told him the symptoms he immediately knew the problem. I ordered a new throttle body assembly per their instruction and asked if there are any recalls or tsb's on this issue if it's that common. The dealer checked and found a tsb on this problem but no recalls. I personally feel this is definately a safety concern and should treated as that before someone does get hurt or worse, killed in an accident. I called Ford customer service the next day to file a complaint and find out why they aren't being proactive with this serious issue. I was told that they have no known safety recalls or tsb's at this time. I was also told that this problem was not something they had encountered very often. Since then, I have researched this and found that it is very known and being investigated at this time. Thank you.

- Earlville, IL, USA

Aug 282013

My service engine light came on. I took the car to the shop to get it checked out & they did a smoke test & determined that my car was leaking gas vapors from the vapor lock system - to be specific the fuel filler area. It cost me $500 to fix. The shop said my car was leaking a lot of gas vapors which is dangerous. Thank goodness I dont smoke. There seem to be quite a few of these complaints & there should be a recall on this. Aparently from what I have been told - Ford has known about this issue since 2006 & yet they still put them in vehicles.

- Dracut, MA, USA

May 292013

The vehicle lost power while driving at relatively constant speed. The engine hesitated, car did not accelerate when the gas pedal was applied. The engine then stalled. I pulled over, restarted the engine, and the car seem to run normally after this first incident. The vehicle has continued to intermittently have the same issue, although it may need to be restarted a few times before acting normal again. The vehicle was towed because it stalled and seem unable to make the drive home. The engine throttle was cleaned in August by a mechanic, but stalled repeatedly 3 days later. Using dry gas and keeping the tank nearly full has not solved the issue either. My experience seems similar to many complaints found at this website and other places on the internet.

- Dracut, MA, USA