2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 9 of 16)

Jul 262013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the interstate heading to work when I lost all power. The vehicle did not die or stall, it lost power and the gas pedal would not work. As my speed started declining, I had to immediately turn on my emergency lights and move off the side of the road. Which was hard at the time with other traffic in that lane. And the decreasing speed while I was in my lane had me nervous as other vehicles came up flying behind me. As soon as I pulled over on the side of the road, my car immediately died. I tried to turn it on after about ten minutes and the engine just rolled but would not come on. After about 25 minutes, my car started up again. I was able to get it to a dealership and they said right away that it was probably the throttle body, but that the part was on back order and would take up to a week to get in. After they checked it out, it was in fact the throttle body. I ended up lucking out because they did have a part for me. Upon paying for my repair, I was told by the Ford service department, that they had seen a major spike in this repair. They even said they once had 15 cars in one day that all needed the throttle body repaired. And that is why the part had originally been on back order. They also stated that they were not the only dealership noticing this spike. I was informed to keep all my paperwork because with this kind of spike, it could lead to a recall.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 252013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling at apx 45 mph when the yellow wrench error message appeared on the dash. At the same time the vehicle ceased to respond to the gas pedal. The engine and electrical system remained on however there was no power coming from the engine. The vehicle coasted as it lost momentum. I was able to pull off the major road that I was on. The vehicle shuddered as I came to a stop and turned it off. When I restarted the vehicle, the yellow wrench error light went out and the vehicle started with no problems. The Ford dealership later diagnosed the problem as the throttle body component. There had been no previous indicators of any problems. Vehicle had been serviced following the manufacturers service requirements.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jul 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle suddenly and unexpectedly lost all power while driving on a major thoroughfare, almost resulting in a rear end collision. Vehicle has now done that three times and is not being driven as it is unsafe to operate until repaired. Ford states that it is a known issue with the throttle body but cannot obtain the replacement part for one to two months, rendering vehicle unusable and unsafe.

- Toccoa, GA, USA

Jul 232013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway at 65 in the slow lane when suddenly the vehicle seemed to loose power. The engine was still running but the accelerator would not work. No gas seemed to be going to the engine but it was still running. The good thing was I was in the slow lane otherwise I would have been in serious trouble. I shut the engine off and waited a few moments before restarting. It started up and I was able to drive home. Researching the problem on the internet led me to this site but it would appear that this is a common problem which Ford needs to take of before someone is killed.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Apr 152013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle went into limp mode. Initially it was infrequent, but it started to happen more often at various speeds, causing unsafe driving conditions. The throttle body was the reported error, was replaced and now the new throttle body is acting up again with the same errors. The car is currently at the Ford dealership because the part is on back order and no one else has it available.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 012013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving at a constant speed of approximately 35 mph, vehicle suddenly stalled without warning or hesitation. I coasted to a stop in a nearby parking lot (luckily!), turned ignition off and vehicle restarted and ran with no problems for almost two weeks. On Saturday, July 13th while driving in a similar situation, the vehicle again stalled and would not restart until I coasted to a stop on the side of the road and turned the ignition off. Since then the vehicle has done this about a half dozen times but not always by just stalling. The vehicle has also went into 'limp home' mode on at least one occasion when my son was driving and he was lucky enough to be close to a friend's house where it sat overnight. When we started it the next time it ran like it was misfiring very badly, so we turned the ignition off and tapped on the throttle body with the handle of a screwdriver. It then started and idled normally and we were able to drive it about three miles home. It also has sputtered erratically similar to a very bad repeated misfiring until stopping and turning the ignition off. It did this twice within a quarter mile and then ran fine for over 15 miles that I drove it to the Ford dealership who wanted $107 dollars to diagnose a problem that I am fairly certain I already had figured out. The dealership said their 'specially trained' technicians may find a different cause than the P2111 code I had read with a scanner from a local auto parts store suggested. I have found out that this problem was supposed addressed by Ford thinking that there was a printed circuit board problem in the electronic throttle body. However, this vehicle was manufactured in March of 2010, after the October 15th, 2009 date they had started using the new part.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on highway around 70mph when car went into a "limp" mode and would not accelerate. Wrench light came on. After restarting the car, it performed as normal and no wrench light was lit. This has happened several times in one week at varying speeds. My Ford store did not find a problem. I've also felt a surge when the accelerating the vehicle.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving at 60mph on the highway, the car suddenly lost power, I pulled over quickly and it was barely running, the engine was sputtering. I shut it off waited a few minutes and then started, it worked after. That problem then happened 3 more times in the next 20min. I immediately took it to a garage and the error code showed electronic throttle body.

- Newburyport, MA, USA

Jul 192013

7/16/13, wife drove her car to work, dropped my son of at my mother's. got to the corner, tried to accelerate and it stalled, with no power, had to coast to the side of the road. 7/19/13, I was driving home, car stalled at the light, no accelerator power, wrench light came on. Turned it off, re-started, ran fine for about 1/4 mile, then started shaking and no accelerator power. This continued every quarter mile for 4 miles. Finally on the last shut down, check engine light came on, and engine started to shake with no response. Pulled over, and then let it set for 5 mins, restarted and finally made it around the corner to my home.. next available appointment at Ford dealer is 29 July...

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Driving at 55 mph, car jerked and the gas pedal failed to respond. Coasted over to the side of the road. Turned vehicle off. Restarted and started driving again with out problem. Same thing happened again except with a large cement truck behind me. The Ford died and there was no shoulder on the side of the road. The cement truck was able to go into the oncoming traffic lane to miss me. The Escape did the same scenario twice on the way to the garage. ( with out the cement truck) the problem was diagnosed as the throttle body malfunction.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Jun 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Made turn into traffic, speed was about 30 mph. Went to accelerate, no power. Engine rpms dropped. Stepped on gas pedal to accelerate. No response. Drifted over to side of road. Placed into neutral and tried to increase rpms. No response. Turned off ignition to call for aid as the roadway was busy, then tried to restart car. Car started normally. Rpms resumed normal. Placed car into drive and drove off normally. Happened again on three different occasions. Happened the other night three times. Deemed the car unsafe to drive. Waiting for an appointment to get repaired. On line forums indicate there is a problem with the throttle, whether it be a sensor or communication with the on board computed.

- Bayport, NY, USA

May 062013

Escape 6-cyl

On several occasions driving on the highway the vehicle speed goes down suddenly and all kinds of lights go on, and it dies after that. Shut off the car wait 10- 15 minutes, restart the car and prying it will take me home safely, on one occasion the card died twice in a 20 miles trip. Brought the car for diagnosis and I was told the throttle-body has to be replaced and it is not under warranty or a recall. The repair cost me $532 which I paid, later on I contacted Ford corporate by phone and by email, and both told me that the repair is not covered, and they would not re-imburse me for the repair cost. I checked your website and I found almost 600 complaints similar to mine, in a way I felt I'm not alone, on the other hand if Ford has these too many complaints about the throttle - body for the 2010 Ford Escape, why they can not work with the NHTSA and issue a recall to replace that defective part before someone gets injured or dead by a rearend collision. Please investigate this issue, thank you

- Sherborn, MA, USA

Jul 142013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving with cruise control set at 60mph, cruise disengaged, stepped on gas no throttle response pulled over and shut vehicle down restarted and proceeded home. Next day went to my Escape started vehicle and service engine light came on and remained on throughout the day. Called my Ford dealer to set up appointment to bring in the car for inspection. Was given a appointment in 3 days time (July 18,2013 @11:30am) was told by service advisor that it would be okay and safe to keep driving the car. Following day went to a meeting with my car, service engine light did not come on. While driving home the vehicle lost power and once again no throttle. Dealer service called and reported that the throttle assembly required replacement, asked if this was a known problem with the Escape and was told that there have been issues with the throttle assembly but no recall to date was told to keep the paid bill once the work was completed in case of a recall and reimbursement.

- Amherstburg On Canada N9v 2y8, MI, USA

Jul 122013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving at 50mph and next thing I know is my whole car was shaking it was a 2010 Ford Escape and I checked the dash and the orange wrench light is on. I tried to step on the gas pedal so I can find a place to pull over but I don't have any power on my gas pedal it just wont accelerate.

- Federal Way , WA, USA

Jul 092013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the wrench light came on and the car slowed and became sluggish. Took the car right to the Ford dealer. I was told it was the throttle body. I had just had a 30,000 mile checkup 2 months before and the throttle body was serviced and now 3,000 miles later I need to have it replaced... if I had been on the thruway when this happened. It could have caused an accident being at high speed then losing power. I was lucky.

- Saugerties, NY, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle stalled several times when I was pulling out from a stop or just after I pulled out from a stop. I took it to my dealer to have it serviced and was told that they needed to replace the throttle body. This cost me a total of $384.08. I was told at the dealer that this has happened to other 2010 Escapes at that dealerships. A quick google search lead me to see that it has happened to many others as well. There is no question that this is a safety issue as I stalled in intersections on more than one occasion. If there is a recall, I would like to make sure I am reimbursed for the expense I have paid to fix this.

- Jefferson Hills, PA, USA

Jul 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Traveling at 65 mph engine suddenly drops in RPM to about 600 - 900 RPM and check engine light comes on. Pulled car to side of road, shut it off and restarted. Engine ran fine and was later inspected. Obd indicates throttle body malfunction and requires replacement.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on I-95 60 mph....when the engine almost completely stalled out without warning. The car speed dropped down to 5-7mph...and the car started shaking and the engine began rough surging. I barely missed being hit by a large semi truck as I inched the car over to the curb. I was able to get the car off the expressway (going about 5 mph) at the next exit and then turned the car off. The wrench light also appeared. I turned the car off.I called my husband, who told me to see if I could restart the car after 15 minutes. It started back up and I was able to drive home. The car worked okay for 3 more weeks and then the same thing happened to me again.....and almost caused an accident again. I was able to get the car home, I have parked the car and will no longer use it.

- Mamaroneck, NY, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

The first incident happened as I was leaving work. I'd just pulled out of our parking lot onto the highway when my car failed to accelerate. A wrench symbol light came on and I coasted to the side of the highway, turned it off, let it sit for a moment and then restarted my car. I made it about 7 miles when the same thing happened. I pulled into a parking lot and used my phone to google the symptoms on a Ford forum. It stated that there were in fact several incidents stating the exact same problems. And that after restarting their vehicles, it resets itself. So I continued home. It happened 2 more times before I made it home only now the check engine light was on as well. I called Ford and they stated there was in fact an issue with the throttle body affecting several Ford vehicles. I had my car towed to Ford where they diagnosed that it was in fact the throttle body. However, this part is now on a national backorder. I am the 13th person at my local dealership needing this part in order to drive my vehicle. I have children and I refuse to put their lives at risk in this vehicle. They cleaned the throttle body and said this was a band aid fix until the part came in which by the way has no eta.this band aid repair lasted less than 24 hours. I have the extended warranty and it will cover this repair but I'm going to have to pay $100 deductible for it to be fixed. Why am I having to pay out of pocket for a problem that is not specific to my vehicle? they have posted bulletins but still no recall. Is it going to take someone being killed before they do something about this. I'm having to depend on rides from friends to get to and from work, to get to the grocery store, to pick up my children. My extended warranty will cover 2 days of a rental. Ford says they can't offer me a loaner vehicle. Please make them do something about this...

- Lake Charles,, LA, USA

Jul 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Pulled into traffic on a busy 4 lane freeway and as I reached 50 mph and all throttle control disappeared and car was only steerable but no acceleration as I tried to work the car off to the side creating a hazardous situation. The engine was still running roughly but with no gas petal response. I turned off the car, re-tried starting and then no signs of problems, took to dealer and found faulty throttle body, a national back order from Ford indicating that this is happening all over the country, and will not be covered by warranty, far short of what would be expected of a throttle body, and creating a dangerous safety issue.

- Orange Beach , AL, USA