2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 16)

Sep 202016

Cap less fuel system indicates failure on warning system. After continuing to drive engine warning eluminates.

- Shalimar, FL, USA

Aug 312016

Check engine light has come on. Displays a error code of P2119. I have been told that this is a problem with the electronic throttle actuator control valve. The symbol of a wrench is also displayed.

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Jul 262016

Vehicle jerked forward and yellow wrench light illuminated. I'm told this is a electronic throttle body malfunction due to internal contamination on the internal motor contacts. Vehicle was in motion at time. Ford sent me two letters on this subject but refuses to fix it unless they can see code. Code is erased when engine shut off according to Ford.

- North Port, FL, USA

Jul 252016

When we use the max A/C it recirculates and you can smell very heavy gas. When you turn it to regular A/C the smell goes away. It is horrible.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 112016

Fuel inlet light is on. This is a major problem with Ford. I need it fixed.

- Bronx, NY, USA

May 252016

Takata recall

- Fort Lee, NJ, USA

May 062016

Driving and vehicle "gulped" and slowed to less than 10 miles per hour. Due to traffic was able to pull over and get off roadway. Called tow truck...$45 and had towed to close mechanic and they found that the "throttle body was not working properly". vehicle has 84,872 miles on it. They replaced throttle body and cleared codes...$346.92. This has been a problem and this vehicle was purchased from a Ford dealership. Repairs were made at advanced automotive repair, 114 E austin, bolivar, mo 65613 and completed on 5/9/2016

- Bolivar, MO, USA

Feb 272014

The fuel canister on the 2010 Ford Escape will backup and cause the check engine light to come on and release gas fumes and could be a potential calls for a fire and when it does this it will release strong gas smell. This will be the 2nd one on this vehicle

- Lugoff, SC, USA

May 312010

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. While driving 75 mph, a fuel odor emitted inside the vehicle without warning. After the vehicle was parked, the fuel odor was noticed outside the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000. Updated 05/17/16

- Quartz Site, AZ, USA

Mar 162016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that after refueling the vehicle, there was fuel leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000.

- Live Oak, FL, USA

Feb 252016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, after fueling the vehicle, the engine warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the purge valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Fort Loundon, PA, USA

Jan 242016

Just to let everyone know, some people have been complaining about fueling issues. Check the vent valve attached to the intake manifold. I replaced one and the vehicle fuels up just great. Also the check engine light went out after a few days

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Nov 012015

The vehilcle went into a mode where it was able to keep throttling and was about to stall. It would throttle up and down on its own while moving. Powering off the vehicle corrected the issue for the time being.

- Newark, OH, USA

Nov 142014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than twice where it was diagnosed several times that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The technician mentioned that the fuel was not properly circulating within the system which was causing the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Aug 282015

While driving along the highway and for no apparent reason the engine completely looses power. When I pull to the side of the road it will sit there and act as if it is starving for fuel. I put it in park and I try to give it gas and there is no response. I will shut it off and re-start and it will be find it may happen again 5 or 10 miles down the road or it might not till the next day. The first few time it happen the check engine light did not come on but now it is and has stayed on. I see, looking at you tube and a few other sources that this a know problem with the throttle and Ford has issued a customer satisfaction program or recall. But I also see this appears to be for 4cyl engines whereas mine is a 6 cyl.

- Montgomery, PA, USA

May 302015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While driving down the street, the vehicle suddenly seemed to stall. The 'wrench' light came on and the engine was still running but only moving at idle speed. Pressing the accelerator did nothing, the engine kept stayed at idle. I pulled over and then turned off the engine. The car restarted and the wrench light was off. I accelerated up to street speed (30-35 mph) and the same thing happened again, the wrench light came on. I again pulled over, turned off the engine, and then restarted the car. This time the wrench light went off but the 'check engine' light came on and stayed on. I was able to drive the car where I needed to go by keeping it under 30 mph. I did make it to a auto-parts store and they were able to hook up a diagnostic machine to give me the P2111 trouble code, throttle body stuck open. When I restarted the car, the check engine light was off and I was able to accelerate up to 55 mph on the highway with no issues and later was on the interstate at 65-70 mph. Nothing more happened over the next week but on my way to work this morning, 6/8, the same issue happened 5 times on my way to work. The car would just suddenly lose power and the engine would only run at idle speed. The wrench light came on each time. I would pull over and stop, as turning off the car while coasting and then restarting did not seem to 'reset' the car. When it restarted, the wrench light was gone but it came back on and the car stalled several times. After the third time, the check engine light came on again and it happened twice more after that.

- Verona, WI, USA

Apr 222015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While moving in left of two lanes in moderate traffic at ~58 mph the car lost all power. Accelerator did not function. 'wrench' warning light on dashboard was illuminated. All electrical equipment, power brakes, and power steering seemed to function normally. Vehicle had no power, meaning that driver could not control speed of vehicle. Right turn signal was activated and the vehicle was 'coasted' to the right berm -- almost being hit by another vehicle! driver sat in vehicle assessing status of all gauges and (warning) lights. Nothing appeared out of ordinary except for 'wrench' light. Vehicle was turned of. After 30 second pause, vehicle was restarted. Wrench light was not illuminated and, again, all gauges and lights appeared normal. Re-entered traffic and successfully reached grocery store -- 1 mile away. Vehicle was parked. Upon completion of shopping vehicle was started and driver was able to return home (~5 miles) without event recurring. This is an extremely dangerous situation. It is only through 'good luck' that our vehicle was not hit by other traffic. Driver had zero control over vehicle speed.

- Ft Myers, FL, USA

Nov 072014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Initially, "wrench" icon on instrument panel turned on and then turned off. Vehicle brought to dealer and no issues found after computer diagnostics. Subsequently within a week, vehicle would not accelerate beyond 50 mph on highway and RPM gauge was fluctuating erratically. Vehicle brought into dealer and trouble code P2112 found. After discussion with dealer, it was discovered that there was a known issue with this model's throttle body/motor assembly and that Ford would only replace part when code was present. Dealer replaced part and was very accommodating and trouble seems to have gone away. This complaint is being written to identify the issue for others and to recommend that NHTSA require Ford to recall all models impacted and replace this part regardless of whether code is present.

- Mohegan Lake, NY, USA

Sep 082014

My daughter and I were driving home traveling at approximately 40 mph. All of a sudden without any warning the car totally lost power and I had to coast into a driveway. Had my daughter been driving by herself she would not know how to remain calm and get to the side of the road. Fortunately I have been driving for a long time and knew what to do. Once I turned the vehicle off and back on it ran fine. I thought it was an isolated incidence and thought maybe we had junk in the fuel. The next time I drove the vehicle we were doing 60 mph when it shut down again and this time I was on the freeway next to a semi in heavy traffic and had to turn my emergency flashers on and coast to the shoulder. I had to cut off vehicles in the right lane to get safely to the shoulder. Once again I turned the vehicle off and back on again and went home. My husband did research on the internet and found that there were lots of complaints with identical symptoms and when they went to the Ford dealership were told they knew nothing about this problem. The other people found out that it was the throttle body that needed replacement. We went to the local Ford dealership and asked about it and they played dump and said they hadn't heard anything about it and were actually rude to us. I located a throttle body in stock at a Ford dealership 3 hours away. We picked the part up and my husband installed it. It took approximately 1 hour to replace and cost $207.22. I have not had a problem since. It is criminal to allow this to go unfixed. It posses a terrible risk to drivers. The throttle body is not just on the 2009-2013 Ford Escape it is also on : 2010-2012 Ford Fusion, 2011-2013 Lincoln mkz, 2010-2011 Mercury Milan, and 2009-2011 Mercury mariner.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Nov 062014

Escape 6-cyl

Immediately after having two items fixed that were recalled on my vehicle, (throttle body etc), the check engine light came on. I thought it was something done while fixing recall items; however, the Ford dealership service dept advised me that it was not due to the recall items fixed. Also it would cost $527 to fix, as the flap inside the nozzle/flex fuel pipe was not closing properly. I showed my anger and disappointment - which at that point, the service manager advised that my car had a white funnel that they would use to try to undo the flap. It worked. Why in the world did they try to get me to pay $527 without first trying the funnel. Another client in the service dept advised me to do the funnel thing before the service guy did. He has had the same issues. As of this morning, however, the check engine light is on again. I am going to try the funnel first, before I take it to my personal mechanic. I feel assured that I am not the first Ford Escape 2010 owner that has experienced this issue. Please check into recalling this problem. Thank you very much.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA