2.5

2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jun 232013

Escape 4-cyl

On June 23, 2013 driving on street about 25 M.P.H. when car suddenly dropped in speed to almost an idle. After pulling to side of road, was able to turn around and return home at about 1 M.P.H. fortunately, there were no vehicles behind me, otherwise, because of the abrupt stopping of the vehicle a rear end accident would have occurred. Ford roadside service towed car to kindle Ford, cape may court house, NJ on Monday June 24, 2013. I was later advised by the service department that the vehicle needed a throttle body assembly at a cost of $378 and that it was not covered under the power train warranty period. Worse yet, I was told that the part was back ordered, service could give no date when the part would be available, as it was on nationwide back order and could be several weeks or more before the part was available. No loner car was offered for use during this unreasonable delay.

- Linwood, NJ, USA

Jun 202013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving from atlanta, Georgia area to opp, Alabama, traveling at about 55 mph, the car engine just shut down, engine and mechanical lights came on. We coasted to a stop with the engine shut down. We restarted the engine and were able to resume. We were able to do this procedure four times, for about 9 miles and reached our destination. Vehicle was towed to a Ford dealer, who diagnosed the problem as "the throttle body broke." I was advised that this part was on back-order, nationwide, and may be delivered in 1 week or 2 months. Therefore, we are now stranded.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Jun 102013

Escape 4-cyl

It was taken to dealership for repair and I was told they have zero throttle bodies for this car for 4 to 6 months maybe longer. And in researching this there are alot of people with the same problem I'm having and they don't seem to care about resolving the issue. Just keep making your payments on the car and rent you another so you can get back and forth to work to pay for it. Even tho I have warranty coverage still cannot get a loaner car till they can get the parts to fix this thing.

- Santa Fe, TX, USA

Jun 082013

Escape 4-cyl

This first started several weeks one day after filling up my car all of sudden it would not go. I pulled over barely missing being hit. I turned the car off for a few minutes and it would start up and I could go. This didn't happen again for a couple of weeks. The next time I was low on gas. It happened two more times. I kept thinking I had bad gas. Then last Saturday I was out shopping and it happened numerous times. I was so scared by the time I went home I was a nervous wreck. I can't tell you how many times I was almost hit. Even the morning I took it into the car dealer it died four times on the way. My car acted just like the situations in your article. Now the dealership at Ford is making me rent a car. I can't drive mine. Ford is saying they don't know if it is a week or a month before they get these parts in. They can't fix my car because there is such a big back order for this part. Somebody needs to get these motels recalled and get them fixed.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Jun 042013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle will cut off while driving, when I get off the road to a stop it sounds like it is idiling rough but will not move. This vehicle will shut off at any speed without warning. Very dangerous to drive on interstate.

- Northport, AL, USA

Jun 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at roughly 25-30 mph vehicle stopped accelerating and coasted regardless of pressure to gas pedal. I was in a busy intersection and was unable to get out of the way. Wrench light came on when vehicle stopped accelerating. I coasted to a driveway (no shoulder) and shut off the engine and restarted the vehicle. At this time, the engine light was on with no wrench light. Car accelerated fine so I continued home. In the span of 5 miles, this same incident occurred 4 times. Turning the car off and on would temporarily fix the issue, but the engine light never left. In route, I stayed on roads with shoulder allowances or frequent turnoffs, where possible. The following day, I took the vehicle to a mechanic who ran diagnostic and determined it was the throttle actuator control system. Currently having trouble finding the part to fix the issue, because of its current high demand. I'm told it could be a month.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Nov 162012

Escape 4-cyl

Driving on 3 lane highway in middle lane at approximately 70 mph and engine completely lost power. We (children and myself) were almost rear ended by a semitruck coming up from behind us having no idea that my auto lost power. I was able to pull off to the shoulder. Engine was still running. Car had no real power but was able to continue at about 5 mph for a few hundred feet up exit ramp to a gravel area where I stopped and regained my composure as I thought we were going to crash!!!!! I noticed the yellow wrench light was on in the lower left corner of the dash. Turned off engine unsure of what to do. At the time I was still about 100 miles from home so I tried to start the engine again. Engine started right up. Power was back. Continued to drive another 20-30 miles with again with one more issue. I had just brought this in to be checked before taking my family trip and I was told everything was good...descriptions on the internet talk about a fuel throttle body issue which has symptoms that match what happened to this vehicle. First incident 11/2012, 2nd 3rd & cont 2013 now... this will be my 3rd time bringing back to the dealership - and I add that they are not calling back to schedule a svs appt.. I am filing compliant here and with Ford.. I always purchased a Ford - maybe now Chevy..addtl note:. car has had issues in the past month where it sputters a bit pulling out from a stop sign and has reved up to about 1500 RPM when out of gear right after starting.

- Alden, NY, USA

May 312013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on 3 lane highway in middle lane at approximately 70 mph slightly up hill and engine completely lost power. I pulled off to the shoulder. Engine was still running. Car had no real power but was able to continue at about 5 mph for a few hundred feet up exit ramp to a gravel area where I stopped. I noticed the yellow wrench light was on in the lower left corner of the dash. Turned off engine unsure of what to do. At the time I was about 90 miles from home so I tried to start the engine again. Engine started right up. Power was back. Continued to drive another 90 miles with no issue. Descriptions on the internet talk about a fuel throttle body issue which has symptoms that match what happened to this vehicle. Stopped at Ford dealer and ordered new throttle body. Service department acted like they never heard of the issue although it is all over the internet. Waiting for part 9E926 to arrive to install. Car has had issues in the past month where it sputters a bit pulling out from a stop sign and has revved up to about 1500 RPM when out of gear right after starting.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

May 282013

Escape 4-cyl

Car stalled on highway at 70 miles per hour. Seemed like car shutoff, but later realized that car was still on but not moving. Took to dealer it was diagnosed as throttle body was defective. Quite dangerous due to sudden loss of control on highway, easily could of been hit by other car.

- Davie, FL, USA

May 272013

Escape 4-cyl

While traveling on the highway, the car stopped responding to the gas pedal being push, and started slowing down suddenly. Pulled over to the side of the road, where the car sputtered, and turned it off. Popped the hood everything looks good. Turned the car on again, started going, and it happened again. When I pulled over a second time, let the car sit roughly 5 minutes, turned over and was able to make it to an auto zone to run the diagnostics. Took it to a Ford dealership and was advised that not only can they not fix it currently, but they don't know when the part will become available to fix it, since the part is currently being redesigned. I'm scared to drive my SUV, especially since it's with my two and half year old with me. I'm afraid of being left stranded.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 232013

Escape

In Feb. 2013 I brought my car to the dealer because it was running rough when I was going up an incline and attempted to accelerate. The engine light came on but then went off. After the dealer checked it they assured me nothing was mechanically wrong. Off and on the problem persisted, but on a lesser scale, but there were no failures indicated in the computer. On May 23, 2013 I was traveling in rush hour traffic from baltimore when my car began running rough and within seconds the engine light and the wrench light was on. I had no acceleration at all. I managed to nurse it to the side of a major highway where I turned the car off. I waited several mins and restarted the car. It started, the engine light remained on but the wrench went out. I was not in a place that was safe for me to remain so I nursed the car to the dealer. After securing a rental car for about $50 a day (at my expense) I was informed that it will be approximately 27 days (3rd week of June) before the part is available and will cost me approximately $750 to fix. At $50 a day my rental will be twice the repair bill and more than my mortgage! it was suggested by the dealer I call Ford's customer care center, which I did, and was told my complaint was logged and that I would hear "most likely next from the manager at the dealer". they did not offer to assist with a loaner or with the issue surrounding the fact that it was going to take 27 days (at least) for a part to be available. Nothing was ultimately resolved through Ford customer care. Fortunately I was in the "slow" lane when this happened and could get to the shoulder. If I had been in any other lane on this highway, the outcome may not have been accident free.

- Dundalk, MD, USA

Apr 172013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle decelerated to 10 mph, "wrench" service light appeared. I pulled over, put vehicle into park, at which time it began shuddering. Turned off engine, waited a few moments, and turned ignition. Vehicle restarted with some effort. Incident has re-occurred 7 times since then, now with "engine" service light on. Mechanic has identified issue as worn throttle body, on 2-week back order as of May 10, 2013. Time for a recall, Ford.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 112013

Escape 4-cyl

Even though that had happened some months before but stopped, it did it again in January of 2013. The vehicle stalled unable to be accelerated, the wrench sign appeared and all I could do was coast it to the side of the road. The engine was still running. Since this happened before, I took it immediately to Ford to have it fix. I told them what I thought it was and they confirmed it. The repaired was $304. Since Ford knows about this existing problem with the Escapes, they should have recalled this part and pay you for the repair. I like the Escape but I think Ford has not been proactive in fixing this problem.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 182013

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and also experienced sudden acceleration. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who diagnosed the failure and stated that the evaporative emission canister needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The dealer was notified. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 57,873 updated 04/30/13 the charcoal canister was replaced. Updated 05/20/13

- Bokchito, OK, USA

Dec 012012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and a smoke test was performed. The dealer located a leak in the system with the potential for fuel leakage as well. The valve solenoid, valve assembly pipe and the fuel filler pipe were all recommended for replacement. The manufacturer was notified and a complaint was filed but no assistance was offered. The vehicle was repaired at a cost of $ $931.64. The failure and current mileage was 70,480. Updated 03/01/13 the component failures based on what the dealer provided, which was a smoke test, confirmed the fuel system was leaking fuel vapors into the atmosphere and any places that fuel vapors could Escape. Updated 03/07/13

- Lino Lakes, MN, USA

Jan 022012

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

When refueling the vehicle, a strong fuel odor is present and about a quart of fuel leaks from under the vehicle. This leak does not come from a spillage at the pump handle and filler tube. This happens every time I refuel. Obviously this is a dangerous fire hazard!

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 312011

Escape 4-cyl

At stop or idle, engine surges, hesitates, stalls, smell gas, check engine light comes on. Took Escape to dealer. Dealer says its the purge valve and evap canister. Purge valve failed and raw gas filled evap canister. Dealer says its out of warranty, there's nothing they can do. This has been a know problem since 2006, tsb bulletin 11-3-22, part # 9U5Z-9C915H-purge valve, part # 9R3Z-9C985-B evap canister. Ford has done nothing to correct the issue. They replaced the damaged parts with the same parts with no fix for the spillage of raw fuel, on the ground, in the air, on the vehicle. This raw fuel situation could cause a fire or explosion at any time. Yet Ford says its not an emission issue and the vehicle is out of warranty. The Ford forums on the internet are full of complaints for the same raw fuel spillage. Does someone have to die before Ford admits they have a design problem and fixes it"?" this same issue is also related to the 2010-12 Fusion.

- Lagrange, KY, USA