2010 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 222014

Escape 4-cyl

While driving to work, my car died twice. The first time, while approaching a stop light, the engine cut off. When I came to a stop; I put it in park to try and start it again, and it seemed to struggle when starting as if I were out of gas, but I had just filled up my tank that morning. The light turned green, and there was a stop sign about 500 yards away, and as soon as I was coming to a stop again; the engine dies. This time it took twice as long and several attempts to get it started again. Also, when I am sitting idle at a stop light or a stop sign, the rpms will drop very low and start to stall out. I am able to catch it and rev the engine to prevent it from stalling sometimes.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Dec 162014

Escape 4-cyl

Car is stalling and locking up due to fuel line issue. Per Ford service dept this is dangerous for two reasons - stalling and potential fire.

- Chevy Chase, MD, USA

Jul 302014

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle had exited from freeway and was stopped on an exit ramp stop light. When gas was pushed to move vehicle from stopped position, the engine accelerated but the vehicle would not move forward. Initially, the wrench light appeared on dash and then later, this disappeared and the check engine light came on. Vehicle was taken to a nearby auto parts facility where a computer code evaluation was completed- this yielded the same code appearing 3 times: A problem involving the throttle actuator control system sensor. The technician stated that when the same problem code appears 3 times during the check, this accurately pin-points the problem.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 072014

Escape 4-cyl

The first incident occurred approximately 2months ago (April 2014) as I was driving on a state road (new circle rd in lexington ky)at around 60mph during my morning commute around 8am. The vehicle seemingly stalled but all the systems were fine (still had power steering, lights, radio, braking system etc) with the exception of the accelerator which didn't do anything when I put my foot on the gas. I was able to coast over to the side of the road turned the engine off, sat for about 5 mins & was able to continue on the road without further issue (the check engine light didn't even come back on). The most recent date was 06/07/14 with my family in the car as passengers. I was at a stoplight turning left when, as previously, the engine stalled as I was turning. Again, all systems registered and were working but when I put my foot on the gas nothing happened. Again I was luckily able to coast to the side of the road and turn off the engine. This time after waiting roughly 5 mins and turning the engine back on, nothing happened after I hit the accelerator. I turned the engine back off and waited an additional 5 mins. This time I was able to give the car gas and as my home was nearby was thankfully able to make it to my house. The check engine light however did not go off as it had previously. I took the car to my dealership on 06/09/14 and they confirmed that it was the throttle body.

- Lexington , KY, USA

May 262014

This is the third incident in two days, I'm driving along when I take my foot of the gas pedal and coast, the engine dies, the dash shows the battery and oil light. You can still steer, but the car slows down drastically with the engine not running, I had someone almost rear end me, because I slowed down so much. All incidents were the same, but the first time it happened it was very scary because you didn't know what was happening and you didn't know what to do. The car will start back up if you park it or put it in neutral, but I was in the middle of an intersection the third time, stopped traffic cars were honking at me. This is a huge safety issue, taking it in tomorrow to get it fixed, should be a recall.

- Spokane, WA, USA

May 072014

Entering I-85 going West at approx. 60mph. Approx 1/4 mile the car lost power as I was entering the freeway. Traffic was merging onto the freeway around me and I put on my blinker to get to the side of the freeway to call a tow truck. It was very dangerous. The repair shop told me it was a throttle body issue.

- Garden City, ID, USA

Mar 312014

Escape 6-cyl

On Dec.31 at approximately 2 P.M. I was driving South on citrus ave. I was going 55 mph and my vehicle started losing speed. I moved to the side of the road. I turned off the ignition and when I restarted the car it ran as normal. Prior to that, on several occasions upon starting from a stop I had noticed faster acceleration than the amount of pressure I was applying to the gas pedal.

- Dunnellon, FL, USA

Jul 182013

Escape 6-cyl

Speed from 70 to zero. First time on freeway again it happen many times pull over shutoff eng. Restart. Call Ford motor and dealer both say unless they could get the code from eng. Not one thing could be happen again my auto repair shop I walked over there they got the code and I took it to repair shop they put on new throttle body it now runs good but is this part going to happen again.

- Westland, MI, USA

May 012013

Escape 4-cyl

For the past 8 months my Escape has been stalling while I am driving or at a stop light, and when I am at a complete stop the car moves forward without stepping on the gas pedal!!!

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Jan 022014

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving along a road and suddenly my car jolted and almost all of my dashboard lights lit up. The engine was on, but nothing was happening. I pushed the accelerator down and nothing, still. As I was pulling off to the side of the road, the car died. I waited five minutes and the engine was able to be restarted. But the engine light stayed on. I had to turn the engine on and off multiple times to restart the engine. This had happened a couple of times before, but nothing as severe.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Apr 202013

Escape 4-cyl

One night I was driving in a residential area and my car started to rumble, it shook back and forth and the engine started to splutter. Then, the engine choked and the car stalled in the middle of the street. The car shut itself off. Luckily, this happened before I entered the freeway. The check engine light went on and at first I thought it might have been a battery problem. However, after the car shut off I tried to start the car and I was able to drive it for a couple minutes until it started to stall again. This happened three times in one night within a thirty minute time frame. So, I had to wait a while for my engine to cool down. I took it to galpin Ford motors service and they told me they could not diagnose the problem. I went back the second time to get my vehicle re-checked after two days because the problem occurred again and galpin Ford was still not able to resolve the issue. I recently just took it back because my car choked in the middle of an intersection and I am still disappointed by the way galpin Ford services handled the situation. I feel like my life is at risk driving this vehicle. I have researched this make and model for incidents just like mine because I'm sure this is a defect with the Ford Escape models.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 152013

Escape 4-cyl

At night, while stopped on red traffic light waiting for change to green, the vehicle stalls an shut off. Did not start right over until a while. All dashboard panel lights were on. After 45 minutes tried to start it and it just move very, very slow and did not accelerate until it died again a 100 feet farther. We call road assistance to take us home in a towing truck. At the other day we call the towing truck again to take the SUV to the dealer since it was in warranty, when we start it before leaving it was working fine. The service tech at Ford tell us that probably it is the throttle body since other people has been having the same issue. They test it and they say that nothing is wrong... my warranty is about to expire and I think that they are playing us to take the unit home and when it happen again charge us for the cost of the part... $$$$ very expensive!!! this is a hazardous issue since it can happen while driving it can cause an accident or lost of life.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Sep 082013

Escape 6-cyl

Began at idle at stop light/sign; rpms go up/down then stall. Then while driving approx 45 mph, car does a "thud", doesn't stall, but gas peddle no longer works, you can push it to the floor and nothing. I turned on my flashers, coasted off side of road and stopped. Shut engine off and restarted it. 2nd time, while going threw a huge, busy intersection at rush hour, car started jerking, gas peddle quit working, almost got rear-ended, whole family was with me; rolled off side of road, turned car off and restarted it. When turning key on it would make the repeated start sound before it actually started. When the "thud" happens the "wrench" light eliminates on my dash, but once I shut off key and restart, the "wrench" light goes away. I took it to the dealership and they told me it was a "canister purge valve" that needed replacing and wanted to charge me $390 to fix. I paid them the $92 diagnostic fee and my husband paid $42 for the part and replaced it himself. Only my problem still exists as that wasn't the problem at all. I called Ford back today explaining it happened to me again today while turning a corner at 15 mph and they then guessed it was the "throttle body" and I have to take it back in to the dealership tomorrow! my friend with same yr, make and model of Escape was on the hwy and it happened last week; she almost got hit by a semi truck!!

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Sep 142013

Escape 4-cyl

Was traveling through an intersection and the Escape power quit even though the engine was running. Got it pulled into a parking lot where then I looked up to see what the wrench light meant which was powertrain issue, took it home added transmission fluid thinking that might have been the problem since it was a little low. Had no issues until 9/19/2013 when traveling about 40mph and the same thing happened again. My Escape of course is out of warranty and has been sitting at the butler county for now for 10 days waiting for this throttle body to come in since it is on back order (and Ford wont do a recall when this is happening to so many vehicles they cant get the part) I have been without a vehicle since (borrowing the parents to get to and from work) and the part is still not in and I keep hearing that it is on its way. Never had an issue with the last 6 Ford products I have owned but this is pathetic that nothing is being done before someone gets hurt.

- Butler, PA, USA

Aug 262013

Escape 4-cyl

I was traveling through a busy intersection, as I mashed the gas pedal nothing happened. My car went "limp" as if it had cut off but it was still on. I coasted to the side of the road, just barely avoiding being struck by speeding traffic. I cut my car off and waited 5 minutes then restarted it. I was able drive it a short distance to a mechanic where it again "went limp". after my car was examined, the mechanic determined the problem was the throttle body had malfunctioned.

- Wedowee, AL, USA

Sep 102013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving vehicle onto entrance ramp of freeway when the power suddenly cut out and the car coasted. The "wrench" light illuminated on the dashboard. I was able to steer the vehicle to the side of the road. I called a Ford dealer and had the vehicle towed. The throttle body had a fault in the system and was replaced at a cost of nearly $300.

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Sep 172013

Escape 4-cyl

I recently had an incident on 8/28/13 with a fuel vapor leak. It was fixed on 9/6/13. As of 9/17/13 the same issue happened again.. apparently this is a common problem that Ford knows about and have not fixed. So now when you have a vapor leak & they replace the vapor system, its replaced with the same model type so it could happen again & again. Why they didn't fix the vapor system issue so there would be a newer model is beyond me. My car lasted less than a week and half before it happened again. I drove to work & it was fine. I went to leave work 3 hrs later & the service engine soon light was on. Had a shop read the code & it was the same issue - P0456 is the code in case anyone needs to know.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Aug 302013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Traverse city mi driving around 55 mph vehicle started loosing power. Pulled off side of road tried putting it in reverse since it wouldn't go forward slowly went. Check engine light was not on. Ran vehicle health report. Turned engine off and back on hesitated to start but did. Ran a little rough but than went for a mile or less check engine light came on. Ran vehicle health report again.. did the same again rolled to a stop. Turned engine off and on finished going 5 miles to work. Called a wrecker had towed to Ford garage. They said throttle body had to be replaced part wouldn't be in until Tuesday due to labor day. Cost would be $503. Tuesday told me it wouldn't be here until 10:00 a.M. would be done by noon. Called at 12:30 Wednesday told me part is on national back order won't be in until October,17 2013.

- Lake Ann, MI, USA

Jul 262013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate and entering a ramp, the engine just lost power and there was a rapid deceleration. The car had no power and I had to pull over to the shoulder in heavy traffic. There was a wrench symbol lit up on the dash. I towed the car to a Ford dealer in bettendorf Iowa. They told me the problem was a bad throttle body and it would have to be replaced. There was a shortage of parts because there was 5 cars ahead of me waiting for the same parts. Sounds like a common major problem. Should be recalled for this problem. It could have created a dangerous situation.

- Redington Shores, FL, USA

Sep 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle stalls out while driving and goes into an idle mode. Vehicle has to be shut off and then restarted in order to go back into a mode that allows acceleration.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA