2010 Ford Escape windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 172010

I went to open up my real tailgate to place a blanket in the back of the Escape. I closed the tailgate with normal velocity and when it shut, the rear window imploded. The tailgate was not slammed, the window itself did not have any damage prior to this incident. I only had the car for <1 month. I only put 312 miles myself on the vehicle. This could of been more dangerous if either the vehicle was traveling or children were in the backseat.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 032010

Simply closed the rear hatch of our 2010 Ford Escape and the back glass exploded in our faces. There was nothing in vehicle that hit or contacted the glass whatsoever. There was no extra effort used to close hatch. Simply closed it as we always do (not slammed) and the glass blew up all over us, our groceries and the interior of vehicle. We went to dealership and talked to service manager who replied "it was because you live on a dirt road". I said, "so if you live on a dirt road you should avoid purchasing a Ford Escape?". he had no reply to this only said Ford would not cover the damage. There are thousands of Escapes with this problem online and nothing seems to be getting done about it. We had to replace the window at the cost of almost $500 with no guarantee it wont happen again. Looks to me like the weight of the rear wiper motor over the latch is too much weight and causes stress on window when closing.

- Stockbridge, MI, USA

Dec 042010

Escape 6-cyl

Was loading shopping bags into the back of my 2010 Ford Escape when I closed the hatch, the back window exploded into a million pieces sending glass flying everywhere. I did not slam the back door, I closed it the same way I always close it.

- Brampton, 00, USA

Nov 262010

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

2010 Ford Escape - rear window exploded/shattered when liftgate closed.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Nov 152010

After closing liftgate, rear glass exploded, sending shards 10 ft. The gas cylinder struts were then stuck at full extension out of the vehicle. They could not be pushed in with force. Weather was dry, 35 deg.F. we have owned four previous Escapes and have never seen anything like this.

- Novi, MI, USA

Apr 232010

Windshield has a manufacturing defect that creates a heat shimmer like effect when looking through it. This causes a distortion during the day, but distortion increases at night or rainy weather. Ford has replaced this once under warranty with another Ford windshield. New windshield has same defect.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Jan 282010

The rear window on our 2010 Ford Escape shattered when the door was closed. We purchased the car on November 5, 2009. The car was less than 90 days old and had less than 900 miles on it. It is used within a 10 mile radius of our home with very little expressway use. The Ford service department said that our warranty and extended care policy did not cover glass. The window was repaired through our insurance company. There was no evidence that the window had been hit by flying debris or misused in any way. We feel that the window/glass was defective and a safety concern. It could have caused more damage if it had shattered when we were driving or if someone had been in the back seat when it shattered.

- Baltimore, MD, USA