2011 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Sep 022016

Vehicle was parked. Owner opened the rear window. On latch release (and window upswing) the left side of the window shot out and fell from the car -- window was being held onto the car only by the glass lift supports. The window liftgate hinges had deteriorated/broken apart from the anchor bolt on the window. Approximately 3-5 months previously, owner noticed that a white substance had stained the rear window just below both liftgate hinges.

- Northfield, MN, USA

Dec 072015

My 2011 Ford Escape rear liftgate latch won't open- caused by premature failure of an electrical actuator that unlatches (open) the lift-gate. The vehicle's liftgate only unlatches electrically (button switch operated). There is no way to open the liftgate manually if the actuator fails or in the event of vehicle's electric power failure. Defective design, quality control/reliability issue as well as safety concern. There are apparently tens of thousands owners of 2008 to 2012 Ford Escape with the exact same problem as demonstrated by the following you tube link (over 69,000 views to date and growing): Https://

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 302015

Sun roof shattered while in hot sun, later blew out onto the highway

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Apr 022015

The rear lift gate seal leaks and leave a puddle of water around the rear latch. Sometimes the carpet in the back near the rear gate is damp.

- Ellettsville, IN, USA

Feb 042015

Escape 4-cyl

Rear window shattered while parked and rear window defroster working.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Dec 072013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the liftgate window was found to be shattered. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that they could not diagnose the cause of failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 37,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- 202-578-7868, VA, USA

Sep 012013

I was T-boned while making a right hand turn in the driver's door. I was driving the car. The damage resulted in $15,500 + resulting in a total loss. I went to the er suffering from head trauma. I sustained a significant concussion, was out of work for 1 week. My air bags never went off.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jan 092013

Escape 6-cyl

It was about 30 degrees and my 13 year old daughter went to put a item in my 2011 Ford Escape parked in my drive way. Upon closing the rear lift gate the glass shattered into tiny pieces. This caused scratches and other body damage to the vehicle when the hydraulic arms and wiper blade assembly gave way when the glass shattered. The vehicle is 2 years old and under warranty. I called the dealer where I purchased it and was told to turn it into my insurance. No other help was offered!!! mind you its 30 degrees out and I have 2 young children and live in a rural area. I did as I was told and reported to my insurance co. They tried to hook me up with several glass places with no luck. The closest was 35 miles away and said it would be about 2 weeks to get the glass because its not something they have in stock. I had to drive to a local mechanic with no rear window in the middle of winter with two kids just to get it covered with plastic so I could have a car to drive. Am I wrong to think Ford could have done more to help"??"

- Mineville, NY, USA

Jan 062013

Escape 4-cyl

After unloading items from rear cargo area, tailgate was closed, and the rear tailgate window exploded in my face spontaneously. It seemed as if the reciprocating arms perhaps did not collapse completely and went through the window. An individual who assisted in cleaning up the debris was cut by the glass.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Nov 212012

I filled my gas tank at a holiday gas station/store in escanaba, mi about 6 P.M., November 21 while traveling. I filled the tank, locked the vehicle, and went into the store for a snack. When I returned to the vehicle, an employee was sweeping up glass from my back window which she heard explode. The window was completely gone. There was nothing against the back window or the hatch back that would cause stress. Fishing equipment was lying flat on the floor. I drove 200 miles home with no window. Besides the employee witness, I filed a police report with the escanaba police. I contacted a Ford dealership and was told to take pictures. I sent documentation along with the pictures to the dealership. That was not good enough for Ford. I was told to take the car to the dealership where the body repair manager took pictures and sent them to Ford who came back denying the warranty coverage on the glass "because it cannot be proven that this was a Ford glass defect. I drove 200 miles round trip wasting an afternoon of my time. I have contact and talked with Ford customer relations a half dozen time. I asked the witness to call Ford customer relations to verify that I was not even in the vehicle at the time of the glass explosion. Glass few from 10 to 15 feet in small, deadly pieces. Luckily, I or someone else was not standing behind the car. I have not opened the back window for months finding it easier to remove item by lifting the hatchback door. In contacting Ford customer relations, I was told that once a decision has been made, it could not be reversed. I asked to speak to someone in authority and was told that once a decision was made by Ford, it could not be reversed and was given an address to write my complaint.

- Ironwood, MI, USA

Dec 212011

Escape 4-cyl

I pulled into a parking space next to the building where I work and the vehicle surged forward and hit the brick wall, broke a window and dented the building ac unit. Damage to my vehicle hood, bumper and grille. Cost to repair $4282.75. September 25,2012 I took it to the Ford dealer where it was purchased because it continues to surg forward on a daily basis. They were unable to find anything wrong with the vehicle.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 092011

Rear windshield exploded when my colleague was putting his belongings in the back of my SUV. Brand new car and the the car wasn't turned for more than 5 minutes.

- Deer Park, TX, USA