2011 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Jun 132013

Escape 4-cyl

I was traveling about 30 miles per hour when the car lost power. It also started bucking and I was barely able to drive it into a gas station. The car was towed to the dealership where it was purchased (bethlehem Ford). I was told that a it is a power train, throttle quadrant problem and the part is on national backorder... not expected to be in until July 15th.

- Emmaus, PA, USA

Apr 282013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The first of 4 incidents occurred while driving on the belt parkway in brooklyn NY. I was driving at a speed of 65 mph in the left lane on a stretch of highway with no shoulder on the left side of the road when I lost all pedal power. I wasn't able to accelerate. The engine was running and all the electronics were working properly except for not being able to accelerate. The small icon of a wrench appeared on the dash. I managed to cross three lanes of heavy traffic to the right shoulder. I put the vehicle in park and stepped on the accelerator to rev the engine, nothing happened. It seemed like there was no gas getting to the engine. I then shut down the engine and checked the owners manual for the icon of the wrench. The description of the wrench icon states that a throttle control/powertrain fault has been detected and I should contact an authorized dealer as soon as possible. Upon contacting the dealer he indicated that they have been having a problem with the throttle body on my make and model and also stated that my warranty had expired and there was no recall issued for this problem. The cost was my responsibility. I proceeded to have them order me a new throttle body. The lead time would be 2-3 weeks for the new part. During that time the same problem has happened 3 more times, 2 of which were at a speed of 65 mph and 1 time starting off from a red light at a speed of less that 10 mph. After researching this problem on line I have found this to be a major issue and a recall for the throttle body should be issued and repairs made by Ford at no cost to the owners. I feel that I was put in a very dangerous life threatening position.

- Holmdel, NJ, USA

Jun 232013

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

Driving vehicle on 6/23/13 approximately 30 mph and it suddenly lost acceleration and began to jerk forward. "wrench" indicator appeared on dash. Pulled vehicle over and waited; however, problem continued. Vehicle would only move forward at less than 5 mph while jerking as it traveled. Have had constant problems with this vehicle since purchase. A couple months after purchase on 2011, while traveling on an interstate at 70 mph, the vehicle completely lost acceleration, almost causing a serious crash. Vehicle was pulled to side of road and towed to dealership where they had to replace the catalytic converter. Since that time, the transmission has been shifting hard and creating noises; however, the dealership has been unable find a problem. Today, the vehicle "died" again and had to be pulled of the road. Have had vehicle in the service department repeatedly to address issue; however, no fix has been provided. Now, just after the warranty expired (currently 39,104) the vehicle has failed again.

- Bellaire, OH, USA

May 312013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling the interstate, the engine suddenly dropped to approximately 600 RPM and subsequently down shifted to low gear. I found myself in the inside lane, during rush-hour traffic, decelerating from 70mph to 5mph with no place to go. I was lucky, but not popular. The check engine light (wrench) came on and I slowly found my way to the emergency lane. After turning off the engine and restarting, everything was ok. This happened another time with, pretty much, the same story. The Ford dealership diagnosed the problem as a bad/stuck throttle body. I've been waiting for them to fix the problem, but they do not have the necessary parts and apparently very little interest. Ford corporate says they will help with the cost, but will not return my calls, so I'm left to wonder about that.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Jun 192013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling at approximately 60mph when my Ford Escape completely stalled and S service light came on. As I tried to move out of traffic I was nearly hit by multiple vehicles coming from both directions. I had the vehicle towed to the Ford dealership assuming this would be covered under power train warranty. After explaining to the service department what had happened, before they looked at my vehicle, they knew exactly what it was. Apparently, the problem with the throttle body is so common they can't keep the parts in stock. This problem causes the vehicle to stall or surge forward, usually at rates of speed exceeding 40mph. I was informed that Ford does not consider this part of the power train. $401.04 later I had my vehicle back. As I was paying the service cashier informed me that this was the 12th that had fixed that week (it was only Wednesday) and to hold onto my receipt because it really should be recalled.

- Pensacola , FL, USA

Jun 152013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the expressway crg G5 at 45mph the engine stalled, with no more power supplied to the car and it rolled to a full stop. The electronic throttle did not operate to accelerate or drive the car any more. The vehicle had to be towed away. The check-engine light and 'wrench' light are on, the associated dtc code is P2112.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

When traveling on highway, vehicle suddenly goes into a limp mode and the "wrench" warning light comes on. Vehicle is able to travel perhaps 30 seconds to one minute further unable to accelerate and seemed to be forced deceleration. I pulled over and turned the car off. I turned the car back on after a few seconds and the warning light was no longer illuminated and I was able to proceed to my destination. Per manual, the "wrench" warning light is for throttle/power train and illuminates when a power train fault has been detected. Have appointment with dealer service in two days.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 122013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down freeway, my car started to feel like I had let off the gas. When I pushed the accelerator, nothing happened. I pulled the car over and it was shaking violently and going about 5mph. A little wrench light came on. I turned the car off and back on and the light was gone and the car ran fine. I continued home and had to turn left into my subdivision. As I slowed down to turn, the same thing happened and I had to put the car into park, turn it off and back on. The dealership said it is the throttle body and not covered under my powertrain warranty or any warranty.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 092013

Escape

I was driving 70mph down the interstate and I lost all power and my wrench light came on. I coasted to the side of the road put it in park and it started right up and light went off. Today I could feel it losing power I went to dealership and they said they could not help me if I didn't pay the $85 to put on computer. I told them my car had done the exact same thing that others had reported and it was their throttle body. On my way to work I could feel is lugging but so far today it hasn't stopped. Very dangerous due to the fact the I have several children in my Escape daily.

- Kenna, WV, USA

Jun 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power in drive and decelerated. Ford service diagnosed failure of the throttle body.

- Canton, GA, USA

Jun 092013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 65 mph on a state highway and suddenly, without warning, the "monkey wrench" light turned on and I no longer had any throttle. I still had steering control and brakes. I had to immediately pull off the road. The car sputtered and I turned the ignition off. I restarted the car and was able to put it in drive. As I began picking up speed on the highway, I again lost all throttle control and had no power when I pressed on the gas pedal. I had a few miles to get home, and this occurred two more times. The only way I could drive was to be in the right lane and be ready to pull off the road. I am very fortunate I was not driving during peak traffic hours. The immediate loss of throttle power would have been very challenging to navigate around other cars.

- Mars, PA, USA

May 312013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle surged after a stop and would not go. Had to coast off side of road and shut down and re-start vehicle. Has done this multiple times. The throttle body was the culprit per the Ford technician. Part is backordered due to high demand for part. The throttle body is the highest part on order through Ford, indicating an issue with this.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Feb 152013

Escape 6-cyl

The SUV starts slowing down, losing power and the wrench light comes on. I pulled over, cut SUV off wait about 15min and start SUV back up L wrench light is not on. No incident again until May 30,2013 and June 1, 2013. Took vehicle to darcars on June 3,2013, dealer not able to duplicate incident.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 092013

Escape

I was driving down the road and all of a sudden my car started slowing down and my gas pedal would not accelerate my car. When I pulled over, my car was jumping on the side of the road. Once I took it to 2 different dealerships, got stranded on the side of the road 4 times, paid $80 for them to run some tests and tell me there was nothing wrong with my car at the first dealership, the second dealership then speculated that it was my throttle body. When I asked them to fix it, I was told the part was on national backorder and there was no telling how long it would be before they got the part in. So they sent me away in my broken car and told me the problem would probably start occurring more frequently until it was fixed. If that is not a clue to the Ford company that they need to do a recall, then I do not know what is. Everyone is obviously experiencing these problems and it happened to me 1,000 miles outside of my warranty. I am irate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ## VIN failed ##

- Troy, AL, USA

May 232013

Escape 6-cyl

I was idling at a stand-still on the highway (or very close to a stand-still - may have been rolling at approx. 5 miles per hour) as traffic came to a stop due to a lane merge ahead. When traffic started to slowly move forward again, I took my foot off the brake and stepped on the gas pedal to accelerate forward but the car did not move. I tried stepping on the gas pedal once more and again the car would not move forward. Since the car was still in drive gear, I managed to get the car to roll into the shoulder of the road on its own to get out of the way of traffic. Car started to buck and vibrate when I tried using the gas pedal again to accelerate forward in the shoulder and would still not move forward. I noticed then that the orange wrench icon was lit up on the dash. I then put the car in park and turned the engine off as I felt it was no longer safe to drive. Had to call a tow truck to tow the vehicle to the dealership. Dealership diagnosed the problem as an issue with the throttle body and said it was not covered under warranty as it was an electronic/external part. Had bought the car brand new in Dec 2010. I was disappointed that the car was less than 2 1/2 years old and had a major problem that could have led to a dangerous situation. I was moving slowly in a construction zone during holiday traffic when the incident occurred, and I was lucky that I was not in a busy intersection or traveling at a high rate of speed when I lost acceleration due to the throttle body problem.

- Dover, DE, USA

May 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Traveling at 35 mph, heard a noise and lost all but limp home mode power. No shoulder on the road and created a dangerous lane blockage. Had to be towed to dealer that does not have the needed part. Told it is on national back order. We have extended warranty with rental coverage but since the part is not available they will not pay for rental waiting for the part.

- Purcellville, VA, USA

May 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle went into limp mode on major highway. Was able to coast off without incident. Ford company is unable to find replacement part for the throttle bottle, assuming in high demand. Was informed no longer under warranty. There needs to be a recall.

- Whitehouse, TX, USA

May 202013

Escape

Driving approximately 60mph on a busy road my acceleration quit and only the RPM revved up when I pressed the accelerator until the truck landed me on the side of the road. When the acceleration stopped it was immediate and it felt like the engine jerked and died even though it was technically still running (idling) while in motion. The vehicle jerked and shook as it slowed until it died.

- Raymond, MS, USA

May 152013

Escape 6-cyl

Wife pulled out of the driveway and vehicle lost all power and went into limp home mode. She stopped the vehicle, put it into park and turned the car off. First attempt to restart vehicle failed, second attempt, vehicle started and wrench symbol illuminated and stayed on approximately 20 miles until she arrived at work. She has also been experiencing intermittent surging forward while driving and transmission banging into reverse when backing out of the driveway. The rpms have been surging sporadically when cranking the car. Took the car to Ford dealer on Friday, 17 May 2013, received a call from service rep. Saying that the throttle body assembly had to be replaced, but however, part is on backorder and they are searching nationwide for the part to fix the problem. He also stated that he didn't feel comfortable returning the vehicle for my wife to drive until the part is found due to the possibility of her having a accident. However, until then, we are out a vehicle, because it is not safe to drive. Fortunately, the vehicle is still under warranty. I would like to know what is the magic number for nthsb to force Ford into issuing a recall for this problem, how many people have to be injured or die for this to happen "?????"

- Summerville, SC, USA

May 122013

Escape

I was moving into traffic and the car suddenly surged forward and then stalled down to a rough idle. The wench symbol was illuminated and the engine light came on with a code of P2111. Throttle body actuator failure - stuck open.

- Durham, NC, USA