2011 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

May 012013

Escape 6-cyl

My daughter was driving the car in Florida going approximately 45 mph. The red light with a wrench came on and the car would not accelerate. She finally got pulled over to the side of the highway and called the dealership in orlando. They told her it could be a throttle body problem or it could just be trying to reset. They suggested she turn everything off (which she already had) and restart in a few minutes. She restarted and everything seemed fine. About a week later, the same thing happened, only worse, and she took the car in to the dealership. It seemed to happen as she was turning a corner. She had to restart the car 3 or 4 times on the way to the dealership. They ran a diagnostic test and said the throttle body needed to be replaced. So far, it's been a week and it is still not fixed because they cannot find the part. She has had to rent a car until the Escape is fixed. Another expense! evidently, 45,000 of these throttle bodies have been replaced and they are using the parts up as fast as they can make them. How safe can this be"?"!!! we plan to have it repaired, but we should not have to pay for this Ford problem.

- Manitou, KY, USA

May 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost acceleration but still had power, brakes, etc. After slowing down, pulled over and tried selecting different, gears, etc but vehicle would not move. Wrench indicating engine problem was on. After turning vehicle off, restarted vehicle and the car was able to move. Vehicle had same problem on way to dealer. Computer trouble codes were not stored. This seems to be the same problem that a lot of people have had. Vehicle is a 2011 Ford Escape fwd limited with 3.0 V6.

- Plant City, FL, USA

May 062013

Escape

I have a 2011 Ford Escape and was traveling down the road when the car quit moving forward on its engine power. I had to pull off the road and re-start my vehicle to make it run correctly. I took it to the local Ford dealership and found out that the throttle body was defective. This seems to be an issue with some Ford vehicles ( according to the service mgr it is more of an issue with the Fusion but they are seeing it with the Escape also). Of course I'm out of warranty by 10,000 miles and the repair is $750. I feel like Ford is side stepping this and I consider this a serious safety issue. If mine was not the norm I could understand but the fact that even the part is hard to get and Ford is the only manufacturer of it is very frustrating. Needless to say--I'm going back to GM.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Apr 252013

Escape 6-cyl

My Escape had been running rough today and decided maybe I needed to take it on the interstate. While doing about 65 the "open wrench" light came on and I lost complete power. I could not accelerate or anything else for that matter. I coasted to the emergency lane. I put the car in park and restarted the Escape and was able to make it home. I had read about numerous other related issues on this problem with the Ford Escape. I am glad I was in the right hand land and not the left lane; it could have been very dangerous.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Apr 192013

Escape 6-cyl

In rush hour traffic, the wrench light comes on driving 60 mph car slowed down, would not accelerated, jerked, , was able to exit, turned off restarted, made it work ok, drove home about 22 miles, no problem. Went for dinner stopped at red light, would not go wrench light came on again, turn off restart, taken to dealer on Saturday morning was told not part of powertrain. Cost $531 for repair, very dangerous and unsafe to drive on a major road in dallas..

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Apr 112013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down a road going approx. 50mph, I suddenly, and without warning, lost power to the vehicle. Pulled over to the side of the road and while applying the brakes, it would tend to lunge forward. Once stopped, I placed in park, shut off engine the attempted to start up again. It did start up, however, it happened 2 more times later that day. I would hate for this to happen while trying to make a left hand turn with oncoming traffic....could be deadly!!! Ford needs to step up to the plate and make this right as I have now read far too many complaints about this exact same thing. The next occurrence could be injury or even death. I should note that as of 1 week later, I have not had the problem fixed yet and the incident described above has happened at least 2 times per day now.

- Greenacres, FL, USA

Apr 142013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle purchased January 2013 with ~37K miles. First month of ownership, I had code indicating a fuel delivery problem but it cleared on its own. I attributed it to bad gas, though it may have been the warning sign I missed. Today on the highway at approximately 60mph, it felt like the vehicle shifted out of sequence, noticing the lack of power/low rpms I tried to give it gas to no avail. I safely navigated to the shoulder as it coasted down to a stop. The orange wrench lit up. Upon stopping the car sputtered hard and threatened to stall. The gas pedal was useless. I shut the car off, shut off the radio/ac and gave it a moment. It restarted with minor hesitation. The orange wrench had cleared but the check engine light came in (it stayed in through the remainder of this post). It idled ok, allowed me to administer fuel and rev the engine. Thinking the problem had passed, I merged back onto the highway and came up to speed. About a half a mile later I felt the noted loss of engine power (I believe this is the "limp-home" method that is cited in some things I have read today). Again, my gas pedal is useless and I re-engage the hazards and move off of the road. This time the car does not stall but idles around 900rpm with some sputtering. Gas pedal is still useless. I rinse and repeat the above process a third time, when it does the same thing another half mile later, I give up and call a more car savoy friend. His first guess is also fuel pump/something clogged but we are both baffled because the symptoms are not consistent with any condition we have ever encountered. Deciding it could be nursed home, the fourth attempt at starting it, I made the last 2 miles staying 40mph or below. There was no sputtering/loss of fuel delivery capabilities during this attempt. After some research, it sounds like the common throttle body issues found me...

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Jun 292012

Escape

While depressing brake to stop at red light or stop sign, engine surges with forced acceleration. Must hit the brake hard to hold the vehicle from going on its own. Surge lasts a long time and I must put the car in park and turn off the engine. Last time car was still surging when I restarted the vehicle, had to turn off car again. This has happened 4 times and my vehicle is still under warranty. The dealership claims they cannot fix the vehicle unless they can see this happen.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA

Dec 142012

Escape 6-cyl

When the weather started getting colder, the transmission started out hard to shift. I travel for work and when I am in heavy traffic it is dangerous, because it takes a while for the car to shift out. When it does finally shift, it is a hard shift and hard to control.

- Cherokee Village, AR, USA

Mar 042013

Escape 4-cyl

My 2011 Ford Escape has now had service three times in two years for "bucking/slipping" in the transmission. The "bucking/slipping" is experienced with all gears but generally worse between 2nd and 3rd and just starting out. It is also bad when the car has been idle for many days. All three times its been in for service at the Ford dealer they say its the adaptive transmission that is the culprit. They redo the algorithms its fine for a week then goes back to normal. The latest service also included having the transmission axle seals replaced.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Feb 152013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle was running rough at idle and check engine light was on. At stop lights, stop signs, or any idle time car would buck forward like it was going to stall.

- Seabrook, NH, USA

Feb 252013

Escape

We were just pulling out onto the highway when the car lost all power. It jerked forward and then stopped. We were stopped on the highway and could not get the car to forward. I turned the car off waited a few minutes and then tried again. The car again jerked forward went a short distance and then shut down again, on the highway. Luckily we were only a mile or so from the dealership where we bought the car. We turned the car off and started it 5 times and were able to get the mile to the dealership. When this first happened, a wrench appeared on the dash, signaling a powertrain issue and to get to the dealership as soon as possible. After the car was looked at by the mechanic at the dealership it was determined that it was a defective throttle body and would cost $400 to repair. According to the dealership, this is a major issue for Ford, and I don't understand why something so serious that it can cause a serious accident or death is not being recalled. I guess Ford doesn't want the cost to repair their defective parts and obviously does not care about the safety of its customers or the lawsuit that will follow. For this reason, I have notified all of my family and friends not to buy another Ford. I would hope that the NHTSA would be concerned about the safety of our citizens and make a recall mandatory, not give in to the mighty Ford company and their lack of concern.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Aug 212012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate at 70mph when my car seemed to just completely lose power. I had to coast to the side of the road, put the car in park, turn it off and restart it. The incident happened exactly the same a couple other times. Also happen once when in the middle of the city. I was at a busy intersection and the car lost power in the middle of the intersection. I was not able to go anywhere until I turned off the car and restarted it. I was nearly T-boned at 5 months pregnant. Dealer was having a hard time figuring out what was wrong but finally figured out that it was something wrong with the drive train which caused the engine to stall.

- Stockport, OH, USA

Feb 102013

Escape 6-cyl

Three times while traveling at 60+ mph on the interstate the vehicle lost all throttle response and a yellow wrench illuminated on the instrument panel. Trying to navigate from the left lane across 3 lanes of highspeed rush hour traffic was very dangerous. I took the vehicle to the local dealer as soon as possible and was told it was a bad throttle body. This incident could have resulted in serious injury.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Jan 312013

Escape 6-cyl

I was making a right turn as I straighten out my car from the turn my car lost power. I had my foot on the gas but wasn't going forward and the vehicle was shaking really bad. The ironic thing is I felt a tug here and there before but I thought I was being paranoid. I don't think I was!!! thank goodness I had turned out of traffic. I didn't want to turn it on again I remembered I had a tow card from when I bought my vehicle. If this is some defect I need to know. I had my last vehicle for 11 years and never did something like this happen. I bought a new car so that I don't get stranded and I did get stranded. I had it towed to maxwell Ford after they tested it today I was told it was the throttle body.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 252012

Escape 6-cyl

As I was pulling away from the intersection, I lost all throttle. I had no power at all, it wanted to stall and I had nowhere to pull over from the inside lane. The driver behind me almost rear ended me. I had to stop in the middle of traffic with my hazard lights on. This is a serious safety issue, this should not happen on a new vehicle that has only 36,000 miles.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jan 042013

Escape 6-cyl

There have been several different occasions where my car will not accelerate during cold weather months. January 4, 2013 was when I nearly got into an accident because of it. One morning when I was on my way to work, I pulled out onto a main road and my car's acceleration drastically slowed down (to about 5-10 mph on a 40mph road). The vehicle behind me almost slammed right into me because my brake lights were not on (and why would they be? I had my foot on the gas petal trying to make it go!) the fact that Ford doesn't acknowledge this problem is scary! I am honestly concerned that one day this will cause me to get into a serious accident.

- Maynard, MA, USA

Jan 042013

Escape 6-cyl

Turned onto my street on my way home from work and all of a sudden couldn't give the car any gas. Notice wrench light came on. Coasted into driveway turned car off-waited a few and turned back on. No light and car seemed fine. Next day took car out and just after getting on highway car did the same thing this time the check engine light came on as well. Turned off and on and wrench light went off but engine light stayed on. Drove directly to dealership. Was told it was the throttle body got stuck and was being replaced. Very dangerous when driving on busy roads!

- Yukon, OK, USA

Mar 102011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

After stopping and upon acceleration the engine completely shuts down and the car stalls. After putting the car in park and restarting the car, it runs okay. This has happened to me 4 times over a 23 month period. Each time I have taken the vehicle to the dealership. The first two times I was told the car was still breaking in and it must be due to the gas I was using. The third time, they replaced the throttle body. To my knowledge the "wrench" light only came on once. They said they had a number of vehicles that this had happened with and replacing the throttle body helped. Three weeks after they replaced the throttle body, it happened again! this time only the engine light came on. Ford says they need a code to try to fix the problem. The dealership told me that there was one other person, who has the same make and model as mine that this is happening too. This person also had the throttle body replaced. The fact that no code is tripped is a problem in itself! please help! I do not want anyone to be killed because of this problem.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Dec 122012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 60 mph, the power train warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder but the contact was able to be restart and drive the vehicle. The vehicle was driven to the dealer however, the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 20,690. Updated 01/05/13 updated 02/11/2013

- Hicksville, NY, USA