2011 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 12 of 12)

Oct 242012

Escape 6-cyl

2011 Ford Escape was being driven @ 55 mph in traffic & it suddenly lost power. Orange wrench appeared, motor running rough. Steered to emergency lane. Turned off ignition, waited, re-started. I went on to my meeting the to the Ford dealership near where I work. They said to drive it there (if possible) next time without cutting off the engine. Two days later (local dealership closed) while driving 55 mph, rainy night, county road, no "emergency lane", was able to get pulled over (not always an option on a country road). Daughter was with me - frightened her. Turned it off, restarted. Next day (Saturday) I took it to local Ford dealer. Said need the light on, but would see if the diagnostics told anything. Borrowed car from my daughter. This was inconvenience to me and her. Dealer called Monday, said it clears the code each time the car is re-started. They kept my vehicle overnight. Did it again with the mechanic driving. He drove it at about 10-15 mph to the dealership. I got online and there are many issues involving throttles. Many recalls, but not on my model. On Tuesday afternoon diagnostics showed it was the throttle. This is a safety related defect & it should be immediately recalled. I drive about 60 miles a day on the interstate & I need my vehicle to be dependable. If a semi truck came up behind me it could have caused a wreck, or even loss of life. I love my Escape & have been a loyal Ford customer. Sometimes you just have to admit there's a problem & make things right. Ford should resolve this once and for all. I picked it up last night & am driving it today. I will be in fear of it happening every time I drive this vehicle. My vehicle has low mileage, is maintained regularly. This should not have happened, nor should I have to pay repairs. I would like a refund on the repair costs.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Sep 272012

Escape 6-cyl

Intermittently lose throttle response, engine returns to idle, gas pedal does not respond. This has happened on highway and local roads and creates dangerous situation. Dealer has been able to duplicate problem but not able to repair.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Sep 272012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the wrench light came on and the car just died, had to pull over, the 2nd time I was going on a busy interstate and going about 70 mph I was lucky there was a place to pull off the road, but then the check engine light came on, and stayed on for the entire trip. When I arrived home and shut the car off and started it again the light was off. I looked into this since I have elderly people I take to and from dr. Visits and this seems to be an ongoing problem since 2005, I have read the complaints on line, my question is does someone have to be in a bad accident or even die before Ford will resolve this problem?

- Shelbyville, TN, USA

Aug 182012

8/18/12 while driving on the interstate at 60 mph my truck suddenly lost power. The wrench light on the dash came on and the truck began to slow down in the mist of traffic. I was in the middle lane and needed to pull over to the emergency lane. After much effort I was able to do so. It was a very scary situation. I waited a few minutes before restarting the engine. It started up okay and I pulled out and stayed in the right lane. A fourth of a mile later it did it again. This time the engine light came on. Cars were blowing there horns and I almost got hit a couple of times. My daughter was in the car with me it scared her so bad she began to cry. We were a good distance from home. I did not know what to do or what was going on with the truck. I'd only had it four months. If there were other complaints about this happening, why hasn't something been done" a recall maybe? does someone have to die ?????"

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 232012

While traveling 80mph on the interstate, my 2011 Ford Escape with 27000 miles suddenly lost power as a wrench indicator light came on the dashboard. The gas pedal would not accelerate to pull onto shoulder or to move around traffic. All fuel acceleration was lost. As I finally coasted to the shoulder, narrowly avoiding being the cause of multiple accidents, the vehicle starting shaking. I turned the car off, waited a few minutes, and turned the car back on. The wrench indicator light (powertrain indication) remained off and the vehicle acted normal. There was not an indication before or after the incident of any faulty systems or parts. The vehicle did this without any reason, leaving me in a dangerous situation. The vehicle has been properly maintained and running without any problems since I purchased the vehicle until this incident. I fear it may happen again without reason and place my life and those of my passengers in harms' way.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 122012

Escape 6-cyl

While I was driving 55 mph on the interstate in the middle lane when suddenly, with no warning, we were no longer able to get enough throttle to continue moving forward. We had to coast to the side of the road. We were almost rear-ended, I really thought we were going to be killed. It is a very scary situation, going from 55 mph to nothing. The throttle body failed completely and had to be replaced. After doing research on this I have found that many other people have had this same experience, including my sisters 2010 Ford Escape with only 45000 miles on it. I had just had my 30,000 mile service done on my vehicle two weeks prior and asked them to please check the throttle body since it had happened to my sister, and it was fine at that time. I believe something needs to be done before someone is killed. When I asked what was to keep this from happening again I was told, "nothing, it could happen again at any time". when I asked if there was a recall on it, I was told, "I have been waiting on a recall on this for two years." I was told this from a Ford service person at the Ford place that repaired my vehicle in Indiana. I have reported this to Ford at the 800-392-Ford number that the same Ford service worker gave me when I asked if there was some place I could call about this situation to help get a recall. I no longer feel safe in my vehicle.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 232012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Last year I purchased a 2011 Ford Escape and have been completely dissatisfied with my purchase. The selling dealer, tower Ford in great neck, New York has done absolutely nothing to help me rectify my serious complaint and concerns with my vehicle. One of my biggest concerns is that the transmission slips, the accelerator pedal sticks, the brakes are very low, and a swishing liquid noise is heard in the fuel tank when stopping, the right side rear passenger door squeaks, and the center console is loose. I've brought my truck back to this dealer many times and all I receive is that they can not verify my complaint and concerns. I am concerned for my family and my safety. Any help would be appreciated.

- Bayside, NY, USA

Nov 222010

Escape 4-cyl

When vehicle parked and then started and foot on brake went to put selector in reverse and and nothing happened and when it engaged into reverse it engage loud and hard into gear and has done this about 3 times now in the last several months.

- Fairborn, OH, USA

Jul 232011

Escape 6-cyl

While towing my 2011 Ford Escape limited behind my rv bus, the transmission burned up. I did everything that was taught to me by Ford dealership in gurnee, il, camping world in fox lake, il and the Ford manual. The madison, Tennessee Ford dealership tried to blame roadmaster for the problem. Roadmaster is the maker of the towing system (bars, electrical wiring for lights and the even brake system). That made no sense at all. I challenged them on that and then they asked me to go over what I do to tow the vehicle and after I explained all the steps, they said that I did everything correctly. I drove no faster than 60 mph in my whole trip (Chicago to nashville) and even stopped every 3-4 hours to start the vehicle and go through the gears, as taught. This vehicle has 7600 miles on it and just 1200 miles towing on it. Seems to me that this dealership and Ford does not want to admit that its own transmission did not want to lube itself to keep it from burning up. Ford has not answered any of my 2 emails sent to them about this and the dealership just keeps brushing me off. They also told me they needed permission from me to take apart the transmission to see what they need to replace. Why, I do not know that they needed permission. I had it towed there to get repaired. It is clearly some defect within the transmission, they just do not want to own up to it. The consumer sent in an update via portable: Just wanted to give you an update on this. Ford called me yesterday afternoon and said that they will pay for everything now. I told them I was doing these complaints and finally someone called me. So, unknown if you still want to post it or not. I wanted to let you know of this. It may take a week or so before I can get my car, the dealership is claiming it may take that long to get the parts.

- Deerfield, IL, USA