2011 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 12)

Aug 152013

Escape 6-cyl

My Ford would not accelerate, it sputtered and went dead. It would not restart. It had done this before but previously I could restart it. Dealership replaced throttle body.

- Gadsden, AL, USA

May 202014

Escape 6-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle it operates as it should, once the RPM slow to an idle the vehicle will surge and stall at idle. At slow speeds (10-20 mph) the vehicle will surge and stall when the throttle is applied. The vehicle shuts down and steering and braking abilities are minimal, the vehicle will surge at speeds of 45mph however it does not stall at this speed. On the highway at a speed of 70 mph the vehicle will surge slightly, however it is not as noticeable of an event as at slower speeds.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

Apr 242014

Escape 6-cyl

During rush hour traffic on a busy highway, while attempting to accelerate from approximately 50 mph, the gas pedal become unresponsive, I began quickly losing speed, and a "wrench" light came on. I was in the right hand lane with a wide shoulder and was able to pull over before slowing to a complete halt. Had I been in a center lane or on a stretch with no shoulder, there could have easily been a severe accident. The engine sputtered and surged as I came to a stop. When I was completely stopped and shifted into park, the service engine light also came on. The vehicle was to towed to maxwell Ford (austin, tx), and the reported cause was "failed R&R throttle."

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 122014

Escape 6-cyl

My daughter was driving on interstate 10 East of tallahassee, Florida the vehicle warning light (wrench) came on and the vehicle began to slow down. The engine was still on but there was no power. She pulled to the side of the road, cut the engine off, and called home. I asked to start the engine to see what would happen. She did and the vehicle pulled off like nothing had happen. The second incident happen when I was going over an over pass on interstate 10 yesterday. I pull over on the side of the road, cut the engine off, waited ten second started up and drove off.

- Jasper, FL, USA

Apr 142014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving normally, at a constant speed, and all of a sudden, wrench light comes on, gas pedal didn't do anything. Putting it in park and shutting the engine, and starting again makes the light go away and run fine again.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Apr 122014

Escape 4-cyl

Engine suddenly lost power several countless times during a 300 mile journey on a highway. I almost crashed vehicle during the early occurrences.

- Accra, Ghana, WI, USA

Aug 012013

Escape

Transmission slips twice and jerks forward when first driven cold.........very dangerous when entering a busy highway................took to palm springs motors 3 times and the problems was never solved...........they told me that they could not solve the problem and to drive it until it breaks down and then they could tell what the problem is................this is unacceptable and needs to be taken care by Ford asap................

- Cathedral City , CA, USA

Aug 302013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

My first incident occurred on Friday, August 30, 2013. I lost power and acceleration with absolutely no warning at all. I observed that the wrench light was on and noticed that the car was shuddering. I turned the ignition all the way off and sat for a minute and turned the car back on. It started fine and I immediately took the car to a mechanic nearby. I left the car for 4 days while out of town and the mechanic informed me upon my return that they were unable to diagnose the problem or repeat the problem, so I retrieved my car hoping that it was just a one time incident. The same occurrence happened twice more on September 6, 2013; this time in rush hour traffic and it was in very hazardous and unsafe conditions. I was able to coast to the side of the road and turn the car off without further incident. I'm surprised that Ford has not already issued a recall on this particular problem. Someone could get hurt and this vehicle is very unsafe with this potential power train problem. I took it upon myself to do some research and I see complaints on other Ford models and the Escape as far back as 2008. Shame on Ford. I will be taking the car to a Ford service dealer on Monday, August 9, 2013. I love the Escape (this is my second one) and have purchased nothing but Ford products. I will seriously consider another make for my next vehicle purchase. Ford should absolutely do the right thing and issue a recall.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Feb 222014

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle jerked violently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 44,000.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jan 302014

Escape 6-cyl

When pressing on the gas the car shifts really hard. Then it seems like there is no get up and go afterwards. The transmission is shifting hard.

- Pekin, IL, USA

Oct 152013

Escape

Ever since we bought our 2011 Ford Escape (used in fl--had to drive it to wa state due to military pcs army orders) the car has never gotten more than 20 mpg. It was hesitating consistently after we put 5,000 miles on the car. It started hesitating/ revving rpms at stop/jumping/accelerating then engine would just shut off and power as well. Finally stalled on joint base lewis mcchord, wa (where we are stationed and live) and my husband could not get it to start. The "check engine light" was also then showing. We had it towed to the nearest Ford dealership (lakewood Ford). We had a platinum warranty we paid extra for with our monthly payments. Even with that we still had to get an aer (army emergency relief) loan for the difference (appx. $187) that was not covered. We were entitled to rental car coverage but the Ford dealership did not contact our warranty company in time so we were without a vehicle for 4 days. That was barely 3 months ago. They ended up replacing the throttle body regulator. Again...here it is less than 3 months since that was replaced and we are only getting 18.2 miles to the gallon. It is worse when we use the flex fuel. It barely has 47,000 miles and it is unpredictable and I feel unsafe in this car. My husband is being medically boarded from active duty army because he is 100% disabled and a "wounded warrior." The only comfort I have is seeing that we aren't the only ones who have dealt with this problem. That is terrible to say but it is even worse when you cannot rely on a vehicle you bought only 1 year used. We are facing having to drive this back to orlando, fl and now we will probably voluntarily turn it in to the loan company simply because neither one of us feel safe enough to attempt to drive it 3500 miles across the United States, along with the medical concerns.

- Jblm, WA, USA

Dec 202012

Escape 6-cyl

Car would violently buck while loosing power. Wrench light came on then disappeared. Seams to be a random ghost that visits every 2 weeks. Had map sensor replaced under warranty then 2 wks later happened again. This time paid for throttle body. 2 wks went by and it happened again. This time didn't. go to dealer. Not sure but I think it might be throttle body again if it is infact the problem. Car sucks. Same problem over and over.

- Farmington, CT, USA

Oct 152013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the freeway the car suddenly surged for a second and then lost all power. There was no gas going to the engine and I could not produce any speed. I had to coast to a stop while moving over in the freeway lane to the shoulder. When I did stop, the engine sounded like it had trouble getting fuel to it. I turned off the engine and sat for a second and when I turned the car back on it started up and would go. Over the past months this has happened on and off. Some days it drives fine and then all of a sudden it will do the same aspect.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Dec 302013

Escape 6-cyl

Accelerated from a stop and car lurched and engine seemed about to quit, got "wrench light" and was able to creep to get into parking lot. Took car to dealer and they ran diagnostics on car and said the throttle body needed to be replaced.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jan 152014

Escape

As my wife was driving one morning the Ford Escape with out warning started to feel like there was no throttle when she stepped in the gas. She immediately pulled to the side of the road (coasting because the gas peddle wasn't responding. A little wrench (throttle body/powertrain) light came on, on the dash. This happened twice on this day, both times out of the blue. The Ford dealership looked at it and it was the throttle body. This shouldn't happen on a vehicle so new and such low mileage.

- Ronkonkoma , NY, USA

Dec 272013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on 5 lanre paved road at 50 mph when engine lost power did not stall. No throttle response. Was able to shift into neutral and coast into parking lot shut off engine and restarted problem went away. Took to dealer 3 days later where throttle body was replaced under warranty.

- Blacklick, OH, USA

Jun 142013

Escape

I have already filed one complaint regarding the throttle body on my 2011 Ford Escape. I had to pay out of pocket to have it fixed in July and 3 weeks after I paid to have it fixed it started messing up again. The throttle body hasn't gone out again but it bogs down like it is going to shut off at any given second. And also with the part malfunctioning it wreaks havoc on my gas mileage. Before the part messed up and was replaced I was average about 370 miles on a tank of gas and now I am only getting about 266. The part in under warranty but they won't replace it until it goes completely out. It only has a 12 month or 12000 mile warranty on it and I am afraid that it is going to go out after the warranty has expired and I will be left footing the bill again. Also when it bogs down the scent of raw gas is overwhelming as it fills the cab of the vehicle. I am a mother of 2 and this is my means of transportation and it is dangerous to have my children in the vehicle. I am afraid that it will go out and I will be hit and the gas fumes isn't good for them to be inhaling. I don't understand why Ford Motor Company won't replace them since they are very aware that this is an issue.

- Vansant, VA, USA

Dec 252013

Escape

Car stalled. Wrench and engine light came on. We were going down a road that had no place to pull over. We were stuck in the middle of the road. Turned off car and restarted but was very slow to start. We turned around and went back home and it did it several more times. Called local Ford dealership and is going to cost over $400 to fix. This is a very dangerous problem and the part should be recalled.

- Alcoa, TN, USA

Dec 132013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving 2011 Ford Escape and car started to jerk and decelerated with gas pedal not doing anything. Pulled over to the side of the road. The powertrain wrench light had come on then the check engine light. Restarted the car a minute later and it drove a few hundred feet before same thing happened and wrench light came on. Will get car towed to dealership. I am a long-time Ford owner. Ford needs to step to the plate and address this issue.

- Swampscott, MA, USA

Oct 172013

Escape

While daughter driving vehicle in houston, driving on freeway, approx. 65 mph, vehicle lost engine acceleration power, no response from gas pedal, warning lights (wrench symbol) illuminated. Had to coast/idle across traffic lanes to get to shoulder out of traffic- very dangerous and scary - turned off engine, restarted, vehicle then operated as normal at the time, but event has since been recurring. Now has happened 6 other times... very dangerous situation for any driver, especially a young driver. Might add that this particular model is very popular with young adults - you will see many in college towns. Very dangerous. Internet research reveals many complaints and probable cause suspected to be throttle body malfunction. Manufacturer must be aware by now. Having car repaired - expecting cost of approximately $600 - $800.

- Georgetown, TX, USA