2011 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 12)

Sep 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving along and car quit running, no gas, no power. Had to pull over, waited 5 min and started engine and was able to get home safely. Car ran rough for a while afterward. The throttle body was defective and not covered under the extended warranty.

- Gloversville, NY, USA

Sep 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power. Would only idle. Wrench light illuminated. Had to shut vehicle off and restart.

- Monette, AR, USA

Aug 302013

My wife and I were travelling on an interstate highway approximately 3 hours from our home. With no notice, our vehicle lost power and a dashboard light illuminated which was the powertrain fault detection warning light. I pulled the vehicle over to the side of the interstate and turned the engine off. The vehicle re-started with no warning detection light and the vehicle running properly. After about 50 miles of additional driving, the vehicle repeated the same issue. After pulling the vehicle over to the emergency lane of the interstate and shutting the engine off, the engine re-started again with no light illuminated except a service engine light. I drove it to the nearest exit and fortunately found a Ford dealer. The dealer replaced the throttle body of my vehicle and told me the throttle was sticking open and this was causing the vehicle's computer to shut down the power. When travelling on an interstate, I found this problem to be very dangerous. Fortunately, I did not have an accident due to this problem.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Sep 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Upon entering a busy highway off of my neighborhood the vehicle lost acceleration power and went into a complete slow crawl as if coasting, almost causing me to get rear ended by 60 mph approaching traffic. Fortunately, I was able to barley coast to the shoulder before anyone could hit me. I turned off the vehicle until my husband arrived to bail me out. He then was able to restart the vehicle and managed to drive it to the nearest Ford dealership and left it there overnight. Upon diagnosing the vehicle with a dtc of P2111, they informed us that they ordered a replacement throttle body which would take approximately 3-4 weeks to obtain since they're on back order, leaving us without a reliable vehicle till the repair can be completed.

- Lecanto, FL, USA

Sep 042013

I was driving on the interstate at 65 mph when my 2011 Ford Escape began to decelerate rapidly. I tried giving it gas but even with the gas petal pushed down all the way it still wouldn't accelerate at all. I had to pull over in the emergency lane so I wasn't hit by the car behind me. When I came to a stop the vehicle was shaking and I noticed that a flashing wrench light was displayed. I turned the vehicle off for a minute and then restarted it with no problems. I called the dealership because it's still under warranty and they told me to bring it in and they would take a look at it.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 022013

At 55 mph our 2011 Ford Escape lost all power with no warning at all. Had to push it out of the middle of the highway. Throttle control/powertrain light came on. Turned ignition completely off and restarted the engine, light went out and ran fine. Going in for service asap.

- Montpelier, VA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

On 08/30/2013, my wife and I drove our 2011 Ford Escape which has the mileage of 38000 back home from a state park. When we were attempting accelerate the vehicle after a right turn from a stop light, the gas pedal suddenly stop working properly and would not accelerate, the wrench light was on. We stopped the car and restarted, it worked fine. Without thinking much about it, we drove on I-10 highway and luckily we get home safe. But it happened again on 09/01/2013 and 09/02/2013, respectively. This is definitely a safety issues which Ford company should resolve and I can't believed I drove it on highway with such hidden danger!!!

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 172012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on highway at 60 mph 8/16/2013, my engine shut off. I pulled to side of road. The "wrench" light on dash was on. I called Ford bloomington, they gave me roadside assist # and had me call them to send a tow truck to bring me and my vehicle to Ford for check up. It was ready later that day, was told that they reprogrammed PCM and updated calibration, they changed air filter and told me I was "good to go" I paid $35 for that. The very next Friday, I was driving home (at 60 mph) and the engine died again and I pulled to side of road. Luckily the engine did restart and I was able to make it home. Saturday, I took my SUV to Ford bloomington, engine sputtered on the way there. Ford called rental car for me( without me asking) and again looked at the engine, was told on Monday that the throttle body was bad, needed replaced. They had the part, but it was their last one and that the part was on backorder until October. I had part replaced as it was not covered under warranty, for $500. Also I have a $110 bill from enterprise rentals.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving 35-40 mph when all of the sudden my car started to slow down. I did not know what was happening at the time and I kept pressing the gas pedal but the car continued to slow. Before the car stopped, I pulled over to the side of the road, placed the car in park, turned it off, and opened my car door. Then I turned my car on again and was able to drive to the place I was going in about 7 min. I stayed at that place for around 30 min and then got in my car again where 2 min after I started driving, the car stalled again. I pulled over, turned the car off, and opened the driver's door. Then I turned the car back on and preceded to drive home (about a ten minute car ride).

- Erie, PA, USA

Oct 172012

I was making a left off of a bridge and it just stopped going forward and the throttle wouldn't go. I could push gas pedal all the way down and nothing changed I shut it off and it was fine for a couple days then same thing. Sometimes it goes a week or more with out any problem.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Aug 272013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Operator was traveling on 4 lane highway using the far left lane. Vehicle suddenly and without warning lost all power and would not respond to accelerator pedal. Operator had to pull over to far left with traffic behind nearly crashing into vehicle. "wrench" symbol appeared briefly on dash display. Operator turned vehicle ignition off and then on. Vehicle ran normally for 10 or so miles, then went into fault condition again while traveling over 40 mph. Vehicle was returned to dealership for service and diagnosed with faulty throttle body. Repaired at owners expense for $514. Ford customer service would not repair vehicle or offer any assistance under powertrain warranty claiming that this condition was not covered. This is clearly a safety issue that has resulted in numerous complaints by owners of Ford Escape vehicles, as well as several reported accidents to include personal injury. Ford is and has been aware of this faulty part and has done nothing to correct it or respond to it's customers complaints. NHTSA should force an immediate recall before someone is seriously hurt or killed due to this defective part.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Aug 292013

I was traveling on interstate at 65-70 mph, when my Escape's RPM's all of a sudden dropped to 1 and would not react to the gas pedal, luckily I was in the slow lane and managed to coast off the interstate. There was an 18-wheeler behind me and I started to panic at the speed he was gaining on me. I finally managed to get my hazards on to notify him that I was having issues. If I had not have been in the slow lane I would not have been able to get off the interstate before the car stopped completely. This is very dangerous, if I had been in the far left lane or the middle lanes the car could have stopped in the middle of the interstate. I took the vehicle to the Ford store and they informed me that it was the throttle body. I then googled the problem and found out that this is a real issue with a large majority of the vehicles not just a limited faulty part. I don't understand how Ford cannot see that this is a safety issue if someone goes to make a left turn and this happens another car could crash into them. Anytime your car does not react properly it becomes a safety issue. When an 18-wheeler is behind a vehicle that responds the way mine did today it is a safety issue. As you know a fully loaded tractor trailer cannot stop as easily as a passenger vehicle and if the vehicle in front of them all of a sudden looses power and cannot get out of their way there is going to be an accident. Once I got stopped my car did restart but getting to that point was very scary.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Aug 292013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

On August 29, 2013 driver of a 2011 Ford Escape was attempting to turn left and accelerate the vehicle from a stoplight when the car jerked forward and would not accelerate or go with flow of traffic, and with traffic moving behind the vehicle creating dangerous situation. The dashboard showed a wrench light, and driver found it hard to move car forward as it went into "limp home" mode, sputtering all the way. The car was finally moved to the side of the road, shut off, and restarted, and driven the 3 miles home. Owner will take car to the dealership (carmax). Driver assumes will find throttle body code. The part and service should be covered under extended warranty. However, driver/owner will be out of pocket for deductible $250. Family was in car and this is definitely a safety concern on this vehicle. When it goes into limp mode there is no warning and may cause an accident when the vehicle suddenly decelerates to snail speed. I believe Ford must recall the faulty throttle body in the 2009-2011 models as they are safety issues for drivers in the car and other drivers on the road.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Aug 282013

Wednesday August 28, 2013-I was going down my street headed to work-I had just pulled out of the driveway. Maybe going 15-20 miles per hour. Then the Escape jolted forward like it was going to stall and shut off. It did not start back up right away like it is supposed to. Thursday August 29, 2013-jolted, stalled, and shut off 3 different times today. One of those times, the vehicle was on the highway and a semi truck was coming up behind me and almost hit me! very scary!!! unsafe!! as I have been researching this problem, I have noticed that this is a common problem with this make, model, and year. Is it going to take someone losing their life for someone to do something about this problem?! Ford needs to step up and right their wrong and quit ignoring it.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 222013

Stalling and surging without warning while I was in heavy traffic. Warning light came on looked like a wrench. This happened three times was able to get into parking lot and had car towed to Ford dealer for repair. Dealer indicated was throttle auto body problem and parts will not be in for 10 days due to a national back order on the same part (s). I have taken great care of this car and was livid it could have such a serious problem at age 2 and 65,000 miles, obvious wide spread problem with same make/model throughout the nation due to national back order. My complaint is the dangerous position the stalling put me in during heavy traffic, due to national back order I must rent car to get to work at a cost of $300 and the resistance of Ford to step up to the plate and do a recall. I am sure someone has been harmed by this fault and Ford must rectify the problem, I was lucky.

- Mount Airy, MD, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 6-cyl

On August 21, 2013 driver of a 2011 Ford Escape was attempting to turn and accelerate the vehicle from a stoplight when the car jerked forward and would not accelerate with oncoming traffic, and with traffic moving behind the vehicle. The dashboard showed a wrench light, and drive found it hard to stop car as it was sputtering and jerking forward. The car was finally moved to the side of the road, shut off, and restarted, and drive the 10 miles home. Owner took car to the dealership where throttle body code was discovered. This part is not covered under powertrain warranty, thus owner fix cost is $600. This is a safety concern on the vehicle, when it goes into safe mode there is no warning and can cause an accident when the vehicle suddenly decelerates to under 1000 RPM. I believe Ford should recall the faulty throttle body in the 2009-2011 models as they are safety issues for drivers in the car and other drivers on the road.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jul 242013

Since my first incident on 7/24/13 this has now happened multiple times. The vehicle loses power and the gas pedal does nothing. The small wrench icon comes on. I immediately thought power train and after some basic research see all of the documented issues concerning the throttle body. These issues exactly match mine. Today, the vehicle stalled and died in the middle of a very busy intersection while my wife was driving with our 9 month old baby. If there are this many issues this is unacceptable! after calling the Ford dealership there is no recall on this item. I can't believe I am having a problem on a 40,000 mile vehicle and that thousands of others have the same issue.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Aug 222013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the interstate at 65 mph and my Escape just started decreasing in speed, and I tried to accelerate and it would not gain any speed at all. I tried to make it to the next exit, but that did not happen because the power was continuing to decrease. I was glad I was already in the far right lane and could pull over to avoid an accident! once I pulled over the wrench light came on and the truck started to shake, I turned it off and let it sit for 15 min, it restarted and I had to have someone follow me to get home because it kept shutting off. I took it to the dealership only to find out it's not covered under warranty! hopefully Ford will find a solution to this problem and get it corrected asap!

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Aug 232013

Was at the stop light, light turns green press the gas pedal car did not move I was almost rear ended by another vehicle. Wrench light was on dash board car start to putter would not accelerate. Coasted out of the middle of the street and then the transmission light was on dash board, had to get car towed home. Found out it was the throttle body and it is a defect from the manufacturer, but Ford will not replace the consumer is responsible for replacing and it has an out of pocket fee of $548 to get the problem fixed.this is very dangerous, I was lucky I am afraid to drive the truck do not want this to happen to me again. Ford should at least try and come up with some type of solution to this problem.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Jun 202013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden I could not gas my car. Traffic was heavy and I nearly caused two accidents trying to maneuver to the emergency lane. I an not able to drive my car far from home nor on a highway as it chooses to repay this at random.

- Desoto, TX, USA