2011 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 9 of 12)

Jul 192013

Escape

My vehicle stalled while I was turning - this is the fourth time I have had it serviced for stalling - the other three times they have accused me of filling it too much, which I do not - and they have changed the fuel vapor store - evap canister. Obviously, this is not the problem. I also have transmission issues where it jerks and makes a loud noise into reverse. I love my car, but can't deal with the issues it continually gives me - my next car will be a GM product.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Jul 192013

Escape 6-cyl

As I was approaching a stop light of an intersection, the car lost all power and I could not accelerate when stepping on the gas pedal. When the car did lose power, the wrench light came on immediately but no other lights were illuminated except for the wrench light. I was basically stuck in the middle of the intersection trying to coast alone to the other side. The car was finally able to coast to the other side at no more than 1 mph and I was able to pull into a shopping center parking lot. I turned the car off and let it sit there momentarily. I then tried to restart the car and it was difficult for the engine to turn over and start. However, it finally did. The wrench light was not illuminated when the car did start. I was fortunately able to drive the car back home. The car will be taken to the dealership for inspection and testing.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 172013

Escape

I was driving approximately 45 mph on road when the vehicle lost power. The vehicle began decelerating and pushing the accelerator was useless. It began jerking, like it was trying to shift back into gear or down since there was a sudden decrease in speed. I was able to coast into a parking lot and put in into park. I turned the car off and allowed it to sit for a moment. I attempted to turn the car back on. It took a moment for it to kick over, but eventually it did. I got back out onto the road. The same thing happened again not more than 100 feet down the road. Again I pulled it to a parking lot and shut the engine off. I was able to drive it home after that with no issues. I took the vehicle to the Ford dealership and was informed the throttle body needed to be replaced.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Jul 152013

Escape

Car drifted to a stop while in gear. Turned off ignition. Restated car. It accelerated in park without having foot on gas peddle. Tried driving again, the car repeated this pattern 3 more times. Finally got it to operate after letting it rest for several minutes. I was a wreck driving it home, 5 miles. The car was bought used only 4 days prior to the incident. It has ruined my confidence in this vehicle.

- Glenside, PA, USA

Jul 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving home from work, I was traveling at aprox. 35mph when it first happened. My RPM gauge started to "bounce" from 1 to 4 repeatedly. Make it very hard to stop and could not give it gas. At the same time, my power-train warning light came on along with my check engine light. I was able to pull over and call for assistance.

- Cleves, OH, USA

Jul 162013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down a neighborhood street, when without warning, I suddenly had no power at all. My acceleration was gone, and I thought that the engine had died, however everything was running, and the engine light was not on. I pumped the gas pedal and got nothing, fortunately there was a convenience store coming up on my right, which I was able to turn into. At that point I noticed the "wrench" icon lighted up on the dashboard, I thought it might be a good idea to turn the engine off and see if it was a glitch, since I had just had the oil changed at the dealership earlier in the day. At least I was hoping that was the case. The car started perfectly, it took a few seconds to shake itself, which still worried me, and proceeded to act normally as I drove home, where I currently am. I advised my son about what happened and he checked up on auto defects on the Ford Escape and brought them to my attention, that is why I am reporting what happened to me today. I will be bringing this to the attention of the dealership first thing tomorrow morning due to my needing the use of my vehicle for work.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Jul 152013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the road at 40 mph and my vehicle just quit running (lost power) and I had to pull over to the side of the road. The engine light came on when this happened, it looked like a wrench figure on the dash. After letting my Escape sit for about 30 seconds, it started right up. After it started, I put it in drive and proceeded to go down the road and after about two miles, my vehicle quit running again. After a few seconds of sitting, I started it up again and managed to get into a Ford dealership and they said the problem was a throttle problem and replaced the part which cost me $342. The dealership said this had been a problem with many Escapes and said this part may be on the verge of a recall.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 112013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at speed, the vehicle instantly lost power. Gas pedal was non-responsive. I was able to pull the vehicle to a safe spot off the main roadway. When the vehicle was put into park, it idled roughly and the orange wrench warning light came on. Turned the vehicle off and waited a few seconds. Turned the vehicle back on and was able to return home without further incident. Took vehicle to local dealer service the next day and was informed that this is a known problem and that the repair part needed is currently on extensive backorder, maybe up to several weeks. The primary concern over this type of issue is that it could occur to someone who is at highway speed and would be unable to reach a stopping point safely. The fact that the part needed to fix the issue is on extensive backorder indicates that this is hardly an isolated incident.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Jun 292013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving to the airport and car stalled, picture of a wrench display on the dash. Next case was about 10 days later, was driving local and car stalled 5 times before I made it. Both picture of the wrench and check engine light came on. Parked car until morning, stalled twice on the way to work then got it to the dealership to be fixed. Was told it was the throttle.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Jun 212013

Escape 6-cyl

I was on my way to work and when I accelerated to pull a small incline and there was a loud pop, a real hard jerk and I had no gears at all. The wrench indicator came on, I turned my emergency flasher on, shut me engine off. Thanks goodness I was in a construction zone and the speed was reduced or else I could have been seriously injured. I restarted my engine and finally was able to get it in low to be able to make it to the nearest wide spot to get out of the middle of the 4-lane. I immediately took it to a Ford dealer in my area and they kept it 5 days and I was notified on Tuesday, that they couldn't find anything wrong. It is still doing the exact same thing, shifts hard, hesitates to shift, revs up to 5000 - 5500 RPM's but won't do over 20 mph. It jerks and make some terrible noises. Also yesterday while trying to pull a hill near my home, it would not pull it and I had a vehicle traveling behind me and all I could do was pray that he wouldn't hit me. I had to pull of the side of the road, shut my engine off in order to it to take off and pull again. I have two small children and this vehicle is not safe to have them in on the highway, it isn't safe for anyone to be on the highway in. I have did some online research and have found numerous complaints on the same make and model on mine. Ford needs to recall the vehicles and fix them before someone does get seriously hurt or even killed. Any assistance that you can provide in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

- Vansant, VA, USA

Jul 102013

Escape

Vehicle lost power while traveling on highway. Throttle control/power train warning light illuminated. Navigated car to shoulder of highway, turned ignition off and on. Car accelerated normally to 60 mph, once again lost power and warning light once again illuminated. Navigated car off highway, turned ignition off and on. Drove slowly home, warning light did not come on again.

- Royersford, PA, USA

Jul 032013

Escape 6-cyl

On wed July 3, I was backing it out of garage to take a trip to san antonio. I pulled out onto the street to leave when all of a sudden I lost all power. The check engine light came on along with a tool wrench. I looked in the manual and it said throttle problem. I turned it off and started it again and it drove perfect for half a block and lost power again. Finally I got it around the block and put it back in the garage where it sits, until I can find out if this is a Ford defect.

- Waco, TX, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving and lost power, wrench light went on. Drove home. Next day I drove to dealership and almost didn't make it. Kept losing power, so had to drive about 20 mph with flashers on. It was a defective throttle.

- Seymour, CT, USA

Aug 292011

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle has stalled multiple times at highway speeds which Ford apparently calls "limp mode". all power to the motor was gone. As this only has happened at highway speeds, I feared for my life that I would get rear ended. Apparently Ford knows of a problem with the throttle body but since the car never keeps the code in the computer, Ford will not do any repairs to it. This is a serious issue and am worried someone will be killed by this problem and the unwillingness of Ford to repair it. Once I coast to the side of the road and turn off the motor.... wait a minute... and restart the problem goes away. This has happened three times to me already.

- Madison, WI, USA

Jun 132013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle continually has a decrease in power. After stepping on gas pedal starts to "chug" along slowly eventually speeds back up and engages to normal speed.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Jun 052013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle would loose all power while traveling at highway speed. Would have to pull over turn engine off and back on to reset. Wrench light would come on but would reset after vehicle was turned off. Took to shop and needed a new throttle body.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost propulsion at about 30-35 mph and driver was barely able to get it off main road. A vehicle behind it had to brake to avoid rear-end collision. Was not able to move forward and had to be towed. Subsequently vehicle functioned again, but about 2 weeks later the same thing happened -- car would not accelerate and felt like it was slipping between gears. Subsequently a Ford dealer repair department determined that the throttle body had failed.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

As I began accelerating from a stop I reached about 15mph when the car suddenly lost power and began to vibrate violently.the wrench light and check engine light came on. The engine light remains on. I was able to guide the car to the side of the road and had it towed to the shop.the mechanic informed me that it was the throttle body assembly and the parts are on backorder from Ford and he was told there was no eta. The mechanic was also told that it could take up to a year!!! how to I pay a car note for a useless car and how do I get to work?! the car is not drivable and the Ford Escapes that are still on the road are a danger to all without this problem being fixed!

- Brockton, MA, USA

Apr 012013

Escape 4-cyl

At approx. 19,800 miles was driving along the interstate and the Escape started losing power. I went from running 75 mph to 40 mph. The Escape now has approx. 33,000 miles and is a total nightmare. As of April 28, 2013 it has been in the shop for a total of 46 days and has had 8 repair attempts. No warning lights nor the check engine light has ever come on. This Escape clunks, surges, loses power, cut's off and at times will not even crank. The transmissions has been reprogrammed, the throttle body and motor asy - throttle body air intake has been replaced, the vapor management valve has been replaced, the torque convertor has been replaced. Lost in arbitration with the BBB because Ford said in their last repair attempt that the vehicle has operating as normal. June 5, 2013 car was back in shop because at 7:45 am stopped at a red light, while my foot was on the brake the RPM's surged up to 4000, could hardly keep it from running the light, once the light changed took off and within 4 tenths of a mile lost power and shut off. It took me 8 minutes to get it to crank, drove about 15 miles, surging all the way, and the car died again, taking me 10 minutes to get it to crank. Took the car back to the shop, they kept it for 7 days, returned it and said they could not duplicate problem. June 20, 2013 tried to crank the car at 10:00 am, it would crank, but go dead, finally at 11:10 am it stayed cranked, drove at 3 tenths of a mile, car goes dead. Takes me 5 minutes to re-crank went straight to the shop. This car is dangerous and Ford needs to re-call.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

May 292013

Escape 4-cyl

Purchased used in Jan 2013, immediately had trouble shifting and wouldn't go in reverse. Rpms revved up like it couldn't shift to the next gear. Brought it back to the dealer, no codes but a tsb 12-6-12 and 11-9-9 covered both and the PCM was reprogrammed. It still shifted hard but I got used to it. It started getting really bad again in May 2013. No codes, no check engine light and I checked the system information and nothing was flagged. It would chug and then die while idling. At a stoplight on a 55 mph highway, it stalled. Engine started up but as soon as it was put into drive it would make a loud grinding noise and stall. I didn't have any warning. I was at a stoplight at a very busy intersection and there was no where safe to push the truck to the side. I waited 30 terrified minutes for the tow truck hoping no one would slam into me. Towed it to the closest dealer where they had to write to the hotline to check since it was only 2 years old. First told it was a valve body or torque converter failure. Metal was found in the valve body and solenoid screens and the whole transmission needed to be replaced. And because it had 71,000 miles it wasn't covered under warranty.

- Andover, MN, USA