2011 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Sep 262016

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While driving at any speed, the rpms increased and the contact heard a clicking noise. Afterwards, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The issue recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Oct 102016

Escape

Driving and truck just cuts off. Took it to the shop and first they thought it was a mass air flow sensor.. but the problem still happened. Then it was said it might be throttle body. I just bought this car less than a month ago and already having major problems.

- Erie, PA, USA

Aug 152016

Escape

"takata recall" a light popped on while I was driving on a local city street a light that looks like a wrench and it is causing me hesitation while driving won't pick up speed or give any gas.

- Berwyn, IL, USA

Jun 062016

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle shook and decelerated. The service engine now warning indicator illuminated. The contact had to coast the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle was turned off and restarted, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was repaired in November of 2015 per a manufacturer recall for the same failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer would not repair the vehicle a second time for the same failure. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Mar 242016

Escape

I continue to have issues with the electronic throttle body (etb), up to and including the complete shutdown of the system. I am the original owner of this vehicle and have abided by all service recommendations for this make/model. The extended warranty on the etb runs out at 100K (vehicle currently at 75K). There are times the vehicle shifts so violently that one would believe they've been rear-ended. When I take my vehicle in to the dealership (5 times, 2 different dealerships), I'm told they re-program the system and to give it another 500 to 1000 miles for the system to relearn my driving habits. The "reboot" lasts between 800 to 1500 miles on average. I don't understand why the etb can't be replaced in its entirety at this point.

- Wentzville, MO, USA

Feb 022016

Escape

While vehicle was traveling at 70 mph than all of a sudden loses power. Brought vehicle to autonation Ford katy and was told their is a recall for electronic throttle body. Asked property to repair told they could not do so unless vehicle showed issue at the dealership. I think this is an unsafe practice and should be repaired asap.

- Brookshire, TX, USA

Feb 022016

Escape

Traveling at highway speed 70 mph vehicle loses all power. Brought vehicle to autonation Ford katy Texas was told there was a electronic throttle body recall. Asked dealership to fix and was told they could not unless vehicle replicated issue at the dealership. I feel the issue needs to be corrected as soon as possible do to future safety issues

- Brookshire, TX, USA

Feb 232016

Escape

Power train, I was driving on I-4 and driving with the traffic and all of a sudden my car just starts to jerk and cuts off, needless to say I got off on side of the highway and turned car off. I was scared because I looked in my rear view mirror and I thought I was dead. I had to sit for a few minutes because I was scared to think I could have died today. Researching it really angers me because this could and can be prevented. Something needs to be done to get a recall. As for the car it started back up and got me home. I cannot say I am safe in my own car. This car is a death trap please call a recall before myself or anyone of the others gets killed.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Jan 292016

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While parked, the contact was walking to the rear of the vehicle to put luggage in the trunk and noticed the vehicle was rolling towards her. The contact dove to the ground on the side of the vehicle to avoid being hit. The vehicle rolled back and struck the pole to the building. There were no occupants in the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed. The owner received injuries to her knee and back which did not require medical attention. The vehicle was not towed or taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Summerfield, NC, USA

Oct 202015

Escape

I was driving along the highway and my ride shuddered some and lost acceleration, my engine light came on then the wrench symbol came on and it has stayed on. It's giving a throttle/ powertrain error. I've done some research and I've seen a lot of complaints concerning this issue and was told to file a complaint. Ford needs to issue a recall on this problem before someone gets seriously hurt or killed.

- Kimper, KY, USA

Mar 042013

Escape

When slowing down at about 20-25 mph, car jerks like transmission is trying to slip from 2nd to 1st gear. Has been like this for over two years. Most readings on 'net suggests software issues but not many owners have found satisfaction with the updates and appear to have to pay for them..

- Bridgeton, MO, USA

Nov 012014

Escape

My 2011 Escape transmission seemed to shift hard when slowing down at times. This would happen intermittently and did not cause a lot of problems when I first got it. It seemed to occur more frequently around the first of this year. I took it to a Ford dealership (bill collins Ford) to check the transmission. They kept it for several days before they even looked at it. The transmission needed software updates which I had to pay about $160 for. I had to take it back again a few months later and it was the same thing - needed a software update after they kept it several days again. There appears to be some type of problem with the transmission needing a software update so frequently.

- Mt. Washington, KY, USA

Aug 132015

Escape

Driving car home after work - slowed down and stopped after traffic light change. Pressed on accelerator and car shuddered would not accelerate. The wrench light came on and the car went into limp home mode. Turned into parking lot and shut down and restarted engine. The engine RPM suddenly went to about 7000 RPM with the no push of the accelerator. Engine eventually normalized and I was able to drive it the rest of the way home. My husband test drove the vehicle and the same thing happened to him with the car going non responsive into limp home mode. He troubleshot the issue to the throttle body. After removing the throttle body, cleaning it, and recalibrating, the issue disappeared. He is going to replace the part for safety since this issue happening at highway speed could become dangerous.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 072013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While driving 25 mph and making a right turn, the vehicle slowed down without warning. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 7/16/15 the consumer stated no accidents occurred but, there were a few near misses due to loss of speed. The failure occurred every time the vehicle was driven. Updated 9/22/2015

- Freeburg , MO, USA

Dec 012011

Escape

I bought this car in 2012 and have since noticed the vehicle losing the ability to accelerate. No matter how far I push down on the gas it will not accelerate. After a minute or two of stalling, it will sputter and shut off. I took it to the auto shop to make sure that it was not misfiring a piston, or that their was anything immediately wrong, but they could not give me an answer to why it would not accelerate. My transmission also stalls in gears and will not shift when driving down the road. Same deal took it in and received no answer. The back hatch glass also leaks terribly when it rains and I cannot get it to seal at all.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

May 072014

Escape

I have had this vehicle for one year, and it would be impossible to recount all of the times it has stalled on me while driving it. It has stalled in parking lots, in heavy stop-and-go traffic, making turns, pulling into my driveway, and accelerating to enter the freeway. It started within two months of purchase. I took it to a Ford dealership in August of 2014 where they performed recall work which included throttle body replacement, reprogrammed the PCM, and a power steering advisory item. The vehicle continued to stall. The stalling seems to happen just after fill-up and happens intermittently until the gas gauge reads less than three-fourths and at low speeds. I filled it up yesterday, and it has stalled seven times since then. It happens when coasting to a stop or making a turn. On the freeway at high speeds, it runs well. The issue was compounded in February when it was discovered that the evap canister was full of gas. It, along with a tube hose assembly (bl8Z9D667B-af), was replaced only for it to happen again. The purge valve was stuck open and had to be replaced along with a second evap canister. The stalling issue continued, and the dealership found the canister to be saturated with gas again. This time, they said they would have to replace the gas tank to correct the issue as they believe it is a valve built into the tank which seems absurd. I have not done this since they quoted a cost of over $2000. Even if I have that done, it will only correct the canister issue, not the stalling. I have read hundreds of posts on the internet from people who have the exact same problems with the same model year as I have. These are both issues that I believe to be the result of a defect in the manufacturing of this vehicle due to the volume of owners who are experiencing the same problems. I feel Ford needs to step up and correct these issues.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Apr 202015

Escape 4-cyl

Driving to work my Escape lost power and sputtered to a stop. The wrench light came on. I shut off the radio, fan and vehicle. The turned the vehicle back on and it resumed running. I see there are several complaints regarding this issue. Hopefully, this will be my last or that a recall will come forward as this seems to be an ongoing issue with Ford.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Mar 312015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While slowing to come to a complete stop in a turning lane behind two other vehicles, the subject vehicle's transmission slipped from gear and disengaged the engine. When the vehicles transmission reengaged the engines remaining torque not yet displaced, the vehicle lunged forward causing a lose of control and the brakes to lock up from attempting the braking action already taking place. The subject vehicle had previously been in the dealerships service dept. To have its transmission that previously and completely burnt its clutches out at only 14,775 miles driven. The symptoms of the transmission burning the clutches out was presenting itself in an increasing manner from around 5,000 miles. The newly rebuilt transmission failed at only 21,150 miles at the time of the total loss incident.

- Fairview, PA, USA

Oct 162014

Escape

While entering a main artery of traffic from a side road, during the acceleration between 35-45mph, the transmission disengaged from the engine. The engine, not being subject to transferring energy to the transmission began to gain RPM exceedingly faster on its own with the operators foot still only applying the equal force applicable to normally execute the entrance on to the main road. The transmission regained traction with the engine and the vehicle suffered a violent lunge forward than disengaged once more and repeated the same again with the disengage and lunge forward. The operator was able to drive the vehicle around the block at no more than 10mph around the block to garage the vehicle and call Ford to report the incident.

- Fairview, PA, USA

Mar 162015

Escape

Slowing down in my Ford Escape the transmission intermediately down shifts so hard that it shakes my car and makes a loud noise. Have brought to the dealership 4 times and are not able to duplicate the intermediate problem. First time they reset some sort of chip in the transmission and it helped for only a short while. It does not happen all the time and is intermediate, the dealership does not drive it long enough to duplicate the problem.

- Indepenence, LA, USA