2011 Ford Escape electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Apr 142013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle purchased January 2013 with ~37K miles. First month of ownership, I had code indicating a fuel delivery problem but it cleared on its own. I attributed it to bad gas, though it may have been the warning sign I missed. Today on the highway at approximately 60mph, it felt like the vehicle shifted out of sequence, noticing the lack of power/low rpms I tried to give it gas to no avail. I safely navigated to the shoulder as it coasted down to a stop. The orange wrench lit up. Upon stopping the car sputtered hard and threatened to stall. The gas pedal was useless. I shut the car off, shut off the radio/ac and gave it a moment. It restarted with minor hesitation. The orange wrench had cleared but the check engine light came in (it stayed in through the remainder of this post). It idled ok, allowed me to administer fuel and rev the engine. Thinking the problem had passed, I merged back onto the highway and came up to speed. About a half a mile later I felt the noted loss of engine power (I believe this is the "limp-home" method that is cited in some things I have read today). Again, my gas pedal is useless and I re-engage the hazards and move off of the road. This time the car does not stall but idles around 900rpm with some sputtering. Gas pedal is still useless. I rinse and repeat the above process a third time, when it does the same thing another half mile later, I give up and call a more car savoy friend. His first guess is also fuel pump/something clogged but we are both baffled because the symptoms are not consistent with any condition we have ever encountered. Deciding it could be nursed home, the fourth attempt at starting it, I made the last 2 miles staying 40mph or below. There was no sputtering/loss of fuel delivery capabilities during this attempt. After some research, it sounds like the common throttle body issues found me...

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Feb 152013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle was running rough at idle and check engine light was on. At stop lights, stop signs, or any idle time car would buck forward like it was going to stall.

- Seabrook, NH, USA

Oct 252012

Escape 6-cyl

As I was pulling away from the intersection, I lost all throttle. I had no power at all, it wanted to stall and I had nowhere to pull over from the inside lane. The driver behind me almost rear ended me. I had to stop in the middle of traffic with my hazard lights on. This is a serious safety issue, this should not happen on a new vehicle that has only 36,000 miles.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Mar 102011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

After stopping and upon acceleration the engine completely shuts down and the car stalls. After putting the car in park and restarting the car, it runs okay. This has happened to me 4 times over a 23 month period. Each time I have taken the vehicle to the dealership. The first two times I was told the car was still breaking in and it must be due to the gas I was using. The third time, they replaced the throttle body. To my knowledge the "wrench" light only came on once. They said they had a number of vehicles that this had happened with and replacing the throttle body helped. Three weeks after they replaced the throttle body, it happened again! this time only the engine light came on. Ford says they need a code to try to fix the problem. The dealership told me that there was one other person, who has the same make and model as mine that this is happening too. This person also had the throttle body replaced. The fact that no code is tripped is a problem in itself! please help! I do not want anyone to be killed because of this problem.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Nov 192012

Escape

While pulling onto highway onramp the vehicle began to jerk violently and suddenly shut down and would not accelerate. It was a busy traffic time and the sudden deceleration of my vehicle caused others to have to suddenly brake to avoid a collision. Pulled vehicle to side of the road and shut it off. Restarted and the problem seemed to be fixed. Began driving vehicle to dealer with hazard lights and problem occurred about 4 more times. Dealer replaced throttle body assembly, which fixed the problem. It was a scary incident as we were just seconds away from joining heavy traffic on the interstate.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Aug 062012

Escape 6-cyl

This has happened twice. Once on 7/27 and again today, 8/6. while driving on the interstate coming down off an overpass with the air on the car suddenly stalled. Both times I was able to restart from the side of the road.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Jul 232012

Escape

While traveling 80mph on the interstate, my 2011 Ford Escape with 27000 miles suddenly lost power as a wrench indicator light came on the dashboard. The gas pedal would not accelerate to pull onto shoulder or to move around traffic. All fuel acceleration was lost. As I finally coasted to the shoulder, narrowly avoiding being the cause of multiple accidents, the vehicle starting shaking. I turned the car off, waited a few minutes, and turned the car back on. The wrench indicator light (powertrain indication) remained off and the vehicle acted normal. There was not an indication before or after the incident of any faulty systems or parts. The vehicle did this without any reason, leaving me in a dangerous situation. The vehicle has been properly maintained and running without any problems since I purchased the vehicle until this incident. I fear it may happen again without reason and place my life and those of my passengers in harms' way.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 012011

Escape 4-cyl

As I was exiting a highway, my car message center alerted me to safely come to a stop. As I was attempting to get into a parking lot, the car shut off. I restarted and was able to get into parking lot on electric, I guess. It was towed to utter Ford, in sherman, tx. They ran a diagnostic and told me it had to do with the fuel pump and the electrical. They kept it overnight and said they replaced the fuel pump. I picked it up on 12/3 around 2:30pm. I got 40 miles and the car went into fail/safe mode again. I was able to make it safely to a parking lot. After the engine was turned off and then back on, the accelerator stuck. Hitting the break did not help. The car had to be turned off to keep the engine from revving. It was towed to david mcdavid Lincoln in plano, Texas. The service tech said that there was nothing registering on the diagnostic. On their second test drive, the car turned off while the driver was on the highway. They had to send a tow truck to get him. The car would not restart.

- Crockett, TX, USA

Nov 092011

Escape

Rear windshield exploded when my colleague was putting his belongings in the back of my SUV. Brand new car and the the car wasn't turned for more than 5 minutes.

- Deer Park, TX, USA