2011 Ford Escape electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Dec 192016

Escape

I was driving to my bank which is an hour away. As I drove up a steep mountain at the top the truck just shut off and I coasted to the side of hwy. After I stop tried starting 4 times and nothing happen. Set for 10mins then tried again truck started I made it back home without stalling.I took my in truck to be looked at diagnostic fuel throttle. Every day since im stalling 1or 2 a day trucks should be made to endure parts should be.more durable its always about cutting corners.making more money off of customer.can we just the land of the free and a home of honest amd integrity.I must work if dont have reliable trasnportation its difficult where I live. Please do something about all these defected trucks we trust Ford but I have lost trust in their ablity to make great lasting trucks.I will never buy another Ford again this my last one from Ford.thank you.

- Fogelsville, PA, USA

Dec 302016

Escape

Having mechanical issues with my doors not closing. This has happened several times and each time it takes a lot of playing around with locking and unlocking before I can get the door shut.

- Sherman, TX, USA

Dec 252016

Escape

Car would not start. Once started, power steering completely out. Had to drive home with no power steering.once power steering came on a day later, air is not working.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 072016

Escape

Re/ 2011 Ford Escape with 46246 miles vehicle did not start when the ignition key was turned on(engine did not turn over). The vehicle eventually started after multiple tries (key turned off then on again). The vehicle was taken into autonation Ford in torrance, ca. Where they replaced the "ignition lock housing" due to a broken ignition lock housing pin. Cost $733. Repairs completed 12/07/2016

- Torrance, CA, USA

Nov 072016

Escape

Ford consumer satisfaction program 13N03. Related to etb. Car randomly would not accelerate - had to pull over three times while driving on the highway to turn car on and off. After turning car on, it was like nothing had happened.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Jul 012016

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Hello, a few months ago I purchased a used 2011 Ford Escape flex fuel from infinity/Volkswagen of fairfield, ca 94533. During the time my wife and I have been driving it, I have experienced some major troubles with the vehicle.when driving in the city or on the highway at any speed, the vehicles gas pedal all of a sudden loses pressure and I have no more gas. Promptly after that, the car begins to shake and eventually I have to pull over for safety reasons. This has happened more than 10 times now. I have been to the dealership 3 times already and explained to them what's going on. They just brushed it off and said " come back when the engine lights come on." I was very mad and frustrated but I let it be. Over the fourth of July weekend I was driving the vehicle the problem happened again this time I was on the freeway and had to immediately pull over because I was in the fast lane. It was so fast that I collided with the side of the shoulder to right of the fast lane and hit a dirt patch. Things could have been a lot worse. Thank god nobody was hurt. In saying that my wife is the daily driver of the vehicle and to think that she is pregnant and has my 2 year old son if she was driving it things would be a lot worse for the dealership. I'm sick and tired of being treated like this. I'm a marine corps veteran and to be treated like sh*t in the dealership tell me to "leave and have good day" is terrible. This is the third vehicle that I have purchased from them and by no means will there be any more business with them after this. Not caring about the safety of customers is wrong. I do not want this vehicle anymore. I repeat I do not want this vehicle anymore. I need something done about this please. If not I have no choice but to write my congressman about this situation, the department of veterans affairs and a lawyer. I hope that we can handle this in a civil manner.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Mar 242016

Escape

I continue to have issues with the electronic throttle body (etb), up to and including the complete shutdown of the system. I am the original owner of this vehicle and have abided by all service recommendations for this make/model. The extended warranty on the etb runs out at 100K (vehicle currently at 75K). There are times the vehicle shifts so violently that one would believe they've been rear-ended. When I take my vehicle in to the dealership (5 times, 2 different dealerships), I'm told they re-program the system and to give it another 500 to 1000 miles for the system to relearn my driving habits. The "reboot" lasts between 800 to 1500 miles on average. I don't understand why the etb can't be replaced in its entirety at this point.

- Wentzville, MO, USA

May 102016

Escape

Vehicle engine suddenly and randomly cuts out in the middle of driving, in motion on the highway, or soon after starting to drive, in motion leaving a parking lot. The accelerator becomes unresponsive and the car sputters to a stop. When you try to restart the car it turns on as if nothing happened.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Dec 092015

Escape

Vehicle was parked for 4 days in driveway. Vehicle engine compartment became engulfed in flames unexpectedly. Cause unknown. A 2014 recall related to throttle body is suspicious. Recall was addressed under customer satisfaction program 13N03.

- York, PA, USA

Oct 012015

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that when the fobik key was depressed to unlock the doors, the lift gate failed to unlock. The contact attempted to unlock the lift gate manually but the attempt failed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 29,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 042014

Escape

A/C pump cycles on and off but no A/C in summer. In winter -the defroster cuts out which I believe is a overheating resister thus not cycling the A/C. also switch is inop for fan on positions 1 and 2. I believe the system " malfunction" is a fire/ safety issue and needs a safety campaign because of all weather hazards such as fog, excessive summer temps, and freezing temps with condensation. Thanks

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Nov 012014

Escape

My car will be idling and suddenly power down. Recently while I have been slowing down at a traffic light, stop light, or braking for traffic it will power down. After researching online I have found that hundreds of other Ford Escape owners have had the same issue, some have had it happen while driving at high rates of speed. I have taken it to 4 different mechanics, 2 of which are Ford dealerships and they work on it charge me a lot of money and it continues to happen. Almost a year now! I'm fed up.

- Frederick, OK, USA

Jul 162014

Escape

Drivers side door latch switch says it is not latched, but it is. This causes the interior dome lights to remain on while driving. Hard to drive at night with lights on. Dangerous. Doors do not lock properly because it thinks the door is ajar. I understand thousands of complaints on this exact issue.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Jun 282015

Escape

Going South on I81 to watertown, NY. Vehicle quit and I coasted to the side of the highway. Tractor-trailer behind me swerved to miss me. Almost hit a car coming off the exit ramp, had no power to excelerate to get by him. Could have been a wopper of an accident.

- Alexandria Bay, NY, USA

May 042015

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled and the entire instrumental panel failed. As a result, the contact crashed into the preceding vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a mild concussion and bruises to the body that did not require medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 53,000. Updated 7/1/15 the consumer stated while driving the lights flashed, ignition system stalled, brakes failed, and the steering locked up. Updated 9/15/2015

- Woodland Hill, CA, USA

Apr 172015

Escape 4-cyl

An O2/exhaust sensor & fuel induction kit had to be replaced. This SUV has only 13700 miles on it. The dealer said that the parts were faulty. My bumper to bumper warranty went out last July 2014, so it wasn't covered. I feel that Ford needs to investigate if other vehicles have this same problem. I should also be reimbursed for my cost.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Mar 142015

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving over 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was unable to determine the failure and an unknown error message appeared on the instrumental panel. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Maryville, IN, USA

Jun 102014

Escape 4-cyl

The engine has stalled on multiple occasions. Several of the incidents have occurred when making a turn, either right or left, at a low speed with no pressure being applied to either the gas or brake pedal. The most recent events have been when turning onto a street with oncoming traffic. I make the turn and press on the gas only to find that the engine has stalled. I have to stop and restart the vehicle. This makes for a dangerous situation as you end up with little control of the vehicle. It has also stalled in parking lots when coasting at a low speed waiting on another car. I purchased this vehicle used in may of 2014 and had to take it to a local Ford dealership the very next month (June 2014). The dealership replaced the throttle body and motor assembly and also reprogrammed the PCM per the 13N01 recall. Within two months, the issue was back, this is January of 2015, and the issue has gotten much worse. I have read that it could be a type of relay switch located in the under-the-hood fuse box. If Ford doesn't fix this issue, there will eventually be wrecks and possible fatalities.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Oct 292014

Escape

While driving along my Ford Escape suddenly refused to accelerate, I was holding the gas to the floor and it wouldn't budge. It was idling strangely and surging. A wrench symbol appeared in the screen on the dash. I was on a hill and was unable to pull of the road. Luckily, no one was behind me. I waited a few moments and restarted the Escape, it went and then continued to decelerate once again. I will be taking this back to the dealership to be fixed. But I am very concerned, upon researching the issue I found many more complaints online. Why hasn't this issue been recalled? it is highly dangerous and it is only a matter of time before the Escape cuts off at the wrong time and gets someone killed. This needs to be addressed before it become an epidemic like the Chevy cobalt.

- Luray, VA, USA

Oct 082014

Escape

As I was driving my car lost it throttle. The engine continued to run but I had no ability to accelerate. I pulled the car over. Turned it off, then back on and the car appeared to show no issues. About two weeks later the issue appeared again. Same solution. From my research this appears to be a common issue and could very much endanger anyone in the vehicle.

- Seattle, WA, USA