2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 10 of 11)

Feb 152013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph the vehicle decelerated on its own. The contact stopped the vehicle on the emergency lane and was able to continue driving normally after restarting it. The wrench warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated a valve had to be replaced. After the vehicle was repaired the failure continued to occur. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jun 152013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the expressway crg G5 at 45mph the engine stalled, with no more power supplied to the car and it rolled to a full stop. The electronic throttle did not operate to accelerate or drive the car any more. The vehicle had to be towed away. The check-engine light and 'wrench' light are on, the associated dtc code is P2112.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving to work on rt. 80 in NJ at about 70 mph in the fast lane when all of a sudden there was no power. I would hit the gas and nothing. Fortunately, my steering and braking was not affected and I was able to coast to the shoulder and turn the truck off. Before that, I noticed the wrench light was lit on the dashboard. I sat for a minute while I looked in my owner's manual to see what the wrench light was for and it said throttle. I turned it back on and after a brief hesitation, it turned over. I pulsed the gas to make sure it was working, then slowly merged back onto the highway. I called my dealership to tell them what happened and they were very nice and asked me to bring it in asap. Since I was almost at work, I said I'd call him back and went to the Ford dealership near my office. There I was told this was a "known issue" and even if it was what he "thought" it was, he was nasty and said "there aren't any parts available anyway..." I asked him if the truck was safe to drive and he hesitated and said "yeah...it should be and that it is a "sporadic" issue." I left that dealership and drove to my office. I called my local dealership back and told them this. They said to bring it in the next day (Saturday) and they would take care of me. This dealership (magarino in sussex, NJ) is amazing! they are helpful, truly care about their customers and made sure that my truck was safe before I left. Even though I didn't have an appointment, they still made the time to get me in! they did have the part in stock, ran all the necessary tests, replaced the part and reprogrammed the computer so that everything would be ok. $400 later (part not under warranty), I was heading home. I hope this helps the possible recall investigation so that no one else has to go through the terrifying and hopeless feeling that I had this past Friday.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Jun 092013

Escape

I was driving 70mph down the interstate and I lost all power and my wrench light came on. I coasted to the side of the road put it in park and it started right up and light went off. Today I could feel it losing power I went to dealership and they said they could not help me if I didn't pay the $85 to put on computer. I told them my car had done the exact same thing that others had reported and it was their throttle body. On my way to work I could feel is lugging but so far today it hasn't stopped. Very dangerous due to the fact the I have several children in my Escape daily.

- Kenna, WV, USA

Jun 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving the car we start to excel and the car shuts down due to the throttle body not functioning right.

- Marble Falls, TX, USA

Jun 042013

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was coasted restarted and resumed normally. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was advised that the engine throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired because the dealer stated that the part was on back order. The failure mileage and current mileages were 66,000.

- Palestine, WV, USA

May 312013

Escape

I was driving up a hill when my engine shut off and car started lurching forward. The brakes slowed the car down but lurching continued. The car restarted okay but stalled several more times as I was driving it to the dealer. There were no warning lights on and I have always taken great care of the car. There were no odd noises or signs that something was wrong until the car stopped. I am thankful that I was on a neighborhood road and not a busy street or highway. Dealer says the issue is the electronic throttle body which is on national backorder and may take 6-8 weeks to repair. If something is on national backorder, does that mean this is happening to others as well? please investigate.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle was accelerated to cross an intersection and engine decelled to an idle condition - this happened at speed also - very dangerous loss of power without notice - almost caused an accident. Was very intermittent to begin with - dealer attempted tshoot and repair but no codes found - next day after dealer attempt problem happened numerous times and the dealer determined a bad throttle body.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

May 152013

Escape 4-cyl

As I was driving, my vehicle with no warning lost power. The engine was still running, but roughly. I could press the accelerator, but it no longer caused the vehicle to accelerate. After waiting for help to arrive, I shut the vehicle off and then tried to restart. The vehicle started fine. I took it to a mechanic who thought the throttle box may be bad. I paid to have it cleaned out and for a gas additive to decrease the likelihood that it would happen again. A couple of days later, my Escape stalled again in the same way and with the same results. It has happened 3 times now since May 2nd. I realize there is an investigation into the failure of the throttle body in Ford Escapes including the 2011 model. What is described in the throttle body failure situations is exactly what I am experiencing with my vehicle. I have been fortunate to be in curb lanes and able to maneuver safely off the road each of the times this has happened. If I happen to be in a center highway lane when it happens, I may not be fortunate enough to have an opportunity to restart my vehicle safely.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Jun 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on interstate at 65-70 mph and engine shuts down. I have to get to the side of the road put in park and restart it. The engine remains running when this happens but only at a idle. And a very rough idol. This happened 4 times last week. Very scary when on interstate! when I turn it off and restart it seems fine until it happens next time.

- St Henry, OH, USA

May 272013

Escape 6-cyl

While entering the highway and getting up to speed, the vehicle started to lose power. This is the third time it has happened in a 2 week period, the latest being the date identified above.

- Columbia, MD, USA

May 302013

Escape

While driving on I40 my vehicle lost the ability to accelerate. I coasted to the shoulder and the vehicle began to surge forward and stop while I attempted to put it in park. This happened twice more on this trip, after restarting the engine to rest the issue so I could drive at all. I have taken it to Ford three times for service for this. They rest code and tell me Ford is aware of the defect in the throttle body but won't fix it for free. I am in fact typing this complaint in the service waiting area. I have experienced surges forward while sitting in traffic and had all power drop out at interstate speeds. It's insane Ford hasn't recalled this part and repaired it. I hope me or my family don't have to be injured or killed for them to take care of this faulty part.

- Smyrna , TN, USA

May 232013

Escape 6-cyl

I was exiting off I-295 when the engine started to run rough and then I had no control of the gas pedal. When I pushed on it the engine did nothing but idle very roughly. The engine wrench light came on. I coasted to a stop and put it in park. The car continued to run roughly.

- Wade, NC, USA

May 082013

Escape

This vehicle has lost power unexpectedly twice in the last month while either decelerating from freeway speeds (first time) and while cruising at 65 mph (second time). In both instances the wrench lite came on and the RPM level dropped to below 900 RPM and was erratic. Luckily, I was able to put on my hazard flashers and pull to the side of the road in both cases. Both times, I shut the car off and it restarted resuming normal performance. This unpredictable loss of power can become a serious hazard in a freeway full of drivers. I see a growing number of Escape drivers experiencing the same thing, so it appears as though a trend is happening focusing on suspect throttle body units. I am sure Ford will do something about this, but wonder how bad it needs to get before they do.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

May 272013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle it started jolting and sounding as if the vehicle was dying or out of gas(I had a 3/4 tank). I shuttered to a stop and died while I was on the highway. I went to start it again and it rolled over for 20 sec and then stared. I put it in drive and it immediately bogged down and died. Al my check engine lights came on and I called my husband to come help me. When he got there he was able to start it up and get it off the road and into a parking lot before it shuttered and did again. Had it towed and this morning they call me and tell me it is the electronic throttle body. They said it is not covered under warranty and is on back order for weeks. I did some research and found out hundreds of people are having this problem too. This needs to be a recalled as it is dangerous problem.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 162013

Escape 6-cyl

I had been driving for months with my engine surging and almost pulling and dragging almost like slowing to a stop. I do not know a lot about cars so I just continued to drive it. Finally one morning in April I was on my way to work at 5am. I was turning onto the highway when while I was pressing on the gas without warning all power was lost. The engine cut off and I was able to coast over to the side of the highway. Thank god it happened right before merging onto highway ramp into on coming traffic because I could have possible been severely injured in a crash or have been a crash fatality. I took the vehicle to an auto store to have battery changed. Just a week later the problem started again. This time the surges were more evident after I was stopped at a light or stop sign. It felt as if the vehicle would start decelerating and loosing power while I was flooring the gas even on the highway. I became nervous about this where I took the vehicle in to be checked out at Ford where I was then told that it was a problem with the electronic throttle body device. I was also informed that there might be a national recall about this problem. I am very upset because no warnings were given about this potential problem because of the possible dangers with these occurrences. My vehicle is still under manufacturer's warranty, but to have this type of concerning issue now, who knows what's to come. I really want out of this vehicle and would like the option to trade it in now.

- Columbus, GA, USA

May 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Traveling at 35 mph, heard a noise and lost all but limp home mode power. No shoulder on the road and created a dangerous lane blockage. Had to be towed to dealer that does not have the needed part. Told it is on national back order. We have extended warranty with rental coverage but since the part is not available they will not pay for rental waiting for the part.

- Purcellville, VA, USA

May 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle was being driven between 25 and 40 mph and complete loss of drive power/speed occurred (vehicle abruptly slows to ~4 mph). Immediate response to get vehicle to side of road to avoid a collision. This has occurred 4 times in the past 3 weeks (two incidents on 5/19/13). Vehicle will be taken to dealer for inspection/repair week of 5/19/13. Engine stays running at idle, but very rough when in drive. If placed in neutral, engine runs, but will not rev up with gas pedal. No throttle response when issue occurs. After key off and 30 second wait and restart, vehicle performs as intended. No mil lights on dashboard. This is a serious issue.

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

Apr 252013

Escape 6-cyl

My Escape had been running rough today and decided maybe I needed to take it on the interstate. While doing about 65 the "open wrench" light came on and I lost complete power. I could not accelerate or anything else for that matter. I coasted to the emergency lane. I put the car in park and restarted the Escape and was able to make it home. I had read about numerous other related issues on this problem with the Ford Escape. I am glad I was in the right hand land and not the left lane; it could have been very dangerous.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jun 292012

Escape

While depressing brake to stop at red light or stop sign, engine surges with forced acceleration. Must hit the brake hard to hold the vehicle from going on its own. Surge lasts a long time and I must put the car in park and turn off the engine. Last time car was still surging when I restarted the vehicle, had to turn off car again. This has happened 4 times and my vehicle is still under warranty. The dealership claims they cannot fix the vehicle unless they can see this happen.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA