2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 11 of 11)

Mar 122013

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they advised the contact that the computer was reading an error and the valve assembly failed, which needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Cambridge, IL, USA

Mar 182013

Escape 6-cyl

My 2011 Escape came to a stop at a traffic light and I was preparing to make a right on red, when I began to accelerate into traffic the engine stalled. This could have resulted in a potentially deadly accident. I believe the check engine light and the battery light were both illuminated after it stalled. The vehicle started properly after I put the vehicle into park and restarted the engine. Ford must address this potentially fatal problem with it's engine design.

- Lake Villa, IL, USA

Nov 152011

Escape 4-cyl

Periodically the vehicle seems to lose power or hesitated then accelerate, I've never had it stall out. Although it happened a few times early on this problem has been more frequent lately. I have also noticed that when accelerating, for example on an incline, the vehicles takes several minutes to shift into gear. The vehicle idles very rough, it has been since I bought it but has gotten worse recently. I've mentioned it to the technician when I've taken it in for service and was told this is normal for a four cylinder. I've had many cars over the years 4 cyl and 6 cyl and I've never had this happen. I've read some of the other complaints with the same description as what my vehicle is doing.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 072011

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, there was a sudden reduction in the engine power without any warning. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. There was an open investigation associated with NHTSA action number: DP12006 (engine). The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Morristown, IN, USA

Feb 152013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle was running rough at idle and check engine light was on. At stop lights, stop signs, or any idle time car would buck forward like it was going to stall.

- Seabrook, NH, USA

Feb 242013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed as normal. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 28,520....updated 03/27/13 updated 3/28/13 the consumer stated while on his way to the dealer, the vehicle went into a lurching motion four times. Traffic was light at the time, so he was able to coast to the side of the road. Three were recorded on the black box, which reached its capacity. The last one, caused the wrench light to illuminate and it remained on. The dealer replaced the throttle body. As of 03/22/13, the vehicle was performing as designed. The consumer stated he entered a four lane divided road with little traffic coming toward him. As he entered the first westbound lane, the vehicle went into a lurching motion, slowing down his forward movement with traffic coming closer to the drivers side of the vehicle. The vehicle then went into neutral mode and he was bale to coast into the left turn lane, continue through the traffic light controlled intersection and coast to the side of the intersecting roadway. He noticed the tax showed 2,000 RPM. He cycled the key and the engine started and operated normally.

- Hobe , FL, USA

Sep 062012

Escape 4-cyl

Driving along and engine hesitated like it cut out is how it felt. This has happened many time since then. When it does this it is like it lost power as though the engine ignition was turn off.

- Fargo, ND, USA

Aug 212012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate at 70mph when my car seemed to just completely lose power. I had to coast to the side of the road, put the car in park, turn it off and restart it. The incident happened exactly the same a couple other times. Also happen once when in the middle of the city. I was at a busy intersection and the car lost power in the middle of the intersection. I was not able to go anywhere until I turned off the car and restarted it. I was nearly T-boned at 5 months pregnant. Dealer was having a hard time figuring out what was wrong but finally figured out that it was something wrong with the drive train which caused the engine to stall.

- Stockport, OH, USA

Feb 102013

Escape 6-cyl

Three times while traveling at 60+ mph on the interstate the vehicle lost all throttle response and a yellow wrench illuminated on the instrument panel. Trying to navigate from the left lane across 3 lanes of highspeed rush hour traffic was very dangerous. I took the vehicle to the local dealer as soon as possible and was told it was a bad throttle body. This incident could have resulted in serious injury.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Jan 042013

Escape 6-cyl

Turned onto my street on my way home from work and all of a sudden couldn't give the car any gas. Notice wrench light came on. Coasted into driveway turned car off-waited a few and turned back on. No light and car seemed fine. Next day took car out and just after getting on highway car did the same thing this time the check engine light came on as well. Turned off and on and wrench light went off but engine light stayed on. Drove directly to dealership. Was told it was the throttle body got stuck and was being replaced. Very dangerous when driving on busy roads!

- Yukon, OK, USA

Mar 102011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

After stopping and upon acceleration the engine completely shuts down and the car stalls. After putting the car in park and restarting the car, it runs okay. This has happened to me 4 times over a 23 month period. Each time I have taken the vehicle to the dealership. The first two times I was told the car was still breaking in and it must be due to the gas I was using. The third time, they replaced the throttle body. To my knowledge the "wrench" light only came on once. They said they had a number of vehicles that this had happened with and replacing the throttle body helped. Three weeks after they replaced the throttle body, it happened again! this time only the engine light came on. Ford says they need a code to try to fix the problem. The dealership told me that there was one other person, who has the same make and model as mine that this is happening too. This person also had the throttle body replaced. The fact that no code is tripped is a problem in itself! please help! I do not want anyone to be killed because of this problem.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Dec 132012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving at 55mph going East on 301. I stopped at a stop sign to turn left onto 305, crossing over 301 West. After stopping, I accelerated to cross over 301 West to turn onto 305 and the engine died. Luckily I had enough momentum to drift across the road and made it safely onto the shoulder of 301. If I didn't I would have been T-boned by cars traveling <55+mph.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Dec 092012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate at approx 55 to 60 miles per hour I suddenly, without any kind of warning, light etc, began to quickly slow down. The engine was still running but I did not have any forward power. I pulled over, turned it off and back on, the engine light and wrench light came on, the wrench light went out but the engine light stayed on. I started it back up, drove down the berm at about 15-20 and it did it again; I stopped turned it off and back on and managed to get off the interestate. I took it to the dealer and was told it was the throttle body; this was the throttle body that came on the vehicle. About $382 later my car seems to be doing okay. My point.....this is dangerous, extremely dangerous - luckily I didn't have a tractor trailer bearing down on me....however, there were several horns and abrupt stops. Ford needs to recall these immediately before someone is killed.

- Cross Lanes, WV, USA

Nov 182012

Escape 6-cyl

2011 Ford Escape engine stalls at random times: I bought the car as a Ford certified pre-owned vehicle in August 2012. In November the stalling issue started. It's happened to me three times now. The car just shuts off and goes into some type of idle mode and a little orange wrench appears on the dash. Two times on the interstate and again one morning coming into work. When it stalled on the freeway I was traveling at 70 mph and had to pull off into the grass -- hit something and blew a front tire. This is definitely a safety issue. After changing the front tire it started right back up but only made it 45 minutes before stalling again (this time at 45 mph and on the right side of the road). Had same stalling issue on the way to work but at a lower speed.

- Tallahassee , FL, USA

Sep 072012

Escape 4-cyl

While sitting at a busy intersection, the engine shut down completely...no warning or no indication that there was a problem. I had to put the car in park and restart. A few miles down the road, it happened again. This has happened several other times. Last night, I was traveling approximately 30 mph when it shut down again. I was almost rear-ended by the car behind me. I travel 35 miles each way to work...including some highways where the speed limit is 55mph. I'm afraid it will happen there and I'll be rear-ended by some tail-gater.

- Poquoson, VA, USA

Sep 272012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the wrench light came on and the car just died, had to pull over, the 2nd time I was going on a busy interstate and going about 70 mph I was lucky there was a place to pull off the road, but then the check engine light came on, and stayed on for the entire trip. When I arrived home and shut the car off and started it again the light was off. I looked into this since I have elderly people I take to and from dr. Visits and this seems to be an ongoing problem since 2005, I have read the complaints on line, my question is does someone have to be in a bad accident or even die before Ford will resolve this problem?

- Shelbyville, TN, USA

Jun 122012

Escape 6-cyl

While I was driving 55 mph on the interstate in the middle lane when suddenly, with no warning, we were no longer able to get enough throttle to continue moving forward. We had to coast to the side of the road. We were almost rear-ended, I really thought we were going to be killed. It is a very scary situation, going from 55 mph to nothing. The throttle body failed completely and had to be replaced. After doing research on this I have found that many other people have had this same experience, including my sisters 2010 Ford Escape with only 45000 miles on it. I had just had my 30,000 mile service done on my vehicle two weeks prior and asked them to please check the throttle body since it had happened to my sister, and it was fine at that time. I believe something needs to be done before someone is killed. When I asked what was to keep this from happening again I was told, "nothing, it could happen again at any time". when I asked if there was a recall on it, I was told, "I have been waiting on a recall on this for two years." I was told this from a Ford service person at the Ford place that repaired my vehicle in Indiana. I have reported this to Ford at the 800-392-Ford number that the same Ford service worker gave me when I asked if there was some place I could call about this situation to help get a recall. I no longer feel safe in my vehicle.

- Knoxville, TN, USA