2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 11)

Jul 192015

Escape

When accelerating from a stopped position, the vehicle felt as if it were about to stall. I pressed the clutch and the vehicle did not stall, but would not move forward. I turned the vehicle off. I restarted the vehicle (which hesitated to catch for several seconds). Upon the vehicle starting, I again attempted to accelerate through the intersection. At first the vehicle seemed ok, but shortly through the intersection the vehicle lost all acceleration. I pulled off to the side of the road and turned the vehicle off. After several minutes I restarted the vehicle and was able to continue without incident, however the "check engine" light was illuminated. I had the vehicle checked and it read error code P2111. The check engine light went out and the vehicle did not give me problems again until August 20, 2015. As I accelerated from a stopped position, the vehicle again lost all power to the engine (though it did not stall). I was able to move to the side of the road and disengage the engine. After several minutes, and with a hesitated "catch" the engine restarted. I believe this is an existing and known problem with Ford (NHTSA PE13003), however, I was told by my local dealer and Ford customer service that the warranty extension offered under that investigation does not apply to my vehicle (which falls within all of the guidelines for year, make, model, and mileage).

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Jul 072015

Escape

Today was the worst it has been, it al started about 2 months ago, it just happens without warning of any kind. But today the first time was on my way to work, luckily I had a place to pull off, turn off engine sit and start it back, not immediate I may say ( a little hesitation in the starting) then the second time (today) happened in an intersection same process, but this time was very scary, seeing how cars were coming at me honking and going around me. Then the third time (today) was on my way home from work, with my grandson in the car I might add, this accrued not 30 minutes after the 2nd incident. I had to pull off the road and repeat the process to get going again. If this continues to occur, it could turn into a very bad accident.

- Kingston, TN, USA

Nov 012014

Escape

My car will be idling and suddenly power down. Recently while I have been slowing down at a traffic light, stop light, or braking for traffic it will power down. After researching online I have found that hundreds of other Ford Escape owners have had the same issue, some have had it happen while driving at high rates of speed. I have taken it to 4 different mechanics, 2 of which are Ford dealerships and they work on it charge me a lot of money and it continues to happen. Almost a year now! I'm fed up.

- Frederick, OK, USA

Jul 132015

Escape

Traveling home on route 1 North, Massachusetts in traffic about 20mph car began to stall and sputter and wrench light came on. Brought car to auto parts store for free diagnostic immediately and inspection showed "power train issue" (are you kidding me? just purchased this used car 3 months ago!) next day, same thing happened twice. Called the dealer who sold the car to me cannot inspect the car for two weeks. This is unacceptable. Ford admits there is an issue with the electronic throttle body (etb) but has not recalled the vehicles.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Jun 272015

Escape

Was driving through town, vehicle revved up and then stalled. Stopped vehicle, turned off, and restarted. Started up without an issue. 3 days later, while driving to work, vehicles wrench indicator light came on and vehicle lost power. Restarted okay. As the week progressed, vehicle started losing power several times during my 20 mile trip to work and back, 40 miles round trip. Then on 7/7/15, vehicle lost power 4 times on my way home, the second time it lost power the engine indicator light came on and stayed on. It also took longer to restart the vehicle. Checked computer for code. Code states P 2112, tac system stuck shut. Looked up this code and info, and it seems to be related to the throttle body. I found something that states there was a recall on this part, but I was never notified of this. I would like to get this problem fixed so I can drive my vehicle. I'm nervous about driving it as I have poor signal on my cell phone between home and work and dont want to be stranded. Please help me in anyway you can.

- Oscoda, MI, USA

Jul 062015

Escape

As I was driving at 50-55 miles an hour my vehicle bucked and lost power and when accelerating it feels as if the car is going to stall. When starting up from a complete stop the car will hesitate when trying to accelerate and bucks.

- Bernardston, MA, USA

Jun 282015

Escape

Going South on I81 to watertown, NY. Vehicle quit and I coasted to the side of the highway. Tractor-trailer behind me swerved to miss me. Almost hit a car coming off the exit ramp, had no power to excelerate to get by him. Could have been a wopper of an accident.

- Alexandria Bay, NY, USA

Jun 212015

Escape

The throttle body was corroded on the vehicle causing it to stutter after starting the vehicle. After the issue occurred the vehicle would not drive or function properly. It was clearly unsafe.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

May 072014

Escape

I have had this vehicle for one year, and it would be impossible to recount all of the times it has stalled on me while driving it. It has stalled in parking lots, in heavy stop-and-go traffic, making turns, pulling into my driveway, and accelerating to enter the freeway. It started within two months of purchase. I took it to a Ford dealership in August of 2014 where they performed recall work which included throttle body replacement, reprogrammed the PCM, and a power steering advisory item. The vehicle continued to stall. The stalling seems to happen just after fill-up and happens intermittently until the gas gauge reads less than three-fourths and at low speeds. I filled it up yesterday, and it has stalled seven times since then. It happens when coasting to a stop or making a turn. On the freeway at high speeds, it runs well. The issue was compounded in February when it was discovered that the evap canister was full of gas. It, along with a tube hose assembly (bl8Z9D667B-af), was replaced only for it to happen again. The purge valve was stuck open and had to be replaced along with a second evap canister. The stalling issue continued, and the dealership found the canister to be saturated with gas again. This time, they said they would have to replace the gas tank to correct the issue as they believe it is a valve built into the tank which seems absurd. I have not done this since they quoted a cost of over $2000. Even if I have that done, it will only correct the canister issue, not the stalling. I have read hundreds of posts on the internet from people who have the exact same problems with the same model year as I have. These are both issues that I believe to be the result of a defect in the manufacturing of this vehicle due to the volume of owners who are experiencing the same problems. I feel Ford needs to step up and correct these issues.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Apr 092015

Escape

I was accelerating to merge onto I-495 in northern Virginia, attaining a speed of approximately 55 mph. When I removed my foot from the gas pedal (because I had reached my desired speed), the car continued to accelerate uncontrollably. I applied full pressure to the break with both feet, but the car continued to surge forward. I attained a speed of almost 100 mph, even with both feet fully decompressing the break. Both shoulders of the interstate had construction, so there was no shoulder to utilize on either side. After weaving in and out of traffic, I finally found a suitable off ramp. After pulling the emergency break, putting the car in neutral, and eventually park, the car came to a very abrupt stop (just before I reached a busy intersection at the end of the off ramp). The breaks continued to smoke for another 45 minutes after coming to a stop and cutting the engine. I do not know how I'm alive, but I am grateful.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 192015

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the check engine light and check fuel inlet illuminated on the instrument panel. Also, the contact stated the water pump failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 66,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 4/29/15

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Jan 012015

Escape

Since January, vehicle would randomly stall with no warning. First alerted when pressing on the gas and vehicle kept slowing down then engine, battery, oil lights lit up. I placed the vehicle in park and restarted. Noticed when it happens randomly since, that the RPM drop quickly below 1. has been in Ford services department 3 times within the past 2-3 weeks. They changed filter, cleaned carbon build-up. Second time at Ford, they changed the throttle body. The last time stall occurred was on DC beltway during rush hour traffic in fast moving traffic - panic experience! it was towed to Ford, kept 4 days - drove around claimed could not find anything. They want me to take the vehicle back. I am in fear causing an accident, injuring myself, passengers including my grandchildren, and other drivers with their passengers. This vehicle is wonder as far as comfort and gas mileage but is a risk to safety. Not worth keeping and should be label a lemon if they can't fix.

- Saint Leonard, MD, USA

Mar 112014

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving at 11 pm on a country road, when my vehicle just stopped, I coasted around a corner and put on my flashers. I was in the middle of no where and it was very dark. This is the third time this has happened to this vehicle. I contacted Ford road side emergency service and they informed my vehicle was no longer under warranty for towing and I would have to pay for the wrecker. I had just got the vehicle out of the shop from the Ford dealer for the same problem, which they had for over two weeks because they said they were waiting on a part because they said it was the fuel pump and no one had one so they had to order it. I got the car out that day about 11am, which I had to pay $176, plus over $30.. for a rental for 5 days, that's all they would cover. I had to sat in the dark and rain for two hours waiting on a wrecker in the middle of the road. I am 67 years old and thank goodness my sister in law was with me, because I don't know what would have happened. The wrecker towed my vehicle to Ford and I am waiting on them to open so I can call them so they can tell me what is wrong.

- Dayton, TX, USA

Dec 012014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Truck jumps and jerks at initial acceleration. Problem does not happen all the time. When it does, wrench light comes on and sometimes check engine comes on. If I stop, turn vehicle off, and restart it, the wrench light goes off. Problem does not happen all the time. One time I did have serious slow down mode happen. I was traveling about 50 mph, lights came on and truck slowed way down. Jerking and jumping at start up is not safe I think. Problem sounds like Ford csp 13N03 to me. I am calling dealer today for appt. Thank you

- Ft Pierce, FL, USA

Apr 092014

Escape 4-cyl

1st time I was coming to a stop at a light and the vehicle wanted to surge forward several times, when light turned green I tried to accelerate and it hesitated. This would happen every now and again, not a continuous issue. In Dec 2014 it happened again this time with the vehicle stalling, put in park and it started right up but hesitated when accelerating, did this several times within a 5 mile span. Parked, did my 8 hour work day came out, started right up and no issues driving home. Later that night my husband drove it and it stalled on him 3 times with the check engine light coming on. Code P144A came up, took it to my mechanic and was told the code thrown should not cause stalling issues. This has been an ongoing battle, sometimes the vehicle running great, sometimes I don't know if I'll make it to my destination. This happens at all speeds; in city, interstate, or at a complete stop. I only have 72000 in mileage and my vehicle is well kept, what is going on"!"

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 102014

Escape 4-cyl

The engine has stalled on multiple occasions. Several of the incidents have occurred when making a turn, either right or left, at a low speed with no pressure being applied to either the gas or brake pedal. The most recent events have been when turning onto a street with oncoming traffic. I make the turn and press on the gas only to find that the engine has stalled. I have to stop and restart the vehicle. This makes for a dangerous situation as you end up with little control of the vehicle. It has also stalled in parking lots when coasting at a low speed waiting on another car. I purchased this vehicle used in may of 2014 and had to take it to a local Ford dealership the very next month (June 2014). The dealership replaced the throttle body and motor assembly and also reprogrammed the PCM per the 13N01 recall. Within two months, the issue was back, this is January of 2015, and the issue has gotten much worse. I have read that it could be a type of relay switch located in the under-the-hood fuse box. If Ford doesn't fix this issue, there will eventually be wrecks and possible fatalities.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Dec 012014

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the engine stalled and all the warning lights illuminated. The contact also stated there was smoke coming from the front of the vehicle. The contact opened the hood and noticed that a fire had erupted. A police report was filed and the vehicle was towed to an impound lot. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 102014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving on a regular street in my area at the rate of 35. The speed limit is 40, so I decided to increase my speed to that of the speed limit. When I proceeded to accelerate, it appeared that the engine was just spinning, but not accelerating, when all of a sudden, it just lunged forward, not once, but twice. This was quite frightening as I had no advanced warning this was going to happen. After that incident, it appeared to be driving normal, until it happened again about a week later. I am afraid whenever I get behind the wheel now, but it is the only vehicle I own and I use it to get back and forth to work, so I am proceeding with extreme caution.

- Plano, TX, USA

Nov 252014

Escape 6-cyl

Like many other reports I have read the vehicle ceased to respond on 11/24/2014. The engine was still running (rough), the wrench light came on I was unable to get any power when pushing the gas pedal. Turned it off and restarted (sluggish) but then like nothing happened made it to my destination. Happened again 11/30/2014 this time I was traveling at 35mph. Pulled over and restarted and then it happened again about a mile further down the road. This time after shutting it off and restarting the check engine light came on and stayed on. Why is this not a recall issue? all other post have mentioned throttle body. Its a major safety issue if I was on the highway or in heavy traffic it could of ended in a serious or fatal situation.

- Boston, MA, USA

Oct 142014

Escape 6-cyl

Car lost power suddenly while driving on freeway at 65 mph. I pulled over to right lane in heavy rush hour traffic. I coasted at reduced and slowing speed to the next an exit ramp, which was another freeway. Several cars were honking and passing me on the exit ramp. I pulled over and drove on shoulder for another mile until I came to a slight hill. I stopped on the narrow shoulder because the car would not move. The engine was still running, but at low RPM. The wrench icon showed on the dashboard. I turned engine off and waited several minutes. It had full power when I restarted, giving me room to drive to next exit less than a block away, but lost power again minutes later. I exited on to century ave, dodging oncoming cars coming at full speed. I pulled to a service station right off the highway.

- Woodbury, MN, USA