2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 11)

Feb 222014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle jerked violently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 44,000.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jan 302014

Escape 6-cyl

When pressing on the gas the car shifts really hard. Then it seems like there is no get up and go afterwards. The transmission is shifting hard.

- Pekin, IL, USA

Aug 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Lost throttle control, pulled over, turned engine off, and restarted to correct problem. This happened three more times over following month at 70mph on freeway, 50mph on surface street and an intersection at a stoplight. Exact same behavior (loss of accelerator, turn engine off, restart). Dealership replaced throttle body. Five months (7,000 miles) later problem occurred again at a busy intersection almost resulting in a serious traffic accident. I took it back to Ford, they performed tests, said they already replaced the throttle body with the new one and made no repair even though I told them the car was unsafe to drive with the defect. There will be serious accidents that result from this defect.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Feb 072014

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the street at 40 mph my car stalled and stopped running. There were other cars behind me. I had to coast off the road and restart my vehicle.

- Sanger, TX, USA

Jan 282014

Pulling out of the driveway of my home, the car surged forward on its own and narrowly missed the neighbor. This surging of the engine on its own is going to cause a death one of these days. Ford really needs to look into this.

Dec 302013

Escape 6-cyl

Accelerated from a stop and car lurched and engine seemed about to quit, got "wrench light" and was able to creep to get into parking lot. Took car to dealer and they ran diagnostics on car and said the throttle body needed to be replaced.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jan 102014

On 1/10/14 upon pulling onto an exit off of a major interstate as I slowed down the engine shut off. The vehicle had power but the engine shut off on it's own. I put hazard lights on, car in park and started again fine. Again later that evening I was on my way home from work and upon pulling off an exit the engine stalled again. 1/11/14 I drove home on a major highway, came to stop light and engine lost power again. I was able to coast to a stop and park. Engine restarted fine and vehicle proceeded to stall at the next intersection. This to me is dangerous losing engine power. I am afraid this could cause me to be rear-ended if this keeps up. I am seeing the dealer first thing next week.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Sep 192013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving at a speed of 25 mph and car suddenly lost engine power and coasted to a stop. Turned car off for 5 minutes then started car back up and it ran fine. Next day did same thing at 45mph with same results. Week later same thing only this time on the interstate highway going 70 mph. Same results: Coasted to stop, let car sit for a few minutes then restarted and ran fine. Next day, same thing at 50 mph entering the highway. Next day took car to dealership. Dealership repaired car. We had to pay for repair. Since the repair. No issues.

- Independence, TN, USA

Dec 222013

While trying to accelerate to enter merging highway, my 2011 Ford Escape took many seconds to stall and then finally engage. My son asked why does this always happen, and its not safe to drive not knowing when entering the traffic, that you will not know if the car is going to make it in the traffic. I drove far and quite a bit yesterday and it happened 3 times. I am taking the car in next week, even though the dealer thinks nothing is wrong.

Dec 222013

Escape 6-cyl

My daughter was driving, and had pulled from a stop sign. The vehicle seemed to stall, and she had no control- no brakes, no throttle, the emergency brake didn't stop her, and she finally pushed it into park and that did nothing. It rolled to a stop, although the engine seemed to be running. She turned off the engine, and after a few minutes, restarted it. It restarted, and she proceeded to drive to her destinations which was closeby. Very scary, but fortunately, no other real traffic, but this could have been tragic.

- Exton, PA, USA

Dec 162013

Escape 6-cyl

After intermittent 3 times in 2 weeks, had throttle body cleaned 12/14/2013 per Ford tsb. On this date, 12/16/13 it failed again and had the throttle body replaced at my expense. Ford would not cover it after 36,000 or 3 years as out of warranty. It was an extremely hazardous condition not to replace. This part should be recalled immediately for replacement.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Oct 112013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving approx. 10 mph, the gas peddle stopped working, I would press it but nothing happened. The little wrench appeared on the dash. I stopped and the motor started running loudly and roughly shaking the vehicle. I put it in park, turned off the key, waiting a moment and restarted it. The restart took longer then normal but it was fine after that. This has happened 5 times now, each time I was going approx. 10-15 mph. It's dangerous because the car cannot driven out of the way of other vehicles. The 3rd time this happened I was slowing turning left through an intersection, there was oncoming traffic, had the car not cut off, I would have been safe to clear the intersection however it cut off making the oncoming driver swerve into the other lane to avoid hitting me. It's very scary and dangerous.

- Kearneysville, WV, USA

Oct 172013

While daughter driving vehicle in houston, driving on freeway, approx. 65 mph, vehicle lost engine acceleration power, no response from gas pedal, warning lights (wrench symbol) illuminated. Had to coast/idle across traffic lanes to get to shoulder out of traffic- very dangerous and scary - turned off engine, restarted, vehicle then operated as normal at the time, but event has since been recurring. Now has happened 6 other times... very dangerous situation for any driver, especially a young driver. Might add that this particular model is very popular with young adults - you will see many in college towns. Very dangerous. Internet research reveals many complaints and probable cause suspected to be throttle body malfunction. Manufacturer must be aware by now. Having car repaired - expecting cost of approximately $600 - $800.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Dec 062013

Escape 6-cyl

This happened twice and I've only had the car 3 months. It' stalls when I'm driving. I had to stop the car on the george Washington bridge in NY/NJ. Turn off the engine and start again. This was extremely dangerous and terrifying to go through!! today there was smoke coming through the front engine. Please advise me.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Dec 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the highway on the way home from work in busy traffic, suddenly the engine came to an idle and a small icon of a "wrench" lit up on the dashboard. After trying to maneuver through traffic on the busy highway at 5 mph (almost causing an accident) I was able to get to the side of the road. I shut the car off and restarted it, the icon of the wrench was gone and the car proceeded to run fine. I'm reporting this because I have heard this happen to other people and it was caused by a throttle body malfunction. This is an extremely dangerous situation on a busy highway.

- Garfield Heights , OH, USA

Jan 022013

Escape 4-cyl

The engine surges and stalls at the most unusual moments. There seems to be no reason for the surge and stalling, but can become very dangerous. I have learned to leave extra extra room in case of surging and I also have adopted the policy of when making decisions to enter traffic, I must account for "in case the car stalls, will I die". 2011 Ford Escape limited.

Nov 182013

Escape 6-cyl

NHTSA action number - DP12006 vehicle stalls going 65 mph. Issue is not covered under the 100,000 mile warranty why"??? why has there not been a recall on this issue?????"

- Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 222013

Several weeks earlier, as a was stopped at a traffic light, my car started bucking or surging, feeling as though it was going to stall. It did not stall at that point. A few minutes later, as a was slowed down by a bus, it did stall. Restarted very easily and I kept driving. Every few days, we would notice the surging, and the check engine light was on. Took it to the dealer and the was told there was a problem with the fuel system, but they weren't sure what exactly. Stalled a second time post dealer visit. This morning, as I was in motion at 35 miles an hour, the car suddenly shut off. I coasted very easily to the shoulder, but could not restart. Car has been towed to the local dealer. Awaiting their answer, but sounds very much like the other throttle body issues I've read on here. I'm fortunate to have been on the highway yet, especially with my young child in the back seat. This was a scary situation, and I'm not pleased that the previous recall did not include the 2011 model year. Please reopen the investigation.

- Williamsport, PA, USA

Nov 162013

While driving in the middle lane of I 85 the engine turned off. I could not accelerate. The right lane became clear and I coasted the car onto the shoulder of the road. This was a terrifying experience especially at this speed with cars behind me.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Nov 192013

Escape 6-cyl

This is the second time this has happened to me. Both time I was on my way to work. The first time I was going about 45mph turning on the street to my office and the engine dies. I have no power. I am pressing on the gas and nothing. I stop the car and pit it in park. I restart the car and it starts right up. I think oh no big deal maybe I have a bad tank of gas. Maybe the engine was not getting any fuel. Did not think too much into the problem this morning it happens again! except I was going a lot faster and I was on the highway. I am going about 65mph and 10 minute away from work. I am in the far left lane and the engine dies. I instantly panic and need to get over five lanes of traffic. I put my flashers on luckily I still have power for those. I was able to get over on the side of the road before I came to a complete stop. I put it in park and take the key out. Sit there for a minute while I catch my breath because I just crossed 5 lanes of rush hour traffic with a engine that is not on. I put the key in and it starts right up. I press on the gas and I have power again. Why is this happening? I have been reading online about this problem and it sounds like this is happening to a lot of us. Ford is wrong for not coming out with a recall by now.

- Fenton, MO, USA