2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Jul 302013

Escape 6-cyl

We had our 2011 Escape in the dealership 2 times due to it completely shutting down while driving before they could figure out that is was a failed throttle body (electrical issue). They told us it was "bad gas" every other time. We had our infant in the vehicle when it shut down on the freeway and scared the crap out of us. Thankfully we were able to get away from other vehicles and make an emergency exit from the freeway onto the shoulder until the vehicle came to a stop. Its extremely dangerous and Ford needs to address this and create a recall. I have done research to find so many others with the same exact issue. Our vehicle is in the shop as we speak to the tune of a $500 fix and I just got off the line with Ford customer service to demand a reimbursement. I am waiting to hear back from them to see if they will work with us on the cost. Our vehicle only has 44K miles on it and we had it serviced before the warranty expired and were told everything was fine. We also had it in for service other times for this issue.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jul 302013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine cut out while driving at about 55mph and 'check engine' light lit up on the dashboard. I pulled over to side of road and waited about ten minutes before re-starting vehicle. The vehicle started ok but 'check engine' light stayed on. I took it to service station and they ran diagnostic and got code P2111 - throttle actuator stuck open. I made repair appointment at Ford dealer for next day. While driving home from work the engine stalled at a traffic light but re-started ok.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Jul 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Receiving a P2111 code on diagnostics. Needs new throttle body. On national backorder. I am out a vehicle until this is repaired, and cannot afford a rental, or a new one. It is my understanding that this is a common problem on these vehicles, that Ford has known about. They need to issue a recall.

- Minford, OH, USA

Jun 012012

Escape 6-cyl

Going down road, first no gas pedal control, then starts to make engine and whole vehicle pulsate. Starting to get worse and dangerous, about 3 TO4 times a trip. Dealer has told us the part is on backorder, meanwhile trying to deal with it.

- Northeast, PA, USA

Jul 282013

I was about two blocks from home, driving the SUV and slowed down to turn the corner, when I tried to hit the gas to accelerate, the car wouldn't accelerate past 5mph. The wrench icon came on, and the RPM wouldn't go past 1. when I restarted it, it worked fine. I had the car towed to the dealership. This is the second time that this has happened. My car is only 2 years old. The first incident was when it was 6 months old.

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

Jan 272012

I was about two blocks from home, driving the SUV and slowed down to turn the corner, when I tried to hit the gas to accelerate, the car wouldn't accelerate past 5mph. A few lights came on the dashboard and I was able to drive it home. When I restarted it, it worked fine. I had the car towed to the dealership, which said they couldn't duplicate the problem. I had only owned the car for 6 months at the time.

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

May 142013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving at freeway speed when engine lost all power. Unable to accelerate. Engine light and wrench light came on. Was able to pull to the side of the road. Restarted vehicle and proceeded back on to freeway. Incident repeated 5 times in 10 miles of driving. Finally located a Ford dealership. Computer code indicated faulty throttle body. Unable to repair same day because dealership did not have the part. Called 7 different dealerships within a 200 mil radius and advised no one had the part in stock. Appears this is a popular problem. Finally found the part the following day and dealer installed. No problems since. Was forced to drive the vehicle until the part arrived as I was out of town on business when this occurred. The loss of acceleration resulted in dangerous situations. I experienced this not only at highway speed but also when trying to enter the freeway. I was almost hit twice.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jul 182013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was taking her mother home on the 18th of July when the Escape started to hesitate and surge going up a hill. When she pressed on the gas pedal there was no response from the engine.the powertrain and engine lights came on so she called me immediately. She was afraid to leave it running so she shut it down. What made things worse was the fact that it was 97 degrees out that day and she had her mother with her who is handicapped. After the engine cooled a bit, I was able to drive it the rest of the way to her mother's house. After dropping her off, the vehicle broke down twice on the way to the repair facility. It turned out to be a problem with the throttle body. As a former mechanic and now a parts person I can say with confidence that this is definitely a safety issue.

- Barboursville, VA, USA

Jul 102012

Escape 6-cyl

Small surges just after stops. Total loss of power at highway speeds. July 2012 showed the check engine light, and had to coast to side of the road, gas pedal totally dead, engine and car still running. Turn off and restart and all check engine lights go away and car acts normally. Dealership found no codes. June 2013 again total loss of power at highway speeds, this time powertrain light comes on, and the car has to coast to the side of the road, gas pedal totally dead, engine and car still running. Turn off and restart and all powertrain lights go away and car acts normally. This loss of power has happened 15-20 times to date from July 2012 to July 2013.

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Jul 252013

When accelerating on the highway and reaching 60mph, suddenly the acceleration stopped and the car began to go into limp mode. With no acceleration, I veered off the highway and was unable to throttle the car forward. When in park, the engine seemed to be "kicking" and struggled to stay on. Wrench light went on. Turned car off. Turned car back on after a long hesitated start and the vehicle was able to move forward with acceleration. Wrench light came off. I took the car to the Ford dealership and they told me I needed a new throttle body. I replaced the throttle body. Similar issue happened with a friend of mine, same year, make, and model. His was under warranty, mine not.

- Montgomery, IL, USA

Jul 202013

I was traveling 60 mph on the highway when the vehicle lost power, I had to coast over to the side of the road, turn off the vehicle and turn it back on. The vehicle would start but then return to idle with no throttle response. This went on repeatedly before I had to have it towed to a dealership. Because this occurred on a Saturday afternoon the service department was closed and I was unable to speak to anyone. First thing Monday morning when I went in they first told me they did not know about the problems with the throttle control unit. Upon presenting them with numerous copies of complaints filed on line they finally acknowledged that there was a problem. However with no recall I would need to pay for a replacement which with towing resulted in a $550 bill. Apparently I was very lucky that there was one replacement in stock (hmmm), otherwise it would be weeks. I hope the replacement works because it has been a chronic problem for months. Skeptical to say the least.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 062013

Escape 6-cyl

The engine intermittently stalled/quit while driving at speed on numerous occasions. We took it to a Ford dealership. Diagnostics by their service department identified the problem as a defective throttle body.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Jul 172013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at freeway speeds, A/C was running (max A/C) and suddenly white smoke/mist was coming out of vents. The cabin started to smell like coolant. No indicator lights came on, engine temp remained normal, but it continued to come out along with cool air. This initially happened during morning commute, and same thing happened during evening commute. After taking to dealership for service, the diagnosis was that the heater core needs to be replaced, at an estimate of $1,150. Called Ford to report the problem, as a heater core should not have to be replaced on a vehicle with this few miles on it, and just over two years old. Waiting for resolution. Will be almost a week without car.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Jul 182013

Escape 6-cyl

After traveling for a approximately 45 minutes, my car stopped accelerating down the road. At this point my gas pedal would not make a difference in RPM or speed, then my engine began shaking violently. I barely was able to make it to the shoulder of the interstate. Then, a wrench light came on the dash of my vehicle. I then turned the ignition off. Upon restarting the vehicle, the light was gone and the gas pedal worked once more. I merged into traffic and continued on my trip with slight hesitation on the remainder of my trip. This whole scenario happened again on the 19th of July 2013 only 20 minutes into my trip home. Vehicle is currently at Ford dealership being checked out.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jul 042013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway, going about 70mph on cruise control. The cruise control suddenly disengaged and the car started slowing down, plus the wrench maintenance sign in the dashboard lit up. I hit the gas and nothing would happen, I basically put the gas pedal to the floor with no results. I pulled over to the side of the road, avoiding traffic, and parked the car. Once the car was in park, the car started vibrating heavily. I shut the car down and waited about 5-10 minutes and then started the car again, it took about 3 tries to get the car to start again. I took the car to the mechanic, they could not get the car repeat the fails at that time, so they could not determine what happened. About a week later, I'm on the highway headed to work and it happens again, same situation, except this time all the lights in the dashboard lit up and I was not using cruise control. I took the car back to the mechanic and he worked on it for a few days, came back and said that the throttle body was malfunctioning and it needed to be replaced. Before I did that, I called the Ford dealership and explained the situation to the lead mechanic there and without even seeing the car, he agreed with my mechanic that it 100% sounded like a throttle body problem. So it has been replaced and I have had the car back with no problems since then.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

My car has "missed" or "skipped" a couple of times in the past few weeks. Yesterday, it quit pulling. The motor was still running, but would not accelerate. The engine light and the wrench light came on. When I was able to pull over, while coasting, I turned off the ignition - restarted the car, and drove another 2 miles, and it happened again. I restarted the car, drove another couple of miles, and it did it again. I was able to get my car home, which was only 2 miles from where I stopped the last time. I understand it's a problem with the throttle body - an ongoing problem with Ford Escape. My Escape will go to the dealership tomorrow.

- Hayesville, NC, USA

Jul 192013

My vehicle stalled while I was turning - this is the fourth time I have had it serviced for stalling - the other three times they have accused me of filling it too much, which I do not - and they have changed the fuel vapor store - evap canister. Obviously, this is not the problem. I also have transmission issues where it jerks and makes a loud noise into reverse. I love my car, but can't deal with the issues it continually gives me - my next car will be a GM product.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Jul 152013

Car drifted to a stop while in gear. Turned off ignition. Restated car. It accelerated in park without having foot on gas peddle. Tried driving again, the car repeated this pattern 3 more times. Finally got it to operate after letting it rest for several minutes. I was a wreck driving it home, 5 miles. The car was bought used only 4 days prior to the incident. It has ruined my confidence in this vehicle.

- Glenside, PA, USA

Jul 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving home from work, I was traveling at aprox. 35mph when it first happened. My RPM gauge started to "bounce" from 1 to 4 repeatedly. Make it very hard to stop and could not give it gas. At the same time, my power-train warning light came on along with my check engine light. I was able to pull over and call for assistance.

- Cleves, OH, USA

Jul 162013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down a neighborhood street, when without warning, I suddenly had no power at all. My acceleration was gone, and I thought that the engine had died, however everything was running, and the engine light was not on. I pumped the gas pedal and got nothing, fortunately there was a convenience store coming up on my right, which I was able to turn into. At that point I noticed the "wrench" icon lighted up on the dashboard, I thought it might be a good idea to turn the engine off and see if it was a glitch, since I had just had the oil changed at the dealership earlier in the day. At least I was hoping that was the case. The car started perfectly, it took a few seconds to shake itself, which still worried me, and proceeded to act normally as I drove home, where I currently am. I advised my son about what happened and he checked up on auto defects on the Ford Escape and brought them to my attention, that is why I am reporting what happened to me today. I will be bringing this to the attention of the dealership first thing tomorrow morning due to my needing the use of my vehicle for work.

- Beaumont, TX, USA