2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Jun 012013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and suddenly my vehicle lost all RPM's, I coasted on to the side of the road and turned my vehicle off. During this time a wrench light also came on my vehicle. A few minutes later I restarted it and it went aprox 1/2mile before doing it again. I again pulled over, restarted engine and was able to drive home with no further problems. This has happened multiple times since in the past 2 weeks. The Ford service dept told me that this is not covered under warranty and they are unable to fix it without us paying in full for the repair. The wrench light does not stay on. We were told the actuator was stuck open.

- Keithville, LA, USA

Jun 252013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling and suddenly lost power or throttle control. The car started stumbling and I had no power as I pushed on accelerator. The wrench symbol came on my control panel.

- Mason, TX, USA

Jun 232013

Escape 4-cyl

At a stop light, accelerating through the intersection at approx. 30 mph, the car jerked and lost speed. Put gas pedal down to floor. The car was never able to go over 10 mph. Had vehicle towed to dealership where I was told today it was a defective throttle body and due to back order on the part it would take up to 2-3 weeks to receive a part. This exact same thing happened to my brother's 2009 Ford Escape. Seems if this is recurrent issue it should be recalled seeing as the potential danger to the driver and other's on the road.

- Stafford, TX, USA

Apr 282013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The first of 4 incidents occurred while driving on the belt parkway in brooklyn NY. I was driving at a speed of 65 mph in the left lane on a stretch of highway with no shoulder on the left side of the road when I lost all pedal power. I wasn't able to accelerate. The engine was running and all the electronics were working properly except for not being able to accelerate. The small icon of a wrench appeared on the dash. I managed to cross three lanes of heavy traffic to the right shoulder. I put the vehicle in park and stepped on the accelerator to rev the engine, nothing happened. It seemed like there was no gas getting to the engine. I then shut down the engine and checked the owners manual for the icon of the wrench. The description of the wrench icon states that a throttle control/powertrain fault has been detected and I should contact an authorized dealer as soon as possible. Upon contacting the dealer he indicated that they have been having a problem with the throttle body on my make and model and also stated that my warranty had expired and there was no recall issued for this problem. The cost was my responsibility. I proceeded to have them order me a new throttle body. The lead time would be 2-3 weeks for the new part. During that time the same problem has happened 3 more times, 2 of which were at a speed of 65 mph and 1 time starting off from a red light at a speed of less that 10 mph. After researching this problem on line I have found this to be a major issue and a recall for the throttle body should be issued and repairs made by Ford at no cost to the owners. I feel that I was put in a very dangerous life threatening position.

- Holmdel, NJ, USA

Jun 112013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle went into limp-home mode while under light acceleration. Had to be towed to dealership. Dealer diagnosed as throttle body failure.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Jun 052013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle has stalled on me on 5 different times. Always during a turn at slow speeds. I have had to put the vehicle in neutral and restart it. The last time it happened, was on June 5th. There was a car behind me and I was able to avoid it hitting me. I reported this to my Ford dealership and they checked the vehicle out and could not find any problems. I also notice that at times when I am trying to accelerate that the car will kind of jerk or surge, almost like it's trying to get fuel to the engine.

- Bermuda Dunes, CA, USA

Jun 212013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled. The check engine warning light did not illuminate until after the failure occurred. The contact was able to restart vehicle however, the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who inspected the vehicle and determined that the failure was caused by the throttle body. The failure was not reported to the manufacturer. The failure and current mileage was 29,900.

- Temple , TX, USA

Jun 182013

I was making a left turn from a road with a 45 mph limit. I just initiated the turn when it felt like I lost all power & was barely coasting. I waited 'til the road was clear to turn, but now there were 2 cars bearing down on me sounding their horns & with squealing tires as they attempted to avoid hitting me. I barely made it out of the intersection. At what felt like one mph, I drove onto the shoulder, turned off the car & gathered my wits as I was terrified. Turned the car back on & it was the same, but noticed a wrench on the display. Turned my car off & called my mechanic for a tow. While waiting, tried turning the car on again & it worked. Drove to the mechanic & he said it was a throttle body assembly problem, but no code had been set in the computer. He called schaumburg Ford & they said unless a code was set, it was not covered by warranty. I would have to drive the car 'til it failed again & set the code--like driving a time bomb! the next day I went to hopkins Ford where I bought the car 6/30/12 & they said the throttle body assembly failed the test, so it would be covered by warranty, but that it would be at least July before they could get the part because so many have failed & are on order. I would have to drive the car 'til then. Later that day they contacted me & said Ford advised this would not be covered by warranty & the service person estimated the repair at over $500. With this many failed throttle body assemblies, this sounds like a recall item. Sure hope I don't get killed or kill somebody while I wait for the part.

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Apr 272013

Driving on the interstate at the speed of 60 mph, the car started jerking and the acceleration was going down even though my pressure on the gas hadn't changed. The check engine light and the service light came on. I pulled over, turned off the engine and let it sit for 10 mins then started it up and drove home. I took it to the dealership the next day and they did a diagnostic test; nothing failed, they told me to keep driving it and if it happened again to drive it straight to them. It happened again less then 2 months later this time on a sun. Driving on the interstate at 60 again, the car started jerking and the acceleration went down. Same lights came on. I pulled over, turned off the engine and let it sit for 10 mins then started it up and drove for a bit. Happened back to back 3 more times trying to get as close to home as possible. After the 3rd time I believed the risk was too high to continue driving. Called for roadside assistance and had it towed to dealership. They tested and found out it had a bad throttle. It was told the part is on back order because several people were experiencing this problem. The foreseen wait is 12 days to a month.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 152013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph the vehicle decelerated on its own. The contact stopped the vehicle on the emergency lane and was able to continue driving normally after restarting it. The wrench warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated a valve had to be replaced. After the vehicle was repaired the failure continued to occur. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Apr 222013

Escape 4-cyl

Repeated stalling of vehicle while in the flow of traffic at highways speeds. No shoulder to pull off on. Car has to be completely stopped and restarted to drive again. First visit to dealership they told us the cost to replace the throttle body. The car is less than 3 years old and barely out of warranty. They told us we could continue to drive the vehicle while the part is on order. They don't expect to have the parts for another 6 weeks! in the meantime, the car continues to have repeated problems and would just stop and jerk suddenly upon acceleration and the engine would stop functioning. We had the car towed to a different Ford dealer and are waiting on them to complete a diagnostic evaluation. Scared for our lives! surely a recall will reimburse us for repairs, towing and rent car. What a nightmare!!

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jun 082013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling approximately 70 mph on the interstate. My car shifted quickly into a low gear and the wrench light came on the dashboard indicating a powertrain failure. I was able to maneuver off the freeway and shut the car down. It would start up again, and we limped into the Ford dealership which was about 1/4 mile away. The dealership replaced the "throttle body" and indicated I was the "third one this week".

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving the car we start to excel and the car shuts down due to the throttle body not functioning right.

- Marble Falls, TX, USA

May 312013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving car started to shimmy, then would no longer accelerate. Turned off. Restarted and was able to drive home. On the way to the repair shop on June 3, 2013, while driving the car started to shimmy then would no longer accelerate. Turned off. Restarted and was able to drive to the repair shop.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 242013

Escape 6-cyl

This vehicle is driven by my son while he is at college. The vehicle has had approximately 8 instances in the past 6-9 months (7 of those in the past month during a one week time period) in which the vehicle has lost a significant amount of power and speed which has required him to pull off the highway for his safety. Once off the highway, he turned the vehicle off and then turned the vehicle back on which cleared the problem. At the time of these issues, the vehicle had approximately 38,000 miles and was 2 1/4 years old. He subsequently took the vehicle in for service, several days after the week in which he had 7 separate incidents, and the Ford dealer replaced the throttle body. There appears to be a significant body of knowledge that indicates Ford has a problem with the throttle body on late-model Escapes. Ford should, at a minimum, acknowledge this safety concern, and also make repairs at no cost to the consumer, to mitigate this problem.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jun 052013

Escape 6-cyl

The car came to a sudden stop without warning, it seems to have a faulty throttle body.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 312013

I was driving up a hill when my engine shut off and car started lurching forward. The brakes slowed the car down but lurching continued. The car restarted okay but stalled several more times as I was driving it to the dealer. There were no warning lights on and I have always taken great care of the car. There were no odd noises or signs that something was wrong until the car stopped. I am thankful that I was on a neighborhood road and not a busy street or highway. Dealer says the issue is the electronic throttle body which is on national backorder and may take 6-8 weeks to repair. If something is on national backorder, does that mean this is happening to others as well? please investigate.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 172013

Escape 4-cyl

Engine stalls upon acceleration, have to pull over and turn the engine off and then do a restart. It is now at the dealership with a defective throttle body waiting on the part. I now understand it is being re-designed with no eta on manufacture or delivery to my dealer.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

May 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle was accelerated to cross an intersection and engine decelled to an idle condition - this happened at speed also - very dangerous loss of power without notice - almost caused an accident. Was very intermittent to begin with - dealer attempted tshoot and repair but no codes found - next day after dealer attempt problem happened numerous times and the dealer determined a bad throttle body.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Feb 082012

Escape 4-cyl

Engine will start head down the road and all the sudden will lose pick up, push on the gas and nothing happens then all the sudden it will speed up, including this one that I have estimated the date and mileage Ford replaced the throttle body under warranty.....the second time this happened was on 02sep12 mileage was 39619 it did the same thing but left me on the side of the road and had to be towed(90$) to repair, Ford found the throttle body unable to maintain idle cost me almost 400$ to repair, that leads us up to today where I was going down the highway at about 60 miles an hour and all the sudden it cut out and had to cost out of heavy traffic after about 2-3 min the truck picked up and ran fine till I got home and called Ford and asked them what I need to do cause its doing the same thing it had the previous times.was instructed to get it to a service dept to have it checked, on the way to Ford during heavy traffic the car stalled in an intersection and thankfully the other driver was paying attention he was able to stop their could have def been a fatal injury if not but as I was told by Ford that I would also have to pay for this throttle body because it was out of warranty due to mileage 04jun13 58053 miles.

- Raleigh, NC, USA