2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 12 of 12)

Mar 042013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate independently and would not accelerate beyond 5 mph. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 32,000.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Feb 252013

We were just pulling out onto the highway when the car lost all power. It jerked forward and then stopped. We were stopped on the highway and could not get the car to forward. I turned the car off waited a few minutes and then tried again. The car again jerked forward went a short distance and then shut down again, on the highway. Luckily we were only a mile or so from the dealership where we bought the car. We turned the car off and started it 5 times and were able to get the mile to the dealership. When this first happened, a wrench appeared on the dash, signaling a powertrain issue and to get to the dealership as soon as possible. After the car was looked at by the mechanic at the dealership it was determined that it was a defective throttle body and would cost $400 to repair. According to the dealership, this is a major issue for Ford, and I don't understand why something so serious that it can cause a serious accident or death is not being recalled. I guess Ford doesn't want the cost to repair their defective parts and obviously does not care about the safety of its customers or the lawsuit that will follow. For this reason, I have notified all of my family and friends not to buy another Ford. I would hope that the NHTSA would be concerned about the safety of our citizens and make a recall mandatory, not give in to the mighty Ford company and their lack of concern.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Feb 242013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed as normal. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 28,520....updated 03/27/13 updated 3/28/13 the consumer stated while on his way to the dealer, the vehicle went into a lurching motion four times. Traffic was light at the time, so he was able to coast to the side of the road. Three were recorded on the black box, which reached its capacity. The last one, caused the wrench light to illuminate and it remained on. The dealer replaced the throttle body. As of 03/22/13, the vehicle was performing as designed. The consumer stated he entered a four lane divided road with little traffic coming toward him. As he entered the first westbound lane, the vehicle went into a lurching motion, slowing down his forward movement with traffic coming closer to the drivers side of the vehicle. The vehicle then went into neutral mode and he was bale to coast into the left turn lane, continue through the traffic light controlled intersection and coast to the side of the intersecting roadway. He noticed the tax showed 2,000 RPM. He cycled the key and the engine started and operated normally.

- Hobe , FL, USA

Mar 092011

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph and applied the accelerator however, there was a delay in vehicle response. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the technician updated the computerized system however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for a second time and they were unable to diagnose the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Howell, MI, USA

Aug 212012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate at 70mph when my car seemed to just completely lose power. I had to coast to the side of the road, put the car in park, turn it off and restart it. The incident happened exactly the same a couple other times. Also happen once when in the middle of the city. I was at a busy intersection and the car lost power in the middle of the intersection. I was not able to go anywhere until I turned off the car and restarted it. I was nearly T-boned at 5 months pregnant. Dealer was having a hard time figuring out what was wrong but finally figured out that it was something wrong with the drive train which caused the engine to stall.

- Stockport, OH, USA

Mar 012012

2011 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle acceleration while foot is on brake. The dealer was unable to duplicate the problem.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Jan 042013

Escape 6-cyl

There have been several different occasions where my car will not accelerate during cold weather months. January 4, 2013 was when I nearly got into an accident because of it. One morning when I was on my way to work, I pulled out onto a main road and my car's acceleration drastically slowed down (to about 5-10 mph on a 40mph road). The vehicle behind me almost slammed right into me because my brake lights were not on (and why would they be? I had my foot on the gas petal trying to make it go!) the fact that Ford doesn't acknowledge this problem is scary! I am honestly concerned that one day this will cause me to get into a serious accident.

- Maynard, MA, USA

Mar 102011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

After stopping and upon acceleration the engine completely shuts down and the car stalls. After putting the car in park and restarting the car, it runs okay. This has happened to me 4 times over a 23 month period. Each time I have taken the vehicle to the dealership. The first two times I was told the car was still breaking in and it must be due to the gas I was using. The third time, they replaced the throttle body. To my knowledge the "wrench" light only came on once. They said they had a number of vehicles that this had happened with and replacing the throttle body helped. Three weeks after they replaced the throttle body, it happened again! this time only the engine light came on. Ford says they need a code to try to fix the problem. The dealership told me that there was one other person, who has the same make and model as mine that this is happening too. This person also had the throttle body replaced. The fact that no code is tripped is a problem in itself! please help! I do not want anyone to be killed because of this problem.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Oct 172012

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact merged to the shoulder and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a technician advised that the throttle body assembly would need to be replaced. The vehicle did not have a diagnostic test performed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 45,500 and the current mileage was 47,000. Updated 01/09/13

- Cape Coral , FL, USA

Nov 192012

While pulling onto highway onramp the vehicle began to jerk violently and suddenly shut down and would not accelerate. It was a busy traffic time and the sudden deceleration of my vehicle caused others to have to suddenly brake to avoid a collision. Pulled vehicle to side of the road and shut it off. Restarted and the problem seemed to be fixed. Began driving vehicle to dealer with hazard lights and problem occurred about 4 more times. Dealer replaced throttle body assembly, which fixed the problem. It was a scary incident as we were just seconds away from joining heavy traffic on the interstate.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Oct 242012

Escape 6-cyl

2011 Ford Escape was being driven @ 55 mph in traffic & it suddenly lost power. Orange wrench appeared, motor running rough. Steered to emergency lane. Turned off ignition, waited, re-started. I went on to my meeting the to the Ford dealership near where I work. They said to drive it there (if possible) next time without cutting off the engine. Two days later (local dealership closed) while driving 55 mph, rainy night, county road, no "emergency lane", was able to get pulled over (not always an option on a country road). Daughter was with me - frightened her. Turned it off, restarted. Next day (Saturday) I took it to local Ford dealer. Said need the light on, but would see if the diagnostics told anything. Borrowed car from my daughter. This was inconvenience to me and her. Dealer called Monday, said it clears the code each time the car is re-started. They kept my vehicle overnight. Did it again with the mechanic driving. He drove it at about 10-15 mph to the dealership. I got online and there are many issues involving throttles. Many recalls, but not on my model. On Tuesday afternoon diagnostics showed it was the throttle. This is a safety related defect & it should be immediately recalled. I drive about 60 miles a day on the interstate & I need my vehicle to be dependable. If a semi truck came up behind me it could have caused a wreck, or even loss of life. I love my Escape & have been a loyal Ford customer. Sometimes you just have to admit there's a problem & make things right. Ford should resolve this once and for all. I picked it up last night & am driving it today. I will be in fear of it happening every time I drive this vehicle. My vehicle has low mileage, is maintained regularly. This should not have happened, nor should I have to pay repairs. I would like a refund on the repair costs.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Dec 212011

Escape 4-cyl

I pulled into a parking space next to the building where I work and the vehicle surged forward and hit the brick wall, broke a window and dented the building ac unit. Damage to my vehicle hood, bumper and grille. Cost to repair $4282.75. September 25,2012 I took it to the Ford dealer where it was purchased because it continues to surg forward on a daily basis. They were unable to find anything wrong with the vehicle.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 232012

While traveling 80mph on the interstate, my 2011 Ford Escape with 27000 miles suddenly lost power as a wrench indicator light came on the dashboard. The gas pedal would not accelerate to pull onto shoulder or to move around traffic. All fuel acceleration was lost. As I finally coasted to the shoulder, narrowly avoiding being the cause of multiple accidents, the vehicle starting shaking. I turned the car off, waited a few minutes, and turned the car back on. The wrench indicator light (powertrain indication) remained off and the vehicle acted normal. There was not an indication before or after the incident of any faulty systems or parts. The vehicle did this without any reason, leaving me in a dangerous situation. The vehicle has been properly maintained and running without any problems since I purchased the vehicle until this incident. I fear it may happen again without reason and place my life and those of my passengers in harms' way.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Feb 022012

When approaching a stop throttle opened to maximum. The only way to stop was put vehicle in neutral. This has happened 5 other times since. When I took the car to Ford they said that since it was an intermittant problem and no one else has reported it they would no do any repairs.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 142011

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle would unexpectedly surge forward or backward while idling without a foot on the accelerator pedal. On one occasion, the vehicle surged backward and crashed into another vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The failure mileage was 50 and the current mileage was 200. The VIN was unknown. I have took the car to the dealer 3 times for this problem. Twice they said the have reset the computer throttle but still has the same problem. Updated 11/10/2011

- Wilmington, NC, USA