2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 12)

Jan 132015

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving with the vehicle on cruise control at 75 mph, the vehicle decelerated. As a result, the vehicle stalled and the service engine soon warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the vehicle was operating as designed. The vehicle was then taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,000. The VIN was not available.

- Port St. Lucie, FL, USA

Nov 102014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving on a regular street in my area at the rate of 35. The speed limit is 40, so I decided to increase my speed to that of the speed limit. When I proceeded to accelerate, it appeared that the engine was just spinning, but not accelerating, when all of a sudden, it just lunged forward, not once, but twice. This was quite frightening as I had no advanced warning this was going to happen. After that incident, it appeared to be driving normal, until it happened again about a week later. I am afraid whenever I get behind the wheel now, but it is the only vehicle I own and I use it to get back and forth to work, so I am proceeding with extreme caution.

- Plano, TX, USA

Oct 292014

Escape

I was crossing a highway and when I stepped on the gas I had no power! just a few weeks before it was at Ford for a torque and steering recall. When I called Ford to inform them what happened they said I will have to pay $130 for them to diagnose it! I'm not happy with Ford response. This is a real danger and they need to take it serious!

- Pahrump, NV, USA

Oct 292014

Escape

While driving along my Ford Escape suddenly refused to accelerate, I was holding the gas to the floor and it wouldn't budge. It was idling strangely and surging. A wrench symbol appeared in the screen on the dash. I was on a hill and was unable to pull of the road. Luckily, no one was behind me. I waited a few moments and restarted the Escape, it went and then continued to decelerate once again. I will be taking this back to the dealership to be fixed. But I am very concerned, upon researching the issue I found many more complaints online. Why hasn't this issue been recalled? it is highly dangerous and it is only a matter of time before the Escape cuts off at the wrong time and gets someone killed. This needs to be addressed before it become an epidemic like the Chevy cobalt.

- Luray, VA, USA

Sep 222014

Escape

While driving at 71 mph with the cruise control on, I noticed a slowing down feeling, the cruise control light went off, the wrench light illuminated. I pulled to the berm. I turned off the engine. According to the manual it was the throttle. It took 2 tries to restart car, the wrench light went off. A Ford dealership was 5 min. From incident. According to invoice, they performed throttle body update. I was told if the light came on again, it might need a throttle body. I asked if they could perform the work, they stated without the light being on, they couldn't do the work under the warranty. Meanwhile I was over 200 miles from home, and needed to get home. It felt so unsafe for 5hours of driving. The car has surges of power, downshifts with jolts, and clunking sounds when it does shift. This is how it drove from the beginning, I began to think it was normal so never reported it. Also, since the work was done I noticed the rpms at idling are high, I can pull into the garage without putting my foot on the gas the rpms are at 2 at 30 miles an hour, same as at 70 miles an hour. I'm contacting Ford about the rules of the warranty and how unsafe it feels to drive the vehicle. How many accidents, deaths will it take to get the real work done, not a patch up job.

- Wellsboro, PA, USA

Jul 132014

Escape

Driving down freeway at 85 miles per hour. Vehicle stalls and rpms or mph won't move. Pull over put in park, vehicle shakes real bad and wrench comes on. Turn off and restart, wrench drops off. 50 miles down the road same instance, except after restarting wrench drops and check engine light comes on. Bring to dealership. Throttle actuator control system stuck open and they say possible recall. Week later going 65 down highway and same instance happens. Take it to different dealership and they say we have throttle body recall, they recalibrate the recall. Now vehicle doesn't always switch rpms when it's supposed to. It'll jerk before shifting and then wrench and check engine light comes back on. Back to dealership and they say throttle actuator control and possible new throttle body down the road. Spent almost 1000 dollars on recall in last couple months and now they telling us the recall was just a recalibration and but might need a new throttle body?? what was the recall for. Frustrated with Ford.

- Williston, ND, USA

Aug 172014

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into a garage without warning. There were no injuries reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired to determine the cause of the acceleration failure. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000...updated 09-15-14 updated 1/15/15

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Sep 282011

Escape 6-cyl

Shortly after purchasing the Escape the engine seemed to quit when making a turn. Turning off the key and restarting the engine worked. Nothing for months and then it happened again. My wife thought the engine was quitting so I asked the dealer if they were aware of similar issues. All servicing was performed at Ford until the warranty was out. Never a mention of any problems from the dealer.the engine continued to have intermittent issues and one day it happened when I was driving. I determined the engine was not quitting but would drop to about 1000 RPM with no throttle response. If you kept the transmission in drive the vehicle would decelerate quickly and sometimes would not allow moving to a safe location. Restarting the engine twice always resets the problem and it randomly happens at a later date. It is very intermittent and always happens without warning. It's getting worse with age.

- Duck River, TN, USA

Jun 222014

Escape 4-cyl

My Ford 2011 Escape just completely stalled out driving home. I was on the highway going about 65 mph when it just sputtered and died. I think I even had it on cruise control. It was extremely dangerous and I had to pull over in the middle of traffic. I forced the car into park and turned it off when it kept sputtering. Once I restarted the engine it drove some more but did the same thing about 3 minutes from my house. Turning the truck off then back on seemed to work...I'm taking into the Ford dealership today to have the look at it but I think it is the throttle body...

- San Marcos, TX, USA

May 212014

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated to 30 mph without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 53,000.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

May 132014

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle accelerated quickly from a stopped position upon starting in the morning. I have to put my foot on the brake to keep it from surging forward even though I have not pressed the gas peddle at all. Vehicle jolts forward suddenly during driving at slow speeds and often when starting from a stop. Also sometimes increases acceleration when coasting at a medium speed when no gas has been applied.

- Rhinebeck, NY, USA

May 162014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on highway when all of a sudden my 2011 Ford Escape started to accelerate and stop, accelerate and stop. I pulled over, turned the car off and restarted the vehicle. When I put the vehicle in drive vehicle accelerated while people were in front of car. No one was hurt. Had to tow to autozone to have them attach troubleshooting machine. Result was P2111 throttle actuator control system.

- Carrizo Springs, TX, USA

May 062014

Escape 6-cyl

During rush hour traffic on a busy highway, my 18 year old daughter was attempting to accelerate from a legal right turn on red. With traffic approaching the gas pedal become unresponsive, she began quickly losing speed, she was in the right hand lane thank god with a turn lane and was able to pull over before slowing to a complete halt. Had she been in a center lane or on a stretch with no shoulder, there could have easily been a severe accident. The gas peddle just became totally unresponsive as she came to a stop. When she was completely stopped noticed the service engine light, a red battery light and wrench light all came on. Waited 10 min for me to get to her. We restarted car seemed fine. I took to Ford dealer last night. Ford dealer called this morning as advised fuel throttle problem and said no problem warranty extended on that problem to 150,000 miles 10 years, you will not have to pay. Christ I'm not worried about paying. I"M worried about getting my family or someone else's family killed. Shame on Ford for not recalling after all the complaints I have seen now. Something must be done now before major accident with deaths involved!!!!!

- Marietta, GA, USA

May 052014

Escape 6-cyl

Sudden lost of acceleration at 70 mph per our. Pushing on the pedal would not allow the car to accelerate. Pulled over restarted the car, tested accelerator in park and worked. Continued after pulling over same thing sudden lost of acceleration, car started to decelerating rapidly.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 062013

Escape

This is the 2nd incident with this vehicle, first time just stop middle of driving just shut down. Dealer did replace throttle body at 22,000 miles in Nov 2013. This incident (4-16-14) I was sitting at stop light a few miles from home and vehicle shut off, I put vehicle in P and did restart. Dropped off vehicle at dealer and at this point they have no answer for this problem. Just feel unsafe in this vehicle esp on the highway at full speed with this problem seems like can be a dangerous situation for my family and others. At this point I really just need to know if this is a reported problem with this car and what are my options?

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Mar 192014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving in the left lane of I-495 in long island, NY around 1:00 pm when my car completely lost power. I pressed the gas pedal and felt that there was no power in the accelerator. The car was now only moving because of the previous highway speed that I had been driving at, and I was able to use the remaining propulsion of the car to pass to the right lane and pull over onto the shoulder. I had to wait 2 hours for a tow truck to arrive while waiting precariously close to the right lane of a major highway, because I was not able to move the car further to the right on the shoulder due to the lack of power. Needless to say, this was an extremely dangerous event for me, as I was surrounded by tractor trailers and other large vehicles that were driving a minimum of 65 mph. I could've been killed had I not thought quickly to guide my vehicle off the highway and onto the shoulder. I've now read about NHTSA's investigation into this stalling issue with Ford vehicles and thought it was important to notify the Agency about yet another event - my own. My vehicle is currently at a Ford dealership in long island and I am awaiting news regarding the cause of the problem. But after reading about the numerous complaints which mirror my own car's power loss, I believe that I may also have a throttle body issue. Please expedite your investigation into this dangerous problem. People's lives are at stake.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA

Jan 022014

Escape 4-cyl

Driving on a winding, mountainous road the car suddenly lost power and was not responsive to the accelerator. There was no shoulder, so I kept going, very slowly, and then it resumed normal operating responsiveness, only to lose power again. This continued for the 4 miles it took for me to get home. I hoped it was some bad gas and was a one-time event - until it happened again, and I was again able to get home. I am now afraid to drive it.

- Hinton, WV, USA

Feb 232014

Escape 6-cyl

I have no idea what part is bad.... I was driving on a open highway and all of a sudden I had no speed, it was as if I had taken my foot off the accelerator, I was able to get it off the highway but when it was idling, it was running really rough. After setting for awhile it seemed to run ok but of course being a lady I am very uncomfortable driving it now. My husband took it to our dealer, astorg Ford, they said it was the throttle body and they would replace the defected part but didn't have it in stock, they would get it in a few days but still sent it back home for me to drive and of course I will not drive it till it is fixed, I think it was bad on their part to send the Escape back to me the way it is. Thank you

- Elizabeth, WV, USA

Aug 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Lost throttle control, pulled over, turned engine off, and restarted to correct problem. This happened three more times over following month at 70mph on freeway, 50mph on surface street and an intersection at a stoplight. Exact same behavior (loss of accelerator, turn engine off, restart). Dealership replaced throttle body. Five months (7,000 miles) later problem occurred again at a busy intersection almost resulting in a serious traffic accident. I took it back to Ford, they performed tests, said they already replaced the throttle body with the new one and made no repair even though I told them the car was unsafe to drive with the defect. There will be serious accidents that result from this defect.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jan 282014

Escape

Pulling out of the driveway of my home, the car surged forward on its own and narrowly missed the neighbor. This surging of the engine on its own is going to cause a death one of these days. Ford really needs to look into this.

- Lake Bluff, IL, USA