2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 9 of 12)

Jul 202013

Escape

I was traveling 60 mph on the highway when the vehicle lost power, I had to coast over to the side of the road, turn off the vehicle and turn it back on. The vehicle would start but then return to idle with no throttle response. This went on repeatedly before I had to have it towed to a dealership. Because this occurred on a Saturday afternoon the service department was closed and I was unable to speak to anyone. First thing Monday morning when I went in they first told me they did not know about the problems with the throttle control unit. Upon presenting them with numerous copies of complaints filed on line they finally acknowledged that there was a problem. However with no recall I would need to pay for a replacement which with towing resulted in a $550 bill. Apparently I was very lucky that there was one replacement in stock (hmmm), otherwise it would be weeks. I hope the replacement works because it has been a chronic problem for months. Skeptical to say the least.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 192013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway at about 60 mph for about 50 miles. The car suddenly lost power and went into limp mode. The small tool light came on the dash indicating the throttle. I pulled off the highway and stopped. After a few minutes, I restarted the car, which seemed fine. I drove for about 1/2 an hour, and it did the same thing again. This time it would not go more then 20 mph. I had the car towed to the closest Ford dealership. They said the code showed that the accelerator stuck. They reset the code and said they found nothing else wrong. When I got home, I called the dealership I have the car serviced at. They said it was the throttle body assembly and its a common problem. Apparently I have to have it happen again for a repair or replacement to be done and it has to be towed to that particular dealership. A recall would be good, as this is very dangerous and I don't want to have it happen again so that I can get it repaired.

- University Place, WA, USA

Jul 062013

Escape 6-cyl

The engine intermittently stalled/quit while driving at speed on numerous occasions. We took it to a Ford dealership. Diagnostics by their service department identified the problem as a defective throttle body.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Jul 182013

Escape 6-cyl

After traveling for a approximately 45 minutes, my car stopped accelerating down the road. At this point my gas pedal would not make a difference in RPM or speed, then my engine began shaking violently. I barely was able to make it to the shoulder of the interstate. Then, a wrench light came on the dash of my vehicle. I then turned the ignition off. Upon restarting the vehicle, the light was gone and the gas pedal worked once more. I merged into traffic and continued on my trip with slight hesitation on the remainder of my trip. This whole scenario happened again on the 19th of July 2013 only 20 minutes into my trip home. Vehicle is currently at Ford dealership being checked out.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jul 042013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway, going about 70mph on cruise control. The cruise control suddenly disengaged and the car started slowing down, plus the wrench maintenance sign in the dashboard lit up. I hit the gas and nothing would happen, I basically put the gas pedal to the floor with no results. I pulled over to the side of the road, avoiding traffic, and parked the car. Once the car was in park, the car started vibrating heavily. I shut the car down and waited about 5-10 minutes and then started the car again, it took about 3 tries to get the car to start again. I took the car to the mechanic, they could not get the car repeat the fails at that time, so they could not determine what happened. About a week later, I'm on the highway headed to work and it happens again, same situation, except this time all the lights in the dashboard lit up and I was not using cruise control. I took the car back to the mechanic and he worked on it for a few days, came back and said that the throttle body was malfunctioning and it needed to be replaced. Before I did that, I called the Ford dealership and explained the situation to the lead mechanic there and without even seeing the car, he agreed with my mechanic that it 100% sounded like a throttle body problem. So it has been replaced and I have had the car back with no problems since then.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving home from work, I was traveling at aprox. 35mph when it first happened. My RPM gauge started to "bounce" from 1 to 4 repeatedly. Make it very hard to stop and could not give it gas. At the same time, my power-train warning light came on along with my check engine light. I was able to pull over and call for assistance.

- Cleves, OH, USA

Jul 142013

Escape 6-cyl

Traveling 70 mph on interstate North West of atlanta, Georgia at 5:00 in the morning using cruise control. Cruise control went off and car had a catastrophic loss of power. No response to the accelerator pedal. The open end wrench emblem came on the dash board. Car speed dropped to 2.5 mph with occasional double surges up to 4.5 mph. Had to drive on shoulder for 1 1/2 miles at 2.5 mph in order to get to an exit and call for assistance. Was on my own and totally unfamiliar with the area. Called Ford motor assist and they towed vehicle to dealership. This was a Sunday so had to spend night in motel before could see service people. Diagnosis ended up being throttle control needing replaced. Had complained to local dealership about something being wrong with what I thought was the transmission as the care would surge or shift funny several times clear up to just prior to reaching 36,000 mile warranty. Since this occurred at 37,195 and 500 miles away from home it was considered an out of warranty repair and cost $478. I am thankful it was 5:00 in the morning on a Sunday as had this occurred in rush hour in a further left hand lane, the sudden deceleration would likely have cause a bad accident. This is a very dangerous problem!!!!!

- Springfield, IL, USA

Jul 162013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down a neighborhood street, when without warning, I suddenly had no power at all. My acceleration was gone, and I thought that the engine had died, however everything was running, and the engine light was not on. I pumped the gas pedal and got nothing, fortunately there was a convenience store coming up on my right, which I was able to turn into. At that point I noticed the "wrench" icon lighted up on the dashboard, I thought it might be a good idea to turn the engine off and see if it was a glitch, since I had just had the oil changed at the dealership earlier in the day. At least I was hoping that was the case. The car started perfectly, it took a few seconds to shake itself, which still worried me, and proceeded to act normally as I drove home, where I currently am. I advised my son about what happened and he checked up on auto defects on the Ford Escape and brought them to my attention, that is why I am reporting what happened to me today. I will be bringing this to the attention of the dealership first thing tomorrow morning due to my needing the use of my vehicle for work.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Jul 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Leaving parking lot and the car began to lurch. Then it began to idle with the lurch. Pressed accelerator and no response other than the lurching idle. Had the car towed to Ford dealer. The service advisor later stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced and that the parts are back ordered. Probably 12 days was his statement. Recently found out that it may be 3 to 4 more weeks for the part.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 112013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at speed, the vehicle instantly lost power. Gas pedal was non-responsive. I was able to pull the vehicle to a safe spot off the main roadway. When the vehicle was put into park, it idled roughly and the orange wrench warning light came on. Turned the vehicle off and waited a few seconds. Turned the vehicle back on and was able to return home without further incident. Took vehicle to local dealer service the next day and was informed that this is a known problem and that the repair part needed is currently on extensive backorder, maybe up to several weeks. The primary concern over this type of issue is that it could occur to someone who is at highway speed and would be unable to reach a stopping point safely. The fact that the part needed to fix the issue is on extensive backorder indicates that this is hardly an isolated incident.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Jul 022013

Escape 6-cyl

My 2011 Ford Escape has gone into limp mode while in motion three times this month, July 2013. My local Ford dealership diagnosed the problem as a malfunctioning throttle body.

- Sandy Springs, GA, USA

Jun 292013

Escape

While driving on freeway with speed approx. 60mph, accelerator became inactive, no acceleration was possible, the car seemed that it had died. We maneuvered to the right lane and then pulled off onto the shoulder. The accelerator would not work again until we turned the car off and started it again. This happened once more a week later - when we took the car to Ford service we were told that it was likely the throttle module but Ford would not replace it even though our car is under warranty for a few more months. On 7/13/2013, we were on the freeway again at 60mph approx. And within a 5mile stretch of freeway, the same thing happened 5 times, each time we were in heavy freeway traffic. We were on our way out of town, but turned around and came back, taking a back road rather than the freeway.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

May 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power - was running but could not accelerate. Turned car off and restarted and it was operating correctly. Called dealership service to inquire if they know what might have happened. They advised they had never heard of that before. Incident occurred 2 additional times over the next few months. Last time vehicle was out of warranty. Took to dealership and we were advised car out of warranty. We insisted there was a problem and it was dangerous to operate. They would not tow so we drove vehicle to dealership and they replaced throttle body assembly. We were only charged a $75 deductible. Vehicle has not been operated enough to determine if problem is fixed.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 132013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at speed the Escape suddenly loses power. The engine remains running but the vehicle begins to slow and depressing the throttle has no effect. The only indication on the dash is a small wrench shaped light on the lower left side. Once the vehicle is stopped, I turn the engine off and restart. From the point the Escape runs fine. This problem started two weeks ago. It has occurred six times. 4 occurrences on the highway and speed and 2 occurrences on neighborhood streets while traveling in the 20 - 25 mph range.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 082013

Escape

Driving the truck suddenly would not accelerate and just shut off. I was able to start and coast over out of traffic.truck would start again but would not accelerate no more then 5-10mph and shut off.vehicle was towed to southgate Ford I was put in a dangerous position on the road.this could have been fatal if I was on the freeway. On top of all of the same complains of the same thing the dealership says I have to pay for work & parts truck pass my warranty limit and would not honor my Ford employee discount for parts or aarp discount to add insult to injury plus ican purchase online the parts from Ford.southgate wants to charge me $476.54 for parts I can order from Ford the parts myself for $262.09 online. What a shame checkin the oasis results for my vehicle I am appauled this is not on the recall list. How many people have to be killed first befoe this is addressed.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 082013

Escape 6-cyl

I have been having this issue for many months where the car would not accelerate right when starting from a stopped position. It would shift very hard & jerk even harder from 1st/2nd & 2nd/3rd. I took it to the Ford dealership & they explained it was the transmission so I paid for a transmission flush even though it only had 32K miles. They also at this time resent the computer to my driving habits? the problem continued. Took it back to the shop last week twice & they believe that it was the throttle body but all computer checks showed the truck as fine. Yesterday while driving 45mph, it all of sudden shifted hard like it went into neutral. I had my foot on the gas pedal & there was no response. I did not lose power steering & was able to coast over to the side of the road. I at this time noticed the wrench light was on in the lower left hand corner of the dash. The service manager at Ford told me this would happen & that I needed to get the truck to them with the light on so that they could get the code they needed in order to file the claim with Ford & replace the throttle body. I was too far from the dealership to jerk down the road over 5 miles in nothing more than a creeper pace especially during rush hour. When I applied my foot to the gas pedal it was non responsive. I was told by the service manager that if I turned off the truck & restarted it the wrench light would go away & that it does not send an error code to the computer for them to reference. I had to turn it off, but not before taking pictures for my records. I tried to restart the truck & it struggled but finally turned over of which then it drove fine. Arrived at the dealership & they confirmed it was the throttle body but that the parts are on an indefinite back order. Now we wait. A complete inconvenience & ridiculous that Ford will not issue a recall especially when they know this is a problem.

- Lynn Haven, FL, USA

Jun 302013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving northbound on tidewater trail (rt 17) between gloucester county and tappahanock, va the car suddenly stopped with forward motion at the same rate of speed. I coasted over to the side and parked on the shoulder, or grass beside the road. There was no safe place to pull over. I let the car sit for a minute, then started it up again. It seemed to be ok for about 3 more miles at a reduced rate of speed with flashers on, then it did the same thing. I called for a tow truck and had the vehicle towed back to a garage up the street from where I live. They indicated it was a throttle body defect and that the part was backordered. I had Ford roadside assistance tow the car to harris Ford in newport news va and they confirmed yesterday that the throttle body part had failed on the vehicle and that it was backordered. I would be interested in bringing a class action suit against Ford because this is definitely a safety issue and if they are aware of the problem they should at the least do a recall and have ample parts on hand to repair the vehicles in a timely manner, or prevent failure before a female driving alone is stranded on the side of the road driving what she assumes to be a safe vehicle that has been properly maintained. I am very upset about this!!

- Hayes, VA, USA

Jun 132013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle continually has a decrease in power. After stepping on gas pedal starts to "chug" along slowly eventually speeds back up and engages to normal speed.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving down the highway at 60 mph with the cruise control on. Vehicle lost power like you had kicked the cruise off. Pushed on the accelerator but nothing happened. Shut vehicle off and restarted and it worked fine. Went about a mile down the road and it did it again. Had it towed to a Ford dealership and they said it was the throttle body which they said would cost $300 plus the cost for towing. This was dangerous because I could have been hit from behind when it suddenly decelerated.

- Chillicothe, MO, USA

Jun 152013

Escape

A few weeks ago, my Escape would slow down and or stop intermittently for now reason. This happened the first time 2 times in one week and by two week from the first date of occurrence. It had started to happen more often and occurring the last time 3 times that day. I took it to my Ford dealership (jack madden Ford) in norwood, MA. I was outside of my warranty so I was told that I would have to pay originally but then I was called later that day and told that I had a faulty throttle drive and that it would be replaced for free. I was not told why it would be replaced for free but that it was under warranty.

- Brockton, MA, USA