2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Nov 072016

Escape

Ford consumer satisfaction program 13N03. Related to etb. Car randomly would not accelerate - had to pull over three times while driving on the highway to turn car on and off. After turning car on, it was like nothing had happened.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Oct 122016

Escape

The contact owned a 2011 Ford Escape. While stationary, the vehicle suddenly experienced unintended acceleration and crashed into a stone wall. The driver sustained a fractured left arm, various body bruises, right and left leg injuries, and facial lacerations. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. A police report was not filed. The cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 77,188.

- North Brookfield, MA, USA

Sep 262016

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While driving at any speed, the rpms increased and the contact heard a clicking noise. Afterwards, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The issue recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Oct 022016

Escape

Driving on my way home my wrench light turned on. My car started hesitating and couldn't have control of my speed. I checked the manual and the it read the problem was some issue with the throttle body. Taking it to Ford dealership to see what they will say /fix.

- Fort Hood, TX, USA

Sep 202016

Escape

Vehicle would engage in jerky motion and reduced power when accelerating to highway speed followed by "throttle fault light" on instrument panel. More jerky motion during downshift/deceleration. Odb2 code P2119

- Amherst, NY, USA

Nov 072014

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. After coming to a complete stop, the contact attempted to accelerate and the vehicle jolted forward violently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and a dealer, but they were unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- Golden, CO, USA

Aug 032016

Escape

6 times suddenly lost acceleration without warning while driving. 4th, 5th and 6th time on 8/3/2016 on U.S. 25 at about 55 to 60 mph all in one day. No response from gas pedal, tachometer dropped to 0, wrench light came on. Was able to coast to side of road. Maintained pwr steering/brakes. Shut off engine, restarted/worked fine, wrench light off. Mileage about 65,000. 1st, 2nd it happened on side roads in town and the 3rd I was on a busy road in lexington ky on versailles road where semis were everywhere and I thought I was gonna get hit then. Wrench light came on while decelerating, light and throttle reset upon shutting of and restarting car. Ford says they will not repair unless code is present, code erases when car is shut off and will not drive until car is shut off and restarted. These incidents fit description of Ford "field service action" for electronic throttle body extended coverage. V dangerous!! I do not want to be driving this vehicle with it doing all of this especialyyy if I have my grandkids in the vehicle with me.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Jun 202016

Escape

While driving, my check engine light came on. Actually the first light to come on was the power train indicator. While pressing accelerator, the speed continued to decrease. I was in rush hour traffic and it really scared me. I pulled into a parking lot and was unable to take it to an automotive repair shop because it was late in the evening. The next morning I drove slowly to treadquarters auto service center and after describing the symptoms was told they needed to do a computer scan and then was told I needed a throttle body immediately. If not installed as soon as possible, I may end up stranded somewhere. I was also told Ford knows about the problem with this part and have yet to do anything about it. Is this true" have I just paid an exorbitant amount of money to replace a part that Ford knows is problematic?" I have several Ford vehicles and am a loyal customer but I will not purchase another if this company knowingly put me in danger.

- Ladson, SC, USA

Jun 172016

Escape

3 times suddenly lost acceleration without warning while driving. 1st time on 6/17/16 on interstate at 70mph: No response from gas pedal, tachometer dropped to 0, wrench light came on. Was able to coast to side of road. Maintained pwr steering/brakes. Shut off engine, restarted/worked fine, wrench light off. Mileage about 64,920. 2nd & 3rd time same happened driving on country roads (on 6/22/16 mileage about 64,993 and on 7/7/16 mileage about 65,330). Wrench light came on while decelerating, light and throttle reset upon shutting of and restarting car. Ford says they will not repair unless code is present, code erases when car is shut off and will not drive until car is shut off and restarted. These incidents fit description of Ford "field service action" for electronic throttle body extended coverage. V dangerous! the first time it happened my 20 year old daughter was driving on the interstate. Sudden deceleration in interstate traffic on I-80 in western pa could've had deadly result!

- Knox, PA, USA

Jun 102016

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving down the street and my vehicle started to idle funny, like it was going to stop running and it would not accelerate at all, I had to coast to the side of the street. When I pressed the gas pedal it would not accelerate or do anything almost like it was disconnected. The engine light also came on at this time. My fiancee' came to where I was at and he shut the vehicle off and then started it back up and the engine light was off and the vehicle was back to running again like nothing ever happened. I have read several complaints about the throttle body being bad and that Ford and Ford garages where refusing to fix the problem with all the vehicles doing this and I think that is so wrong on many levels due to Ford being a top manufacturer of vehicles they should stand by the vehicles and fix any problems that occur with the vehicles. I don't have any warranty and I am on limited income and cannot afford to pay a big tow bill or play for a major repair.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

May 222016

Escape

I have a 2011 Ford Escape. I was driving on a 2 way street and the gas pedal stopped working out of nowhere and I could not accelerate. Luckily I was able to coast to the side before getting rear ended. What is frustrating about this is Ford had a recall a couple years ago for my make and model for a bad throttle.. same exact issue I had where I was driving and couldnt accelerate. Instead of replacing the throttle they gave 1.6 million customer satisfaction program warranties.. so basically you had to have an issue before it would be replaced. I called Ford Corp 5/23/16 and because my VIN# wasnt one in the recall they will not pay for my $400 bill. It is the same exact issue as the recall but since my VIN# is different they wont pay. How does that make any sense. Luckily I didnt get into an accident. I find it incomprehensible that Ford recalls the throttle body in their cars and will not do the right thing and pay for mine. I drive the highway everyday to work and I cant even imagine if it failed on the highway. All because I dont have the right VIN#.. maybe they need to consider expanding their VIN#'s. this is a very serious issue and the fact they dont care makes me rethink my next car purchase. We have 2 Ford's now and I dont see a 3rd in my future.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA

Mar 042016

Escape

While merging onto the interstate the the car suddenly began to accelerate at full throttle. Temp ~30 deg, road - dry pavement odometer: 110367.0 miles. The throttle body was replaced in September 2015 by the Ford dealer, as well as a new exhaust system at the same time. The check engine light came on the day before. Incident: I do not know my actual speed at the time of the incident because I was merging on to the interstate. It was a long ramp, I am pretty sure I was going at least 45mph. I was accelerating to merge on. All of a sudden the engine started to race and the car proceeded to accelerate even faster. I immediately pushed on my brakes which helped to keep me from hitting the vehicle in front of me. The engine continued to race as I was depressing the brake. I shut the engine off and steered my way to the side of the road. I put the car into neutral and once I stopped I put the car into park. I proceeded to try to start the car, but the engine raced like it was at full throttle. I immediately shut it off. I tried two more times with the same result. I called my husband's mechanic whose business was close by to ask his opinion about what to do next. With him listening on the phone, I started the engine, but this time is started up correctly. Maybe a total of 10 minutes had passed from the first instance of me having to pull to the side of the road and this last try when it started correctly. I drove the car to the mechanic's business about 5 miles away. I wanted him to check the code for why the check engine light was on and if that was a factor for the throttle issue. The code for the check engine light read: Code#: P0456 - (evap) system leak detected ( very small leak). We also checked the floor mats, but there was no issue with them. [the mats did come with the car at time of purchase from the dealer] purchased:11/30/2010

- Bolton, MA, USA

Jan 112016

Escape

Our Ford stalls then jerks/jumps when accelerating at times. It's starting to happen more often. It mainly happens after turning on and driving it for the first time during that day although there have been times where it will still do it even after it has been running throughout the day.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 012016

Escape

Stalling out in traffic speeding up for no reason.all symptoms point to throttle body exactly what they described to me at my local dealer! but told me they will not fix it until it sets a code !!!!!!!!!!! in the mean time I am afraid I will get hurt because it has stalled in traffic. I am really concerened for my safety.

- Waleska, GA, USA

Mar 042013

Escape

When slowing down at about 20-25 mph, car jerks like transmission is trying to slip from 2nd to 1st gear. Has been like this for over two years. Most readings on 'net suggests software issues but not many owners have found satisfaction with the updates and appear to have to pay for them..

- Bridgeton, MO, USA

Jun 272015

Escape

Was driving through town, vehicle revved up and then stalled. Stopped vehicle, turned off, and restarted. Started up without an issue. 3 days later, while driving to work, vehicles wrench indicator light came on and vehicle lost power. Restarted okay. As the week progressed, vehicle started losing power several times during my 20 mile trip to work and back, 40 miles round trip. Then on 7/7/15, vehicle lost power 4 times on my way home, the second time it lost power the engine indicator light came on and stayed on. It also took longer to restart the vehicle. Checked computer for code. Code states P 2112, tac system stuck shut. Looked up this code and info, and it seems to be related to the throttle body. I found something that states there was a recall on this part, but I was never notified of this. I would like to get this problem fixed so I can drive my vehicle. I'm nervous about driving it as I have poor signal on my cell phone between home and work and dont want to be stranded. Please help me in anyway you can.

- Oscoda, MI, USA

Jul 062015

Escape

As I was driving at 50-55 miles an hour my vehicle bucked and lost power and when accelerating it feels as if the car is going to stall. When starting up from a complete stop the car will hesitate when trying to accelerate and bucks.

- Bernardston, MA, USA

Jun 282015

Escape

Going South on I81 to watertown, NY. Vehicle quit and I coasted to the side of the highway. Tractor-trailer behind me swerved to miss me. Almost hit a car coming off the exit ramp, had no power to excelerate to get by him. Could have been a wopper of an accident.

- Alexandria Bay, NY, USA

Aug 072013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While driving 25 mph and making a right turn, the vehicle slowed down without warning. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 7/16/15 the consumer stated no accidents occurred but, there were a few near misses due to loss of speed. The failure occurred every time the vehicle was driven. Updated 9/22/2015

- Freeburg , MO, USA

Nov 262014

Escape 4-cyl

While traveling from Virginia to Michigan on Pennsylvania turnpike at a speed of 75 mph my cruise control switched off and the vehicle decelerated. I thought maybe it was because I hit a bump in the road so I tried to engage the cruise control again, it stayed on for a few minutes then disengaged again. This is not the first time this has happened, on a previous trip it did the same thing. I took my vehicle in to the dealer, they couldn't determine the cause. Obviously something isn't right, I've seen one other complaint about this.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA