2011 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Nov 222013

Escape 6-cyl

I was on I80 heading westbound through Lincoln. All the sudden I felt a thump and lost all acceleration. I was in the center lane (of three lane traffic) and was surrounded by semi trucks. Thankfully I was able to get my hazard lights on and coast over to the shoulder. I called aaa for a tow and took my vehicle to the nearest Ford dealer. I was advised that I had a stuck throttle body. They said this is quite common for this year/make/model of vehicle. They replaced the throttle body under warranty and sent me on my way. I feel very fortunate that I was able to coast to the side of the interstate. I had recently taken an 1800 mile road trip with my children through dallas and houston. I am so grateful this didn't occur on our trip.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Nov 222013

Escape

Several weeks earlier, as a was stopped at a traffic light, my car started bucking or surging, feeling as though it was going to stall. It did not stall at that point. A few minutes later, as a was slowed down by a bus, it did stall. Restarted very easily and I kept driving. Every few days, we would notice the surging, and the check engine light was on. Took it to the dealer and the was told there was a problem with the fuel system, but they weren't sure what exactly. Stalled a second time post dealer visit. This morning, as I was in motion at 35 miles an hour, the car suddenly shut off. I coasted very easily to the shoulder, but could not restart. Car has been towed to the local dealer. Awaiting their answer, but sounds very much like the other throttle body issues I've read on here. I'm fortunate to have been on the highway yet, especially with my young child in the back seat. This was a scary situation, and I'm not pleased that the previous recall did not include the 2011 model year. Please reopen the investigation.

- Williamsport, PA, USA

Nov 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Accelerator ceased working while vehicle was in motion. This was the 3rd instance in 2 months; however, the first time that pumping the accelerator failed to correct the issue. Turning off the engine and restarting the vehicle was required to correct at this point. Required the replacement of the throttle body.

- Harvest, AL, USA

Nov 152013

Escape

Vehicle cut off while driving 65mph on highway with no warning.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 012012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on I-75 South, atlanta area, 55 mph, when my Ford Escape 2011 lost all power and I coasted to side of road during rush hour --- very scary, and very dangerous. Took vehicle to Ford service and was charged $474.15 to replace defective throttle body (not covered under transmission, engine, powertrain warranty). Read on-line that there are many other Ford owners experiencing this same dangerous problem. Sure hope you will warn other Ford owners and organize a recall. Please let me know if there is anyone else I can contact to move a recall forward.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Nov 112013

Escape

I started accelerating after being at a complete stop at a light. Halfway through the intersection, the throttle lost power and I could no longer accelerate. The wrench light came on and I had to coast over to the side of the road with my hazards on until I could get out of traffic. As I applied the breaks and the car slowed down, it started shaking until I could put the car in park. I then turned off the engine for about 30 seconds. When I restarted the engine, it took longer than usual to start but seemed to be running fine and was not shaking. After waiting for it to run without problem, I slowly accelerated the car to continue my commute. Within 2 minutes of driving, the issue occurred again and both the wrench light and the check engine light came on. I once again pulled over, stopped the car, and turned off the engine. After I restarted the car, I drove to a gas station who was able to hook up the engine to a computer scanner. The technician came back with what he said was an " O2 sensor code." He checked my fluids and reset the computer to turn off the check engine light and said I should be fine to drive the 30 miles home but should get it checked out asap. Within 20 miles of driving, the incident happened again. So I took it to the dealer. Since the check engine light was reset, there is no record of the code that came up, so the dealer spent an hour trying to get it to act up but has had no luck. The service advisor did say that although they cannot get the car to repeat the problem, they highly suspect that the throttle body needs to be replaced.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 302013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle experienced a fuel surge causing a reaction that was not intended by the driver. The car joltedas if one mashed the accelerator then released repeatedly. Once the vehicle came to a stop the car spit and sputtered like bad engine timing. We turned the vehicle off where it sat overnight. It was hard to start this morning and experienced the same problem twice this morning while taking the kids to school. I stopped by an advanced auto parts store where the attendant pulled the service code P2112 throttle actuator stuck closed.

- Robertsdale, AL, USA

Oct 252013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the road at 40 vehicle stalled out, had to pull over to the side of the road with and shut down and restarted. Drove vehicle home and stalled out 3 more times within couple miles. Have read other complaints on this and cannot believe a recall has not been implemented.

- Westbrook , ME, USA

Oct 242013

Escape 6-cyl

Wrench light came on, all throttle response stopped. I was left at a traffic light with a car that would barely move. Took the car to the dealer - they tried to charge me to replace the electronic throttle body. The car was only out of warranty by 1000 miles. Ended up compromising on paying $100. Ford needs to fix this. They know it's an issue.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 182013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the interstate at aprox. 65mph my car lost all speed and quit responding to the gas pedal. I was able to make it to the side of the interstate. My car was still running (rough) so I turned it off. After several min I tried to restart the car (per my mechanic knowledge) and it started right up. I drove to the nearest Ford dealer and after they inspected my car was told I needed a throttle body. So needless to say $461 later my car is fixed but really annoyed that 9000 miles out of warranty things are already falling apart.

- Providence Forge, VA, USA

Oct 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving down the highway at 55 mph and all of a sudden my vehicle would no longer accelerate. Luckily I was able to safely pull over and once I came to a stop I noticed my vehicle was idling rough and would not respond to the throttle and noticed the light with a wrench was also on. I turned the vehicle off and was able to start it back up and make it home and after doing some research this seems to be a very common problem with the Ford Escape. Will be taking to a dealer to see what they can do.

- Saint Paul, VA, USA

Oct 212013

Escape

I was driving down I-80 at 65 mph and all of a sudden I had no power with my gas pedal and my engine light (wrench) came on. My car was still running, but when I pressed the gas pedal it did nothing. I pulled off to the side of the road and called for road assistance. Sitting there my RPM's was around 1,000 and my car would shake. While waiting for a tow truck, I shut my car off and then started it again. When I pressed on the gas it started to go again. However, when I tried to get back on the interstate I had no power again and my engine light came back on. I had my car towed to a Ford dealership and they checked it and they said that the throttle body was the problem.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Oct 062013

Escape 6-cyl

At highway speed, vehicle's 'maintenance required' light came on and the throttle pedal became unresponsive. Engine held steady at approx. 1000rpm. Pulled off to the side of the road and turned the vehicle off. Restarted vehicle and throttle was responsive again. This incident has occurred an additional three times since the initial occurrence. Each time, turning the vehicle off and restarting has temporarily fixed the problem.

- Timberlake, NC, USA

Oct 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle quit working.would only idle and check engine light and wrench light came on.pulled off on the side of the road and had to cut engine off and back on to get throttle working. Happened again one week later.just lucky was not on interstate in heavy traffic doing 70 mph. Both times engine code was P2111, throttle actuator stuck open. Vehicle has 60000 miles on it and dealer said throttle body was not under power train and was only covered under the 3/36 warranty. Purchased new throttle body at dealer and parts manager said it was the fourth revision to the part number. Hope they got it right this time, it could put you in a very dangerous situation.

- Dublin, VA, USA

May 212013

Escape 6-cyl

My Ford Escape was stopping multiple times. It would stay running in very slow movement until I could pull over out of traffic and then it would shut down. Then wrench light would be lit. I had this happen while driving side roads and the interstate. This was very unsafe. I first took it to a dealer near my home and they could not find anything wrong. When this happened one morning on the interstate, I called the dealer I bought the vehicle from and took it in. They called me later that day and stated that the issue was the throttle body control, they stated that since my vehicle was no longer under warranty that I would have to pay for the replacement and that they had to order the part. It seems that these were an issue and the could not receive from manufacture right away due to a release issue. They finally were able to obtain one and I had to pay $371.79 for this to be fixed. Even though I was no longer under warranty I feel that I should not have had to pay this, from doing research it seems to be a manufactures issue.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving the car would result in the car to stall. This is an automatic vehicle. I would have to put into neutral to restart car. Then the RPM would jump then stall again. I took in the vehicle to be repaired and found code that the throttle body was stuck closed so the car would be able to drive without the throttle body being replaced. After fixed the problem went away. The problem is $500 later after the repair and the car had not even broke the 50K yet. Very bad problem and seems a if I am no the only one. After looking it up to see if I could get the parts myself I saw that this is happening to a lot of different Ford vehicles at the same time in the same range of years. This is a huge problem and just glad the kids weren't in the cars as I was driving on the interstate.

- Harahan, LA, USA

Jul 262013

Escape

The fuel throttle body failed & the engine died. Pulled off the road & restarted the engine, was able to limp home, (10 miles).

- Gorham, IL, USA

Oct 032013

Escape 6-cyl

The car just quit on the four lane highway in the passing lane and a couple of times on the city street in town found the throttle body and motor assemble bad.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Oct 032013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving tonight I lost power and came to a complete stop. I was on my way home from work and luckily not on the freeway. I am 21 weeks pregnant and this really scared me. I had the car towed to the Ford dealer. When they called to tell us what was wrong they said it was the throttle body. It is no longer under warranty. Before we gave them the ok to fix it we looked online and discovered that this was a known issue with the Ford Escapes. When I called back I asked if what we read was true and if this part gets replaced a lot on these cars. The service person confirmed. I then asked if it became a recall would we get our money back and I was told we would. This car is only 2.5 years old and we had to replace something already. $475 out of our pocket!

- Galena, OH, USA

Sep 302013

Escape

After coming to a near stop, the engine began to surge and the vehicle lurched 6 or 7 times. After touching the throttle, the engine became responsive again.

- Ofallon, MO, USA