2011 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Oct 302013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle experienced a fuel surge causing a reaction that was not intended by the driver. The car joltedas if one mashed the accelerator then released repeatedly. Once the vehicle came to a stop the car spit and sputtered like bad engine timing. We turned the vehicle off where it sat overnight. It was hard to start this morning and experienced the same problem twice this morning while taking the kids to school. I stopped by an advanced auto parts store where the attendant pulled the service code P2112 throttle actuator stuck closed.

- Robertsdale, AL, USA

Oct 252013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the road at 40 vehicle stalled out, had to pull over to the side of the road with and shut down and restarted. Drove vehicle home and stalled out 3 more times within couple miles. Have read other complaints on this and cannot believe a recall has not been implemented.

- Westbrook , ME, USA

Oct 242013

Escape 6-cyl

Wrench light came on, all throttle response stopped. I was left at a traffic light with a car that would barely move. Took the car to the dealer - they tried to charge me to replace the electronic throttle body. The car was only out of warranty by 1000 miles. Ended up compromising on paying $100. Ford needs to fix this. They know it's an issue.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 182013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the interstate at aprox. 65mph my car lost all speed and quit responding to the gas pedal. I was able to make it to the side of the interstate. My car was still running (rough) so I turned it off. After several min I tried to restart the car (per my mechanic knowledge) and it started right up. I drove to the nearest Ford dealer and after they inspected my car was told I needed a throttle body. So needless to say $461 later my car is fixed but really annoyed that 9000 miles out of warranty things are already falling apart.

- Providence Forge, VA, USA

Oct 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving down the highway at 55 mph and all of a sudden my vehicle would no longer accelerate. Luckily I was able to safely pull over and once I came to a stop I noticed my vehicle was idling rough and would not respond to the throttle and noticed the light with a wrench was also on. I turned the vehicle off and was able to start it back up and make it home and after doing some research this seems to be a very common problem with the Ford Escape. Will be taking to a dealer to see what they can do.

- Saint Paul, VA, USA

Oct 212013

I was driving down I-80 at 65 mph and all of a sudden I had no power with my gas pedal and my engine light (wrench) came on. My car was still running, but when I pressed the gas pedal it did nothing. I pulled off to the side of the road and called for road assistance. Sitting there my RPM's was around 1,000 and my car would shake. While waiting for a tow truck, I shut my car off and then started it again. When I pressed on the gas it started to go again. However, when I tried to get back on the interstate I had no power again and my engine light came back on. I had my car towed to a Ford dealership and they checked it and they said that the throttle body was the problem.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Oct 062013

Escape 6-cyl

At highway speed, vehicle's 'maintenance required' light came on and the throttle pedal became unresponsive. Engine held steady at approx. 1000rpm. Pulled off to the side of the road and turned the vehicle off. Restarted vehicle and throttle was responsive again. This incident has occurred an additional three times since the initial occurrence. Each time, turning the vehicle off and restarting has temporarily fixed the problem.

- Timberlake, NC, USA

Oct 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle quit working.would only idle and check engine light and wrench light came on.pulled off on the side of the road and had to cut engine off and back on to get throttle working. Happened again one week later.just lucky was not on interstate in heavy traffic doing 70 mph. Both times engine code was P2111, throttle actuator stuck open. Vehicle has 60000 miles on it and dealer said throttle body was not under power train and was only covered under the 3/36 warranty. Purchased new throttle body at dealer and parts manager said it was the fourth revision to the part number. Hope they got it right this time, it could put you in a very dangerous situation.

- Dublin, VA, USA

May 212013

Escape 6-cyl

My Ford Escape was stopping multiple times. It would stay running in very slow movement until I could pull over out of traffic and then it would shut down. Then wrench light would be lit. I had this happen while driving side roads and the interstate. This was very unsafe. I first took it to a dealer near my home and they could not find anything wrong. When this happened one morning on the interstate, I called the dealer I bought the vehicle from and took it in. They called me later that day and stated that the issue was the throttle body control, they stated that since my vehicle was no longer under warranty that I would have to pay for the replacement and that they had to order the part. It seems that these were an issue and the could not receive from manufacture right away due to a release issue. They finally were able to obtain one and I had to pay $371.79 for this to be fixed. Even though I was no longer under warranty I feel that I should not have had to pay this, from doing research it seems to be a manufactures issue.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving the car would result in the car to stall. This is an automatic vehicle. I would have to put into neutral to restart car. Then the RPM would jump then stall again. I took in the vehicle to be repaired and found code that the throttle body was stuck closed so the car would be able to drive without the throttle body being replaced. After fixed the problem went away. The problem is $500 later after the repair and the car had not even broke the 50K yet. Very bad problem and seems a if I am no the only one. After looking it up to see if I could get the parts myself I saw that this is happening to a lot of different Ford vehicles at the same time in the same range of years. This is a huge problem and just glad the kids weren't in the cars as I was driving on the interstate.

- Harahan, LA, USA

Jul 262013

The fuel throttle body failed & the engine died. Pulled off the road & restarted the engine, was able to limp home, (10 miles).

- Gorham, IL, USA

Oct 032013

Escape 6-cyl

The car just quit on the four lane highway in the passing lane and a couple of times on the city street in town found the throttle body and motor assemble bad.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Oct 032013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving tonight I lost power and came to a complete stop. I was on my way home from work and luckily not on the freeway. I am 21 weeks pregnant and this really scared me. I had the car towed to the Ford dealer. When they called to tell us what was wrong they said it was the throttle body. It is no longer under warranty. Before we gave them the ok to fix it we looked online and discovered that this was a known issue with the Ford Escapes. When I called back I asked if what we read was true and if this part gets replaced a lot on these cars. The service person confirmed. I then asked if it became a recall would we get our money back and I was told we would. This car is only 2.5 years old and we had to replace something already. $475 out of our pocket!

- Galena, OH, USA

Sep 302013

After coming to a near stop, the engine began to surge and the vehicle lurched 6 or 7 times. After touching the throttle, the engine became responsive again.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Sep 272013

Escape 6-cyl

At highway speed, engine and drive train became totally unresponsive on congested dallas freeway. Wrench light came on, no other indications. Vehicle lost all speed and was forced to cross traffic lanes with no motive power to safety lane very nearly causing three different traffic accidents with other vehicles. Totally limp. Once parked, shut off motor and restarted. Engine started and drive train engaged again. Wrench light no longer appeared, no other indicating lamps or errors. Returned to roadway and within 5 minutes same thing recurred. Pulled over, restarted engine, drive train reengaged, returned to roadway and exited to side roads to home. Once on the side road, same thing happened again in front of a semi coming up from behind and narrowly escaped getting hit from behind before pulling over again. Same routine occurred 4 more times before I could get it into the dealership. Last occurrence in addition to the wrench light coming on and off, the engine light came on and stayed on. Vehicle condition is known, reported multiple times and has been investigated by the nthsb already without a recall. This known condition is extremely dangerous to the operators of affected vehicles and to other unsuspecting motorist and the general public. Pressure needs to be applied to Ford Motor Company to address this matter and notify affected owners and operators of affected vehicles. Today the vehicle is at the dealership and with just a thousand or so miles over warranty, dealer says it is not covered and the estimated $600 repair is my issue.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Sep 102013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine speed became unsteady, rising and falling despite steady, even pressure on throttle pedal. Soon after, the engine would die after returning to idle following a stop. Not long after that, unsteady engine speed became more noticeable both at idle and while driving.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Sep 222013

My vehicle stalled twice yesterday while going though busy intersections and the wrench light came on. I would pull over at a super slow speed and then turn the car off and back on. Finding this rare for a well maintained 2 year old vehicle, I looked up "Escape stalling" on google and found a plethora of complaints. I took it to the dealer today and mentioned what was happening with the car and what I had seen on the internet and he didn't give any credence to it. I am still waiting for a diagnosis and hope the problem can be repaired. Luckily there was no one behind me either time...but this could have easily been a very nasty accident because there is no warning that the car is going to stall. Notes: I purchased the vehicle in NJ February 2011

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 232013

While driving on my morning work commute I was stunned when my 2011 Ford Escape just became unresponsive and was coasting on a 5 lane freeway doing 65 mph. I really did not know what was going on since the only signal that could classify a problem was the little wrench light at the bottom left of the dashboard that was on. I did not do anything out of the ordinary, and I did not notice anything out of the ordinary with the ride. My observations - rpms dropped below 1,000, speed was coasting but dropping since there was no acceleration, electrical was on, steering was sluggish like something was wrong, and a small shaking of the vehicle occurred. The only thing I could do is put my blinker to move to the shoulder but my fellow commuters did not respect that very well. So I promoted my desired to get off the freeway by turning my hazard emergency lights and that's when they started to move away from me to get to the shoulder. My experience did rattle me since I felt hopeless in a sense that I wanted to hit the brake and remembered that I was on a freeway which would be really bad. After pulling over to the shoulder I did manage to turn the vehicle off completely pull the key out and give it about a minute. After I started it up again I figured it was a single occurrence, which I was wrong when it happened again on the way home but I was down the street from my house.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 182013

The car stopped responding to the gas pedal as I was merging into traffic. I pulled over, turned the car off and waited 15 minutes. I turned it back on, had the same behavior when I tried pulling out of the parking lot. I had to toe the vehicle to the dealership. The mechanic knew right away what the issue was, mentioning that it was common. The dealer replaced the throttle body and charged a $100 premium to use my warranty, despite it being a "known" issue.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Aug 312013

I was driving at about 35mph and half way up a slit hill when the check engine and wrench light came on and the engine lost power. I quickly put my hazards on, stopped and restarted the car. Luckily it started right up and I was able to move because I was on the down slop of the hill and other cars could not see me right away.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA