2011 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Sep 182013

Escape

The car stopped responding to the gas pedal as I was merging into traffic. I pulled over, turned the car off and waited 15 minutes. I turned it back on, had the same behavior when I tried pulling out of the parking lot. I had to toe the vehicle to the dealership. The mechanic knew right away what the issue was, mentioning that it was common. The dealer replaced the throttle body and charged a $100 premium to use my warranty, despite it being a "known" issue.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Aug 312013

Escape

I was driving at about 35mph and half way up a slit hill when the check engine and wrench light came on and the engine lost power. I quickly put my hazards on, stopped and restarted the car. Luckily it started right up and I was able to move because I was on the down slop of the hill and other cars could not see me right away.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 202013

Escape

While driving on the highway, my SUV jerked slightly and then just decelerated, and I could not maintain speed. I had to cross over 3 lanes to the side of the road and turned the SUV off. There was no warning, and I had not applied the break. I noticed the wrench light came on the dashboard. I waited a minute and turned the SUV on again. I was able to get to my destination, however, during this trip, the SUV jerked slightly again, but this time there was a slight acceleration. I was able to maintain a safe speed for the remainder of the trip, as it only lasted for a couple seconds. I contacted the service department of the dealership where I purchased the car and where I regularly take the car for maintenance. The serviceman knew exactly what the problem was when I described the problems I was having. He suggested I bring the car in for service as soon as possible. The car was towed to the dealership, and they replaced the electronic throttle. I was told it was not covered under warranty, but since I had an extended warranty, they would only charge me $100. When I picked up the car, I actually paid $106, and I was never informed that this was a recalled part. I should not have been charged anything, as Ford was well aware that this part was defective and have been for many months now.

- Blue Bell, PA, USA

May 012012

Escape

Engine began to stall intermittently at different speeds. Restart vehicle and it would run fine until without warning it would stall again. The wrench would light up on dashboard when stalling. Took vehicle to Ford to have checked out, was told throttle body needed to be replaced. Of course it was out of warranty. Three hundred forty five dollars later it seemed to be repaired, that is until today 09/21/2013 it started to have the same stalling condition. Will be taking it back to have it checked out again asap before it causes an accident. The vehicle now has 62,328 miles on it. We also have trouble with the check engine light coming on intermittently. The obd indicates the O2 sensors are not heating up properly. This seems to mostly happen when the weather is cold or sometimes when it rains. Weird ! thank you so much for your assistance in this matter. Automakers need to be held responsible by some one for selling unreliable and dangerous vehicles to us and then expect us to keep paying for their mistakes! thank you

- Marrero, LA, USA

Sep 202013

Escape

While driving down the highway my vehicle went straight to limp mode with no warning at all. I had to pull to the side of the highway while traffic was stopping behind me and trying to pass me. A wrench light and check engine light came on and I could not throttle my vehicle at all. I cut the ignition off, let it sit a minute and cranked it again. The problem went away. This has happened numerous times the last 2 days. It has happened while trying to go through intersections and while turning across traffic. The diagnostics at advanced auto shows throttle body stuck open. This is a very dangerous situation that seems to be happening to a lot of these vehicles.

- Williamston, NC, USA

Sep 192013

Escape 6-cyl

My daughter was entering an intersection preparing to turn left. When she got enough of a clearing between vehicles to turn she went to accelerate to go thru with the left turn and she had no gas to go. The peddle hit the floor and the car died. She was able to coast thru the light with out being hit. But after that the car had to be towed home. We had to replace the throttle body on the vehicle. She was very lucky not to be in a serious crash because of this part going bad!

- Willard, OH, USA

Sep 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Traveling in a highway, car suddenly decelerates and engine slows to about 800 RPM. The car engine does not shut off but pressing on accelerator has no effect on engine speed and the car will not move forward. Putting it in park or neutral has no effect either. I was able to turn the engine off using ignition switch and when I turned it back on the throttle operated normally. From the first time the incident has occurred it has repeated itself every few days with repeats getting more often. I was out of state when it occurred so had to return home to get car repaired. Waiting on appointment now.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Sep 052013

Escape

Traveling at 40mph yielding onto an entrance ramp and the car just dies with no warning. Stop the car and it started back up. Drove it for another day with no problems and two days later it died againg trying to accelerate. It has since repeated this 4 times.

- Harpers Ferry, WV, USA

Aug 302013

Escape

Pulling onto a exit ramp, lost throttle response, rpms were erratic 1000. Was able to off to the side, turned engine off, waited a few minutes, restarted. Drove another 2 or so miles, same issue, but now with engine light on and wrench light on. After another wait and restart, same result. Three failures in 7 miles. Upon arriving home, I used my obd code reader to pull a "P2112) fault code. I purchased and replaced the throttle plate controller, ($350) that evening from my local Ford dealer. So far, a week later (knock on wood), have not had another occurrence. Btw the replacement Ford part is a different updated part.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Aug 012013

Escape

The car went into limp mode while driving... gas pedal would not do anything until I pulled over and restarted. Wrench light and check engine come on, but go off after car is restarted. Took to dealer today after about 6 occurrences in the past month. It seems to be happening more frequently.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Aug 292013

Escape

I was traveling on interstate at 65-70 mph, when my Escape's RPM's all of a sudden dropped to 1 and would not react to the gas pedal, luckily I was in the slow lane and managed to coast off the interstate. There was an 18-wheeler behind me and I started to panic at the speed he was gaining on me. I finally managed to get my hazards on to notify him that I was having issues. If I had not have been in the slow lane I would not have been able to get off the interstate before the car stopped completely. This is very dangerous, if I had been in the far left lane or the middle lanes the car could have stopped in the middle of the interstate. I took the vehicle to the Ford store and they informed me that it was the throttle body. I then googled the problem and found out that this is a real issue with a large majority of the vehicles not just a limited faulty part. I don't understand how Ford cannot see that this is a safety issue if someone goes to make a left turn and this happens another car could crash into them. Anytime your car does not react properly it becomes a safety issue. When an 18-wheeler is behind a vehicle that responds the way mine did today it is a safety issue. As you know a fully loaded tractor trailer cannot stop as easily as a passenger vehicle and if the vehicle in front of them all of a sudden looses power and cannot get out of their way there is going to be an accident. Once I got stopped my car did restart but getting to that point was very scary.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Aug 222013

Escape

While driving home from work on the highway out of nowhere the check engine light came on and the throttle stopped working. I put the vehicle in neutral and still no throttle response, had to pull over on the highway, turn the vehicle off, turned it back on and ran fine O the way home. 2 days later drove the vehicle to work again and drove fine but on the way home from work the exact same thing happened 7 times! after the 4th time it happened on the way home the check engine light stayed on even though the throttle came back after turning the vehicle back on. Stopped at the local auto parts store to get the code and found out it was the throttle body stuck closed. The fact that this has happened that many times on the highway is a real danger to myself and others on the road way.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 6-cyl

At first, while driving, the car would shut down and not respond to throttle movement, a huge safety issue in traffic. After pulling over and restarting the car, the problem seemed to go away for a while. The problem seemed to be intermittent the first few times. Finally the car shut down to an idle and would not respond to throttle movement and the wrench and engine lights came on. The car would only run limp mode. The odb codes read a P2111 and P2112 (throttle actuator control stuck open, and throttle actuator stuck closed) respectively. We had to tow the vehicle to the dealer. We were told that the entire throttle body had to be replaced at a cost of $666. The problem is that the part is unavailable for 2 weeks and maybe up to a month. We have 39000 miles on the vehicle, the warranty ran out at 36000. This issue is also not covered under the power train warranty. This seems to be a widespread issue and I am disappointed that Ford is unwilling to make this right and produce a recall.

- American Fork, UT, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle abruptly stalled, wrench light came on, no accelerator pedal. Dangerous situation in traffic, leaving driver stranded. Forced to call for tow truck and have vehicle towed to dealer for repair. Very lucky to be able to steer vehicle to relatively safe location. Dealer replaced electronic throttle body. E-mailed Ford, but no response at this time.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Aug 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine loss of power, would. Not accelerate, got out of traffic, put on 4ways, engine would only idle very rough, check engine light and wrench were on, shut off engine restarted after long cranking, started resumed trip, about 5 miles happened again, I did same, after restarted drove 12 miles home. This issue is extremely dangerous. I have found over 2 hundred reports of the same problem upon first try and I was using 2011 Escape. Ihave since become aware that this problem affects multiple models and years. Ford talks about safe mode" how safe is a 5 mph or less vehicle in a 70 mph belt way????? how about a 1 minute to stall mode??? or get off the road now?" it would appear they are aware of the issues and more concerned as to the ones that are in warranty!!! in other words protect the engine let the passenger fend for themselves. This has occurred multiple times at multiple speeds. Went to Ford they suggested appointment, 1 week was first available, if problem is throttle body part may be on back order, lovely,

- Kittanning, PA, USA

Aug 152013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine lost power but did not die. It would still creep along about 2 mph. The gear light was showing on the dash. The obd code was read by a local auto parts shop as P2112 -- throttle actuator control system - stuck closed. Recommended action from Ford was to replace the throttle body. I purchased the part from a local Ford dealer for $324 plus tax and installed myself. Problem was resolved.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Aug 202013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving back from lunch and as I accelerated up a slight interstate hill, I experienced no acceleration. I immediately went to neutral and tried to rev the engine, nothing. I coasted to the emergency lane where I safely stopped and placed the car in park. Once in park, it was vibrating, sputtering and slightly lunging so I turned the car off. I sat for a few minutes, then restarted my vehicle. I was concerned about merging into traffic, so I turned on my emergency flashers and rode with them on for the remainder of my 15 minute drive. I immediately called my dealer and scheduled an appointment for the next morning. On my way home, the same scenario occurred 2 more times. Thank heavens for emergency lanes!

- Vestavia, AL, USA

Aug 192013

Escape

Engine loss of power, would. Not accelerate, got out of traffic, put on 4ways, engine would only idle very rough, check engine light and wrench were on, shut off engine restarted after long cranking started resumed trip, about 5 miles happened again did same, after restarted drove 12 miles home. This issue is extremely dangerous. I have found over 2 hundred reports of the same problem upon first try.

- Kittanning, PA, USA

Aug 122013

Escape

While driving at interstate speeds (65 mph), the vehicle just seemed to stop, but the engine was still running. I had just gone over a bridge and was able to coast down and pull off the side of the road. A yellow wrench was displayed in the instrument panel. I turned the vehicle off and removed the key. After waiting for a minute, I was able to start the vehicle and return home. This has happened three times now. I called the dealership who informed me that this was not covered by warranty and they have had several repairs related to this. So much that the technician knew the part number by heart and was able to provide a quote without doing any paperwork or even looking at the vehicle. I live on the coast where there are several bridges and tunnels. Had I chose to drive through the tunnel instead of taking the bridge, I have no doubt that this issue would have caused a very bad accident. There needs to be a recall on this and Ford needs to step up and fix the problem instead of making a killing off the unsuspecting consumer at the sum of over $400 a pop.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 152011

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on a mayor highway a 65/70 mph when the vehicle lost power, was not able to accelerate, coasted to the side, an orange wrench sign and check engine sign appear on the dash, after turning vehicle on and off several times it went back to normal, this happened several times over the last year and a half, the first time dealer claimed there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and charged me $ $74.95 for a" throttle body service" ( thank you hemborg Ford - norco, California ) took vehicle back to dealer a year later 7-23 2013 and was informed that the etb (electronic throttle body ) needed to be replaced ( same part that I paid $74.95 to have it "cleaned" before) now this vehicle misfire and jerks on take off from a dead stop. I call Ford, but was told that there is not an service call or recall for this particular vehicle.

- Corona, CA, USA