2011 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Aug 122013

Escape 6-cyl

From a dead stop at a light, pressed on gas peddle and engine didn't die, but would only crawl along at 1 or 2 mph. Made it to a gas station, then turned off engine, restarted, and everything seemed fine. This however happened several times since. Took it to Ford dealership the service rep said it was probably the throttle body. (upon researching, it appears Ford has put defective throttle body parts in several model year's of the Escape.)

- Spring, TX, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Driving home on 4 lane highway at posted speed limit of 45 mph. Suddenly engine seemed to loose power and began to slow down. Pushing down on accelerator had no effect. Finally engine died. Restarted engine but car only jerked and jolted as it tried to go forward. Engine died and restarted a couple more times, then didn't want to restart at all. Warning light on instrument panel showed an orange wrench. A city patrolman came soon and called for a tow truck as it was dark and we were on a narrow shoulder of the road. He said we were in a dangerous place. After repairs at Ford dealer, we were told it was a failed throttle body. This is the second Ford Escape in our immediate family to incur this throttle body problem/failure in just a few short months. The other one stopped in the middle of a busy intersection.

- League City, TX, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Driving to work on the freeway in the express lane and trying to accelerate and got no response from the engine. Had to coast over to the side during morning rush hour. Shut car off. Tried to restart and it worked. Took off again and it happened again about three miles down the road. It just cuts off with no warning. Happened about 4 more times before I could get it in the shop. It was the throttle body.$291.91 for the parts and $296.0 for labor.

- Aurora, OH, USA

Aug 082013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine suddenly reduces to high idle - throttle totally unresponsive. Turning engine off and restarting temporarily restores performance. I endorse the ongoing NHTSA investigation of this well known problem which is a severe safety threat as the vehicle unpredictably looses all power in the middle of other traffic.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Aug 112013

Escape

Car died while crossing four lane highway- no throttle response, almost got hit B Y semi suppose to have 60000 mile warranty on drive train Ford garage said no to warranty claim. Throttle body had to be replaced at my expense.

- Tipton, IN, USA

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on an expressway around 35-40mph, vehicle experienced a sudden loss of power and went into limp mode (less than 1000rpm) with a wrench indicator illuminated on the dashboard. Pulled over, shut down vehicle and then restarted engine. Vehicle was driven home and taken to the dealership the next day. Ford diagnosed and is replacing the throttle body under powertrain warranty.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 022013

Escape

I was driving on the interstate when all of a sudden lost power and accelerator became inoperative and small wrench light came on indicating a problem.. pull over to side of highway and turned off motor. Waited several minutes and started vehicle back up and was fine again. Drove vehicle several days later in city traffic and same thing occurred. Took vehicle to Ford dealer and they said it needed an electronic throttle body. This is definitely a safety issue and needs an immediate recall.

- Conover, NC, USA

Aug 052013

Escape

When trying to accelerate into traffic, the engine dropped to idle and the gas pedal had no affect. Temporary solution was to pull over, turn engine off, restart (which required excessive cranking) which seemed to resolve the issue. Throttle works again. This issue has now happened 3 additional times and we have parked the car as it is unsafe and unreliable. Ford dealer has no clue about the issue and can't schedule getting it into the shop for at least 2 weeks.

- Buena Vista, CO, USA

Aug 012013

Escape

I was driving my 2011 Ford Escape late at night, when I completely lost power on my vehicle. I was able to safely pull off to the side of the road. As I brought the car to a stop (braking), the car jerked forward before stopping. I shut off the car, and sat for a few moments, wondering what to do. The dash showed a wrench symbol, so I checked the manual to see what it meant. It said something about a fault and the powertrain. I checked to see if the car would restart and it did. I continued to drive, and approximately 10-15 minutes later it did it again. This time at a speed of over 60mph. I made it to my destination and called my husband. He checked the internet to see if anyone else had this problem and was shocked to see all the complaints about this. Thankfully, he read that if I stayed under 60 mph and didn't drive too long it shouldn't happen again. I took the back way home and although it was much longer I made it without a further problem. Why is this problem part(throttle valve) not recalled. And most importantly, and for safety reasons why aren't the owners of these 2011 Escape's made immediately aware of this hazard. This was the closest I came to a fatal accident and not necessarily my own.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving my family in our 2011 Ford Escape at 65mph on an interstate - I suddenly experienced a total loss of power. The engine did not quit - but rather decelerated rapidly to idle speed. I immediately pulled over to the side of the highway and attempted to rev the engine and shift the transmission into park, and then back into drive - with no result. I turned the vehicle off and waited 1 minute, to see if it could possibly be a computer problem. I started the car, revved the engine, shifted into drive and proceeded at normal speed. The following day this same thing happened to my wife on another highway. I called a Ford dealer and a trustworthy repair shop - and they both pointed to the throttle body assembly in the fuel system - which seems to be a common problem. I had a new throttle body installed after a Ford dealer hooked up diagnostic equipment and verified the issue. Repair cost was $513.68 parts and labor. I feel that this is a very dangerous condition - and a recall of the vehicles equipped with this part, should be happen immediately. I have read many other accounts on the internet of this exact condition. It is just a mater of time before a failure like this will occur - and a following vehicle - perhaps a semi-truck will not be able to stop in time causing a very serious injury or fatality. Luckily my wife and I were in light traffic on the freeway.

- Galena, OH, USA

Jul 282013

Escape

The car is running then the accelerator stops working.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Aug 052013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at speeds from 50 - 65 mph, my Escape will suddenly lose power. The engine remains running, but the accelerator pedal has no effect. The vehicle will continue to move very slowly after moving to the shoulder of the road. The "wrench" light is indicated on the dash. After coming to a stop, turning the engine off and restarting, the problem is temporarily resolved. After some research on the NHTSA site, this same problem occurs in the Escape and Ford Fusion. Ford is completely aware of the problem, but has not issued a recall. The problem is the throttle control body. A local Ford dealer offered to replace the part for approximately $600. I purchased the part for $350 and will replace myself as it is a simple 10 minute job. This is a very dangerous defect and I wish that Ford would take this seriously.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Escape 6-cyl

While accelerating from a stopped position the gas pedal stopped working and the car came to an idle speed in traffic. I exited highway and idled onto the ramp to the nearest parking lot. After turning the car off for a while and tried to restart with hesitation and was able to drive home and to the nearest Ford dealership the next day.(crossroads Ford- indian trail, nc) the service department cleaned the injectors and fuel throttle body along with a oil change and transmission flush.($300) the car still had a idling issue but I thought it was just left over residue cleaning itself out.( I have complained of shifting problems/acceleration problems with car since purchase in 2011. I have taken it into keith hawthorne Ford of belmont (where purchased) several times with this complaint. Nothing could ever be found.) the second incident date is 8-2-13. I was on hwy 74 in indian trail and had pulled out ahead of traffic leaving a stop light with plenty of time to accelerate to speed and the gas pedal stopped working again. I put my flashers on and idled to the next parking lot on the right which was a food lion shopping center. I was almost rear-ended by a red & white tractor trailer because he couldn't slow down in time, it just was able to get in the left lane before hitting me. Several cars were backed up and slamming on brakes to keep from hitting me. There was no safe place to pull over so I had to idle to the parking lot. I turned the car off as in the earlier incident and got it restarted and was able to drive it the mile or 2 back to crossroads Ford. I received a call today from the service staff that the fuel throttle body needed to be replaced and it would cost an additional $500 to which they would deduct $100 for the service performed 2 days earlier. The car remains at the crossroads Ford while I await a call from a customer service agent for this issue.

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Jul 132013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was driving approximately 50 mph when gas pedal on 2011 Ford Escape V6 became unresponsive. Got vehicle to shoulder after almost crashing in traffic. Red wrench light on dashboard was on. Turned vehicle off then restarted and appeared to be ok. Drove home approx. 10 miles. Took to dealer who checked codes and found nothing wrong. Told us the only way to get the code was to have it towed in without a restart because computer does not store wrench light indicator codes. Restarting clears the code. Local Ford dealer was not helpful. Investigated this problem and found that was most likely a throttle body problem. There are many owners with the same issue. It is on the short list for a recall. Purchased an obd II sensor and plugged in while driving to get the code. Problem happened again with a fault code of P2111 - throttle actuator control system - stuck open.

- Trafford, PA, USA

Aug 292012

Escape 6-cyl

Driving approximately 40-45 mph when engine jerked and shut down. Lost speed and noticed the now no speed / idling engine running very rough. The wrench symbol appeared on instrument cluster indicating throttle/powertrain issue. Restarted car and drove approximately 2 blocks when the engine shut down again, this time the check engine light appeared as well as the wrench symbol. Luckily we were able to limp home several blocks. Immediately began a search the internet for similar issues and discovered that many people had experienced the same issue with their Escape models. Took it to the mechanic who did a computer check and indicated P-2011 and P-2012 codes. Also noted in my search where many folks think a recall is in order........I completely agree. The part is faulty and will cause an accident in the future if it is ignored. Was able to get the vehicle to the dealership for repairs. The mechanic at the dealership told me they had at least two occurrences a week with the Escapes, Fusion, and similar cars that used the throttle part. The internet search revealed the magnitude of the problem indicating a major problem with the throttle part. Recall? you bet before someone get hurt..

- Webster, TX, USA

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle was on the highway and lost power, this was the second time that this had happened in two weeks. The dealer was not able to determine the problem the first go around. Vehicle would start but had no power, engine light and service wrench, had vehicle towed to dealership. They determined it to be a bad throttle body, which was not covered under my warranty.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 312013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate on afternoon 31jul13, traveling approximately 60 mph with foot on the accelerator when the car began to completely decelerate. RPM went to zero and with foot on the gas pedal no acceleration was possible. Was able to get to the side of the road with emergency blinker lights on. Turned car off. When restarting car, car had issues restarting. Drove for another 7 miles with no warning light or issue. The next morning, 1aug13, while traveling on interstate at about 60mph again, after about 20 min of interstate driving the exact same thing happened again. Was able to then drive slowly to the dealership. Dealership indicated it was a faulty throttle valve that has been very common with these models.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Engine cut out while driving at about 55mph and 'check engine' light lit up on the dashboard. I pulled over to side of road and waited about ten minutes before re-starting vehicle. The vehicle started ok but 'check engine' light stayed on. I took it to service station and they ran diagnostic and got code P2111 - throttle actuator stuck open. I made repair appointment at Ford dealer for next day. While driving home from work the engine stalled at a traffic light but re-started ok.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Jul 192013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving pa turnpike at 10:00 pm 7/19/2013 @ 65 mph sb. Heard thump, wrench lite came on, then engine lite. No power on acceleration. Coasted to side of road. Called aaa. Couldn't start car kept sputtering. Waited for 1 1/2 hours no aaa. Tried to start car. Started. Continued on journey. Next day took to dealer. Got an appointment for 7/23/2013 @ 2pm. Drove car on mon. 7/22/2013. Going 35 mph. Same thing. Thump, wrench lite, engine lite.no power. Coasted to off ramp. Took to dealer on 7/23/2013 for diagnostic.failed throttle body assy. Removed and replaced throttle body and reprogrammed the PCM and retested. Cost..$500.68...out of warranty.

- Dupont, PA, USA

Jul 182013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was taking her mother home on the 18th of July when the Escape started to hesitate and surge going up a hill. When she pressed on the gas pedal there was no response from the engine.the powertrain and engine lights came on so she called me immediately. She was afraid to leave it running so she shut it down. What made things worse was the fact that it was 97 degrees out that day and she had her mother with her who is handicapped. After the engine cooled a bit, I was able to drive it the rest of the way to her mother's house. After dropping her off, the vehicle broke down twice on the way to the repair facility. It turned out to be a problem with the throttle body. As a former mechanic and now a parts person I can say with confidence that this is definitely a safety issue.

- Barboursville, VA, USA