2011 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Jun 182013

Escape

I was making a left turn from a road with a 45 mph limit. I just initiated the turn when it felt like I lost all power & was barely coasting. I waited 'til the road was clear to turn, but now there were 2 cars bearing down on me sounding their horns & with squealing tires as they attempted to avoid hitting me. I barely made it out of the intersection. At what felt like one mph, I drove onto the shoulder, turned off the car & gathered my wits as I was terrified. Turned the car back on & it was the same, but noticed a wrench on the display. Turned my car off & called my mechanic for a tow. While waiting, tried turning the car on again & it worked. Drove to the mechanic & he said it was a throttle body assembly problem, but no code had been set in the computer. He called schaumburg Ford & they said unless a code was set, it was not covered by warranty. I would have to drive the car 'til it failed again & set the code--like driving a time bomb! the next day I went to hopkins Ford where I bought the car 6/30/12 & they said the throttle body assembly failed the test, so it would be covered by warranty, but that it would be at least July before they could get the part because so many have failed & are on order. I would have to drive the car 'til then. Later that day they contacted me & said Ford advised this would not be covered by warranty & the service person estimated the repair at over $500. With this many failed throttle body assemblies, this sounds like a recall item. Sure hope I don't get killed or kill somebody while I wait for the part.

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Jun 152013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the expressway crg G5 at 45mph the engine stalled, with no more power supplied to the car and it rolled to a full stop. The electronic throttle did not operate to accelerate or drive the car any more. The vehicle had to be towed away. The check-engine light and 'wrench' light are on, the associated dtc code is P2112.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving to work on rt. 80 in NJ at about 70 mph in the fast lane when all of a sudden there was no power. I would hit the gas and nothing. Fortunately, my steering and braking was not affected and I was able to coast to the shoulder and turn the truck off. Before that, I noticed the wrench light was lit on the dashboard. I sat for a minute while I looked in my owner's manual to see what the wrench light was for and it said throttle. I turned it back on and after a brief hesitation, it turned over. I pulsed the gas to make sure it was working, then slowly merged back onto the highway. I called my dealership to tell them what happened and they were very nice and asked me to bring it in asap. Since I was almost at work, I said I'd call him back and went to the Ford dealership near my office. There I was told this was a "known issue" and even if it was what he "thought" it was, he was nasty and said "there aren't any parts available anyway..." I asked him if the truck was safe to drive and he hesitated and said "yeah...it should be and that it is a "sporadic" issue." I left that dealership and drove to my office. I called my local dealership back and told them this. They said to bring it in the next day (Saturday) and they would take care of me. This dealership (magarino in sussex, NJ) is amazing! they are helpful, truly care about their customers and made sure that my truck was safe before I left. Even though I didn't have an appointment, they still made the time to get me in! they did have the part in stock, ran all the necessary tests, replaced the part and reprogrammed the computer so that everything would be ok. $400 later (part not under warranty), I was heading home. I hope this helps the possible recall investigation so that no one else has to go through the terrifying and hopeless feeling that I had this past Friday.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

When traveling on highway, vehicle suddenly goes into a limp mode and the "wrench" warning light comes on. Vehicle is able to travel perhaps 30 seconds to one minute further unable to accelerate and seemed to be forced deceleration. I pulled over and turned the car off. I turned the car back on after a few seconds and the warning light was no longer illuminated and I was able to proceed to my destination. Per manual, the "wrench" warning light is for throttle/power train and illuminates when a power train fault has been detected. Have appointment with dealer service in two days.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 082013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling approximately 70 mph on the interstate. My car shifted quickly into a low gear and the wrench light came on the dashboard indicating a powertrain failure. I was able to maneuver off the freeway and shut the car down. It would start up again, and we limped into the Ford dealership which was about 1/4 mile away. The dealership replaced the "throttle body" and indicated I was the "third one this week".

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving the car we start to excel and the car shuts down due to the throttle body not functioning right.

- Marble Falls, TX, USA

May 312013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving car started to shimmy, then would no longer accelerate. Turned off. Restarted and was able to drive home. On the way to the repair shop on June 3, 2013, while driving the car started to shimmy then would no longer accelerate. Turned off. Restarted and was able to drive to the repair shop.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 052013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving westbound on I-10 towards houston, tx, as I came upon rush hour traffic and let off of the accelerator, the engine stalled. I was at an exit and was able to shift to neutral and coast to a stop at a convenience store on the service road. After waiting a few minutes I was able to restart the car and proceeded to get back on I-10 to continue to my destination. As soon as I ran into traffic again and let off of the gas petal, the same thing happened again. I was able to shift to neutral and re-start the vehicle while I was still coasting. This continued for the next 10 miles or so as I attempted to get to the hotel I was staying at, with the engine stalling whenever I released the accelerator, approximately 10 - 12 more times. As I was stuck in rush hour traffic in a strange city, the only way to keep moving forward was to drive with 2 feet; 1 on the accelerator petal and 1 on the brake petal. I would have shift to neutral and press the gas petal to increase rpms in order to keep the engine from stalling. Fortunately it did restart every time and I made it to my destination without getting in a wreck. The car was dropped off at joe myers Ford in houston, tx, on 6/6/13 @ 7:00am to be checked. Upon inspection I was told there is a problem with the throttle assembly and it would need to be replaced. The part is on backorder and won't be in for 3 weeks. I'm 1,500 miles out of the manufacturers warranty, so they called my extended warrant company to arrange for a rental so I can drive back home to new orleans, la. The extended warranty will only pay for 5 days of the rental, so I am awaiting a call back from Ford to see how to proceed with both the rental until my vehicle is repaired and the timing of how long this repair will take.

- Metairie, LA, USA

May 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle was accelerated to cross an intersection and engine decelled to an idle condition - this happened at speed also - very dangerous loss of power without notice - almost caused an accident. Was very intermittent to begin with - dealer attempted tshoot and repair but no codes found - next day after dealer attempt problem happened numerous times and the dealer determined a bad throttle body.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Jun 022013

Escape 6-cyl

In heavy traffic the vehicle loss power with no response from throttle. Managed to pulled out of traffic and notice engine still running and check engine and wrench light on, still no throttle response. Turned off engine and waited 30 minutes. Restarted engine appeared to ran fine. Started down the road got about 5 miles and the same thing happened again. Had vehicle towed to dealer. They told me the throttle body was bad and it would be 2 or more weeks to get the part if we are luckily. They offered no loaner car and told me I could rent a car.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

May 312013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle surged after a stop and would not go. Had to coast off side of road and shut down and re-start vehicle. Has done this multiple times. The throttle body was the culprit per the Ford technician. Part is backordered due to high demand for part. The throttle body is the highest part on order through Ford, indicating an issue with this.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

May 282013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down I-55 in St. Louis, my car lost power. I pulled to the shoulder without incident. The engine was still running but the throttle was inoperative. Turned the key off, waited a few seconds, and started the car. It ran fine, like rebooting a computer. This happened a couple of times before on side streets and it happened one more time before I got home on I-55. Went to the dealer with check engine light on. $98 for diagnosis, throttle body problem. Back order for over 30 days, so this must be a bigger problem. They cleaned the throttle body and fuel system, another $140, which they said would help until the part came in. Car just out of warranty 2700 miles. Kinda scary to lose power when your in traffic.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

May 302013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on interstate at 65mph and vehicle just no longer had any. Accelerator response I pressed repeatedly as vehicles were behind and to the left of me. No response I had to immediately cut hard right off interstate to side of road, vehicle was running rough and engine repair indicator came on still no accelerator response I put vehicle in park turned off ignition and restarted. Vehicle restarted will engine indicator still on but now had accelerator response. Brought to dealer diagnosed as defective throttle body, is on national back order because of failures and was told it is highly unusual for that part to go, especially will so few miles.

- Amsterdam, NY, USA

Apr 092013

Escape

I was driving down the road and all of a sudden my car started slowing down and my gas pedal would not accelerate my car. When I pulled over, my car was jumping on the side of the road. Once I took it to 2 different dealerships, got stranded on the side of the road 4 times, paid $80 for them to run some tests and tell me there was nothing wrong with my car at the first dealership, the second dealership then speculated that it was my throttle body. When I asked them to fix it, I was told the part was on national backorder and there was no telling how long it would be before they got the part in. So they sent me away in my broken car and told me the problem would probably start occurring more frequently until it was fixed. If that is not a clue to the Ford company that they need to do a recall, then I do not know what is. Everyone is obviously experiencing these problems and it happened to me 1,000 miles outside of my warranty. I am irate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ## VIN failed ##

- Troy, AL, USA

Jul 072012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving to work on a Saturday when all of a sudden my car stopped working. Completely turned off and I had to find a way to quickly pull the vehicle on the side of the road. I waited several minutes, tried to start the car again with no success.then I called my insurance company and towed the car to the nearest Ford dealership. I was told there was noting wrong with the car, just the fuel injection needed to be cleaned. Several months later, I experienced the same episode. My husband both some fuel injection cleaner again, but the car still stoles. I do drive a lot with two children, and I am constantly concern something bad will happen on the road.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

May 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle was being driven between 25 and 40 mph and complete loss of drive power/speed occurred (vehicle abruptly slows to ~4 mph). Immediate response to get vehicle to side of road to avoid a collision. This has occurred 4 times in the past 3 weeks (two incidents on 5/19/13). Vehicle will be taken to dealer for inspection/repair week of 5/19/13. Engine stays running at idle, but very rough when in drive. If placed in neutral, engine runs, but will not rev up with gas pedal. No throttle response when issue occurs. After key off and 30 second wait and restart, vehicle performs as intended. No mil lights on dashboard. This is a serious issue.

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

May 022013

Escape 6-cyl

As I was driving, my vehicle with no warning lost power. The engine was still running, but roughly. I could press the accelerator, but it no longer caused the vehicle to accelerate. After waiting for help to arrive, I cut the vehicle off and then tried to restart. The vehicle started fine. I took it to a mechanic who thought the throttle box may be gunked up. I paid to have it cleaned out and for a gas additive to decrease the likelihood that it would happen again. A couple of days later, my Escape stalled again in the same way and with the same results. It has happened 3 times now since May 2nd. I realize there is an investigation into the failure of the throttle body in Ford Escapes including the 2011 model. What is described in the throttle body failure situations is exactly what I am experiencing with my vehicle. I have been fortunate to be in curb lanes and able to maneuver safely off the road each of the times this has happened. If I happen to be in a center highway lane when it happens, I may not be fortunate enough to have an opportunity to restart my vehicle safely.

- Monroe, NC, USA

May 012013

Escape 6-cyl

My daughter was driving the car in Florida going approximately 45 mph. The red light with a wrench came on and the car would not accelerate. She finally got pulled over to the side of the highway and called the dealership in orlando. They told her it could be a throttle body problem or it could just be trying to reset. They suggested she turn everything off (which she already had) and restart in a few minutes. She restarted and everything seemed fine. About a week later, the same thing happened, only worse, and she took the car in to the dealership. It seemed to happen as she was turning a corner. She had to restart the car 3 or 4 times on the way to the dealership. They ran a diagnostic test and said the throttle body needed to be replaced. So far, it's been a week and it is still not fixed because they cannot find the part. She has had to rent a car until the Escape is fixed. Another expense! evidently, 45,000 of these throttle bodies have been replaced and they are using the parts up as fast as they can make them. How safe can this be"?"!!! we plan to have it repaired, but we should not have to pay for this Ford problem.

- Manitou, KY, USA

Apr 272013

Escape 6-cyl

On 27 April 2013 at approximately 0930, I was driving my 2011 Ford Escape at 70mph on I-475 on my way from macon, ga to atlanta, ga when I lost all power and control of my gas pedal/throttle body system. I felt a jerking motion of the vehicle, it began to decelerate, and I noticed the wrench icon light was illuminated on the dash. I did not lose power to the rest of my vehicle, only the ability of the gas pedal to accelerate. I was able to coast across a lane of traffic and come to a stop on the side of the interstate. After turning off the car, I was able to restart it, the warning light turned off, and I once again had power to the gas pedal. After driving approximately 10 more miles, the exact same problem happened again. I was then able to get my vehicle to the Ford dealership, who told me I had a faulty throttle body assembly. They said the throttle was sticking in the closed position and had to be replaced. With so many vehicles having this same problem, I feel this is a major safety concern. I am extremely lucky the interstate was not busy at the time my vehicle stalled twice and my family was not seriously injured or killed from a rear-end collison.

- Warner Robins , GA, USA

Apr 112013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down a road going approx. 50mph, I suddenly, and without warning, lost power to the vehicle. Pulled over to the side of the road and while applying the brakes, it would tend to lunge forward. Once stopped, I placed in park, shut off engine the attempted to start up again. It did start up, however, it happened 2 more times later that day. I would hate for this to happen while trying to make a left hand turn with oncoming traffic....could be deadly!!! Ford needs to step up to the plate and make this right as I have now read far too many complaints about this exact same thing. The next occurrence could be injury or even death. I should note that as of 1 week later, I have not had the problem fixed yet and the incident described above has happened at least 2 times per day now.

- Greenacres, FL, USA