2.7

2011 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 172016

Escape

2times vehicle lost all power, steering and brakes. Advised it is due to needing a new throttle body. Both times the vehicle was in motion on a highway.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Aug 052016

Escape

Car keeps stalling. While accelerating as well as at freeway speed (on streets and on the freeway). The obd-II reader says its code P2111 which is for the throttle body. Got it leaned immediately after stall. Immediately after picking it up from the shop, it stalled again, showing the same code on the reader. Upon further research these seem to be defective on many Ford Escapes of this year.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Escape

Several times when driving the car at a high rate of speed (55+) the smell of gas fumes are very strong inside the car. This is espically true when the A/C/ is on high.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jan 262016

Escape

I had oil leakage in Jan 2015 and took it to dealership. They said its pto side cover gasket leaking. Car had only 48117 miles. Had extended warranty. They fixed it. Now again in a year I took car for regular oil change and they discover other leak. I don't see oil on the garage floor though. This time it's timing cover gasket. Don't have extended warranty any more. They said it will cost $1340 plus tax. I took it for second opinion and they said no leakage on timing cover gasket but same leak what I had it last year. They worded differently. They call it transfer case cover leaking. Car has only 66300 miles. Not understanding why car can have leakage problem in such low mileage. Ford need to look into these.

- Puyalllup, WA, USA

Dec 092015

Escape

Vehicle was parked for 4 days in driveway. Vehicle engine compartment became engulfed in flames unexpectedly. Cause unknown. A 2014 recall related to throttle body is suspicious. Recall was addressed under customer satisfaction program 13N03.

- York, PA, USA

Nov 092015

Escape

When driving car going about 45mph.car shut off and wrench will appear on dashboard. I have been able to coast off the road, shut off car wait for a few minutes and restart car. I am in fear that car will shut off in area where there is no shoulder and I will be hit from behind. There seems to be a pattern building with this same problem, same model, same year.

- Kihei, HI, USA

Oct 252015

Escape

I heard a loud pop while driving down the freeway. The sunroof had shattered and had a large hole in the middle of it. No object hit the car to cause this to happen.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Jul 072015

Escape

Today was the worst it has been, it al started about 2 months ago, it just happens without warning of any kind. But today the first time was on my way to work, luckily I had a place to pull off, turn off engine sit and start it back, not immediate I may say ( a little hesitation in the starting) then the second time (today) happened in an intersection same process, but this time was very scary, seeing how cars were coming at me honking and going around me. Then the third time (today) was on my way home from work, with my grandson in the car I might add, this accrued not 30 minutes after the 2nd incident. I had to pull off the road and repeat the process to get going again. If this continues to occur, it could turn into a very bad accident.

- Kingston, TN, USA

Jul 302015

Escape

Sun roof shattered while in hot sun, later blew out onto the highway

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jul 222015

Escape

First date of occurrence: 7/22/15 I was driving about 40 mph and it seemed as though even though I had fuel in my gas tank, that the car was running out of gas. I put it in park, turned it off and turned it back on again and it ran fine. (vehicle began kind of sputtering and when I pressed on the gas petal, it was like it didn't work at all.) was driving a distance of approximately 25 miles when this happened. Second date of occurrence: 7/24/15 I was driving about 50 mph and the same issue mentioned above happened. When I turned the vehicle back on, it took it a few seconds to turn back on. Third date of occurrence: 7/25/15 I was driving about 50 mph and the same issue mentioned above happened. Took vehicle to a shop on 7/27/15 and they said they could not find anything wrong with it. Fourth date of occurrence: 7/29/15 I was driving about 40 mph and the same issue mentioned above happened. Drove approximately 2 miles when this occurred. Fifth date of occurrence: 7/30/15 I was driving 40-50 mph and drove approximately 7 miles when this occurred. Had a diagnostics machine hooked up to vehicle and it read error code P2111 throttle actuator stuck open.

- Maumelle, AR, USA

Nov 012014

Escape

My car will be idling and suddenly power down. Recently while I have been slowing down at a traffic light, stop light, or braking for traffic it will power down. After researching online I have found that hundreds of other Ford Escape owners have had the same issue, some have had it happen while driving at high rates of speed. I have taken it to 4 different mechanics, 2 of which are Ford dealerships and they work on it charge me a lot of money and it continues to happen. Almost a year now! I'm fed up.

- Frederick, OK, USA

Apr 172015

Escape

I was at a traffic light and turning left to make the turn and go up the hill. The car lost power and I actually thought it had stalled. The car has done this for me numerous times and I am afraid it will cause an accident where someone will hit me in the rear when my car does not accelerate

- Walnutport, PA, USA

Dec 012011

Escape

I bought this car in 2012 and have since noticed the vehicle losing the ability to accelerate. No matter how far I push down on the gas it will not accelerate. After a minute or two of stalling, it will sputter and shut off. I took it to the auto shop to make sure that it was not misfiring a piston, or that their was anything immediately wrong, but they could not give me an answer to why it would not accelerate. My transmission also stalls in gears and will not shift when driving down the road. Same deal took it in and received no answer. The back hatch glass also leaks terribly when it rains and I cannot get it to seal at all.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Apr 092015

Escape

I was accelerating to merge onto I-495 in northern Virginia, attaining a speed of approximately 55 mph. When I removed my foot from the gas pedal (because I had reached my desired speed), the car continued to accelerate uncontrollably. I applied full pressure to the break with both feet, but the car continued to surge forward. I attained a speed of almost 100 mph, even with both feet fully decompressing the break. Both shoulders of the interstate had construction, so there was no shoulder to utilize on either side. After weaving in and out of traffic, I finally found a suitable off ramp. After pulling the emergency break, putting the car in neutral, and eventually park, the car came to a very abrupt stop (just before I reached a busy intersection at the end of the off ramp). The breaks continued to smoke for another 45 minutes after coming to a stop and cutting the engine. I do not know how I'm alive, but I am grateful.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 162015

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle was parked in garage. The rear hatch window exploded into hundred's of pieces. Low temperature last night 50 degrees, 60 degrees at time of incident.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Mar 112014

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving at 11 pm on a country road, when my vehicle just stopped, I coasted around a corner and put on my flashers. I was in the middle of no where and it was very dark. This is the third time this has happened to this vehicle. I contacted Ford road side emergency service and they informed my vehicle was no longer under warranty for towing and I would have to pay for the wrecker. I had just got the vehicle out of the shop from the Ford dealer for the same problem, which they had for over two weeks because they said they were waiting on a part because they said it was the fuel pump and no one had one so they had to order it. I got the car out that day about 11am, which I had to pay $176, plus over $30.. for a rental for 5 days, that's all they would cover. I had to sat in the dark and rain for two hours waiting on a wrecker in the middle of the road. I am 67 years old and thank goodness my sister in law was with me, because I don't know what would have happened. The wrecker towed my vehicle to Ford and I am waiting on them to open so I can call them so they can tell me what is wrong.

- Dayton, TX, USA

Nov 012014

Escape

As I was driving my car lost it throttle. The engine continued to run but I had no ability to accelerate. I pulled the car over. Turned it off, then back on and the car appeared to show no issues. About two weeks later the issue appeared again. Same solution. From my research this appears to be a common issue and could very much endanger anyone in the vehicle

- Lewisvill, TX, USA

Aug 192014

Escape

Part broke apart in A/C system and A/C unit stopped working. This is not a wearable part and Ford refuses to fix. The car is just outside of warranty. The vehicle was purchased in winter and the A/C was never tested to see if it was working.

- Cary, IL, USA

Jul 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Car stalled multiple times on road and would not accelerate. When at stop it would jerk back and forth and the RPM gauge would jump up and down.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Apr 112013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down a road going approx. 50mph, I suddenly, and without warning, lost power to the vehicle. Pulled over to the side of the road and while applying the brakes, it would tend to lunge forward. Once stopped, I placed in park, shut off engine the attempted to start up again. It did start up, however, it happened 2 more times later that day. I would hate for this to happen while trying to make a left hand turn with oncoming traffic....could be deadly!!! Ford needs to step up to the plate and make this right as I have now read far too many complaints about this exact same thing. The next occurrence could be injury or even death. I should note that as of 1 week later, I have not had the problem fixed yet and the incident described above has happened at least 2 times per day now.

- Greenacres, FL, USA