CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Ford Escape has an acceptable complaint history so far, with leaking rear window problems showing up as the main concern so far. NHTSA complaint data shows an early pattern of problems with stalling while driving.

Another concern is the 2012 Escape rolled onto its roof during an NHTSA side impact test so it only received a marginal side impact rating ... not good.

3.2

2012 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Escape:

2012 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Nov 212016

Escape

Auto door lock / unlock feature will not allow a person in the rear passenger seat to Escape from a disabled vehicle if the driver is incapacitated.

- Coxs Creek, KY, USA

Aug 232016

Escape

Rear window exploded on its own while parked in a mountain fishing lot

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 122015

Escape

Ac unit quit working at 42000 miles. The rear window leaks, bad latches.

- Lykens, PA, USA

Jul 312016

Escape

Rear lift glass hinges corrode and snap. My hinges broke while stationary the vehicle was at rest and the lift gate was not in use.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Feb 032016

Escape

When I turn it makes a pop, the tail gate (trunk) will not open and back light shortage out at times. Car balls out sometime when I'm trying to go and will idle up on its own at times.

- Kilgore, TX, USA

Nov 102015

Escape

May 7, 2013, I woke up to find a puddle of water on the floor on both sides of my car. The dealership inspected it and cleared both front sunroof drain tubes. They also inspected, removed and installed front seats and center console for carpet cleaning (according to my invoice). I was told the water was there because the sunroof drain tubes dumped water onto the floor of my car. March 31, 2014, I took my car again to the dealership because again I had water on the floor of my car. They wanted me to pay for a diagnosis of having water on the floor of my car. After speaking with the dealership unsuccessfully, and taking my floor soaked car back home. I spoke with a regional representative. They were willing to cover the price of the diagnosis. I took my Escape back to the dealership the following day, according to my invoice they checked the sunroof, then adjusted the sunroof and cleaned sunroof drains. I was told the solution was to 1- avoid trees and 2-have my sunroof tubes blown out at oil changes. I have since avoided trees as much as possible and have had my oil change experts blow out the tubes. November 9, 2015, I woke up to find a puddle of water on my driver's side floor. I called Ford, I was told that a regional rep will contact me by end of day the next day. I had the drain tubes blown out in September at my last oil change. November 10, 2015, I was contacted by the regional rep., I was told I would have to take it to the dealership and pay to have it diagnosed. There was nothing that could be done without a diagnosis, just because this has happened 2 other times, doesn't mean that this is the same thing. That's what I was told. Each time I found the car in my drive way after not being in motion with wet floors.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Aug 172015

Escape

The rear door will not open. When I looked online to see what the problem may be I noticed many complaints of same problem. The rear latch sensor needs to be replaced. The sensor goes bad from water damage caused by leaking rear window. This is a safety concern because all the doors of a vehicle need to be able to open in the event of an accident or emergency exit from vehicle. I feel this should be added to the recall list of rear latch problems that Ford has been experiencing.

- Manville, NJ, USA

Oct 122013

Escape

Sunroof/moonroof of our 2012 Ford Escape exploded for no reason a year and a half after purchase. Luckily, we had the cover shut or it would've injured us and our small child. Ford didn't want to take responsibility for it, they wanted us to claim it on our car insurance. I had (and still have) plenty of pictures documenting that this happened from the inside out. Nothing crashed into the sunroof causing it to explode. It was obvious the sunroof exploded from the inside out; it looked like a volcano. Ford still refused to acknowledge the issue. This could've been a very dangerous sitation. Something needs to be done.

- Jonesboro , AR, USA

Jul 092015

Escape

Tailgate glass opened on its own. Hinge on tailgate glass broke due to corrosion upon closing tailgate glass.

- Peacham, VT, USA

Jun 062015

Escape

As I was backing out of my parking spot my car stalled out and died completely.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Mar 182012

Escape

While driving above 50mph, get a loud thud, thud, sound. Along with a change in interior pressure, or rear wheel problem. Slight vibration noticed. Sound relly hurts ears have to reduce speed below 50 mph. Dealer has failed to make an in depth inspection or test drive SUV. Ford Motor Company has indicated this is within normal operating specifications (more or less). Currently paying for a so called top rtaed Ford product. But I can not enjoy the full capacity of it. More than 30 years of buying a Ford product.

- Chicago, IL, USA