Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

2013 Ford Escape brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Jun 172016

After starting my 2013 Ford Escape, the instrument cluster information display with system warnings and only odometer display went blank. Technicians checked for a bad fuse, but none found. Also, found that there is a recall (15C03 - reprogram instrument panel cluster) issued against 2014 Ford Escape for the same issue.

- New Milford, CT, USA

Feb 232016

Escape 4-cyl

Takata recall.I keep getting an engine light on and I took it to auto zone to find out why. They said it was a coolant bypass value.I see where there was a recall for this but when I called Ford they said it was fixed. They said to keep my receipt and if there was another recall for this problem I could send my paper work in and I would be reimbursed. Apparently the problem was not fixed. Why should I have to pay for something that was recalled and wait to see if there will be another recall to get paid.why shouldn't I be able to take it in and get it fixed as a recall. Maybe something wasn't done right.what should I do I'm positive there will never be another recall and how do I truly know this was fixed in the first place. I just bought the SUV in Aug last year thank you for your time

- Troy, OH, USA

Apr 212016

My engine light came on and my car started to stall and not drive. It started to skip and at as if it was not going to go while driving. When I stopped it started to act as if it was going to cut off in the street. I had to get it towed to a dealership. They said it was my engine wiring system. Cost 500 dollars to fix.

- Hardwick, GA, USA

Dec 192014

My car is a 2013 Escape and since I took it to service and to fix one recall that was causing my car to overheat and shut off engine 1.- (recall no. 13S12) risk of localized overheating of the enginecylinder head that may lead to oil leak filters. And.some other recalls, like 2.- (recall no. 13Y03 fuel line jumper), 3.-(recall no. 14so4 reprogram restrains control), and 4.-(recal no.14S03 exterior door handle) since that day Ive called many times to service manager ivan regarding this. My car has been malfuntioning overheating in the freeway, and in the streets, most of the times, even when it was right out of the service, I was going on a vacation with my family, where I even had D to pay to replace engine coolant bypass valve, $330.18 dlls because my car is over 30,000 miles but not yet 3 years.and at this time they performed another recall "???" yes... this was recall no 14S21 restraints control module replacement. And now when I got my car out of horne Ford nogales AZ. When I turn I hear a sound on the right side of my tires or brakes need a solution please help what can I do I need a solution this is not fair

- Nogales, AZ, USA

Jan 262016

Was in reverse pulling out of drive way, cross traffic indicator went off and car began to shake, put car in drive and drove after it stopped shaking. When I came to the first light the car would not go even as I had accelerator all the way down, the car revved but did not move until a minute later it slowly began to move with accelerator all the way down. Gradually it picked up speed again but kept on shaking. While at the light the car seemed to be loosing electrical power and felt as though it would shut off as it had lost all power before due to the collision indicators sensing a crash.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Engine warning light first began to appear at approximately 35,000 miles. Initially the warning light came on and off after a few weeks, then stayed on permanently until I took it into the dealer. After I left the dealer, the engine light reappeared after approximately a month while I was driving and stayed on steady at approximately 40,000 miles. The dealer stated it had to do with fueling the car. I took particular care in noticing when this current engine light appeared. It was no where near fueling of the car. It was during the operation of the vehicle. Thank god it has not been associated with any "real" issue other than the fact that I can't use the clicker to auto-start my car during what has up until now been a relatively mild winter. This car has been in the shop so many times, I am on a first name basis with the Ford staff. Buy Japan.

- Howard Beach, NY, USA

Nov 162015

On 10-10-2015, our 2013 Ford Escape 4WD started displaying an ABS error code, along with a traction control system error and a "hill start assist not available" error message, simultaneously. The ABS brakes would engage at low travel speed. We took it to the dealer, who determined that a rear wheel sensor had failed. They kept the car for two weeks and returned it on 10-21-2015. It had 24,273 miles on it. Now, 3 weeks later, on 10-16-2015, the very same problem has reoccurred, with the dash lights displaying for the ABS system failure, the traction control system failure and the "hill start assist not available". the ABS system engages at low speeds causing the brakes to grab, rendering the car unsafe to drive. This car is a 'lemon' in our opinion, as it has had 5 major breakdowns, including a major engine problem at 720 miles, a failure of the air bag controller, two problems with the ABS system, as documented herein, and two recalls related to the engine potentially catching on fire due to a fuel leak (a recall, followed by a recall to fix the recall). I sincerely believe that this vehicle is dangerous and have asked the Ford Motor Company to buy back this vehicle several times, but they have refused to do so. I fear that my wife and I are not safe while driving this car due to the high number of defects on this one particular vehicle. I am reporting this ABS/traction control problem since it has now happened twice, as I believe it likely impacts other Ford Escapes made at the same time, and likely indicates a bad batch of wheel sensors that are failing prematurely in the field. Since the failure of the wheel sensor disables the ABS and tcs systems, this is a dangerous defect, as it can happen completely at random. My wife was 100 miles from home last time and had to drive back with the ABS & tcs not functioning.) this car is "unsafe at any speed"!

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jan 132013

Escape 4-cyl

This vehicle should be equipped with a single dedicated dash mounted switch for the traction control "off" function. To disable traction control in low speed situations requiring more traction now involves navigating through four dash mounted information screens while using the steering wheel mounted control buttons. A process that requires taking your view off the road for 5 seconds or more and is potentially dangerous.

- Sobieski, WI, USA